Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ARRIVAL OF THE BOOKS  (Read 3676 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: THE ARRIVAL OF THE BOOKS
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 06:04:50 AM »

If I were sending out an invite, "Biopsy & Barbeque" would not be my first-choice title.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 06:04:56 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 06:05:02 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 06:05:46 AM »

Biopsy this morning. Then barbecue.

Don't get them mixed up.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 06:05:54 AM »

Nevertheless, ~~~GOOD RESULTS VIBES~~~ for DR John G.!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2021, 06:06:12 AM »

I’m trying my new wireless earbuds today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2021, 06:06:22 AM »

I enjoyed vixmom's locking out story very much.

John G.

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2021, 06:06:51 AM »

Biopsy this morning. Then barbecue.

Don't get them mixed up.

I’m trying my best.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2021, 06:09:19 AM »

The earbuds are not canceling out background noise.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2021, 06:21:44 AM »

Last night we watched I Remember Mama, which I've never before seen. I remember vaguely a high school production maybe 60 years ago and Peggy Wood's TV series, and I've read both Kathryn Forbes' book Mama's Bank Account and John Van Druten's play, which was published in a Pocket Books edition titled something like "Three Comedies of American Family Life," including Life With Father and You Can't Take It With You. I must have read that book 20-30 times in the 1960s and 70s.

Irene Dunne is so damned wonderful as Mama, but I also loved Oscar Homolka as Uncle Chris and Florence Bates as a successful writer, but the whole cast is amazing. Rudy Vallee and Edgar Bergen in serious roles? Yep, and I would never have guessed who they were. The film is beautifully directed, but I think it needs a good restoration. Criterion, where are yopu?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 06:24:50 AM »

Somewhere around the years 1990-1992 I managed to lock myself out of my car not once, but twice within a relatively short span of time.

The first time, I was on a country drive during one of my first New England fall season explorations. I had stopped at a roadside store that sold apple cider and all manner of country-ish things, browsed a bit, used the restroom, bought a gallon of cider, and walked back over to my car, at which time I found my keys weren't in my pocket. The car was locked, with the keys inside. Nowadays I'd call the AAA, but maybe I wasn't a member right then, I dunno, but I actually called the local police and asked for help. They were totally obliging and had the door opened in no time using the hook tool in the window.

A few months later I was parked in a large lot in downtown Danbury. A street festival or something was going on, so there were cops all around and I again made my plea for assistance. They were initially unwilling to help, saying they're no longer allowed to do that -- not only for insurance reasons but because there have been instances of the person getting zapped with some voltage if the tool grabs the wrong thing. I told them the police in a neighboring area had done it that other time, and they were surprised to hear that but they said they'd be willing to let me use the thingy and do it myself with them there. So I did it, my one time to have done such a thing, and thank goodness it worked.

Don't ask me where my concentration was that year, that this could have happened to me twice within a few months, but apparently I learned my lesson and have thereafter been keenly aware of where my keys are at all times.

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2021, 06:27:39 AM »

Last night we watched I Remember Mama, which I've never before seen. I remember vaguely a high school production maybe 60 years ago and Peggy Wood's TV series, and I've read both Kathryn Forbes' book Mama's Bank Account and John Van Druten's play, which was published in a Pocket Books edition titled something like "Three Comedies of American Family Life," including Life With Father and You Can't Take It With You. I must have read that book 20-30 times in the 1960s and 70s.

Irene Dunne is so damned wonderful as Mama, but I also loved Oscar Homolka as Uncle Chris and Florence Bates as a successful writer, but the whole cast is amazing. Rudy Vallee and Edgar Bergen in serious roles? Yep, and I would never have guessed who they were. The film is beautifully directed, but I think it needs a good restoration. Criterion, where are yopu?

Interesting! Those two plays were such staples when we were kids, and I had much the same experiences with the material. I'd forgotten about the TV series, and would enjoy seeing a couple of episodes. 

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2021, 06:33:45 AM »

Moby Dick.  It's about this...       

Whale.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2021, 06:34:08 AM »

I just love Roz's line reading!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2021, 06:40:06 AM »

:)

John G.

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 07:10:11 AM »

Well, that was certainly unpleasant. But it’s done. Results next week.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2021, 07:40:31 AM »

Results vibes for DR JOHN G.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »

Well yesterday I was getting ready to leave for rehearsal when I got a message on my phone that my sister Molly had been taken to the ER by ambulance.

I messaged the director and said I wouldn't be at rehearsal and my sister Paula picked me up and we drove to the hospital.

At first the doctors thought it was a "cardiac event" but hours later confirmed that it was dehydration and anxiety.  She was released at 9:30 p.m. and is resting today.

But it was scary for a little while.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 07:43:55 AM »

So that was my Wednesday night.  When I got home, I turned on TCM so that I could let a nice movie make me feel better.

Unfortunately, they were showing JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG which did NOT make me feel better.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »

I have locked myself out of my car a couple of times over the years.....but I don't think I've ever locked myself out of my house.

I heard however about a blonde lady who telephone the police and asked them to come and help her because her keys were locked in her car.  They said they would.  She called them back and told them to hurry because it looked like rain and the car top was down.

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2021, 07:47:51 AM »

HAH!

Sorry to hear about your sister, DR Jrand70, but very glad to hear it was a "non-event".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »

Thanks DR CHAS SMITH.....indeed, me, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »

Very excited about the books and the treats!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 07:55:11 AM »

I will be receiving my book because of MR BK's excellent memory.

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »

I have never locked myself out of my house, which is a good thing because with my current locks it would be all too easy to do.

When I changed the doorknobs and locks back in 1999 or so following a (fortunately very minor) burglary, the replacements had the kind of deadbolts that lock with a key on the inside, as opposed to a knob thingy you would turn. Those are good security as far as would-be breaker-inners go, because when you leave the house you take the key out and there's nothing there for them to turn if they bust through a window in, or next to, the door. BUT you have to leave the key in it when you're home, or, if locked, you'd be fumbling for the key whenever, say, the house is on fire. But there's another BUT. If you're in the habit of locking the doorknob itself, you don't dare push that button and then walk outside without your keys because even if the deadbolt is unlocked, you can't get back in.

That was a change from what I'd had previously. I forget now, but those knobs would unlock when you turned the knob from the inside, so there was a good chance that you wouldn't step outside with it locked. I think. I just know we're always aware of not using the doorknob locks due to that risk, since those are extremely low security anyway. It's the deadbolt that keeps you secure.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 07:57:22 AM »

DR TCB - our theatre usually seats 198 folks, with space for a few extras on the House Left side which are usually sold to folks without reservations on SOLD OUT nights....half price limited view.

Our new configuration has 80 seats.....total.....social distancing.   So even with adding three performances our total capacity is 800 per show when we usually sell almost twice that.

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2021, 08:03:29 AM »

Wow. I haven't heard yet what our seating arrangement will be for The Fantasticks in September.
It's only a 110-seat house.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2021, 08:04:04 AM »

So that was my Wednesday night.  When I got home, I turned on TCM so that I could let a nice movie make me feel better.

Unfortunately, they were showing JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG which did NOT make me feel better.

LOL! I'm sorry, DR Jrand70, but life has such a cruel sense of humor. I hope your sister is feeling better today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »

Waiting to order barbecue. There’s something on the menu called Akashi Pot Pie. Sounds most intriguing.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »

Onward
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up