Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TENTH MONTH, NAMELY OCTOBER  (Read 3278 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE TENTH MONTH, NAMELY OCTOBER
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2020, 07:36:40 AM »

Good morning!

John G.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »

I'm still operating in a different time zone. But I don't think it's either Eastern or Central.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »

I like it when ALCHEMY is the sports announcer.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »

I have signed up to usher tomorrow night. It feels rather strange. It's a socially distanced screening of Chicago, the movie.
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 08:05:10 AM »

Good Morning.   While still in Distance Learning, we are preparing for a slow roll-out of kids coming back to school starting Tuesday.  We are ready and have taken all the precautions.  Our COVID addendum to our school handbook is a mere 120 pages.  Certainly will be a challenging yet exciting week.  I believe Kindergarten is coming in first.  They will have their class in the gym.  Others (1-8) will be split up into different classrooms (1-4 in the morning and 5-8 in the afternoon with cleaning in between) some students will still be learning from home, it was the parents choice whether or not they want their student back on campus.  All students are on a hybrid program, meaning they will continue to do some subjects (<sigh> like mine) online and be in person for core subjects.

And these are the days of our lives.

John G.

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »

Best of luck, Matthew.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2020, 08:11:02 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »

Terrible night of sleep last night. Well, it was fine till I woke at 3:48 a.m. to go to the bathroom and turn the heat down a little. (We'd aired the house out yesterday with strong chilly autumn breezes, and had to turn it on yesterday evening.) Plopped back into bed, and I simply couldn't have been more wide awake. I hit the clock radio timer and listened to a classical music piece that turned out to be Tchaikovsky's Orchestral Suite No. 3, and I honestly don't believe I'd ever heard any of those. Still awake, though, so I kept re-hitting the timer every 60 minutes and laid awake till at least 6:15. My brain was doing the proverbial hundred miles an hour thing. I literally couldn't stop thinking about anything and everything.

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »

Finally, as usually happens after a few hours of this, I did fall asleep for about an hour and a half, getting up at 8:30 which is late for me. And as also often happens in a late sleep like that, I had yet another of my epic dreams touching on several very familiar themes:

It's time to leave the office but my keys and wallet are nowhere to be found. In backtracking to find them, I hear the voice of my boss from 1988-1990, but decide I don't want to bother reconnecting with him at this time. Now the building is a familiar hodgepodge of the Cleveland Institute of Music (I have dreamed several times about this one particular corridor) and some old church or concert hall (that I know I've also dreamed before), a lobby with fancy arches around the 4 or 5 elevator doors, and then the Clorox headquarters building in Oakland CA that I visited in 1999 when they'd acquired our company.

I decide to take the elevator back up to the 4th or 5th floor, and realize I'm in underwear and a t-shirt. A couple of times I see piles of silver change (mostly quarters) on the floor but don't quite get to the point at which I start picking them up, Then I'm carrying some piece of aluminum foil or cellophane trash I did pick up, and I want to get rid of it but there's no wastebasket to be found, even when I go up to another floor which is teeming with people I never see in the daytime. I wonder if this is because of Covid, and I finally decide to be rude and drop it in the middle of this long staircase. Downstairs, I head outside where I have to walk, or preferably run, down this street and turn left and up a long block which runs uphill, and the place is covered with snow and it becomes one of those dreams in which you try to run and can't get moving.

Whew. I probably left out a couple of things, but that gives you the gist.  :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »

I vaguely remember watching TALK RADIO on cable many years ago, and not finding it very interesting. Years after that, I saw the original play at one of the local theaters, and I was entertained okay but still didn't find it very interesting.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »

Good morning, all.

Hello, DR JohnG!  I am happy you are safely home.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »

Good Morning.   While still in Distance Learning, we are preparing for a slow roll-out of kids coming back to school starting Tuesday.  We are ready and have taken all the precautions.  Our COVID addendum to our school handbook is a mere 120 pages.  Certainly will be a challenging yet exciting week.  I believe Kindergarten is coming in first.  They will have their class in the gym.  Others (1-8) will be split up into different classrooms (1-4 in the morning and 5-8 in the afternoon with cleaning in between) some students will still be learning from home, it was the parents choice whether or not they want their student back on campus.  All students are on a hybrid program, meaning they will continue to do some subjects (<sigh> like mine) online and be in person for core subjects.

And these are the days of our lives.

Good luck!  I'm happy your Covid test went well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2020, 08:41:40 AM »

I decided to make my trip to the mailbox a trip to my pharmacy.  I had two wonderful taxi drivers and I am very happy to be home.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »

BK had tuna. I was talking about my tuna salad the other day, and btw I very much appreciate the suggestions people offered.

Often, I'll eat it with a fork right out of the small mixing bowl I use. BK didn't like his on the hamburger buns, and I'm trying to think what I like it on when I make it as a sandwich. I think I do like the buns, but mainly if they're Martin's Potato Rolls which are a favorite indulgence for hamburgers and certain other things. A regular old bun, probably not. Anyway, that's if I don't have bread in the house. I mainly like it on a good multi-grain bread or even on some good old-fashioned squishy white bread.

Laura

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 09:04:45 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2020, 09:06:32 AM »

TOD: I can't answer this question. I lived with such picky eaters who complained about most anything I cooked. I thought I was a bad cook until I started serving things at the church groups' meetings that I host. I got lots of compliments, which confused me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:14:35 AM by Laura »

Laura

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »

Right now I guess I'd have to say sugar cookies. But I only attempt easy patterns. And they are usually served  in fairly bad light, which helps.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:14:53 AM by Laura »

Laura

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »

I removed about ten more shrubs at the church this morning. Sooo many more to go.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »

Finally, as usually happens after a few hours of this, I did fall asleep for about an hour and a half, getting up at 8:30 which is late for me. And as also often happens in a late sleep like that, I had yet another of my epic dreams touching on several very familiar themes:

It's time to leave the office but my keys and wallet are nowhere to be found. In backtracking to find them, I hear the voice of my boss from 1988-1990, but decide I don't want to bother reconnecting with him at this time. Now the building is a familiar hodgepodge of the Cleveland Institute of Music (I have dreamed several times about this one particular corridor) and some old church or concert hall (that I know I've also dreamed before), a lobby with fancy arches around the 4 or 5 elevator doors, and then the Clorox headquarters building in Oakland CA that I visited in 1999 when they'd acquired our company.

I decide to take the elevator back up to the 4th or 5th floor, and realize I'm in underwear and a t-shirt. A couple of times I see piles of silver change (mostly quarters) on the floor but don't quite get to the point at which I start picking them up, Then I'm carrying some piece of aluminum foil or cellophane trash I did pick up, and I want to get rid of it but there's no wastebasket to be found, even when I go up to another floor which is teeming with people I never see in the daytime. I wonder if this is because of Covid, and I finally decide to be rude and drop it in the middle of this long staircase. Downstairs, I head outside where I have to walk, or preferably run, down this street and turn left and up a long block which runs uphill, and the place is covered with snow and it becomes one of those dreams in which you try to run and can't get moving.

Whew. I probably left out a couple of things, but that gives you the gist.  :)

Weird dreams in times of COVID are definitely a thing.  Mine center around murders and hiding the bodies... yeah, I don't know.... 

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »

I've had my share of murder (usually it's accidental but I still want to cover it up) and hiding the body dreams, but it's been quite a few years, I think, since one of those.

John G.

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2020, 09:32:28 AM »

TOD:

I make this tart with plenty of butter and sugar topped with jam and almond slivers. People love them, ask for them and have come to expect them for birthdays and holidays. They’re better with homemade jam.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »

I also do a dense flourless chocolate cake. And my whiskey nut cake is a real holiday treat for anyone lucky enough to get a slice. I need to make that this week, so it can soak in whiskey for three months.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »

Thursday afternoon greetings!  I've been online this morning with my sister (in Michigan) and niece (in Illinois) to watch a preview (from Iowa) on Facebook Live for the 2-day crafty event we're attending next weekend.  All our tech worked as we'd hoped, so we're good to go - and it was fun!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2020, 10:16:05 AM »

glad to hear that DR JOHN G & JB are home.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »

DR CHAS SMITH the Dream-O-Matic 6000 has pointed out a few indicators in your dream.....

The presence of yourself at a former place of employment and seeing coins could mean that you should check to make sure that there is nothing at an old job that is still due to you....a website search or checking of documents concerning your separation from employment could prove profitable.

Of course silver coins and the fact that you did NOT pick them up, could also mean some difficult family situation will be brought up or that something you have refused to get involved in - refusing to take sides - will once again come to the fore.  Again there is no need to reverse your set course.

Other things tell us that at times the current times and restrictions make you feel as if you are standing still and making no progress toward your well set goals.  You do not have to move toward them....they will come to you.....beginning particularly in November new opportunities will come your way and if fact become so plentiful you will wonder where you'll find the time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »

Please deposit $35 in my PayPal account.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - was up at seven-thirty after four hours of not enough sleep.  I cannot turn on the air today, it's just going to give me a cold, which I feel I'm on the verge of getting thanks to having to have it on so much due to this wacko weather.  So, I stayed up and went to the bank at ten to get that out of the way.  Thankfully, there was no outdoor line at all and only three people in line indoors.  I got to a teller in five minutes and everything went smoothly and I was out of there three minutes later.  Their hours for months have been ten to four, but apparently yesterday they went back to their normal hours of nine to six and open again on Saturday - that's probably why there was no line today.  So, that's a good thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

I think I'll get back in bed and see if I can get another couple of hours.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2020, 10:58:25 AM »

So, one of the laserdiscs that I recently bought on eBay was Harry Connick Jr.'s The New York Big Band Concert, but what I received was Harry Connick Jr.'s Swinging Out Live.  If I hadn't already purchased that from another eBay seller, I'd just keep it and call it good...especially since this incorrect item is new and sealed!  But, I figure that I should at least let the seller know and see what options they'll give me, if any.  If they just let me keep it, I'll keep it.  If they want it back, they'll have to pay for shipping.

Well, that was quick.  They seller said that they will refund my money and didn't say that I need to return it, so I have an extra copy. :) Now, I need to reorder the original title that I wanted.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up