Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO MUCH INDIE, NOT ENOUGH GO GO, BUT STILL 105%  (Read 4595 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: TOO MUCH INDIE, NOT ENOUGH GO GO, BUT STILL 105%
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2021, 10:35:55 AM »

DR vixmom, what's costing so much? What does your car need?

Steering fluid pump, something to do with the axel, air filter, inspection

That doesn't sound good.  No wonder it is expensive :(

Jane

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »

I have told this story before, but I had a brief encounter with McMurtry at his massive bookstore complex in Archer City, which a friend and I visited on a pilgrimage. It was called Thalia in the five or six Last Picture Show novels. Signs were everywhere not to talk to him, don’t ask for autographs, etc. Sure. Got it. Then I saw him wheeling a cart around laden with books and shelving them. I had so say something without getting him upset. So I asked him where I’d find the novels of Zora Neale Hurston and Dawn Powell there. He gave me an odd look, like, why would I want to read those writers, or maybe he was thinking about where they were. He did direct me to two places, both were right. I thanked him, and that was that.

You were sneaky ;)

ChasSmith

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »

I have told this story before, but I had a brief encounter with McMurtry at his massive bookstore complex in Archer City, which a friend and I visited on a pilgrimage. It was called Thalia in the five or six Last Picture Show novels. Signs were everywhere not to talk to him, don’t ask for autographs, etc. Sure. Got it. Then I saw him wheeling a cart around laden with books and shelving them. I had so say something without getting him upset. So I asked him where I’d find the novels of Zora Neale Hurston and Dawn Powell there. He gave me an odd look, like, why would I want to read those writers, or maybe he was thinking about where they were. He did direct me to two places, both were right. I thanked him, and that was that.

I made my pilgrimage in May 2008, taking an extra day for it while on a visit to my job headquarters in Carrollton. Spent several hours there going through the four stores, picking up a few things, walking through the shell of the Royal theater, driving all around town, eating at the Dairy Queen, then spending a little more time in store #1 hoping against hope that he might show up. He didn't, and I didn't ask. But while I was paying for my stuff, I saw a couple of postcards or something about the place and added those to my purchase, and one of the women said, "oh, it makes him so happy whenever someone wants those".

Jane

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »

Both stories from John & Chas are nice memories.  Thank you for sharing them.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:04 AM »

That Dairy Queen was special. A shrine to McMurtry and his work. It formed the nucleus of Texasville, which may be my favorite of his novels. Hilarious read. But you do have to know Last Picture Show to understand it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:14 AM »

So here's the little announcement I couldn't make till now:

State regulations pending, and of course that's a big unknown at this point, I have my first post-Covid gig lined up. If it all works out, I'll be MDing and playing my first ever FANTASTICKS in a cozy 110-seat house that's perfect for it. We've secured the rights for the dates we want (mid-Sept thru early-Oct), and all that needs to happen now is every single thing going perfectly between now and then:  Covid regulations that make it doable, people showing up (vaccinated) to audition, people buying tickets for something they can't watch online, etc. And, oh yeah, I have to start practicing.

Congrats!  The score is very fulfilling to play, but it has its moments.  Harvey Schmidt was brilliant for someone who doesn't read music, and sometimes that's evident in some of the arrangements.  I hope the theatre can afford a harp - that will make your job easier - but I wouldn't use any more than piano and harp!

Thanks for the kind words, and I totally agree. I insisted on being permitted to hire a harpist. They're used to paying for a few musicians for each show, anyway, and they can damned well pay for that one.

So the search is on. The one person I knew, who's beyond incredible and has played four productions of it, would love to have said yes, but she'll be in Switzerland working on her Master's program. I've got others to contact.

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »

That Dairy Queen was special. A shrine to McMurtry and his work. It formed the nucleus of Texasville, which may be my favorite of his novels. Hilarious read. But you do have to know Last Picture Show to understand it.

You also have to have read Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »

You also have to have read Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen.

A favorite of mine among his non-fiction. I read it before reading Walter Benjamin.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:24 AM »

I worry about car issues daily, but am hoping there aren't any after the last break-in when the battery was dying every day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:42 AM »

Must go look at the campaign.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:58 AM »

Must go look at the campaign.

I just did and it's up to 107%!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »

I'm trying to imagine what a "spinach party" would entail.

Pin the tail on the cabbage?

:))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »

Took my car for an inspection and got hit with a $1500 estimate

Yikes!! :o

~~~Car Vibes for Vixmom!!~~~

George

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »

I spoke to Jeff, the super.  The chute is bolted until the vermin in the chute are exterminated.  I know what to do with my garbage until then, so I am content.

Whew!

George

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »

So here's the little announcement I couldn't make till now:

State regulations pending, and of course that's a big unknown at this point, I have my first post-Covid gig lined up. If it all works out, I'll be MDing and playing my first ever FANTASTICKS in a cozy 110-seat house that's perfect for it. We've secured the rights for the dates we want (mid-Sept thru early-Oct), and all that needs to happen now is every single thing going perfectly between now and then:  Covid regulations that make it doable, people showing up (vaccinated) to audition, people buying tickets for something they can't watch online, etc. And, oh yeah, I have to start practicing.

Congrats, ChasSmith!!  And Break Legs!! :D I love that show...except when the "director" adds mothers [which I've seen twice (different productions by the same "director")]. :P

George

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »

Back in the 1990s, I ran follow spot for a local production (performed as written) and I'm pretty sure that we had a harp.  All the performers were really good. :)

George

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »

Larry McMurtry has died. Not good.

So has Richard Gilliland, character actor and husband to Jean Smart. :(

KevinH

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »

Good afternoon!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2021, 12:15:02 PM »

I just had my first hot bath since Sunday, and it felt so good.  Showers are difficult because of the standing, so I'm happy to be back to my routine.,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2021, 12:17:17 PM »

Great news, DR ChasSmith! When I did Harvey's and Tom's Mirette at Goodspeed, we could not get a Connecticut harpist.  They were all happier playing weddings and Sunday brunches, so the two harpists alternating on The Fantasticks at Sullivan Street alternated weeks at Goodspeed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »

Congrats on The Fantasticks. I've had that vocal score book forever. In fact, I have that, 110 in the Shade, and a lovely signed copy of I Do! I Do! that the boys gave me when we were recording it. And Harvey sent me a copy of his score for the film A Texas Romance.

George

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »

Congrats on The Fantasticks. I've had that vocal score book forever. In fact, I have that, 110 in the Shade, and a lovely signed copy of I Do! I Do! that the boys gave me when we were recording it. And Harvey sent me a copy of his score for the film A Texas Romance.

Nice!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »

For DR slingshot's next dinner party.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »

Am I that gauche?        8)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »

YES!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »

:)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »

They don't specify what kind of donut, and I cannot imagine a jelly-filled donut working at all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2021, 01:29:04 PM »

I had my first Chinese food in a week. Yummilicious!

George

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »

For DR slingshot's next dinner party.

The part that gets me is at the end when they say to "Serve with mayonnaise."  What do you do with the mayonnaise?? :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up