Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE DAY AND THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT  (Read 2871 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: THE MUSIC OF THE DAY AND THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »

G.O.D.  (Graffiti of the Day)

“For a good time, google CARTHAY MANHATTAN”  :)

I've actually had that Manhattan... very smooth, very good.  I may have had a few?

Matthew

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »

Page 3 Dance.... do the hustle....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »

DR Jane - for the manhattans I made the other night, I used Bullet Bourbon and dry vermouth, I know you are suppose to use sweet, but that's what I had on hand, bitters and cherries - from Trader Joes, they are great.   I have rye as well, but I chose Bullet for these. 

Thanks for the description.  I don't think I like a dry vermouth in anything.

Sweet Vermouth is now on my shopping list!

We usually ask for Bullet rye.  Antica is a good staple.  Do you have a preference? 

We have had especially delicious rye Manhattans made with Cocchi and Cinzano Rosso though we never experimented with them at home.

I prefer something smooth, like Bullet either bourbon or rye - Makers is good as well, but that's whisky.  Someone gave me a bottle of Knob Creek for Christmas -99 proof.  Last time I had Knob Creek it ended up in the sink, to oak-y for me.  I'm willing to give it another try, of course.  I actually have some Rosso vermouth, I'll have to try that next time.

I am also not a fan of oaky.  If you try the Rosso please let me know, not that we keep it at home anymore.  If you are a Northern Exposure fan, it was at the Brick that we had the delicious rye Manhattan's with the Rosso. 

Funny, I will order Bullet for my mixed drinks but prefer other brands when I drink Bourbon or Rye neat.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »

:) Almost always true.  Sherlock was the only dog that did not clean up crumbs. 

When Craig was 8 months old we stayed with Keith's parents.  To my horror I suddenly realized his mother kept cleaning the floor under the high chair.  Two kids and I had never had to do that unless it was a liquid spill. 

Jane

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »

I've actually had that Manhattan... very smooth, very good.  I may have had a few?

It looks delicious.  I am not sure about the ice in the drink as it appeared to already be melting.  Still, I thought the ice maker was cool, and perfect for an Old Fashioned :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2020, 01:37:25 PM »

I miss my kitchen Roomba.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »

Carthay (as in Circle Theatre) Manhattan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui5dXVSok4g

Matthew

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »

It looks delicious.  I am not sure about the ice in the drink as it appeared to already be melting.  Still, I thought the ice maker was cool, and perfect for an Old Fashioned :)

Yeah - no ice in a Manhattan!  But that ice reminds me of an ice cube mold of The Death Star which I just got for Christmas!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Laura

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2020, 02:27:00 PM »

One time when I had a dead battery, my local service chain had recently been sold to a national chain. The local owner hit "delete" on everyone's service history. All my records were gone. The new snippy receptionist declared I needed a receipt for the warranty. I waved down the frazzled manager, who said -- "Put in a new one for her; only charge for labor."

The snippy receptionist didn't last long. The manager is still there and is the guy I trust with my car.  We've been customers there since before we bought the '98 Toyota. He certainly didn't want to lose us.

Laura

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »

Jane, if I'm not mistaken, state health departments are able to make their priority lists. Maybe even county health departments.

Laura

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2020, 02:34:14 PM »

TOD: Food experiences during the pandemic? I think I have cooked everything except our anniversary dinner, which was takeout Chinese food. Oh, and a couple of visits to our favorite family-owned Mexican place.

Laura

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »

According to everything I've seen, I'll be getting my vaccination during the summer. Sigh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »

What a day so far. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »

Car started, so that was good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »

Picked up two packages and a screener called Nomadland, which sounds like something I would never want to see and so I won't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2020, 03:01:15 PM »

Went to Gelson's and got a chicken Caesar and some garlic bread for food, came home, was putting stuff away when the phone rang.  It was Vitello's saying my order was ready.  Yep, I had this HUGE piece of paper next to the computer saying PICK UP VITELLO'S AT TWO ON TUESDAY.  So, I put everything away quickly (thankfully the chicken Caesar is good until Thursday) and drove to Vitello's.  The cars on Moorpark were so ridiculously slow and you can't get around them until it finally splits into two lanes at Laure Canyon.  I got the food and drove right home with ever stupider cars in front of me, slowing down about a block before a signal just in case it was going to turn red - only it didn't turn but they were going so slow that as they FINALLY got to the signal it started to change and of course they stopped before the yellow had barely come on - four cars could have easily have gotten through.  Drivers in LA are morons.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »

Miraculously, despite all that, my spaghetti and meatballs were still very hot, so I ate that all up and I had a Caesar, too, which I'm eating now.  All very good.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »

Yeah - no ice in a Manhattan!  But that ice reminds me of an ice cube mold of The Death Star which I just got for Christmas!

That is super cool. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »

And I'm listening to the ENO/JAY recording of Street Scene, which is one of the most ineptly produced CDs I've ever heard and I've heard some doozies.  I think because they issued it in Dolby Surround for reasons too ignorant to even discuss (why would you want voices coming from BEHIND you for a stage show?  But they clearly didn't care about the regular CD listeners, so every time someone in the rear channel speaks it's like they're four blocks away and a mile to the west.  Inept.  The band on the vocal tracks can barely be heard - it's worse than Mauceri in that regard.  And the cast I've been watching in the ENO video on YouTube, which is terrific, is not on this recording at all and the people who've replaced them are not so good, with a couple of them verging on amateur, acting-wise.  And interestingly, the sound on the ENO broadcast,  which is probably from a VHS tape, is superior to this thing.  Glad to hear it, but wow.  The Mauceri is the one for a complete recording.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »

One time when I had a dead battery, my local service chain had recently been sold to a national chain. The local owner hit "delete" on everyone's service history. All my records were gone. The new snippy receptionist declared I needed a receipt for the warranty. I waved down the frazzled manager, who said -- "Put in a new one for her; only charge for labor."

The snippy receptionist didn't last long. The manager is still there and is the guy I trust with my car.  We've been customers there since before we bought the '98 Toyota. He certainly didn't want to lose us.

Smart manager.  That is shocking they deleted all the receipts.  In this day and age we expect our accounts to contain our service information.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »

Jane, if I'm not mistaken, state health departments are able to make their priority lists. Maybe even county health departments.

I believe all the states had to submit a "plan".  Washington submitted one, not that it says much.  From what I have seen most states are following the CDC recommendations.   I don't know which states might be leaving it up to the counties.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2020, 03:19:55 PM »

According to everything I've seen, I'll be getting my vaccination during the summer. Sigh.

Sounds about right :(

Jane

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »

Car started, so that was good.

It is always good when the car starts.  I have had a couple that were not reliable, a situation made more difficult by the fact the boys were young.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »

I miss my kitchen Roomba.

I know the feeling.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2020, 03:38:36 PM »

While walking on the beach this afternoon we realized the log in the water was actually a beaver.  We followed him for awhile and were rewarded with our first on-land beaver sighting.

Once again I cannot share it here.  I do have the photo on FB.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2020, 04:19:58 PM »

While walking on the beach this afternoon we realized the log in the water was actually a beaver.  We followed him for awhile and were rewarded with our first on-land beaver sighting.

Once again I cannot share it here.  I do have the photo on FB.

Here it is...substantially reduced, but uploadable!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »

That's a great picture, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »

Thanks George.  Keith's new phone takes fairly good photos.  Unfortunately we couldn't get closer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up