Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WONDERFUL WORLD  (Read 2610 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE WONDERFUL WORLD
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 07:10:32 AM »

I've known several Cinerama theaters, but I believe I've only ever seen a couple of the actual 3-strip films in them. Those would be the first couple of the travelogue features of the 1950s, when my grandmother would take my sister and me on a bus from Columbus to Cincinnati to see them in their roadshow engagements. Columbus had a few wonderful movie palaces but it didn't have a Cinerama theater. Cincinnati would have been the closest city with one.

We didn't see "How the West Was Won" till it went into general release on flat screens, but I well remember how it looked with the visible lines between the three panels.

The only other "Cinerama" films I saw in their original theaters were those projected from 70mm, even though they used the Cinerama name:  "2001", "Mad World", and the like. Even the fabled rereleases of "This is Cinerama", such as at the Dome in the 1970s, were 70mm, not 3-strip. But I have a real fondness for all of those movies, even the kitchiest of them, and I have all of the Smilebox releases. Looking forward to "Brothers Grimm".

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 07:15:46 AM »

Project Six?  Did I miss Projects 3, 4, & 5?      ;)

This was bound to happen sooner or later. An innocent but Freudian slip of the fingers, and yet another DEEP STATE CONSPIRACY is revealed. I KNEW THEY WERE COVERING UP ALL OF THESE, AND MORE.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 07:26:29 AM »

I love the Smilebox format. I guess I first knew of it with the Blu-ray release of HOW THE WEST WAS WON. For me, it's a simple but genius re-creation of what it felt like and looked like to experience a large format film on a curved screen in a great theater.

I do wonder if you "had to be there" to appreciate what it's doing, or are people who never saw that kind of movie in that kind of theater able to "get it" as well? That's not to be condescending, by any means. I just wonder that.

I liked that aspect of West, too. It must have been something to behold on a supersize screen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 07:31:03 AM »

I have been listening to the CPAC Anthem with different accompaniments......Birdy Barnum is not amused.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 07:31:53 AM »

I don't think the Cinerama process can be recreated OUTSIDE of the B I G curved screen experience......although it can be approximated.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »

I don't think the Cinerama process can be recreated OUTSIDE of the B I G curved screen experience......although it can be approximated.

I would go so far as to say it can only be suggested. Watching a Smilebox movie requires a certain mental participation on the part of the viewer, some combination of actual memory and a little imagination. That’s not a criticism. I love it.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »

Good Morning - just another ordinary day. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 08:10:50 AM »

Temps in the 40's here today.

John G.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »

Should get up to 72 today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »

DR George - I am not giving medical advice.
But what my doctor told me was, real lemons. Not the kind that comes in the plastic lemon bottle. And, of course, no sugar added.

DR Jane, I am drinking the juice of 2 to 3 regular-sized lemons per day. 4 ounces of juice, diluted into water throughout the day.

I hope it works and you enjoy the taste.  I do like fresh lemons in water, but not all day.

Jane

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 10:23:35 AM »

Today is my dentist appointment .... 3 p.m. wherein it is alleged that I will get my bottom choppers.....since it's been since December 21, I look forward to having them.

Good vibes you are very pleased with the results.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »

I have been listening to the CPAC Anthem with different accompaniments......Birdy Barnum is not amused.

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »

Thank you DR JANE.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:51 AM »

Arounds 9:30 I decided to go ahead with the laundry, which is waiting to be put away.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »

Sometimes when I am looking at things on Newspapers.com, I look at different pages to see what is what.

Yesterday there was a small story in the 1948 Chico newspaper.  A young man about 25 years of age hired a pilot to take him up in a small plane.  When they were in the air, the young man took off his seat belt and tried to open the door of the airplane.

The pilot struggled with him and turned the plane back toward the airport - the young man succeeded in opening the door and jumping out of the plane.

They found his body in a field.  No identification was found on him and all of the labels were removed from his clothing.....

As far as I know, he was never identified.....

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »

~~~CHOPPER VIBES~~~ for DR Jand70 This afternoon!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2021, 10:58:10 AM »

Veggiemals!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:10 AM »

DR Jrand70, this is the jacket I bought yesterday.  It should arrive in another week or so.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2021, 12:01:42 PM »

I finally put all of the laundry away. Now it's time for the cats' dinner.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2021, 12:25:44 PM »

DR Jrand70, this is the jacket I bought yesterday.  It should arrive in another week or so.

Very nice, Larry.  We'll expect a pic of you wearing it!

John G.

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »

Veggiemals!

Made without Vegemite.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2021, 12:57:23 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - nine hours of sleep but not straight through - was up again at four-fifteen for an hour. But I needed the sleep so nine hours is good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »

The delivery has been made - friend Sandy Bainum sent me a big box from Jack Stack Barbecue in Kansas City.  Included is chopped barbecue beef, burnt ends, beans, carrot cake, and a bottle of sauce. All flash frozen and all currently in the freezer. Defrosting instructions are forty-eight to seventy-two hours in the refrigerator so if I put it all in there now I can eat this stuff on Saturday or Sunday. We shall see about that. It all looks very good. The bottle of sauce has no instructions other than refrigerate after opening - but it's frozen so? I put it in the fridge to defrost - or should I leave it out?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »

Seeing Cinerama in  real Cinerama theater was like nothing else you've ever seen. It really was an event and special. Smilebox allows the image to "look" like it did but it's just that. You cannot imagine the visceral thrill of the size of Cinerama and how it was to watch it. My first was the 1960 reissue of Seven Wonders of the World and it was incredible. I wish I'd seen the other travelogues there but didn't, there being the Warner Cinerama. I didn't really start my regular Hollywood sojourns until 1961. Then it was Brothers Grimm and How the West Was Won, and that was it. The Dome never showed real three-panel Cinerama until the late 1990s and their screen was not as wide nor as tall as the Warner Cinerama, so for me, seeing three-panel there isn't quite the same experience.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »

I'd been typing six for the start time for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday that I just typed it for the project, too. I put the fix on six in.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:59 PM »

Sometimes when I am looking at things on Newspapers.com, I look at different pages to see what is what.

Yesterday there was a small story in the 1948 Chico newspaper.  A young man about 25 years of age hired a pilot to take him up in a small plane.  When they were in the air, the young man took off his seat belt and tried to open the door of the airplane.

The pilot struggled with him and turned the plane back toward the airport - the young man succeeded in opening the door and jumping out of the plane.

They found his body in a field.  No identification was found on him and all of the labels were removed from his clothing.....

As far as I know, he was never identified.....

The poor pilot.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 01:28:04 PM »

Facebook has an new thing called People You May Know and because of it, I've gotten about forty friend requests in two days.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2021, 01:29:26 PM »

We now have a Shake shack in my neighborhood, and they have the best burgers. So, I had a Shackburger, fries, and a strawberry shake for tonight's dinner.  As Thatch would say, It's yummy!
https://www.shakeshack.com/food-and-drink/

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »

Facebook has an new thing called People You May Know and because of it, I've gotten about forty friend requests in two days.

That's nice.  I occasionally find someone I know or want to know there.  That was a nice gift from Sandy, by the way.

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »

We now have a Shake shack in my neighborhood, and they have the best burgers. So, I had a Shackburger, fries, and a strawberry shake for tonight's dinner.  As Thatch would say, It's yummy!
https://www.shakeshack.com/food-and-drink/

YES! THE BEST! WANT!

Where is your local one?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up