Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCCINCT AND BRIEF  (Read 19220 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:SUCCINCT AND BRIEF
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2005, 07:59:09 AM »

well a quick stop and a checlk on last nights posts and I am off. The Vixter has a noon call, and I am in charge of sanwiches for the matinee intermission  (for actors and crew) so I must get to the sandwich making.  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2005, 07:59:25 AM »

Good Morning!

Slowly, but surely...

Note to self: If you go to Legend Brewing Co. after the show again, be sure to go with your old stand-by - their Brown Lager.  The Dunkelweizen is good, but it tends to "linger" so to speak...

*Of course, "it" also could have been the grilled cheese with bacon on rye, "wet" fries, and grilled donut sundae that's making me feel a little logey this morning...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2005, 08:04:35 AM »

Have any other dear readers hreard this story?Opinions?

Well, like anything, there are two sides to this story.  Yes, the boy had a right to talk to his Mother.  No, he didn't have the right to get out of hand.  

The teacher should have been a little more understanding and given the boy a moment to speak with his mom--she could have asked him to step into the hall until the call (with a reasonable amount time--say ten minutes) was over.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »

Noel Coward...

Blithe Spirit, Hay Fever, Private Lives and Design for Living (for which I once recorded some doubled-piano tracks for with various Noel Coward songs).

The Olney Theatre Center in Olney, MD usually does a Noel Coward play each season, and they're usually directed by John Going.  They usually turn out to be quite wonderful productions.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2005, 08:05:29 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR DANISE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2005, 08:06:00 AM »

Happy Derby Day Bk, CP & his  Lovely Wife

Have a wonderful partay and may your horses run well!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2005, 08:07:44 AM »

DR elmore - I ended up in payroll-no-man's-land this week too...  Hopefully, both of our issues will be resolved by Monday.  -Sometimes computers can be a little too(!) accurate, if you get my drift.  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2005, 08:09:27 AM »

Well, three hours to the matinee, and I want to head over to the Strawberry Street Festival for a bit beforehand. -And an absolutely gorgeous day for it too!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2005, 08:19:02 AM »

Thank you for the Birthday wishes, DR Jose!  

I'm just kicking back and taking it easy today.  I will go out later and get some Bar B Q from Sonnys.  I've been longing for some Beef ribs.  Yum!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2005, 08:29:50 AM »

a HAPPY HAPPY birthday to you DR Danise!!

Danise

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2005, 08:36:28 AM »

Thank you also MBarnum!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2005, 08:47:45 AM »

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR DANISE!!![/move]

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2005, 09:14:24 AM »

Progress report:

I have the yard now freshly mowed and my dinner is cooking as I type.

On to LULLABY OF BROADWAY . . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2005, 09:15:41 AM »

Yes, indeed, a glorious day in the Southland. . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2005, 09:27:30 AM »

It's already quite lovely out.  I must say I slept right up until the doorbell rang by she of the Evil Eye.  I was having some pretty strange dreams which were pretty incomprehensible to me. albeit, well-plotted.

Last night, I dreamed I was at Manderley.

In the dream was Johnny Depp, Vanessa Paradis, some third woman who was part of a menage a trois with them, and his "friends".  We were all at some movie theater to begin with, and I saw some things that I shouldn't have, and Mr. Depp became very friendly to me, as did his "friends".  Mr. Depp gave me a jar filled with what he called Thai marijuana, even though it looked like cocaine.  I disposed of it, and filled the jar with baby powder.  Meantime, Vanessa, and Johnny and the third woman had their business.  After that sequence, I went home (a house I didn't recognize) - my ex-wife was around briefly, and then my friend Debbie and her daughter were around and there was some confusion about who was picking who up and taking who where, and my daughter was in it (younger) briefly.  Then, at the house, Johnny Depp, as it turned out, was my neighbor and he kept coming over, trying to make sure I thought he liked me and was my pal.  His "friends" were keeping an eye on me, too.  The "friends" at the behest of Johnny, had offed someone and they were all quite nervous about me because I knew about it.  So did a couple of other people and they were nervous about them.  Then the police came, and I told them everything that had happened, and they were going to help me move somewhere else (they seemed very willing to move me into a posh neighborhood of my choice at their expense), the move being carefully handled so that I could not be traced or followed.  They assured me everything would be fine.  Then, the doorbell rang and I woke up.  

Strange.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2005, 09:29:19 AM »

Vanessa was doing some pretty raunchy things in this dream.  She didn't seem all that happy about the third woman, whom I can't remember much about.

I'm quite groggy still.  I shall try to not leave until tenish.  Then, I may or may not come back prior to Pogue's Partay.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2005, 09:32:03 AM »

I saw an exquisite production of PRESENT LAUGHTER with Peter Bowles a few years ago.  Last year in London we saw a rather mediocre, tired production of BLITHE SPIRIT with Penelope Keith. I'm off to Derby prep, then partay!  Probably won't be checking in for awhile, if at all the rest of the day.  The last people out of here won't probably be gone until 11:00 or 12:00.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2005, 09:33:07 AM »

Hit the road to dreamland.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2005, 09:33:38 AM »

Have a great party, DR CP and Wife!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2005, 09:35:06 AM »

Re the mobile phone controversy:  I have no doubt the teacher did exactly as they should, given the school rules.  I also have no doubt that the kid was completely obnoxious and surly in his response.  What the kid should have done was hand the phone to the teacher, explain it was his mother in Iraq and ask the teacher to speak to the mother to get special permission.  Believe me, the teacher would then have allowed the call.  I think in nine out of ten cases, kids think they are entitled to do what they please, when they please, how they please, and in today's world they are especially snarky about it in ways they've never been.

Mobile phones should not be allowed in schools.  Somehow, we all survived without them, didn't we?  Somehow we could get through a school day without having to have a cell phone glued to our ears.  Somehow, if an emergency came up, we were allowed to use a pay phone or the office phone.  But, now, what I see is kids coming off the schoolyard, calling or receiving a call from the parent telling the parent or kid that they're waiting outside to pick them up.  Duh.  Or the kid immediately calling their friends, like they just didn't see enough friends all day at school.  It's horrible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »

Of course, Mr. Guy Haines does the deliciously delicious Noel Coward song, Sail Away, on the new album.  It's one of my favorite tracks because it's arranged for just two pianos and bass, one of my all-time favorite instrumental sounds.  I've done a few two-piano things - I grew up loving that sound on at least one of the old Julius Monk revues.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2005, 09:55:14 AM »

Happy Birthday, Danise!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2005, 09:57:29 AM »

My favorite Coward is Hay Fever, but that has much to do with it being the only time I've appeared on stage, as Simon Bliss in a college production.  Our Judith Bliss was, by the by, quite bulbous.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2005, 10:07:19 AM »

Without a doubt, my favorite Coward play is PRESENT LAUGHTER.  I played Garry Essendine in a wonderful production of the show about twenty years ago.  Since this is one of Coward's less-frequently produced plays, due I am sure to the size of the cast required, rather than the quality of the show; there was an exciting sense of discovery by the audience of a jewel that they were unfamiliar with.

Coward can be either hysterically funny or deadly dull, and it depends more on the director and the actors than it does the writing.  I have seen BLITHE SPIRIT where the play literally flew from beginning to end; and I have seen other productions of the show where the opening scene between Charles and Ruth seemed to go on longer than GONE WITH THE WIND.  Wow, Margaret Mitchell and Noel Coward in one sentence.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2005, 10:07:48 AM »

Now, now, you dear, dear people out there in the dark must keep things lively today.  I must be on my way now because she of the Evil Eye is casting glances in my direction (north by northwest).  I shall be returning sometime this afternoon to ready myself for tonight's theatrical.  I shall also have a full report on the Pogue Partay and even some photographs of same.

Danise

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2005, 10:13:31 AM »

I just finished watching "Blind Fury", a Rugar Hauer movie.  Pretty good.  

We're findely having a lovely sunny day with no clouds or rain.  

I think the next thing on my agenda will be to take the doggies for a walk.   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2005, 10:34:08 AM »

The problem with cell phones in school has nothing to do with the cell phones themselves.  The problem has more to do with our increasing impatience with life.  

Kids are, by their nature, impatient.  They can't wait for their birthday.  They can't wait for Christmas.  They can't wait for summer.  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  And this impatience grows, to where they can't wait to tell their friends what happened ten seconds ago.  Remember the song "The Telephone Hour" from Bye Bye Birdie?  It's the same syndrome.

Somehow, some learn patience, but others don't.  They seek throughout their lives a way to make things "easier" (which often means of lesser quality), "simpler" (right, like programming a VCR), "faster".  Well, to be honest, just faster.

We've "progressed" from making macaroni and cheese by cooking the macaroni, developing a sauce, and baking it - to pulling a box of Kraft Macaroni-
'n-Cheese from the shelf and having the dish ready in less than half an hour, to shoving a pre-mixed bowl of EasyMac into the nuker and stuffing our faces within seconds.  At each stage, the quality goes down, but we're impatient and willing to make the sacrifice.

Oh, yes, it's faster to get a meal at McDonalds.  And if you never pay attention to the taste, you never notice how shoddy it is.

The same is true of communications.  We've gone from writing letters to sending telegrams to sending e-mails to IMing, and the language has become briefer in the process.  LOL.

And there is a side effect to all this speed.  We are also trivializing the messages we send and those we receive.  Again, the quality has dissipated.  What was once a newspaper article covering several pages became an hour-long news special report, but is now a sound bite.  There is no detail.

Let's get back to that question about the cell phone call from the mother serving in Iraq to her son.  A couple of generations ago, the soldier would have written a long, heartfelt letter to (usually) his family, that would have been treasured by all, and in turn he would have treasured every letter he received.  There was no instant communications worldwide.  Mama couldn't have called in the middle of the schoolday, interrupting his classes, making her call more important than his continuing life.  The letter would have been waiting for him when he returned home.  (I cringe thinking of the reverse, when he calls to tell her about a football game, and she has to tell him "Mommy can't talk right now, she's in the middle of a firefight.  Kisses.")  If there was something truly important, the call would be sent through the school office, who would in turn send the student a note to come to the office...and it had better not be something trivial interrupting the daily flow!  Impatience and triviality now rule.

I say ban the use of cell phones in school.  I say ban the use of cell phones by people driving cars, another breach of patience and care.  

And I say stop and really listen to people, instead of to sound bites.  I say stop and read a full message, instead of just the captions to the photographs.  I say stop and enjoy a meal, instead of eating while you drive and spilling your coffee in your lap and half your french fries under your seat.

Of course, will these wishes be granted?  LOL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2005, 10:35:59 AM »

An arrangement for two pianos and bass is much nicer than an arrangement for two pianos and carp.

MR BK what if you had been awakened by the doorbell this morning and when you answered it - there was JOHNNY DEPP?

Jed

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2005, 10:38:15 AM »

... so it comes down to the sight reading which the Vixter finds  more difficult....

Which we ALL find more difficult...

Congrats to the Vixter!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2005, 10:40:06 AM »

SWW - sometimes I think some of us are still not prepared to live in the 21st Century - and we're better off for it.

I love what technology has done for the work place and for home entertainment, and a few other things.  But mostly, I live in the past.  I don't have a cell phone or IM device other than my computer.  I like email because it saves a phone call now and then - but as you say, what we gain, sometimes is NOT made up for in what we lose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up