Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCCINCT AND BRIEF  (Read 19086 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SUCCINCT AND BRIEF
« on: May 07, 2005, 12:05:21 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, they were quite succinct and brief, and now it is time for you to post until the succinct and brief cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 01:42:56 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SUCCINCT AND BRIEF
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 12:07:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: BULBOUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 12:08:13 AM »

Happy Birthday Danise. I hope your day and year are wonderful.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 12:08:14 AM »

As promised, here is photographic evidence of me wearing my new Fashion Plate duds at the Pasadena Playhouse.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 12:13:26 AM »

As promised, here is photographic evidence of me wearing my new Fashion Plate duds at the Pasadena Playhouse.

Pretty darned snazzy, BK!  You should be very proud! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 12:16:37 AM »

I've enjoyed seeing quite a few of the Coward plays - it is certainly the ability to deliver those lines that makes for enjoyment. Maggie Smith as Amanda.  Wow!

I've seen and enjoyed performances of "Private Lives", "Design For Living", "Hay Fever", "Blythe Spirit" and "Relative Values". I've also suffered through a bad professional production of "Private Lives".
Noel Coward plays need more than a Star name.

I've many favourite songs to list but shall leave most for others to mention. "If Love Were All" is wonderful. I am also fond of "I'll Follow My Secret Heart" and "I'll See You Again". I've never seen a production of "Bitter Sweet" but enjoy the music. Of the novelty songs I like "Nina" and "I Went To A Marvellous Party".
DR Ben will no doubt list some songs that are amongst my favourites too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 12:18:20 AM »

BK;  Lovely attire but you look so wan. Too much rain in California this year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 12:18:43 AM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 12:20:01 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A VERY, VERY, VERY[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%](that's three verys)[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR VERY[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%](that makes four! ;) )[/move]
[move=leftt,scroll,6,transparent,100%]OWN DEAR READER DANISE!!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 12:36:43 AM »

All during the play I was thinking of Maggie Smith saying those lines.  And her hubby Robert Stephens would have been a splendid Elyot.

Has Ann caught up?

BULBOUS, baby, BULBOUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 12:38:37 AM »

1973 performance BK and they were terrific.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 12:55:11 AM »

Happy B'day, Danise!

The Lovely Wife & I are still up preparing for tomorrow's do.  The L.W. is chopping slaw, having just finished devilled eggs.  I am tarting up various rooms while I watch Jack E. Leonard as one of the panelists on What's My Line.

My favourite Noel Coward's are Private Lives, Design For Living, and Hay Fever...in which I once essayed the role of David Bliss -- I remember my line, "You're magnificent, you're...tawny!"  I saw a superb production of PRIVATE LIVES in London a few years back with Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan and a set that was exquisite.  Brilliant, brilliant production!

Favourite Noel Coward songs:  If Love Were All; Don't Put Your Daughter On The Stage, Mrs. Worthington; Nina; Play, Orchestra, Play, You Were There

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 12:57:36 AM »

I remember seeing a very interesting production of the Vortex at the Huntington Hartford here in LA.  I'm trying to remember who it starred...I want to say Stephanie Beacham, but could it have been Linda Thorson?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 12:59:29 AM »

I saw the Vortex at the Hartford as well.  Who WAS in it - it was a VERY interesting cast as I recall.

George

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 01:30:39 AM »

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine asked if I could put together a CD of disco songs because her 8 year old daughter is going to a party and all the kids are bringing disco songs!  I said that I would be glad to!  I love ABBA and Donna Summer.  So, for the last three hours or so, I've been putting together two different CDs for her.  The ABBA CD is very simple:  I just made a copy of "ABBA GOLD" and added "Dream World" from the 4-CD ABBA compilation to make it almost a full 80 minutes.  The Donna Summer disc has taken me more than two and a half hours.  I have the CDs to Donna's 1977 "Live and More" concert and her 1999 "Live and More Encore."  I've filled up a whole CD between the two live CDs with up tempo dance songs and I've edited out a lot of the talking.  I don't think many eight year olds want to listen to her talk about...well, anything during a Disco Party...just bring on the music!  So that's what she's getting.  And just in case anyone is wondering, there are no Noël Coward songs on either of the disco CDs that I've compiled. ;)

As for Noel Coward, I've seen Blithe Spirit and it was absolutely delightful.  I've also seen Hay Fever that had some wonderful (local) actors, but the production just sat there like so much fish. :P I have a recording of Bitter Sweet, but I haven't listened to it in years.  I do remember enjoying it.  And I love the song "If Love Were All."

And did anyone know that if you search "Noel Coward" on www.ibdb.com, you won't get any results??  You actually have to search "Noël [alt+0235 on the number pad] Coward" to find the info.  That's just plain dumb. ::)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:33:27 AM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 04:16:07 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm having a strange payroll week:  everyone on the recording project with direct deposit were paid ear;ier this week.  As of today, there is still no activity in my account, and the business office in San Francisco seems very apathetic to my situation.  Im going through a period of anxiety over where the transfer could have gone to  I'm sure it will be resolved on Monday, but I'm very unhappy about it as I type this.

And today's my second-to-last B&N day before I'm off for around a month, so I'm trying to get my energy up for that and I'm failing: the DON GIOVANNI wasn't over until 11:30 last night, I wasn't home until midnight, and I got to bed sometime around 12:45.  The alarm at 6:30 this morning was quite unseemly.  And now enough of my complaining!

Dear Friend BK, you look splendid!

TOD:
  plays:  BLITHE SPIRIT, HAY FEVER (which I saw with Rosemary Harris in the late 1980s), PRIVATE LIVES
  songs:  If Love Were All (and most of the score to BITTERSWEET); Matelot; Sail Away; Nina, Don't Put Your Daughter on the Stage, Mrs Worthington; That is the End of the News. [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

:) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :o :o :) ;) :D ;D       HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DRDANISE!!! :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D ::) ::) :-* :-* :) ;) :D ;D
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 05:10:20 AM »

Saturday Birthdays are the BEST of ALL!!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 05:21:57 AM »

Yes Mr BK - thanks for the photograph.  You are a rhapsody in blue!

I had the same problem with the production of PRIVATE LIVES, I saw, in addition to the clothing, although the second couple seemed to get more of their laughs than the leads - who seemed to mistake brittle for arch.

My favorites have been mentioned, but I will list them again.

BLITHE SPIRIT - I even like the movie version.  HAY FEVER and DESIGN FOR LIVING.  And as for songs, "If Love Were All" is indeed a lovely bit of work.

Sir Noel's "talent to amuse" will continue for many decades, I am sure.  And if just to add something new, I will say:  "Brief Encounter."

One of my favorite NPC (aka Destiny's Tot) story is from the early 1920's when he arrived at a party in full evening dress and discovered the rest of guests were dressed in casual clothes.  He stood at the door of the salon and said graciously:  "Now, I don't want ANYONE to be embarrassed!"

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 05:31:30 AM »

Happy, Happy Birthday, DR Danise!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 06:17:40 AM »

Adore most everything of Noel Coward's that I've ever seen. HAY FEVER is probably my favorite along with PRESENT LAUGHTER. I've seen too many deadly versions of PRIVATE LIVES to put it in the first position though, as bk said, the play is marvelously crafted, but its effectiveness is at the total mercy of the actors and the direction.

Favorite song (among many): "London Pride."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 06:18:46 AM »

One Coward opus I've never seen in toto is TONIGHT AT 8:30 in all nine parts. I wish some enterprising theater would try mouting it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 06:20:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to DR Danise !!!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 06:22:48 AM »

Off in just a moment to enjoy LULLABY OF BROADWAY. It's not Noel Coward, but it'll be fun to watch after many years of not seeing it.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 06:23:14 AM »

So sad to be all alone in the world . . . .

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 07:31:35 AM »

LOL ain't it the truth, DR MATTH.

My sister Molly is bringing over her POTO DVD so that we can watch it this afternoon, so I will post MHO afterwards.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 07:32:54 AM »

Went to a yard sale and bought a Yamaha PSS-280 for $5 which is about what it's worth, BUT I like having a little keyboard dedicated to sounds in the pit.....phone rings, bells, etc.  Then the main keyboard doesn't start suddenly playing a solo in celeste mode because SOMEONE forgot to switch out!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2005, 07:47:23 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO DEAR DANISE [/color][/move]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2005, 07:49:12 AM »

Have any other dear readers hreard this story?
Student Suspended Over Call From Mom in Iraq

COLUMBUS LEDGER-ENQUIRER / KRT
 Call Leads to Suspension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLUMBUS, Ga. (May 7) - A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a mobile phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

The 10-day suspension was issued because Kevin Francois was "defiant and disorderly'' and was imposed in lieu of an arrest, Spencer High School assistant principal Alfred Parham said.

The confrontation Wednesday began after the 17-year-old junior got a call at lunchtime from his mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion.

Mobile phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom.''

Parham said the teen's suspension was based on his reaction to the teacher's request. He said the teen used profanity when taken to the office.

"Kevin got defiant and disorderly,'' Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days.''

Opinions?

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2005, 07:52:51 AM »

When I saw you in your new fashionplate duds bk  I could only think

"You're lovely,
Absolutely lovely.
Who'd believe the loveliness of you?"

They do suit you very well.  

Danise

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2005, 07:56:15 AM »

Aww, thank you all for the wonderful Birthday wishes!  :) :) :D

I slept in a bit-Hey, that's allowed on your Birthday.

I think Mr. BK looks spiffy in his new clothes.  Hubba, hubba!   :)

The POTO DVD will never be a part of my colletion.  Ugh.  I have two other versions of the story that I like much better.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2005, 07:57:47 AM »

The Vixter had her NYSMMA solo appointment this morning

She sang "to The Beloved" by Beethoven in German (her voice teacher is Austrian and likes to have her kids sing in German)

We won't kinow her score for a couple of weeks yet, by the judge told her she did very well and the voice teacher, who was the Vixter's accompianist, said that the Vixter sang perfectly and her German was flawless... so it comes down to the sight reading which the Vixter finds  more difficult....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up