News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SASSY  (Read 3877 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SASSY
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  We are back from great-nephew J’s drive-by birthday party.  He’s 5 today and knew right away that the bill folded up in the card I made was “twenty bucks!” 

:) 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep - got up at noon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »

Happy birthday to Freddie - apparently he's not in the birthday calendar, hence it not being in the notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »

elmore, glad you liked A Carol Christmas.  And the score.  The book was tough and if you'd seen how it was at first you would know how tough I was on it and how it changed and changed and changed.  And it changed again even after it was taped, which was the second weekend.  A major monologue went in for Carol, to address the kind of thing you're talking about and it helped.  If we were to do it again, there'd be a few more changes.  The audiences mostly loved it, but you know I'm a perfectionist.  So, I tried my damndest to get the emotional aspect and the moving aspect into the songs.

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »

I was thinking about A Christmas Carol and how wonderful George C. Scott is, second to the brilliant Alistair Sim, and I forgot to mention watching A Carol Christmas, which I must admit gets a qualified rave.  I liked the cast, the score, which is funny, moving, and full of heart, but I wasn't crazy about the book. I thought it had great ideas like Marley's ghost being a DVD and the three spirits, but it never moved me.  This past Christmas I watched every Christmas Carol I had - Alistair Sim, George C. Scott, Michael Hordern, Patrick Stewart, Basil Rathbone, and the Carl Davis ballet - and only George C. Scott's version moved me. To paraphrase Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Scrooge is not as simple as he seems. 

I loved Blake's ballad, BK; it's wonderful.

You are missing my favorite version with Albert Finney.  I also liked George C. Scott's performance.

Don't forget my favorite SCROOGE.  Everyone should make sure to pull out Tom Birkeland as Scrooge for the winter holidays.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »

So, Florida refuses to release death totals from covid-19 because it makes them look bad and the number released so far is considered highly conservative. Self-serving creeps.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Freddie

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »

Thank you so much, Ginny!
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2020, 01:19:36 PM »

Happy birthday to Freddie - apparently he's not in the birthday calendar, hence it not being in the notes.

Why, er, er, whatever do you mean, BK?  :) :)

Freddie

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »

So I'll be there next year.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »

elmore, glad you liked A Carol Christmas.  And the score.  The book was tough and if you'd seen how it was at first you would know how tough I was on it and how it changed and changed and changed.  And it changed again even after it was taped, which was the second weekend.  A major monologue went in for Carol, to address the kind of thing you're talking about and it helped.  If we were to do it again, there'd be a few more changes.  The audiences mostly loved it, but you know I'm a perfectionist.  So, I tried my damndest to get the emotional aspect and the moving aspect into the songs.

You did good, BK! I'm looking forward to the lyrics book to read the bits I couldn't catch on the video
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Freddie

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »

since the thought of not being able to get out on my birthday must have been something I didn't want to deal with, I guess.

Are you not going anywhere?

I've been very diligent in not leaving the block.  Since my Dad is 99 (fingers, toes, eyes, everything  crossed, 100 Labor Day weekend) I'm trying my best to avoid being in a position where I won't be able to be there if Florida allows us to celebrate his 100th. 

Freddie

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »

Skip always walks Liam anyway, which I only have done when Skip was on a panel or teaching or in rehearsal.

Freddie

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »

Liam doesn't like that we don't go to greet other dogs when I walk him -   I've never been able to keep track of which dogs like him and which do not, so when I walk him, we stay away from other dogs. 

Freddie

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2020, 01:39:37 PM »

track of which dogs like him and which do not

I guess it can happen the other way too. 

Toby especially when he was older after he hurt his shoulder didn't care for some other dogs and I never got the reason, unless it was they had more energy for playing than his shoulder could handle.  .  Dylan seemed to like everyone - but boy, could his mouth clamp shut if he got a treat he shouldn't have on the street.  Toby was better about releasing something if he knew I felt he shouldn't swallow it.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »

I was thinking about A Christmas Carol and how wonderful George C. Scott is, second to the brilliant Alistair Sim, and I forgot to mention watching A Carol Christmas, which I must admit gets a qualified rave.  I liked the cast, the score, which is funny, moving, and full of heart, but I wasn't crazy about the book. I thought it had great ideas like Marley's ghost being a DVD and the three spirits, but it never moved me.  This past Christmas I watched every Christmas Carol I had - Alistair Sim, George C. Scott, Michael Hordern, Patrick Stewart, Basil Rathbone, and the Carl Davis ballet - and only George C. Scott's version moved me. To paraphrase Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Scrooge is not as simple as he seems. 

You are missing my favorite version with Albert Finney.  I also liked George C. Scott's performance.

Don't forget my favorite SCROOGE.  Everyone should make sure to pull out Tom Birkeland as Scrooge for the winter holidays.

I would like to see him as Scrooge.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »

since the thought of not being able to get out on my birthday must have been something I didn't want to deal with, I guess.

Are you not going anywhere?

I've been very diligent in not leaving the block.  Since my Dad is 99 (fingers, toes, eyes, everything  crossed, 100 Labor Day weekend) I'm trying my best to avoid being in a position where I won't be able to be there if Florida allows us to celebrate his 100th. 

I hope you are also getting some exercise. 

Jane

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

Liam doesn't like that we don't go to greet other dogs when I walk him -   I've never been able to keep track of which dogs like him and which do not, so when I walk him, we stay away from other dogs. 

Understandable but poor Liam :)

Freddie

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »

It's only about 5 or 6 times a year that Skip has those events that keep him away the whole day. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »

I have no plans today, but I probably should do some laundry.  We'll see what happens.

Have a good day, all!

Well, laundry hasn't happened, but my mom called and asked if I wanted to come over there and play cards and have dinner, so I'm headed out...as soon as I ketchup on today's posts. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »

I found out I'm 60 because Skip made a special birthday breakfast.   I'd really not thought about it,

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Freddie!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

George

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2020, 02:39:00 PM »

DR Freddie you should enjoy this video of a weatherman & his dog.

https://youtu.be/XehLZLOyVUc

That's funny!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »

It is sunny and 81 degrees here which is fine.

I am running a couple of fans and keeping things comfortable.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »

Scrooge my favorite version, also.

George

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »

So, Florida refuses to release death totals from covid-19 because it makes them look bad and the number released so far is considered highly conservative. Self-serving creeps.

WTF?? >:(

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »

Doesn't it seem like there should be a Kritzerland show this evening?   :)

George

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2020, 02:43:02 PM »

Doesn't it seem like there should be a Kritzerland show this evening?   :)

I hope that there isn't because I'm leaving for my parents' house right now.

Be back later.

ChasSmith

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »

Here's what I did today:  I'd been wanting since...when, last summer??...to put on DEMENTIA 13, to watch it for the first time in years, and to find the Ronald Stein handwritten cue I have here thanks to BK and a most adventurous Indiegogo experience.  :)

My copy of the film is a Roan Group laserdisc (I think there's a BD out there now), so, what happens but the LD player keeps ejecting the disc. Well, these things happen. I hadn't used it in who knows how long. And then I found the batteries in the remote were corroded so I tackled cleaning that up. It looks fine but still isn't working, so I sadly suspect the corrosion went deeper than I can access.

But back to the player. I just kept hitting 'play', and it finally did. I was able to use the remote to my receiver which, like many remotes, is a quasi-"universal" one that can operate various things. Fortunately, I'd programmed it for that long ago.

So the score is very atmospheric and helps the movie considerably, as one would expect from Mr. Stein, and I found the cue. It's played intact, as written on this manuscript, and this is a wonderful thing to have.

ChasSmith

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »

Thanks to BK and DR Elmore for that little conversation regarding A CAROL CHRISTMAS. Agree with all of that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up