Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A FISTFUL OF NOTES  (Read 31528 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:A FISTFUL OF NOTES
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »

I saw a wonderful film with no villain just last night:  GENTLEMAN JIM starring Errol Flynn.  Not only does it have no villain.  It practically has no conflict either.  Despite all that, it's a wonderful film and one of Flynn's best performances.

I've seen Leone's Once Upon A Times's and the first Clint Eastwood movie.  I remember little or nothing about any of them.  I remember vaguely liking Once Upon A Time In The West, but I've never been able to sit all the way through it again since that first viewing.

I get out to eat maybe once a week (probably two of those times a month are with BK).  I used to go out once a week with pals Larry Drake and Pat Skelton (was once Wally on All My Children), but though we keep saying we have to revive that ritual, we haven't gotten around to it.  Maybe this will be the impetus.

I read a lot of non-fiction history and theatre.  I'm currently reading LONDON, the Wicked City, a fascinating study of London's sexual history from William the Conqueror on up. So it deals with all sorts of criminal activity.  I also have a huge collection of Jack the Ripper material...the best of which is The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow, whose guided tour of Ripper haunts I took.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 11:21:59 AM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2005, 11:19:07 AM »

As for movies without villains...

Hmmm... The closest thing I can think of is "Cinema Paradiso", although Time could be considered the villain in that one in a sense.  I shall have to think some more on this one...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2005, 11:20:21 AM »

PAGE FOUR DANCE!!!

Ooohh!!!

It's CHA-CHA Time!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2005, 11:23:07 AM »

I also have a lot of books on Richard III and the murder of the princes in the tower.  I think he was innocent of the crime.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »

Part of the problem with seeing Leone movies is if they're viewed on TV, not letterboxed.  They are hideous to see that way, and are basically unwatchable.  Seeing the new Once Upon a Time in the West DVD would make a convert out of anyone - it's gorgeous.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2005, 11:44:40 AM »

DRMBARNUM - I watched DO KALIYAN yesterday.  For the uninitiated, this is the Bollywood version of THE PARENT TRAP.  I liked it, lots of nice scenery and the songs were good.  Om Prakash is always funny, the leading man wasn't so good looking, but his acting was okay.  Wonder Baby Sonia in the dual roles of the twins wasn't very IRRITATING and kinda homely - but after all - who could really be better than Hayley??
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2005, 11:52:37 AM »

DR VIXMOM did you have some photos you wanted re-sized.  Email them to me and I will post them for ya!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2005, 11:54:50 AM »

Last night on WHAT'S GOING ON? - what was going on was that Miss Audrey Meadows was at Princeton University dancing with a chorus line made up of Princeton students in drag for their annual show- The Princeton Triangle Show.  And guess who the director of said college show was?  Mr. Michael Stewart!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 11:57:41 AM by JRand54 »

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2005, 12:16:18 PM »

DRMBARNUM - I watched DO KALIYAN yesterday.  For the uninitiated, this is the Bollywood version of THE PARENT TRAP.  I liked it, lots of nice scenery and the songs were good.  Om Prakash is always funny, the leading man wasn't so good looking, but his acting was okay.  Wonder Baby Sonia in the dual roles of the twins wasn't very IRRITATING and kinda homely - but after all - who could really be better than Hayley??

I am glad that you survived it! LOL! Baby Sonia sort of scared me with all of that lipstick..no child should were that much lipstick...or any lipstick, for that matter!

Ya, that leadsing man, BISWAJEET,  had seen better days...he looked much better when he was in BEES SAAL BAAD...but as the 60s wore on his waistline increase...but in the late 50s early 60s he was pretty nice to look at! And you don't even want to see him now!

Yes, Om Prakesh is a fine character actor!

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »

For those who watch LOST, when is the summary episode they've been advertising?

Also, I believe this week is the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES summary episode.

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2005, 12:25:05 PM »

What work of non-fiction do you think best covered a real crime in the truest detail?

My recent favorite in this category is Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City, "a compelling historical narrative about the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and the two men who shaped its place in history--an architect of almost magical ability and a prolific serial killer known as the Devil."  Just don't read the description of the killer's methods while eating your lunch, as I did (quite by accident  :P)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

A Pajama Game Ask BK/DR question:  I may be misremembering this, but wasn't Hernando's Hideaway ghosted by someone other than Adler/Ross and interpolated into the show on the road?  For some reason this is ringing a bell with me, and all the scores have completely different manuscript for this number, which is what got me to (mis)remembering in the first place.....

DRJMK, I've never heard a reference to its being by another writer either.  If it were, my guess would be their publisher Frank Loesser, who supposedly either bullied his client Meredith Willson into reshaping "My White Knight" or reshaped it himself.  I would guess from your comment about the manuscript's being different, that the song was written late, possibly out of town, and another copyist working for Mathilda Pincus did the copying of it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2005, 12:30:42 PM »

A second question, more for the DRs than for BK:

How many times a week do you eat out?

DR SWW - Not nearly enough!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2005, 12:31:23 PM »

Harumph!  In my day, we never needed any of those new fangled summary episode thingies to watch Dynasty or Falcon Crest!  We just watched it, and if you missed anything, tough noogies!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 12:32:50 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2005, 12:31:58 PM »

Last night:

Re:NEED TO BE KNEADED - NEW
« Reply #185 on: Yesterday at 07:15:49pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

td wrote:
I was reading a book the other day. . .

(double take) Say what?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 12:32:53 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2005, 12:40:32 PM »

DRs GINNY and CP have brought a couple of very interesting books to my attention.  Hmmmmmm.....sounds like I may have to make a trip to the library.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2005, 12:46:38 PM »

Just reading the reviews of THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY makes me shiver!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2005, 12:47:21 PM »

True crime!  James Kirkwood's AMERICAN GROTESQUE about homophobe pig Jim Garrison, portrayed as a hero in Oliver Stone's JFK, and his ridiculous attempt to destroy gay Clay Shaw by persecuting him as part of the Kennedy assassination plot.  What's even sadder is that Oliver Stone continued this lie.

IN COLD BLOOD, a great book which may be a bit colored by Capote's crush on one of the killers.

HELTER SKELTER scared the crap out of me when I first read it.

JACK THE RIPPER: THE FINAL SOLUTION, which Patricia Cornwell "ignored" in her Ripper book, even though she came to the same solution as to the Ripper's identity, has proven to be one more theory only, but it was the first to my knowledge to promote the royal conspiracy theory.

LIZZIE BORDEN: THE UNTOLD STORY is a fascinating book from the mid-1950's pushing the theory that Lizzie was innocent and Bridget the maid was the killer; the author uses the example of France's Pepin Sisters as maids who went mad and killed their employers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2005, 12:59:10 PM »

This place certainly reeks of hospitality and good cheer, or maybe it's this cheese.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »

Finished my second short story, which I'll now go through and add stuff to.

Miss Juliana A. Hansen will be here shortly to pick up a rehearsal tape for her duet with Mr. Guy Haines, and perhaps, if she's in the mood, we'll have a spot of lunch.

I got two packages from amazon and one from my DVD Academy.  The latter included copies of The Notebook and After the Sunset.  Are either worth watching?

And why is it that every description on the back of the DVD MUST say "with mile-a-minute twists" about every fershluganah movie.  Enough already.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2005, 01:03:20 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Ah, the joys of Photoshop Elements!  One could get "addicted" to it!  -And I haven't even tried some of the other basic features yet.

After some trial and error, here are some of my results...

Oh, and I changed my avatar again, as well as uploaded some other options.  Always keep 'em guessing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2005, 01:11:35 PM »

DR Rodzinksi - Sorry for the delay in posting these, but it took me a few tries to get these formatted properly.  I do wish the flash was a bit brighter, and the pics not so grainy, but what can you expect from a B&W disposable that had first started "snapping" at least a year ago if not more.  -Not to mention the countless number of airport x-ray machines it's gone through.  -But they keep telling me as long as it's 800 and below...  In any case...  I guess you could call these "gritty and artistic".

Jose in Black & White, Series I[/i]

-Well, let's try it this way...

Or better yet, this way....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:44:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2005, 01:14:26 PM »

Hmmm.... Sometimes they're there, and sometimes they're not...

Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2005, 01:15:44 PM »

JOSESPIANO = The Dianne Arbus of HHW  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:16:13 PM by JRand54 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2005, 01:16:09 PM »

Here is my favorite random B&W shot from my recent stint in NYC.  It was taken down in the East Village at Sara Delano Roosevelt Park right on the edge of Chinatown.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2005, 01:20:21 PM »

BK, I have heard very good things about THE NOTEBOOK.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2005, 01:24:54 PM »

THE NOTEBOOK I have read some good things about as well...After the Sunset I have no clue!

James Garner and Gena Rowlands play the older couple, and some TV no Names play the same people when they were younger.  It's one of those things based on a "best selling" novel that I never heard of.

Sounds like LIFETIME tv, but was directed by Nick Cassavetes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2005, 01:25:26 PM »

DR RLP what was for lunch today?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2005, 01:26:48 PM »

Most weeks, I eat out three times. I have lunch with friends twice a week, usually Monday and then either Wednesday or Thursday. I often get together with a couple I like very much on Friday night for dinner. On the weeks that we don't do that, then I go out by myself on Saturday for lunch at a buffet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2005, 01:26:58 PM »

DR CP - London The Wicked City sounds like a fascinating tome - but there is NO information at all about it other than the title on Amazon.com - and I know how you feel about the "reviews" there and their "writers", but if you enjoy the book, you might think about putting a couple of lines there to encourage others to pick it up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up