Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BASED ON CHARACTERS CREATED BY STIEG LARSSON  (Read 4625 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: BASED ON CHARACTERS CREATED BY STIEG LARSSON
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2020, 10:01:49 AM »

Just broke my favorite coffee mug, burned my foot with the hot coffee that was in it and made a mess everywhere. Welcome to Monday.

Well, that's one helluva way to start the week! I've had years like that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:10:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »

Whoa. That's a great list, DR Elmore.

Did you see the HBO adaptation of Mildred Pierce several years ago? They followed the book and I remember really liking it. I need to see it again.

I loved the Mildred Pierce miniseries!  I remember watching it and thinking how did they take this and make such a wonderful movie so far from its source.  I also think the Lana Turner The Postman Always Rings Twice is a wonderful adaptation.  The Nicholson remake removes the irony of the novel's title.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »

Browsing this week's Met Opera freebies, I find this is "Politics in Opera" week.

In the contemporary music department, we have John Adams's Nixon in China on Thursday, John Corigliano's The Ghosts of Versailles on Saturday, and Philip Glass's Satyagraha on Sunday. I'm a little 'eh' on the Adams and Glass, but I have to say that those delightful Ghosts are not to be missed.

I love Nixon in China. But Ghosts is better.

I'd probably like it if I ever sat down and really watched it. I'm afraid I've only seen little segments of it, which isn't giving it (or me) a chance at all.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »

DR Vixmom's moving story of voting with her mother inspired me to share this story of a 104 year old woman voting.
https://www.newsweek.com/video-104-year-old-ruth-woman-voting-against-trump-1542074?fbclid=IwAR2hXlq9QodvzxF9TXyIo3P__Q5_r_qw-y20Z3xoP3dly_bb7P-8rhbyzcM

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »

Browsing this week's Met Opera freebies, I find this is "Politics in Opera" week.

In the contemporary music department, we have John Adams's Nixon in China on Thursday, John Corigliano's The Ghosts of Versailles on Saturday, and Philip Glass's Satyagraha on Sunday. I'm a little 'eh' on the Adams and Glass, but I have to say that those delightful Ghosts are not to be missed.

I'd probably like it if I ever sat down and really watched it. I'm afraid I've only seen little segments of it, which isn't giving it (or me) a chance at all.

I love The Ghosts of Versailles, and the Manhattan School of Music production several years ago was quite wonderful.  That first aria of Figaro's is really brilliant. I would love to have the DVD of the Met broadcast.  I had it on VHS.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »

To former DR Jed,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »

Jane, you said you didn’t much care for Beach Read. I’m an hour in and am rather irritated. I can easily move on to something else or listen to the last 90 minutes or so. Suggestions? Anyone else read it?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »

From DR George:
Nice!  I assume the door opens the correct way!  That could be a problem if it didn't!

So true.  That almost happened to us once but I caught the error in time, same thing with a clothes dryer side opening door.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion DR George, however, I will pass on the Sloppy Joe's. 

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:43 AM »

DR Matthew, I hope Ben's eye problem will prove to be nothing.

There doesn't seem to be anymore discharge around the eye as it remained open all day - and ALL NIGHT - that's another story.  I'll take him in tomorrow just to be sure.

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »

I love The Ghosts of Versailles, and the Manhattan School of Music production several years ago was quite wonderful.  That first aria of Figaro's is really brilliant. I would love to have the DVD of the Met broadcast.  I had it on VHS.

I haven't looked yet, so will just ask -- is the Manhattan production available?

The Met one is in the Levine set. If you don't have it, I'd be happy to burn you a copy.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2020, 10:24:20 AM »

I fell sleep very early so now I’m awake

Sorry.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »

Earring finding vibes for Janes

Thank you.  I think I need a miracle at this point.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:24 AM »

DR George, about the refrigerator door: on Wednesday, when the service man called Crane Cooling, I distinctly heard him tell the man on the other end that the door was hinged on the LEFT.  When it arrived on Saturday, it was still packed and hinged on the RIGHT.  The installers, who were really quite wonderful, were not happy that they had to fetch their toolkits to redo the door.

When the clothes dryer was delivered in the wrong direction the one delivery guy said I needed to call for a service person to fix it.  The other delivery guy kindly said he was capable of changing the door and did so.  I was very grateful.

Laura

« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »

The cold front that moved in didn't bring the promised rain yesterday, but it is chilly outside today. It is heavenly!

Laura

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »

Yesterday I cooked soy curls and dumplings. It was pretty good. Sandra took the leftovers for her lunch at work today.

Laura

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »

I passed my dental exam today. The guy in the waiting room told me he was having FOUR teeth pulled today.  The sounds coming from the next room weren't pleasant.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »

DR George, about the refrigerator door: on Wednesday, when the service man called Crane Cooling, I distinctly heard him tell the man on the other end that the door was hinged on the LEFT.  When it arrived on Saturday, it was still packed and hinged on the RIGHT.  The installers, who were really quite wonderful, were not happy that they had to fetch their toolkits to redo the door.

I can imagine them being not happy.  I've had to switch my (or maybe it was my sister's) dryer door to open from the other side, but a dryer door is much smaller than a fridge door, and therefore a much simpler job to do, which I would never even try on my own.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:25:40 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2020, 10:36:19 AM »

I passed my dental exam today. The guy in the waiting room told me he was having FOUR teeth pulled today.  The sounds coming from the next room weren't pleasant.

Congrats on passing the exam, Laura!  Mine is tomorrow.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »

What??  Oy!!! 

OMG, I guess I've been lucky to have never heard *sounds* coming from a dental office. On the other hand, I've been fortunate in never having to *make any sounds of my own while there. OMG.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2020, 10:39:22 AM »

I find it sad that anti-trumpers felt the need to throw eggs and attacks the Jews for Trump people.  I am also not surprised they were the Orthodox Jews who do not want to take pandemic precautions.  It is the same with the ultra religious in Israel.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »

DR John I hope the burn on your foot is ok.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »

Jane, you said you didn’t much care for Beach Read. I’m an hour in and am rather irritated. I can easily move on to something else or listen to the last 90 minutes or so. Suggestions? Anyone else read it?

It seems you like it less than I did.  I suggest jumping to the end or simply moving on to something better.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »

DR Matthew, I hope Ben's eye problem will prove to be nothing.

There doesn't seem to be anymore discharge around the eye as it remained open all day - and ALL NIGHT - that's another story.  I'll take him in tomorrow just to be sure.

Good news.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:59 AM »

Just broke my favorite coffee mug, burned my foot with the hot coffee that was in it and made a mess everywhere. Welcome to Monday.

Augh! Hope the rest of the day (and week goes better)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Laura

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:15 AM »

I think it was getting the novacaine shots I was hearing. Honestly, this dentist has never hurt me, even during the shot. He's very good at it.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »

DR Vixmom your story made me teary-eyed!

Laura

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »

Probably his dental phobia, which led to the need to extract four teeth, made everything so much worse.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up