Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A TALE OF THE ALLERGIES' LIFE  (Read 28064 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A TALE OF THE ALLERGIES' LIFE
« on: November 06, 2003, 01:00:06 AM »

All right, you've read the notes, now it's time to post until the cows come home.   Let's have fun today, dear readers.  Let's let our hair down and behave with great elan.  Let's glitter and be gay and have so much merriment and mirth and laughter and legs that are teeth ache.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 12:07:35 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:A TALE OF THE ALLERGIES' LIFE
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 01:10:46 AM »

It's almost like cheating being able to have first posts (or near) so easily from this time zone.
TV series "The Jewel in the Crown" - beautiful on so many levels.
Movie: I guess the LOTR  trilogy is not allowed. First thought is thus to go with "Dr Zhivago" because although it is not my favourite (favorite) movie, I don't think it would be destroyed by too many viewings.
CD. the John McGlinn complete "Showboat" which to my mind is one of the greatest recording of the twentieth century.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 01:35:26 AM »

Whoops! Supposed to be a book and not a movie. For me it would be "Cloud Street" by Tim Winton. Once again, a choice that satisfies on a few levels - the story, the landscape depicted, the mythology alluded to and the writing itself. A major piece of work that should be more widely known.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 02:13:15 AM »

Today’s topic of discussion: If you were on a desert island and you had to choose one movie, one book, one CD (no homemade compilations allowed) and one television series that you could have with you, what would your choices be?

Movie: Casablanca
TV Series: Law and Order
Book: Lord of the Rings (All the books in one volume)
CD:  a Capitol records Compilation of Johnny Mercer (This was a hard choice)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 02:18:48 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 02:18:05 AM »

Today’s topic of discussion: If you were on a desert island and you had to choose one movie, one book, one CD (no homemade compilations allowed) and one television series that you could have with you, what would your choices be?

Movie: Casablanca
TV Series: Law and Order
Book: Lord of the Rings (All the books in one volume)
CD:  a Capitol records Compilation of Johnny Mercer (This was a hard choice)

These were my "serious choices"

Here are my humorous choices:

Movie: Castaway (Tom Hanks)
TV Series: Gilligan's Island
Book: Robinson Crusoe
CD: The Best of Marcel Marceau
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 02:48:31 AM »

It's almost like cheating being able to have first posts (or near) so easily from this time zone.
TV series "The Jewel in the Crown" - beautiful on so many levels.
Movie: I guess the LOTR  trilogy is not allowed. First thought is thus to go with "Dr Zhivago" because although it is not my favourite (favorite) movie, I don't think it would be destroyed by too many viewings.
CD. the John McGlinn complete "Showboat" which to my mind is one of the greatest recording of the twentieth century.

Yes, I would have to agree with Tom that Show Boat recording by John McGlinn is one of the great recordings. It was nominated for a Grammy Award and was a very interesting category that year; perhaps one of the toughest years ever.

Into the Woods - Stephen Sondheim, music and lyrics winner
Anything Goes - Cole Porter, composer and lyricist
Chess - Benny Anderson, Bjorn Ulvaeus, composers; Tim Rice, lyricist
Of Thee I Sing/Let 'Em Eat Cake George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin
Show Boat - Jerome Kern, composer; Oscar Hammerstein, lyricist

Three classic scores by great composers/lyricists
Two new scores.

I really wish I knew how the voters vote in this category. As much as I liked Sondheim and Into the Woods I would have voted (If I could) for Show Boat for the quality of the work and what it was attempting to do.

So if anyone knows. What do the Grammy voters take into consideration?

The music and the lyrics of a new recording (Do they ignore them if it’s a "revival" or "studio" version?)
The singers?
The Production Value (i.e. the sound of the recording, mixing etc)

One knows what they look for in other fields but this seems to be an enigma to me. I think they should have more categories in this field. Musicals are such uniquely an American art form they deserve more recognition

Best Original Cast Album (The first time a score has been recorded since the Grammy Awards have started) Award to composer and Producer
Best Revival Cast Album Award to the Producer
Best Compilation Musical Album; A category so recordings like Lost in Boston can have one.
Musical Song of the Year: The most other fields seems to have one
Male Singer
Female Singer
Company
Arrangements with and without vocals
Orchestrations with and without vocals
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 02:48:50 AM »

Lots of wonderful posts from yesterday!  Congratulatons DR Ann on your accomplishment. ;D
I didn't like ONE MORE KISS as much as the other volumes, but as I wrote, I think it's because I had just read EVERYTHING   WAS POSSIBLE.   :-X

Full of allergies AND inundated with footage.  Hopefully the actifed will kick in with great vigor! :o

What a wonderful QAD.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm:

Book:  Atlas Shrugged
Movie:  His Girl Friday
CD:  Carl Orff Carmina Burana
TV Series: I Love Lucy

All very difficult choices....whew!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 03:07:39 AM »

TO  DR. TCB:

In a late posting yesterday (At least late for me) you said:

Jennifer:  I saw Pyramid today, too.  I think history may have been made when Donny Osmond and Bruce Vilanch hugged on national TV.  Not since  Madonna and Britney.............

I believe Bruce and Donny are old friends. Bruce, I believe wrote for The Donny and Marie variety series. BK appeared on the show and perhaps can verify this.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 03:43:07 AM »

Good Morning--I'm typing quick--gotta go to work--

Congrats on the Weight loss (but I think I found it for you if you want it back) Jane!  :D

Thanks for the Congrats, George.  Well nothing is 100% sure until you have it in your hand or paycheck as it where but I think there is a very good chance it will be approved.   :)

I like todays question but will have to think about some of my answers.

Some come easy to the lips/fingers:

Book:  Dune by Frank Herbert

TV show:  Babylon 5

I shall have to consider the rest but it will give me something to think about on the bus ride to and from work!

Have a good day all!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 04:02:00 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the day:

From the 1958 Canadian production Wolf Dog.

Co-star was Jim Davis later of tv's Dallas.

You can't tell it from the photo, but the story concerned a young boy who adopts a wolf-dog after his first dog is killed.

Allison did more for a cotton blouse & cardigan sweater than many other actresses of the time.  This was a family film.  ;D

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 05:19:20 AM »

I think I might need karma sent today. It's been quite a week and it's not ending anytime soon. The company I work for has 4 back to back multi-day special events being hosted here and I am in the weeds. Not in a bed of roses, mind you - but the weeds my friends. I will probably not have a day off in over 2 weeks when this is over and I am working easily 16 hour days. Oh yes.. Karma is definitely needed.. Karma or heroine.. but I think I prefer the Karma ;)

Hope all is well with you H&K's...  Things are definitely a-brewin' here at HHW.  

More later if I can snag a few minutes back at my desk...

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 05:24:22 AM »

I will be errant and truant (and truant and errant) most of the day. My company is sponsoring a very small display of the NAMES Project AIDS Quilt at the office today. I volunteered for the organization for 10 years and the powers that be have asked me to be available with the panels to answer questions and make sure everything goes smoothly so I won't be around my computer much.

Here is the NAMES Project Web site if anyone is interested in seeing Quilt Panels on line.

http://www.aidsquilt.org/

That being said, I wanted to answer at least part of today's question.

The television show is easy for me.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The other questions are more difficult.

Book, perhaps

Cider House Rules by John Irving. I read this book about 15 years ago and it's still with me. I remember riding through the countryside of France in the Deux Cheveaux and crying as I read certain passages. What a moving and wonderful book.

CD is probably the hardest since my favorite CD can change from week to week. I'm going to cheat a little and list two (so sue me, sue me, what can you do me - Thank you Mr. Frank Loesser)

A Wrinkle in Swingtime-Elena Bennett and Fred Barton do a take on Swing music. Great CD.

OCR of Candide. There are so many show CDs to choose from but Make Our Garden Grow is such a glorious number, if I had to have one CD, today I would choose that one.

Movie

I may have to come back to this one. I'm thinking West Side Story because it's one of the first big movie musicals I saw and I fell in love with it (and Eliot Feld - my first crush). Also Singin' in the Rain and The Bandwagon (you KNOW I mean the Fred Astaire version, not the recent release of something by the same name which is not remotely musical) and some others. When I get back to the 'puter I will try to narrow it down.

Bye for now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 11:20:14 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 05:26:31 AM »

As I read the book part I realized, all H&Ks know I wasn't driving as I was reading the book and crying, right??? At least in France they drive on the American side of the road, unlike England and Ireland (I LOVE YOU ENGLAND AND IRELAND, I REALLY DO). That took a lot of getting used to.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 05:32:18 AM »

BTW, (I said I wouldn't be here much but I'm posting my little heart out until I go to the Quilt), for me loading of screens changes from day to day. It depends on many things. Sometimes it is slow, even on a T1 line (nerd alert) and other times, like this morning, it's fast and easy and makes me wish I had broadband at home. But that would mean a possible provider being the EVIL AND HATEFUL TIME WARNER CABLE. Oh, no, ladies and gentlemen, I will not line the pockets of an insufferable, incompetent multi-national corporation any more than I am now. I am in the midst of long-standing problems with this alleged cable provider (too long a story and too anger-inducing for me to go into details) and they have become the utility I love to, hate is such a strong word, so I'll just say DISLIKE INTENSELY.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 05:33:41 AM »

Danise, thanks but the congrats go to Ann.

Tom from Oz, I have never heard of “Cloud Street”.  I will have to check it out.

It’s too early for me to choose ONLY ONE of each.  I have awake since three this morning.  I will say I have seen Casablanca more than any other movie and it is high on my list.  On the other hand, if I could only have one movie, maybe it should be a comedy. If stranded on an island I would need to keep my sense of humor.  For the moment I will choose “Walk Don’t Run”.  I might choose a Dickens book, a thick one like “David Copperfield”.  I think the CD would be Heifetz performing Brocks “Scottish Fantasy”, that or Best of Billy Joel.  I can dance to his music.  A possible pick for a TV show is “The Dick Van Dyke Show”.  I’ll see if I come up with better choices, or simply change my mind, by the end of the day.

Jane

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 05:41:20 AM »

Yes Ben, we know you were not driving while reading and crying.

Craig-sending you Karma until you are out of the weeds.

I’m going to try and go back to sleep or get moving and get some work done.

Jane

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 05:51:26 AM »

I think I’m carrying on a conversation with myself.  I have a question.  It takes four steps to get back in and post.  Any chance we can have a shortcut button on the first page, or am I missing something?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 06:06:26 AM »

One small correction from yesterday: Bruce Vilanch is indeed playing Edna Turnblad in HAIRPSRAY but in the national company. Harvey is still playing it on Broadway.

It is VERY hard to choose one for each of these areas:

TV series - CSI
book: Probably Kurt Ganzl's MUSICAL THEATRE ON RECORD
movie: EVIL UNDER THE SUN
CD: FOLLIES - the Goodspeed cast since it's the complete show with cut songs and variations of songs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 06:07:06 AM »

Hi Jane!  I usually keep HHW running in the background and then when I check the posts, I refresh and the new ones come up. Don't know if that is viable for you.

For all HHW - here is a midi version of EDGAR ALLAN POE from Snoopy!!!
If you have done the show, sing along!  ;D

http://members.aol.com/Starmiters/Midi_Files/Snoopy/Poe.mid

Good vibes to Craig!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]````````````````````````````````````````[/move]

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 06:09:48 AM »

CD: Sweeney Todd
Book: The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach (who not-so-coincidently ALSO writes about Ms. Leslie Parish like Bruce has)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2003, 06:12:16 AM »

Movie - THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
Book - Mandelbaum's NOT SINCE CARRIE
CD - LOST IN BOSTON Volume 1
TV - if this means complete series "I Love Lucy"; if it means one show "Lucy Meets Tallulah" from the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 06:14:55 AM »

Jrand, check this out and see if it brings back memories!  Of special interest is the 5:00 slot on channel 6.  And I'm interested to know if you can guess who is "Carter" of "Coffee with Carter" on channel 4!

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Lot/5023/Carter2.jpg
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 06:26:02 AM »

Very interesting DR Lulu!  I gave you Karma for that!  Did you notice that Franny's show is in COLOR!!!  A friend of mine once went on and he was wearing a very green jacket - she happened to be wearing her RED dress and said good naturedly to him off camera:  "Don't sit too close to me - we'll look like a god-dam Christmas tree!"

My guess would be that Coffee With Carter would have been hosted by Bob Carter AKA Sammy Terry - although from 9 am to 12 noon is a LOT of coffee!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 06:27:35 AM by JRand53 »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 06:28:57 AM »

What an amazing benefit that was last night.  For me, Libby Skala was the knockout, with her scene from Lilia, now playing at Where Eagles Dare.  But of course I think Hillary Chaplain has completely redefinied an art form we all take for granted: clowning.  The glorious voice of Carol Fox Prescott: I've never seen anyone sing with such emotion and joy.  And Joy!  She knocked them dead with Colon Closed Parentheses and How Could They Have Missed?

(I'm very busy working on the CD of Our Wedding - The Musical, coming soon to http://www.weddingmusical.com)

We weren't the only singing couple: the dean of improv teachers, Gary Austin, did some funny songs, as did his guitarist.  His wife, Wenndy MacKenzie, has a lustrous voice (which is why she's on all your favorite rock albums) and puts on quite a show.  Linda Amiel Burns did a funny Ring Them Bells, and my co-host, Larry Rosen, did a great bit of frenetic jazz.

Sorry for anyone who missed it, but, hey, you'd been warned.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 06:54:47 AM »

Spot on, Jrand!  Bob Carter hosted "Coffee with Carter" for three hours, five days a week.  Then he also hosted a kiddie show in the afternoon...17 1/2 hours of nonstop gab per week!  But then, are we really surprised?  Look at how he could bend the ol' ear as Sammy Terry.  Not that I'm complaining...love him!

Thanks for the Karma.    :)

-Lulu
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 07:14:54 AM »

In answer to your question about Grammy voters DR MDS, I suspect many were unfamiliar with the extravagance of McGlinn's SHOWBOAT. They saw that it was a studio cast recording competing with Sondheim's newest score and opted for the new score over the old one.

For me, it would have been hard to pick one. I take nothing away from the magnificent production of SHOW BOAT on that set, but new music and lyrics of such quality also deserve recognition. I guess you knew that for the cast albums, the composer/lyricist only wins a Grammy if the score is in its first recording. When FOLLIES IN CONCERT won for show album, Sondheim did not win a Grammy. He didn't win a Grammy for the original FOLLIES either. That album lost to GODSPELL's original cast album.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 07:18:25 AM »

Jason!

How lovely for you to LEAVE the city ON my birthday. Whoever shall I share ham chunks and cheese slices with now??!??!?!?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 07:56:17 AM »

Well, well, well (that is three wells) - Lulu's back in town.  Welcome to our new world.

Yes, Vilanch wrote for Donny and Marie and I've known him since way back then.

Grammy voters: In the show album category they vote for what they've heard of - plain and simple.  Most of them don't listen to the albums at all.  They "heard" of Smokey Joe's because the show was visible and the producer of the album was a legendary rock producer.  They "heard" of Riverdance (remember, that had one of the hugest publicity campaigns ever, plus the PBS showings) so it won over Rent.  In the case of Showboat - they "heard" of Into the Woods because that year it was very visible and Sondheim's name has always been in the press, even though most of his shows aren't hits.  He was the darling that year.  The voters probably had no idea what Showboat was/is and believe me, they didn't listen to a 3 CD set.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2003, 08:12:05 AM »

Movie: To Kill A Mockingbird
Book: The Lord of the Rings
TV Series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
CD: John Williams' "Summon the Heroes"

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2003, 08:23:33 AM »

Pretty amazing at look at the show albums that didn't win the Grammy for Best Cast Recording:

HELLO, DOLLY didn't win (but Jerry Herman won for the title song as Best Song).

A CHORUS LINE lost to THE WIZ.

DON'T BOTHER ME, I CAN'T COPE beat GREASE, SUGAR, and TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA.

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC won and then TWO years later, "Send in the Clowns" won as Best Song.

NO STRINGS beat FORUM, OLIVER, and STOP THE WORLD.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up