Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 160% AND THE DIET  (Read 3186 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: 160% AND THE DIET
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »

6 more still have to go be tested
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2021, 10:57:26 AM »

But they sit on the other side of the building

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »

Vibes for your boss and the whole office staff, Vixmom.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »

The disheartening news is that he had the J&J vaccine a month ago

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »

Glad you are OK, DR vixmom.  Scary times.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 11:11:31 AM »

Condolences on the loss of your friend, DR John G.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2021, 11:34:06 AM »

Back when THE FIRM was coming out, the John Grisham books seemed to be all the rage as great "airplane reading" because they got you into the story and moved quickly, and of course there's always something compelling about legal goings-on -- as long as they're someone else's legal goings-on. And at the time, I was doing a fair amount of traveling for business, so I was the perfect target for these fast reads. (My other true favorites, though, were the lengthy Robert Ludlum novels, which I look forward to returning to sometime.)

So I had read THE FIRM, along with PELICAN BRIEF and a couple of other titles that escape me at the moment. And I remember liking the movie, but I also have a nagging memory that I felt I had been held in greater suspense while reading the book. But that often happens when film adaptations have to leave out detail that feeds the reader but not the viewer. Anyway, seeing the film in recent years, I've had an even greater appreciation for it. And yes, wonderful casting. I see this now and always wish Wilford Brimley had done more serious or bad-guy roles.

I liked the movie of The Firm better than the book. In the book, the attorney’s adultery isn’t caught and it ends with a “what a clever little boy I am” smugness that made me hate it. It was so repulsive to me that I flung the book across the room in disgust. I also threw the book away instead of donating it, because I really didn’t want anyone to read it again.

I liked the film better as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »

I did get some bad news this morning. Sandy Winokur, who owned an olive orchard south of town and invited me out for several Easters and Thanksgivings, died a couple of weeks ago. She had had several bouts of cancer. And I wonder if the stress from the freeze and snow got to her.

I bought my olive tree from her. Yesterday I was terribly afraid it died in the polar vortex, but I actually found a few new leaves yesterday. A genuine sign of resurrection.

So sorry, DR JohnG.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2021, 11:39:48 AM »

Last night I tried to watch the Royal Shakespeare Company in The Winter's Tale. I couldn't stand the voice of the actress playing Hermione and, while I've liked Anthony Sher in some things and I loved his book about playing Richard III, I just wanted to scream at him CLEAR YOUR DAMNED THROAT! I may stop watching it and go back to hte BBC Shakespeare version from 1981 or so.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »

This whole ID.me experience yesterday completely ate up my day and possibly today as well. As DR Jeanne pointed out, the damned site assumes everyone's a technical wizard, and there's little a nearly complete computer incompetent can do about it.  Thanks to my neighbor Jen I got good photos of my drivers license and passport, but I completely crashed and burned trying to take a selfie. Once kitty cleanup is finished, I will log on and see what further stroke-inducing requirements and hoops I must suffer and jump through.

~~~Continued Vibes of All Kinds for Larry!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2021, 11:48:24 AM »

BK, thanks for responding to Joel's and Susanna's requests for the Follies CD! They were both in the original Broadway production and I think they went ot LA with the show. Joel was dance captain for the original Hello, Dolly! and Susanna played Michael Caine in drag in Dressed to Kill.  They met in Follies and tey've been married for years. Joel was my principal copyist for Jubilee in 1986 and several other projects, and he worked for years as the copyist for Sesame Street.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2021, 12:14:29 PM »

I forgot to mention that we watched episode 1 of Atlantic Crossing on PBS last night, and found it quite gripping.

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »

This Pelleas CD is a performance from 1983 with Jeannette Pilou as Melisande. It also has a wonderful bonus disc I didn't know about, with excerpts from a 1978 performance with Teresa Stratas and a 1995 one with Frederica von Stade. Every one of these is more beautiful than the last. I would have been happy with all three of them, complete. But they're probably out there.

I think it was DR Elmore who said this, and it's worth repeating. There is NO NEED to watch this opera. :)  Let the music and singing play the drama out in your head. It's all there.

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2021, 12:18:59 PM »

Back when THE FIRM was coming out, the John Grisham books seemed to be all the rage as great "airplane reading" because they got you into the story and moved quickly, and of course there's always something compelling about legal goings-on -- as long as they're someone else's legal goings-on. And at the time, I was doing a fair amount of traveling for business, so I was the perfect target for these fast reads. (My other true favorites, though, were the lengthy Robert Ludlum novels, which I look forward to returning to sometime.)

So I had read THE FIRM, along with PELICAN BRIEF and a couple of other titles that escape me at the moment. And I remember liking the movie, but I also have a nagging memory that I felt I had been held in greater suspense while reading the book. But that often happens when film adaptations have to leave out detail that feeds the reader but not the viewer. Anyway, seeing the film in recent years, I've had an even greater appreciation for it. And yes, wonderful casting. I see this now and always wish Wilford Brimley had done more serious or bad-guy roles.

I liked the movie of The Firm better than the book. In the book, the attorney’s adultery isn’t caught and it ends with a “what a clever little boy I am” smugness that made me hate it. It was so repulsive to me that I flung the book across the room in disgust. I also threw the book away instead of donating it, because I really didn’t want anyone to read it again.

I liked the film better as well.

That's interesting, and it's something I didn't remember about the book.

George

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 12:41:10 PM »

The re-written "Loveland," from the 1987 London production of Follies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zdsompvy_Y

Thanks for the link, Singdaw!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2021, 12:42:15 PM »

Arizona never had a mask mandate. Our governor refused to allow local governments to require masks until our numbers were out of control last summer. After he finally decided to allow local governments to make their own decisions, our numbers went way down. He recently signed an executive order saying local governments can no longer require masks.

From what I've seen, people still wear them when going into stores because the stores require them. But I still don't go into stores often.

I will be glad to get a haircut. I haven't had a haircut in over a year. But that will be a while yet.

~~~Vibes of Continued Covid Coping for Laura and Everyone!!~~~

George

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »

This morning, my friend Carol is headed into surgery as they try again to give her an artificial hip. I hope this time everything goes well.

~~~Successful Hip Surgery Vibes for Carol!!~~~

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2021, 01:27:59 PM »

You are welcome, DR George.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:05 PM »

Now...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »

Back from Gelson's and picking up some mail, including a refund from SoCal Gas from 2017 that I'd never gotten. That'll buy me three meals.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:20 PM »

Where are The Flying Wallendas when you need 'em?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »

They're probably doing something kinky with The Randy Vicar.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »

Now on my diet - had a shrimp salad for lunch - lettuce, shrimp and parmesan cheese with Newman's Own oil and vinegar dressing. It was good. Keto all the way on this meal - zero carbs so far. Later, it will be ham and eggs, also zero carbs. Also got some Bob's Big Boy Bleu Cheese dressing and I have enough lettuce for several salads.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »

The issue for me with Keto is the meal get very boring and it's always a trial to keep on it. Normally, I count calories but at my age that's a very slow-going process, whereas Keto starts pretty quickly and moves along faster.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2021, 01:44:58 PM »

Double wow.  Wow that you tossed the book so no one would read it, and wow what a difference between the two endings.  I think they were smart to change that in the movie.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »

I saw the film, however, it was years later before I read my first Grisham novel.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2021, 01:46:41 PM »

My Ashland book group read A Painted House based on his childhood.  We all loved it.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2021, 01:47:11 PM »

I’m passionate about books that way.

I think it is wonderful you are passionate that way.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2021, 01:48:40 PM »

They we’re ok too

While sorry your boss has it I am glad you are all ok.  Stay that way vibes!

Jane

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2021, 01:49:47 PM »

I did get some bad news this morning. Sandy Winokur, who owned an olive orchard south of town and invited me out for several Easters and Thanksgivings, died a couple of weeks ago. She had had several bouts of cancer. And I wonder if the stress from the freeze and snow got to her.

I bought my olive tree from her. Yesterday I was terribly afraid it died in the polar vortex, but I actually found a few new leaves yesterday. A genuine sign of resurrection.

I am sorry for your sad news.  May you have a healthy olive tree for a long time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up