Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: IT WAS THIRTY YEARS AGO TODAY  (Read 20359 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:IT WAS THIRTY YEARS AGO TODAY
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2005, 06:46:42 PM »

BK, you've still not answered my question: Ever wonder what might have happened if you'd taken Corman's offer.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »

DtM-LOL

SWW I thought for sure the story was going to end with a litter of newborns in your basement. Maisie is a cute name.  Did you tell Diane her name?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2005, 07:08:34 PM »

Danise it will be awhile before I get my appointment at the NIH.  If all goes well I should be there during the first half of the month.

If I had my choice I would go to the NIH on the 10th & 11th and go to NY after.  However the 10th is Columbus Day & I believe they are closed.  This means I will go there, if possible, on the Monday & Tuesday prior followed by a trip to NY.  Or I will go to NY followed by an appointment at the NIH on the 17th & 18th.

Did that help at all?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 07:17:50 PM by Jane »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2005, 07:18:14 PM »

DtM-LOL

SWW I thought for sure the story was going to end with a litter of newborns in your basement. Maisie is a cute name.  Did you tell Diane her name?

Yes, we did tell her.  All right, der B is the big talker of the two of us (Elmore and BK can attest to that), and he told her the name.  Seems like it's going to stick.

Maybe later we'll go through helping with a birth.  Not yet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2005, 08:06:07 PM »

Good Evening!

Sheesh!  I think I've had enough of these "getting up before noon" days!  I'm just sooo tired now even before midnight rolls around.  What's up with that?  HUH?!?!?

;)

In any case... Another good show.  It's kind of "nice" knowing that I'm at the point where I don't have to count the number of measures of rest I have from time to time - I just "feel" them now.  Of course, being "comfortable" can be, well, let's just say, a little too comfortable at times.

Strange audience tonight too.  We could tell they liked it, but they just weren't responsive.  And hardly anyone stood during the curtain call either.  Very strange.  But, then again, very Richmond.  So...

*I also noticed tonight that I have a "nice" bruise on my left arm.  I guess I got it sometime during the move.  It only hurts when I touch it, but it's getting to that dark-purple stage..  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2005, 08:06:31 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR GEORGE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2005, 08:13:04 PM »

Jennifer, the FALLEN IDOL special report on ABC finished first in the time slot last night (of course). CSI: NY finished second, and LAW & ORDER came in third.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2005, 08:17:44 PM »

Scott finished in the top three on IDOL last week, and this week he came in last in the voting. What made the difference, especially since his was not the worst singing of the night?

Basically, arrogance. At one point Ryan asked him what he thought about the judges' opinions, and he said, "I'm just thinking about what song I'm going to sing next week."

You can be untalented and remain in the running on IDOL, but the one thing the public does not seem to tolerate is out of control ego. I believe Scott thought he was invincible, and it backfired on him.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2005, 08:20:21 PM »

I finally got around to checking out THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY which I had DVRed earlier in the week. My videotape of it looks rather pale and lifeless. The TCM broadcast was very richly saturated and pretty sharp, so I went ahead and burned a DVD-R of it.

I think I read somewhere that THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY will be a part of the Astaire-Rogers boxed set coming out in the fall, and I'm sure the commercial DVD will be even better looking, but at least for now I have a watchable copy of the film.

Michael

« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2005, 08:27:28 PM »

1969 and the lustful Turk??
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2005, 08:30:15 PM »

Re Idol: There is also the "Vote for the Worst" controversy lingering in the background, recently picked up by a few newssites (such as the Chicago Trib).

Fortunately, I've got better things to do with my time, and on my phone.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2005, 08:40:04 PM »

Michael Shayne gets the final sparkling prize - send address.

Back from a marvelous working dinner.  

Pogue - hard to know what would have happened.  The main thing is if we'd given it to him I don't know that it would have gone on to the kind of cult status it has now.  But, I'm sure you're right on at least one front - he would have let me direct some low-budget features and that would have been fun.

Michael

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2005, 08:45:39 PM »

I had always heard about the First Nudie Musical way before I met BK and always wanted to see it. But I don't think it ever made it to Montreal. Even if I was under age at the time I still was able to get into 18 years and over as I looked order so I could have seen it. But had to settle for the LP
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »

Are there such a thing as cult movies today? I don't think so. Where are the unusual Robert Altman films like Three Women or Brewster McLoud? Or a Harold and Maude?

Although I think the movie Reefer Madness recently on showtime mighty have a chance at it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2005, 08:51:08 PM »

For the fun of it I looked up The First Nudie Musical on imdb

and it came up with 9 approximate matches that are interesting

itles (Approx Matches) (Displaying 9 Results)

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame Festival of Fun Musical Spectacular (1996) (TV)
   2. Barbra Streisand... and Other Musical Instruments (1973) (TV)
   3. Champagne for Two (1947)
       aka "Musical Parade: Champagne for Two" - USA (series title)
   4. Uptown: A Tribute to the Apollo Theatre (1980) (TV)
       aka "Uptown: A Musical Comedy History of Harlem's Apollo Theatre" - USA
   5. Dogs: The Longest Running Musical in Off-Off Broadway History (2002)
   6. Ligmalion: A Musical for the 80s (1985) (TV)
   7. Musical Poster Number One (1940)
   8. Proizvodstvo muzykalnykh instrumentov (1930)
       aka "The Production of Musical Instruments" - (English title) (informal literal title)
   9. Big Sister Blues (1948)
       aka "Musical Parade: Big Sister Blues" - USA (series title)
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2005, 08:54:46 PM »

I think I first saw the nudie musical on Z or Showtime. I read the description and said:  "Hmmm, I bet I see some exposed female teles."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 08:58:04 PM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2005, 09:13:06 PM »

RE: The chili and bean debate from the other day.  I'm watching a b-b-q & chili cook-off in Vagas and the rule is NO BEANS in competition chili contests...just meat and sauce.

Michael

« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2005, 09:18:07 PM »

In case anyone wants to catch up with The First Nudie Musical you can always start here.

http://www.brucekimmel.com/
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2005, 10:10:12 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A VERY SPECIAL[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]TO DR GEORGE!!![/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2005, 10:38:40 PM »

I'm through watching the Phantom special features, so can now write my notes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2005, 10:40:48 PM »

Well, I've fallen asleep at least twice during the past couple of minutes... Thankfully, I did not drool on my laptop.  ;)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »

Why am I awake?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2005, 11:31:54 PM »

Well, my birthday dinner at Applebee's was partially successful (fortunately, more successful than not :)).  The successful part was that the food was very good.  I had the Oriental chicken salad, my dad had the chicken fried steak (which I almost got instead of the salad), my mom got one of the other salads (I forget which), my sister got some fajita-like dish, her boyfriend got the salmon and I totally forget what my niece got.  Everyone loved the food.  For dessert, I had the Apple Chimicheesecake, my sister and her boyfriend shared and my niece got her own Maple Butter Blondie and my dad had the Sizzling Apple Pie.  Very good!

The not so successful part was our waitperson.  Don't get me wrong, she was a very nice person, but she took just a little too long to get things to us.  Not so long that it was distracting, but we'd ask for something and then not see her for just enough time for us to notice that it took a little too long.  Otherwise, she did get us everything that we asked for and like I said, she was very nice.

For my presents, I previously got the tickets to Patti LuPone in Concert, that I went to last month, so I only got a card from my sister and Larry (her boyfriend)...not a problem, at all!  My niece gave me a card and $20 cash (even though I owe her $8.50). ::) And my parents gave me a check (I won't say how much, though). ;)

And with all the very Special Birthday Wishes from HHW, I have had a wonderful day!  Thank you all!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-* [/move]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 11:34:56 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »

Since I'm stuffed with lots of food (including an Apple Chimicheesecake with lots of caramel sauce), I can barely stay awake.  I'm going to pull the Wussburger thing and say goodnight to all! ;D

It's my party and I'll sleep if I want to!
Sleep if I want to!
Sleep if I want to!
You would sleep too if you ate what I did!!
;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up