Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME WARP  (Read 19992 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TIME WARP
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2005, 02:29:26 PM »

Ann, apparently, has not caught up.  Ann has, apparently, left the room to dwell on the time change.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2005, 02:32:09 PM »

I just got this e-mail - does anyone have a clew what it's about?

There is a link to my e-mail address on your site that has changed.  It's
located in the last post on Jean DuShon.  It's important that it's changed
because people have gotten in contact with me with work for Jean.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 03:25:29 PM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2005, 02:45:55 PM »

Who the heck is Jean DuShon?  And Oliver Penn??
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 02:47:16 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2005, 02:47:59 PM »

That just sounds like a bunch of:

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2005, 02:48:32 PM »

I just got this e-mail - does anyone have a clew what it's about?

There is a link to my e-mail address on your site that has changed.  It's
located in the last post on Jean DuShon.  It's important that it's changed
because people have gotten in contact with me with work for Jean.  The link says
 "Oliver Penn" with the address algy641@yahoo.com.  The new address is nneprevilo@yahoo.com

??? ??? ???
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »

Yesterday was Hans Christian Andersen’s birthday and this year marks the two hundredth anniversary of his birth.  I loved Andersen's fairly tales and storys when I was child. My special favorites are The Emperor’s New Clothes and The Little Match Girl. I wonder what is/are your DRs favorite/favorites...

One of my favorite adaptations of his stories is Charles Strouse's quasi-opera Nightingale.  The recording features Sarah Brightman and I love it.  I also love the Disney version of "A Little Mermaid" but that's mainly because of the Howard Ashman/Alan Menken songs...not the "happy ending."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that....Jean doesn't need the work.  It's a scam - kinda like what JMK was talking about, only internet age and not carbonated.

Thanks for sharing your Doris impressions, MR BK.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2005, 02:49:33 PM »

DR HISAKA - I also like The Little Mermaid and The Emperor's New Clothes.  And Thumbelina!

Danise

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2005, 03:22:25 PM »

One of the CD's I bought at Footlights was Danny Kaye Sings Hans Christian Andersen .  

I always loved that movie and the stories.  I have the RED, GREEN, BLUE and YEllOW fairy tale books.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2005, 03:53:24 PM »

I don't have much to say, except that I have not yet resorted to doing my homework, and also that I am hungry.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2005, 03:59:57 PM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2005, 04:12:26 PM »

Hmmm.  I do have a vague memory that we may have discussed Jean DuShon.  Anyone else?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2005, 04:13:01 PM »

Hard to believe it's 4:15 already.  Maybe that's because it's really 3:15.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »

Someone stopped by to visit me.  They left a nice note.  Problem is, I was home when they stopped by.  They said they rang the doorbell.  My doorbell is REALLY loud, so I can't imagine why I didn't hear it, even if I was most likely in the den watching TV or something.  I did take some trash out briefly, so if that's when the doorbell rang, then I wouldn't have heard it.  Oh, well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2005, 04:14:48 PM »

POPPYCOCK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2005, 04:15:22 PM »

I wonder if all these errant and truant types will use the time change as an excuse, or if they just couldn't be bothered to drop in and say hello.

George

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »

I've been here, but now I have to leave.  I told my sister that I would help (I'll actually be doing it, not "helping") install new toilet paper holders in her bathrooms...what was I thinking??  So, off to my sister's. :)

It's been nice and sunny most of the day today, but just within the last hour or so it's become completely overcast and now it's raining.  Weird Washington weather. ::)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2005, 04:48:05 PM »

And pews.

No, siree. We have been meeting in a school library for the last FIVE YEARS, which should explain why I have been so impatient with the construction of the new building.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »

Patience is its own reward DRLAURA!  Wait till you are sitting in your new office looking out your new window......and waiting for the choir director to give you the titles of the songs for Sunday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2005, 05:02:43 PM »

Patience is its own reward?  I've been patient and yet, with the exception of about five of us, there has been no reward here at haineshisway.com.  

And to that I say - POPPYCOCK!

Ben

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2005, 05:17:05 PM »

From the information on Jean DuShon page

"Jean was called back to New York to replace the ailing Ruth Brown three weeks before the Broadway opening of the musical, "Blues in the Night" co-starring Leslie Uggams. DuShon received rave reviews from the likes of Frank Rich of the New York Times who said "Miss DuShon is sassy, yet elegant" and from Clive Barnes who called her "indelibly randy" had great things to say about her performance. Others felt that she made history while singing Bessie Smith's "Wasted Life Blues". Audiences gave her standing ovations, the same way they had with Jennifer Holliday's "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going". It was an astonishing performance prompting The Princeton Town Topics to say, "Our nominee for star of the evening is Jean DuShon...she is not only a gifted singer but a gifted actress whose songs are not simply sung, but performed." The Spectrum reported, "The show-stopper is Jean DuShon...hers is a bravura performance which brings down the house".

"Blues in the Night" was so good, it was nominated as best musical of the year at the Tony Awards against "Cats". Strangely, the producers of the show did not push to get DuShon a best actress in a musical nomination which could have saved the show from closing after six months.
"

All the above is true!!! I saw Blues in the Night many times during the New York run. It played at the Rialto, a theatre that was torn down years later during the 42nd Street renovations. It was on Broadway between 42nd & 43rd Streets. The year was 1982 and I had just come back to New York from my time on the road with Sesame Street Live. I was living off my savings and going to the Equity office every day. They give out free theatre tickets (I've mentioned this in the past) to union members so I saw Blues many times. I thought it was wonderful. I agree with the person in the above paragraph, but the show did not get across the board great reviews. The performers were singled out, like Miss DuShon and Leslie Uggams and Debbie Shapiro before became Debbie Shapiro Gravitte.  She (DuShon) was riveting. Her performance of Wasted Life Blues was a heart stopping moment. What a piece of work. I also saw the show in London with Carol Wood. It was much better received in London than in New York and ran much longer, closer to two years. I saw it on the road with Miss Della Reese and I saw it when it came back to New York after the London run. It played at the Minetta Lane Theatre and had a short, ultimately unsuccessful run. I sound like a Blues groupie but all during that time I was friends with the director of the show, Sheldon Epps. He will be directing a new version of Purlie, the musical in San Diego (I belive) and they hope to bring it to New York sometime in the fall or winter.

During that summer of 1982 I also saw Torch Song Trilogy many times  (also for free) with the amazing Mr. Harvey Fierstein and his understudy, Jonathan Hadary. And I saw one of Mr. Nathan Lane's first Broadway performances with Mr. George C. Scott in Present Laughter (a Noel Coward play). It was done at Circle in the Square when that space was still a subscription theatre. I remember laughing until it hurt. Christine Lahti was also in that show. Ah, the memories of 1982.

Kerry, thanks for the mention of dear Mr. DangerMouse

Michael, what a great Web page for Larry! Good work, my friend. I will look at the page more closely tomorrow at work where I have high speed.

Now I want to post this before something happens since I've been writing it forever.

Later.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 05:21:25 PM by Ben »

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2005, 05:26:48 PM »

Christine Lahti was also in that show. Ah, the memories of 1982.

Ben - my memories of Christine Lahti go back even farther.  She and I were both members of the Class of '72 at The University of Michigan.  My friends and I used to go to one-acts every week at the Student Lab Theatre and she was in many, many of them.  I especially remember one called Muck, in which she just deadpanned while all sorts of substances were thrown at her.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2005, 05:51:57 PM »

Here's info on Jean DuShon:

http://www.soul-patrol.com/jazz/dushon.htm

The only thing wrong with the article on Jean DuShon is that it says,

Jean was invited to tour the world in 1991. She perfomed concerts in Mexico, China, India (where she sang gospel with 500 Indian voices behind her), Monaco (for Princess Grace), Canada, France and Australia.

That is very nice, except she must have performed for Princess Grace at the cemetery, since Grace died in 1982.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2005, 05:55:52 PM »

POPPYCOCK!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »

I have to know who Ben played in Sesame Street Live.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2005, 06:08:56 PM »

It is 6:10 and yet yesterday at this time it was 5:10.  

I'm feeling logey.

Ben

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2005, 06:11:36 PM »

Here's a hint. I lived in a Trash Can and signed my autographs "Have a rotten day. All the Worst..."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »

Sweet. I can now say I have dined across the table from Oscar the Grouch!

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2005, 06:20:20 PM »

Here's a hint. I lived in a Trash Can and signed my autographs "Have a rotten day. All the Worst..."

Now, there's a good example of casting "against type."  :D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up