Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: STARTING THE NEW BOOK  (Read 2757 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: STARTING THE NEW BOOK
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 08:25:42 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 08:25:55 AM »

TWO!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »

Good Morning!  The ham is in the oven for the brunch today.  The rest of the items all have to be prepared at the same time.  Sort of like Thanksgiving and the turkey.  I am listening to Kodaly's Missa Brevis... I sang this once a long time ago.  It's odd.  It popped into my memory as BK kept mentioning Janáček, whom I thought composed the mass, but I was wrong.  I'm thankful it's short. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - maybe five hours of sleep.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »

I watched the FIVE HOUR version of the movie 1900 - I don't ever need to see it again.

Italian politics is not a very exciting subject for a movie.....although I liked some of the performances and Dominique Sanda was particularly good.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »

I watched the FIVE HOUR version of the movie 1900 - I don't ever need to see it again.

Italian politics is not a very exciting subject for a movie.....although I liked some of the performances and Dominique Sanda was particularly good.....

I liked it when I was a teenager. Lots and lots of sex and violence. I tried watching it a few years back and the bad dubbing drove me crazy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 09:47:53 AM »

Listening to John Mauceri's The Cradle Will Rock. The sound is deplorable. It's as if everyone, singers and orchestra both, were recorded through a tunnel. It's a live recording, I think, but that's no excuse.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »

But not even Mauceri can rob the piece of its power and playfulness.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  Well, one Ohio team won their bowl game yesterday and the other lost.  I wish the results had been reversed...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »

When I was in the hospital for the first kidney surgery, I was given chocolate pudding as a dessert. It may be the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. The nastiness lingered for days. When I got home, I made my own. It was actually worse.

;D  My mother used to make a good chocolate pudding.  I found Jello boxed vanilla & butterscotch were better from the box.  I haven't had pudding in so long I don't even know if I would still like it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:20:08 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 10:20:20 AM »

I hate tapioca.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »

I like tapioca as a pie thickener instead of corn starch.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 10:38:48 AM »

TOD - Apparently Richard's grandmother made rice pudding that he and his brothers all loved, but, of course, there was no written recipe.  I have tried in vain to replicate it and told my sister-in-law, before she married Richard's older brother, "Don't even try!" 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »

TOD - Apparently Richard's grandmother made rice pudding that he and his brothers all loved, but, of course, there was no written recipe.  I have tried in vain to replicate it and told my sister-in-law, before she married Richard's older brother, "Don't even try!" 

That's sad. And there are so many different styles of rice pudding.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 10:55:36 AM »

That's sad. And there are so many different styles of rice pudding.

Yes.  For now Richard seems satisfied with the individual serving cups from KozyShack - when we can get them from Kroger.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2021, 11:00:03 AM »

I like tapioca as a pie thickener instead of corn starch.

If only the pearls could be removed-lol.  It probably tastes fine as a thickener.

John G.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »

The best part of this The Cradle Will Rock is the appendix, a 13+-minute recording of Blitzstein telling his version of what happened on opening night. And you know what? The sound quality is much better than Mauceri's. Hardly a surprise, but still.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2021, 11:50:35 AM »

My bank, for whatever reason, puts no updates through to its website on weekends and holidays. That’s the norm with them and I’m used to it. This means that for all I know, that deposit has been sitting there since Thursday night or Friday morning but I won’t see it until sometime Monday. The almost universal reporting of this deposit by people everywhere shows up how unusual this bank’s practice is, and it pisseth me off. I’m going to call them on Monday to get their explanation.

I decided to post my question on their Facebook page, and got a reply:

Hello Charles,
We are aware other banks have posted pending stimulus payments as early as January 1st, Peoples United Bank will be following the ACH instructions received from the Fed to post transactions beginning the business day January 4th.

Which is all fine and good, I know the stimulus will show up. What they didn't address was my main query about their practice of not showing ANY weekend transactions till Monday, every week of the year. So I posted a followup, and we'll see what they say.

In the meantime, am I correct in thinking that other banks DO show new transaction over the weekend? Out of curiosity, whose banks do and don't update their websites over the weekend?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »

I once at a Lincoln Center Library bazaar mentioned to Betty Chapin, whose husband Schuyler was at one time the executive producer for Leonard Bernstein's Amberson Organization among many other positions he held during his lifetime, that I had just recorded Girl Crazy with John Mauceri. She gave me a look as though I had just told her she had lice and, after a moment, said in a chilly voice, "John Mauceri thinks he invented Leonard Bernstein."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »

Back from a nice over the hill drive and some research.  I didn't go to Hugo's for breakfast in the car - but I have some on its way to me now.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »

Brunch was a success.  I sent them home with leftovers, which was great. My brothers homemade Italian sausages (which he gave out as Christmas gifts) were fantastic.  Nice way to start the year.   Oh, and my recent COVID test was negative.  Living the life, I tell you!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »

Good news, DR Matthew.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »

We re-watched the 2017 Broadway production of Falsettos.  I'll admit to being a blubbering mess during most of Act Two.

ChasSmith

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »

It's time for:  Today's Opera Update.

Un Ballo tonight. Scotto and Pavarotti.

Battle tomorrow, in L'Elisir.

Next week's theme:  Epic Rivalries!!!

To be followed by Renée Fleming week, with her Rusalka streaming on Sunday the 17th.

This has been:  Today's Opera Update.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »

What they meant to say -

Dear Charles:
When you have your bank, you can do it that way.  This is my bank, and this is how it will be done.  Thank you.  THE Bank.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »

My bank definitely posts weekend activity.

DR ChasSmith, I still have a People's Bank account from my Connecticut days.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »

Brunch was a success.  I sent them home with leftovers, which was great. My brothers homemade Italian sausages (which he gave out as Christmas gifts) were fantastic.  Nice way to start the year.   Oh, and my recent COVID test was negative.  Living the life, I tell you!

Congrats on your test results and a successful brunch.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2021, 01:37:53 PM »

What they meant to say -

Dear Charles:
When you have your bank, you can do it that way.  This is my bank, and this is how it will be done.  Thank you.  THE Bank.

;D

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »

#truth

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:49:23 PM by singdaw »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2021, 03:19:17 PM »

What?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up