Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A FISTFUL OF NOTES  (Read 31303 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A FISTFUL OF NOTES
« on: April 19, 2005, 11:59:18 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are up on all there is to be up on, and now it is time for you to post until the fistful of cows come home.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 11:59:53 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A FISTFUL OF NOTES
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:02:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: HABERDASHERY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:55:50 AM »

George is apparently sitting at his computer in a drunken stupor and has been for an hour.

This is the worst case of WUSSBURGERING that I can recall.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 12:58:50 AM »

Just watched all the extras on Fistul of Dollars.  The featurettes are done quite simply, and with none of the idiocy of the Warners documentaries.  Here we get only Leone scholar Chris Frayling, Clint himself, and a wonderful short bit with Monte Hellman, who, as it turns out, helmed a network prologue for the film's TV premiere - giving Clint's character a moral reason to be doing all he's doing.  It's included and boy is it wrong.  Of course, Mr. Hellman didn't have Clint, so it's an actor whose face is never shown, who's about six inches shorter than Clint, with a pancho that's close but no cigar.  The main actor in the new scene is Harry Dean Stanton.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 02:47:50 AM »

All by myself.  Thanks for the answer to my LATE NIGHT question DRCP.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....Wednesday.

Things are humming along CD wise and DVD wise - so everything seems to be doing okay in Studio City.

I am still awaiting information about employment, but that is a topic for another day.

Last night I watched KIM with Mr Dean Stockwell and Mr Errol Flynn....and for an adventure movie based on a Rudyard Kipling yarn, thar shur weren't much adventure in it.  I saw it many years ago, I think I was in the first grade, and the movie was 7 years old then.....I don't think I liked it much at that time.  It was okay.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 02:49:08 AM »

Well....my first question....then for ASK BK day this week:

What work of non-fiction do you think best covered a real crime in the truest detail?

There have been several books on the Kennedy-Dallas event that I thought were quite good.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 03:38:29 AM »

Back again and still ALL ALONE.....AGAIN....NATURALLY.

My favorite Sergio Leone western has to be ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST....even though it is MBARNUM'S most UNFAVORITE western movie.  Closely followed by FISTFUL OF DOLLARS.

And I have another question.  After watching a couple of episodes (there were only five) of a Goodson-Todman show called WHAT'S GOING ON?, what do you and the DR's think are the most successful game shows of the past and present - combining entertainment and prizes and fun for the audience?

I have to go with WHAT'S MY LINE?, TO TELL THE TRUTH way back when (not the updated syndicated versions of either which always seemed to feature Soupy Sales) with BEAT THE CLOCK coming very close.  I will also add the original HOLLYWOOD SQUARES.

Today I think WIN BEN STEIN'S MONEY (no longer in production) and JEOPARDY, followed by LINGO.

Dumb shows that never made any sense to me CONCENTRATION, JOKER'S WILD, and YOU DON'T SAY.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 03:39:16 AM by JRand54 »

Danise

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:43:19 AM »

A very quick good morning to all.

Two things.

I get such a kick out of my Mom (you’ll like this one Tom).  They’re talking about passing a law about all the sex offenders.  My Mom just said, “Why don’t they just send them all to an island like they used to.”   I started cracking up—“An Island?” I asked.  “Yes, like Australia.  :o  Didn’t they used to send all the criminals there?”

Aging parents can be a real hoot.  So how does it feel to be on an island, Tom?   :D ;D  Worse, what was your crime? ??? ;D

I was to tired to join the discussion last night but the only comment I want to make is “Those who do not learn from the past, are condemned to repeat it.”  There were a lot of terrible things done but hopefully we have learned from them and will not do them ever again.

Then you have ten year olds shooting and killing their Mom.  Go figure.....  That's progress for ya.    :-\

Good job news JRand!  ICU!   :D

Gotta run!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 04:11:13 AM »

Good morning, all!  I loaded all of my Liz Callaway discs into my computer and she's singing "Joey, Joey" to me as I type this.  I wish I had a car to cruise in as  I listen.

I'm embarassed to admit that I've never seen a Sergio Leone film, so I have no favorite.  I like the music I've heard from them.

Last night, after LAW & ORDER SVU, I watched the first 30-40 minutes of LI'L ABNER, which I hadn't seen in years.  I had forgotten that Michael Kidd didn't adapt the choreography to the fim and that DeeDee Wood was responsible.  Since almost all the original cast seems to be in the film, I'm sure it was an easy transfer.  I'm still unsure how I feel about the new vocal arrangements after listening to Lehman Engel's originals on the OBC for so long.  It was also fun to see Tony Mordente dancing in a comedy after only knowing his work in WEST SIDE STORY.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 04:16:50 AM »

Duck You Sucker aka A Fistful of Dynamite aka Once Upon a Time...the Revolution  aka Giù la testa
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 04:35:19 AM »

A very quick good morning to all.

Two things.

I get such a kick out of my Mom (you’ll like this one Tom).  They’re talking about passing a law about all the sex offenders.  My Mom just said, “Why don’t they just send them all to an island like they used to.”   I started cracking up—“An Island?” I asked.  “Yes, like Australia.  :o  Didn’t they used to send all the criminals there?”

Aging parents can be a real hoot.  So how does it feel to be on an island, Tom?   :D ;D  Worse, what was your crime? ??? ;D

A shame to be transported to Paradise! I am almost ashamed to admit there are no convicts in my family tree - just Welsh/Scottish settlers.  I"ll have to ask OzDerek. He is from Tasmania. He'll know more about convicts. ;)
Young Derek has a new job these days - no computer access at work and totally different hours.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 04:36:38 AM »

TOTD: Not for me. Not westerns and not Clint Eastwood.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 04:44:59 AM »

A shame to be transported to Paradise! I am almost ashamed to admit there are no convicts in my family tree - just Welsh/Scottish settlers.  I"ll have to ask OzDerek. He is from Tasmania. He'll know more about convicts. ;)

Doesn't the Micawber family in DAVID COPPERFELD end up in Australia?  No major criminals there, as I recall, and I believe they relocate willingly.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 05:52:08 AM »

What a day at work yesterday.  :P  Many of the bigwigs were in town.  The head bigwig was very nice, but others were high maintenance.  I had to smile a lot and appear cool, calm and collected (Katy Winters or no Katy Winters).

So, Jack, practice your smiling.  A lot.

Off to breakfast and to practice smiling.....

Maybe I shall just look at everyone today and say, "HABERDASHERY."

I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 05:56:30 AM »

Kerry, there is a touching and wonderful interview/article about Barbara Cook in this week's New York Times magazine. Jose mentioned it earlier. Did you read it (I ask because of your quote by Miss Cook)? If you like, I can e-mail you a copy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 06:03:45 AM »

Dumb shows that never made any sense to me CONCENTRATION, JOKER'S WILD, and YOU DON'T SAY.

LOL!  I loved Concentration when I was a youngen.  It was my favorite game show.  I loved the sound of the revolving squares--"Cha-kunk....clunk!"--and then trying to solve the puzzles.  One of the great thrills of my young life was on an NBC Studios tour where I got to see the actual set.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 06:09:33 AM »

Question for BK:  what stage musical do you think has the most perfect opening number?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 06:21:38 AM »

What work of non-fiction do you think best covered a real crime in the truest detail?

The only book I think I ever read in this genre was Helter Skelter.  Now that was a good read before going to sleep at night  ::).  I had nightmares for weeks.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:58:43 AM »

I have no favorite Sergio Leone films.

But...a couple of my interviewees had been offered the lead in FISTFULL OF DOLLARS...Richard Harrison and Tony Russel both turned it down...Tony Russel said it was one of the worst scripts he had ever read (worse then Wild, Wild Planet?), and the pay for the film was next to nothing, so he did a spy film in Egypt instead.

He ran into Clint Eastwood shortly after Clint finished filming FOD. Clint complained about the lousy script, the heat, no money, etc....he had no idea what a break this movie was going to turn out to be!

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 06:59:40 AM »

JRand54, I will have to tape that game show you mentioned! I have never heard of it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 07:03:06 AM »

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

A great book is "Raven", about JRand's old neighbor Jim Jones.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 07:18:45 AM »

Yestereday, DR Tomovoz told us:

For DRs Jennifer, RLP and MAtt et al

How the choice was made...

And DR Danise asked:

WWSS?*

(What Would Simon Say?)

"Too Broadway!"
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 07:44:35 AM »

"What a poor choice of canticle."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 07:47:49 AM »

I also prefer THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY though once I get reacquainted with ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST via that new transfer, I may switch over to it. I like it very much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 07:49:20 AM »

I almost choked on my Diet COke this morning when I read the USA TODAY writer about AMERICAN IDOL thought last night's top two performances were by Vonzell and Anwar!!! And he thought Anthony was the worst!

What planet do these people live on?

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 07:51:08 AM »

And for some reason, the VARIETY TV critic reviewed AMERICAN IDOL this week, and his choice for the final two:

Carrie and Anwar!!

Well, I think Carrie will be there (though I find her robotic and unengaging). I'd be shocked if Constantine isn't the other.

I think Anwar has a very good chance of going home after tonight.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 08:40:38 AM »

Got back too late to post last night.

JR, my print of WP is a tape made from a 16mm archival print that may or may not be housed in a large University archive that may or may not be located near the City of Studio.  :)  I'm going to have to get it out today--it may indeed have the MCA TV opening, which would explain the exit music.  It does have all of the cut material (including the scene with Mantan Moreland).

And the run-through of Pajama Game went amazingly well (dress isn't until Thursday, and I have another gig that night, so I will be missing dress).  Whoever costumed this show did an amazing job--it's more of an early 60s look, but it is absolutely spot on.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 08:53:55 AM »

Let's hear it for Harry S. Truman, former president of the United States, who was also known as "Haberdasher Harry!"

:D

(Even if he was a Democrat.   ::))

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 08:54:37 AM »

I, like DR elmore, have never seen a Sergio Leone film.  Is this a bad thing??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2005, 08:57:58 AM »

A Pajama Game Ask BK/DR question:  I may be misremembering this, but wasn't Hernando's Hideaway ghosted by someone other than Adler/Ross and interpolated into the show on the road?  For some reason this is ringing a bell with me, and all the scores have completely different manuscript for this number, which is what got me to (mis)remembering in the first place.....
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up