Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: REDDY, SET, GO  (Read 3281 times)

ChasSmith

Re: REDDY, SET, GO
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:18 AM »

Congratulations, DR Elmore!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 07:56:27 AM »

My Zoom meeting went very well.  I have a piece to orchestrate

I am thrilled for you!  Congratulations.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 07:57:15 AM »

Last night I watched “The Booksellers”.

What BK said about it being so obviously NYC-centric...

I think that that “something”-centric quality is characteristic of many such documentaries, no matter what the subject is. And I do tend to get a little restless during the latter segments when things turns more...philosophical, if you will. I’m drawn to these things for the nuts and bolts of the subject, and I invariably find that aspect eventually becoming watered down.

Given the inherent limitations of any such venture, wouldn’t it be great to see a similar documentary centered around Los Angeles area booksellers?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »

I can't help hearing Carol Burnett in my ear:  "I've. Got Me. A dress. To make."          ;D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »

I agree with you, DR ChasSmith. Wished they had gone into much greater depth about the subject at hand, and left all the rest out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »

Congratulations, DR Elmore!

Thank you, DRs ChasSmith and singdaw.  It was nice as well to catch up with my friend David.  He's a good conductor and a very nice gentleman.  He and his partner Seann have been quarantined in Provincetown since March.  I wish I had been quarantined somewhere on the coast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »

I've paid my four bills, and I have two hours to get to the corner post box.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »

DR ChasSmith, did you see this article?

https://www.nhregister.com/arts-leisure/article/Curtain-Call-Composer-Stephen-Sondheim-attends-15605743.php?src=nhrhpcp&fbclid=IwAR1zgURupOc5Nrq-A_iWIO6Me5PBghGzl_MCPX61uMtkKBfOfAk9Ft0gCxs

No, I hadn’t yet, so thank you. I’m glad she liked it, in addition to just being impressed with the surprise guest. She’s the CT theater critic you always hope for a kind word from.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:53:53 AM by ChasSmith »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »

Good news from Elmore!

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »

I hear Mac Davis has passed as well

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »

Nice notes today BK

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

My British conductor friend Martin Yates posted this yesterday on Facebook:
I don’t know if the public really understands how dire the situation is for millions of hard-working arts professionals.
Broadway is closed until 2021, 6 West End venues THINK they can open at the moment. Cirque du Soleil is filing for bankruptcy and cut 3500+ jobs. Feld Entertainment laid off 90% of its workforce permanently. Live Nation had to lay off a significant amount of employees. Cruise ship entertainers are out of work.
Theme park productions have no idea when they will be recalled. There are no concerts, festivals or touring productions scheduled until 2021 and if they don’t happen next year, they may never happen again. No Jazz Fest, no Coachella, no Bonnaroo, no EDC, no Glastonbury, no Download, no ROLLING STONES FINAL TOUR(S), no ballet, no opera....all gone.
It’s being predicted that 90% of independent music venues may close, the longer this continues. No more 1st Ave, Whiskey-a-GoGo, no more Tipitina’s, no more Red Rocks, no more CroBar, all gone. Entertainment Management, Publicity, Live events coordinator, Performing arts organizations of all kinds- choirs, theatres, orchestras, dance companies- all are trying to figure out on a daily basis how to keep going and employ anyone they can in the field.
More than 12,000,000 people work entertainment production, we are not insignificant and this industry cannot reopen until mass gatherings can happen again. This doesn’t include the additional layoff of venue management and bar staff, security and thousands of vendors. Also, we can’t forget about the hundreds of thousands of performers and entertainers that make  these careers possible, without them, there is no show.
So when you see your entertainment friends and or posts begging you to wear masks and stay home, understand that we are helplessly watching our industry crumble before our eyes because the country is doing so poorly at reducing the spread. This IS personal for us, our livelihood is dependent on social gathering and we will not accept being labeled “nonessential”.
Music and art are critical to a cheerful, balanced society.
Everyone’s career and the whole industry is indefinitely on hold.
PLEASE wear your mask (over your mouth AND your nose) and wash your hands.(this is not a Gov ploy to control you, the health experts have said it, LISTEN TO THEM)

This is so distressing

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »

Hello again!

Been listening to Helen Reddy this morning as I enter grades into the computer.  This pandemic has turned me into a real teacher.... I'm not sure how I feel about that LOL

Those that follow me on Facebook - there may be a Facebook Live thing this evening featuring the music of Helen Reddy.  I'm putting together music at the moment.  Only the "hits" are available on the usual sources, others I'll just deal with chords.  Looking forward to belting these tunes out for sure. 

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »

For Ask BK day -

I know there was talk about a BK songbook at some point.  Did anything ever happen with that?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2020, 12:23:46 PM »

I did not get to the corner mailbox.  I'll go tomorrow morning before the 11:00 pickup.  I wish to hell my absentee ballot would arrive.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »

I had an interesting phone conversation about getting a young volunteer to come in and help me with a SAGE co-ordinator, but God knows when that will be. Then I lay dowbn for an hour with Stella.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »

She has this habit of lying down for me to pet her and scratch her ears, then she stands up, walks to my side, bows, and then reaches out a paw and tenderly touches the side of chest before she lies down again.  She may do one or two times whenever she lies down with me.  Neither Thatch or Annabelle does this, and I cannot find in my google searches if cat behaviorists have any thoughts on this behavior. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »

She has this habit of lying down for me to pet her and scratch her ears, then she stands up, walks to my side, bows, and then reaches out a paw and tenderly touches the side of chest before she lies down again.  She may do one or two times whenever she lies down with me.  Neither Thatch or Annabelle does this, and I cannot find in my google searches if cat behaviorists have any thoughts on this behavior.

The "soft paw" tap is one of the highest compliments you can get from a cat.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »

The "soft paw" tap is one of the highest compliments you can get from a cat.

Well, that's nice to know.  I've never come across it before, and I figured it was a token of affection.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »

Annabelle shows her affection by head butting, rolling onto her back, and kneading my tummy.  She loves to lie on me when I'm lying on my back, and Thatch shows it by rolling over for me to rub his belly whenever I approach him or giving me little kisses.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »

My British conductor friend Martin Yates posted this yesterday on Facebook:
I don’t know if the public really understands how dire the situation is for millions of hard-working arts professionals.
Broadway is closed until 2021, 6 West End venues THINK they can open at the moment. Cirque du Soleil is filing for bankruptcy and cut 3500+ jobs. Feld Entertainment laid off 90% of its workforce permanently. Live Nation had to lay off a significant amount of employees. Cruise ship entertainers are out of work.
Theme park productions have no idea when they will be recalled. There are no concerts, festivals or touring productions scheduled until 2021 and if they don’t happen next year, they may never happen again. No Jazz Fest, no Coachella, no Bonnaroo, no EDC, no Glastonbury, no Download, no ROLLING STONES FINAL TOUR(S), no ballet, no opera....all gone.
It’s being predicted that 90% of independent music venues may close, the longer this continues. No more 1st Ave, Whiskey-a-GoGo, no more Tipitina’s, no more Red Rocks, no more CroBar, all gone. Entertainment Management, Publicity, Live events coordinator, Performing arts organizations of all kinds- choirs, theatres, orchestras, dance companies- all are trying to figure out on a daily basis how to keep going and employ anyone they can in the field.
More than 12,000,000 people work entertainment production, we are not insignificant and this industry cannot reopen until mass gatherings can happen again. This doesn’t include the additional layoff of venue management and bar staff, security and thousands of vendors. Also, we can’t forget about the hundreds of thousands of performers and entertainers that make  these careers possible, without them, there is no show.
So when you see your entertainment friends and or posts begging you to wear masks and stay home, understand that we are helplessly watching our industry crumble before our eyes because the country is doing so poorly at reducing the spread. This IS personal for us, our livelihood is dependent on social gathering and we will not accept being labeled “nonessential”.
Music and art are critical to a cheerful, balanced society.
Everyone’s career and the whole industry is indefinitely on hold.
PLEASE wear your mask (over your mouth AND your nose) and wash your hands.(this is not a Gov ploy to control you, the health experts have said it, LISTEN TO THEM)

:'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Safe Travel; Vibes for DR JohnG  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~SUPER DITTO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »

My Zoom meeting went very well.  I have a piece to orchestrate as soon as the Philly Pops gets back to me about payment, etc.

That's great, Larry!  Congrats!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2020, 02:07:58 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - ten hours of glorious sleep and boy are my arms tired.  I really needed that.  I awoke after eight but stayed in bed and slept another two. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »

We started on the songbook way back when Sandy's album came out, but as these things go, it just got pushed aside. 

George

George

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »

We started on the songbook way back when Sandy's album came out, but as these things go, it just got pushed aside. 

Hopefully, it can be picked up again. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up