Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WRONG AMADEUS  (Read 3583 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE WRONG AMADEUS
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2020, 06:41:23 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2020, 06:41:38 AM »

I need to get up.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2020, 06:53:45 AM »

I would like Hitchcock movies and a big bowl of homemade pistachio pudding.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 06:53:55 AM »

But that's just me.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 06:54:14 AM »

Thanks for linking the recipe, DR John G.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 07:24:15 AM »

Good morning, all.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »

Happy 128th birthday to composer Herbert Howells!

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 07:36:08 AM »

BK, were you at the premiere of FAMILY PLOT in Century City?

I was a bit disappointed in it, too, back then, even though I returned to see it a few times. "Lightweight" was certainly the word for it, right from the get go. But like DR John G. posted, the death of Barbara Harris renewed my interest in it, as I was totally charmed by the clips people were showing then. I'm more than ready to view the whole thing with fresh eyes, shortcomings and all. Agree about Karen Black in particular. She could be so perfect in some things, and just "wrong" in others.

If I'm remembering correctly from when the late Hitchcocks finally appeared on Blu-ray, this was considered one of the worst transfers. When I checked it out, I decided to hold onto the DVD from the "Masterpiece" set because it was easier to watch.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »

Here is Howells's Elegy for Viola, String Quartet, and String Orchestra. Quiet and contemplative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=2yZEkjrD5Qc

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »

So last night I did, indeed, watch the theatrical cut of TOPAZ. This was the laserdisc, which must be the identical release to that first VHS one in all its "full screen" glory. To all indications, it's at least open matte, but while I'm able to "zoom" that to approximate the 1.85 ratio (which worked fine), the loss in resolution is just too great to endure. It's amazing to think that laserdisc was the "HD" of its time, in comparison with the broadcast standard but especially compared with VHS. But my eyes adapted quickly enough, and I found myself liking the film more than ever.

BK is totally correct, of course, about the casting and the music. The score by Maurice Jarre has its French and Zhivago-ish charms at times, but ..... that's all you get. It doesn't lift the movie above a certain level. The very thought of what could have been, with a Herrmann score, is a tantalizing one for the ages. And those poor Devereauxs. They're like talking mannequins.

But the parts that are great, oh my god, the Harlem and the Cuban scenes are just brilliant. And the quick conclusion in the "American" ending. Just perfect. What in the HELL were they thinking with those alternate endings?

Anyway, I'm all rarin' to go to watch the Blu-ray now, to get the low-res image out of my mind and savor a "proper" video presentation, and to see what those extra 23 minutes are. I'm now wondering if I've even seen them. I'm pretty sure I watched the DVD at some point years ago, so I would have then, but at this point I don't remember anything that I didn't see last night.

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2020, 07:58:26 AM »

It's good to hear that both TCB and singdaw are managing to hold themselves together and not spill fingers and guts all over the place. 

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2020, 08:01:03 AM »

Amazing, isn't it?    :D     Thanks for the good wishes.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »

Speaking of original versions and wrong Amadeuses...

I believe we are also in desperate want of a good theatrical cut of AMADEUS. The only one on Blu-ray is an extended "director's cut", and the only theatrical version available is on a primitive old "flipper" DVD. I don't know that movie very well, but word has it that Mr. Forman's cut is quite the bloated affair.

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2020, 08:06:59 AM »

I just remembered that John Williams scored FAMILY PLOT, and that his score is appropriate and enjoyable.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »

TOD

Yes to interviews!

John G.

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2020, 08:18:44 AM »

It’s raining out there. Lightly, but consistently. So nice to see.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2020, 08:19:03 AM »

The plants are all perking up.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »

Elmore wins. I am going to look for a new contractor.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2020, 08:43:09 AM »

While waiting for Godot Construction this morning, I did manage to get kitchen two cabinets cleaned out and reorganized. It won't last for long, but I do have some handy, designated space for all my measuring cups, which somehow seem to get lost all too often.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »

I've gone back to Ritz and Escoffier, which is thoroughly delightful. But one sentence stopped me. In the late 19th century, the author says, talking about food at the dinner table was a no-no. I know from reading writers of the time that good cooks were few and far between, but since my friends and I talk about food all the time, I doubt I would have liked those endless dinner parties.
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »

Laura

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2020, 09:14:23 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »

The children from the house on the corner are roller skating up and down the sidewalk this morning.

I love the sound of children playing outside. It is finally cool enough to play outside in the morning. It's still around 100 F in the afternoon, though.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »

Good Morning!   Today, the organizing begins.  Not until I head to the Whole Foods to pick up some dairy-free ice cream to take to a friends house tonight. 

Yesterday, the boys got to go to the vet and get updated on their shots.  Leo got an examine as well and he passed with flying colors.  Tomorrow, they get groomed.  They are very fuzzy.  They don't shed so they have to be groomed a few times a year.  They are very cute when they return. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »

I finished all the book fixes while I listened to Danny Kaye sing songs from The Court Jester. Now I want to watch that again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »

I've avoided doing much else since I didn't want to be in the middle of something and have to put it aside when my neighbors showed up.  There's been no word from Ann and Jen, so I guess I will get to work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2020, 09:48:59 AM »

From DR TCB:
I went back to urgent care today.  Dr. Hottie was there, but was not assigned to my care.  Dr. Un-hottie was very nice.  He checked out my finger and decided that the sutures seemed to be holding very well, so he decided I didn’t need the metal splint or all the tons of gauze the nurse had used on Wednesday.  So, I am down to one large bandaid and it feels 1000% better.

No wonder it was difficult for you to clean and change.  Less pressure on those sensitive finger tip nerves must be more comortable.

CONTINUED HEALING VIBES!

Jane

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »

From DR George:

I think we will deliver it tomorrow or Monday.  We don't have any plans to use our car today.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »

From Bruce:
I love pistachios - Peyton Kirkner's mom's family makes them up north so I get bags for free.  Hazelnuts, on the other hand, make me want to vomit on the ground.

Makes pistachio nut?

I have had to pass on many delicious chocolate desserts since adding hazelnuts is very popular.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »

The children from the house on the corner are roller skating up and down the sidewalk this morning.

I love the sound of children playing outside. It is finally cool enough to play outside in the morning. It's still around 100 F in the afternoon, though.

Lovely. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up