Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW DICTUM  (Read 15557 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE NEW DICTUM
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2005, 08:04:40 PM »

Well, I have a new son in LA CAGE, and he's exactly whom I had envisioned for the part all along. As I mentioned the other night, he played BArrett in TITANIC, and he's the right age and a much better actor and singer than the previous Jean-Michel. I couldn't be happier.

Of course, rehearsals were deadly tonight trying to catch him up, but he's a pro and will get up to speed in no time, I'm guessing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2005, 08:09:17 PM »

My DVR is so full of stuff to watch, I could EASILY watch just those things over the weekend and give the DVD machine a break, but I want to play more with it and will HAVE to watch some never-viewed-before DVDs this weekend on it. Thniking now what I'll select so I can have it for tomorrow's media check.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2005, 08:10:53 PM »

Horse races is right. I thought Michael Caine was awful in THE CIDER HOUSE RULES; naturally, it won him an Oscar. His accent was not very authentic, and it kept coming and going. I said in my review then, and I still think that Delroy Lindo gave the Oscar-winning performance in that film.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »

As for the historical fiction qualification question, I don't look at it from the perspective of the original writer. You're right, it might NOT have been historical fiction when the book was originally written. But as the historical period is now over a century from when I'm presently living, in my eyes, it IS historical fiction: it's fiction that takes place in a time prior to my own.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2005, 08:14:16 PM »

It almost got to 90 today. We had a nice rainstorm around 9 tonight that cooled everything off. Otherwise, I was thinking I might have to turn on my air conditioning tomorrow. But only supposed to be in the high 70s tomorrow.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2005, 09:01:33 PM »

Two more favorite hysterical historical novels:  Dr. Zhivago and Leon Uris' Trinity.

WHen I checked my e-mail tonight I saw a message from Amazon about a shipment.  I discovered that I had only ordered the Dick Dasterdly DVD set I mentioned earlier.  Now I have to order the Penelope Pitstop set seperately.  Grrrr.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2005, 09:43:34 PM »

9:30 and the jernt is empty.  This is what makes me TRUCULENT.  I thought everyone understood that we had a new dictum.  Perhaps I just need to do a little something to show that dictums are not to be ignored.  We must never ignore our dictums.  I do hope and trust there will be some people here between now and midnight.

I just finished last night's Alias.  Miss Garner's directorial debut took the show to a new low - possibly the nadir of the entire series.  Of course, not a lot of that has to do with her - the show is a well-oiled machine and it doesn't really matter who the director is.  The DP probably called most of the shots except the amateur attempts to be "with it", which were embarrassing.  The writing was horrible (shockingly, the script was by Jon Robin Baitz, who should know better, except he was paid lots of moolah - I gather he has some "connection" to Ron Rifkin, if you get my meaning, since Mr. Baitz wrote the play The Substance of Fire which brought Mr. Rifkin the kind of acclaim he'd never had before), and the bathos that went on made me nauseus.  Of all the people to bring back, did we need Amy Irving?  Joel Grey is always fun to watch.  I've stuck it out this long, so I will watch until the end of the season, which is just a handful of shows, but that will be it for Alias, which has simply worn out its welcome and run out of steam.  The first seasons, while wacky, had such craziness and spirit and wildness, that it was compulsive viewing.  Now it's just relentlessly stupid.  If  the creators can't keep up with the demands that they themselves created, then it is time for the network to pull the plug or the creators to walk away or bring in new blood.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:59:14 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2005, 10:01:54 PM »

Nobody here in over an hour, eh?  I guess no one believes me about the dictum, eh?  O-kay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2005, 10:30:19 PM »

I'm sort of hungry, but I don't have one edible thing in the house.  Horrible.  Since no one can be bothered to be here after nine any more I think I'll just close her up until the notes.  Ta.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2005, 11:04:47 PM »

Well, a couple of people have arrived, so I've reopened the jernt.  However, if this continues to be the new routine, this complete lack of people from nine on, then I will continue to lock up the jernt until midnight - I have written about this in the notes, along with my reasoning.

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2005, 11:17:15 PM »

I've spent some time (understandably) listening to "Seussical" today.. I really enjoy the work of F & A.

I shall be truant for the whole of next week. I'm hoping OzDerek will say hello for me now and then. I would rather be here than where I'm going.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2005, 11:37:11 PM »

So, let me get this straight - both George and Jed were here.  I reopened the room for them and then they read and LEFT without POSTING???

My path is clear, darlings.

We'll miss you, tomovoz.  Hurry back.

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2005, 11:47:16 PM »

Thanks BK. I"ll be here over the next two days.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up