Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DIRTY BK  (Read 2700 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: DIRTY BK
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »

I stopped Pinocchio and started a documentary about the artist David Wojnarowicz, subtitled "F**k You F*ggot F**cker." The stars are used on the CD case. It's certainly not a kids' movie.

I saw a film about him, Postcards from America, years ago. He had a horrible life.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2021, 02:12:47 PM »

Dear reader John G. wrote a wonderful review of Some Days Are Murder - check it out.

John G.

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2021, 02:15:54 PM »

I stopped Pinocchio and started a documentary about the artist David Wojnarowicz, subtitled "F**k You F*ggot F**cker." The stars are used on the CD case. It's certainly not a kids' movie.

I saw a film about him, Postcards from America, years ago. He had a horrible life.

He did. The stories of his childhood are just horrific.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2021, 02:29:04 PM »

Excited to read about all the extras on the Tonight's the Night CD.   (The Blu-Ray, too, but we already knew about those).
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »

I have read quite a few books by Ruth Ware. She is very popular. I actually really liked The Woman in Cabin 10.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2021, 03:21:07 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the mail place and then dinner.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »

White Kitty Update.....owners are coming back to get her when they get their new space.....neighbors are "fostering" her until then---she has disappeared, they don't know where.....

Jennifer has been informed.....I don't know who was at her house today - must have just been company and I assumed they had White Kitty with them.

By the way - the itinerant owners announced to the foster parents that her name is KILLER.

Good news they are returning for Killer, and vibes they find her.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »

This morning we enjoyed brunch and visiting with friends at their home.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »

Once home we went for a late walk.

John G.

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »

I have read quite a few books by Ruth Ware. She is very popular. I actually really liked The Woman in Cabin 10.
I'm halfway through, and both like it and dislike things about it.

Dislikes:
Being an ex-journalist who has done a few press junkets, I can say that the depiction is highly fanciful. Lo would never have that much alone time. And she would be in a world of trouble if she didn't try harder to get in touch with her employer. But it's all stuff that would bore readers mostly.

If she's claustrophobic, she would have had more trepidation before getting on the boat. Most cabins on a regular ship are no larger than the rooms that are bothering her.

The title is somewhat irritating. Lo keeps referring to her as a girl. No one has referred to her at all as a woman. So, "The Girl in Cabin 10" would have been a more accurate title. It might make people think of her as being a 10-year-old, I know.

The writer hasn't tipped her hand through the first half. I don't yet have much of a clue about who has done what. And there are plenty of unlikable people on the boat.

Whenever the mystery lags on the boat with details of body wraps and how the heroine likes her coffee (white, no sugar, we know), the news bulletins from shore ratchet up the tension again.

Everything moves relatively quickly, which is why I've been able to finish half in two days.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2021, 04:44:35 PM »

I don't get gremolata. I made it to garnish a butternut squash soup (according to the recipe), but I can probably think of better toppers, like the baked parmesan crisps I have or a swirl of lemon zest in some sour cream or a little salsa, something cool to balance the thick, hot soup.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2021, 04:45:35 PM »

On the walking path, passing past the park, we saw two police SUVs but no police or people.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »

Then we saw what looked like two policemen coming down the path in a little cart, like a golf cart.  They stopped to talk to a man walking while his young son rode his little bike.  Then the police continued on saying hello as they passed us. 

Jane

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2021, 04:46:05 PM »

When we passed the man & kid I commented it must have been a surprise to have police stop in a little cart.  He said they gave his son a badge  :)

Jane

« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2021, 04:48:01 PM »

I'm halfway through, and both like it and dislike things about it.

Dislikes:
Being an ex-journalist who has done a few press junkets, I can say that the depiction is highly fanciful. Lo would never have that much alone time. And she would be in a world of trouble if she didn't try harder to get in touch with her employer. But it's all stuff that would bore readers mostly.

If she's claustrophobic, she would have had more trepidation before getting on the boat. Most cabins on a regular ship are no larger than the rooms that are bothering her.

The title is somewhat irritating. Lo keeps referring to her as a girl. No one has referred to her at all as a woman. So, "The Girl in Cabin 10" would have been a more accurate title. It might make people think of her as being a 10-year-old, I know.

The writer hasn't tipped her hand through the first half. I don't yet have much of a clue about who has done what. And there are plenty of unlikable people on the boat.

Whenever the mystery lags on the boat with details of body wraps and how the heroine likes her coffee (white, no sugar, we know), the news bulletins from shore ratchet up the tension again.

Everything moves relatively quickly, which is why I've been able to finish half in two days.

It was a quick read.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »

An email was sent out today that our clubhouse was broken into this morning.  It didn't mention any damage, however, the clubhouse is closed until everything can be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized  >:(

Jane

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »

I doubt anyone cares about the clubhouse being closed on this raining day, unless they planned to workout in the fitness room.

John G.

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »

Not good news, Jane.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »

Watching a fun, minor flick called Across the Bridge with Rod Steiger as a man on the run who tries to take on another man's identity. Turns out the other man was wanted, too.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »

I bought a box of Enlightened low-carb ice cream bars. It wasn't offensive, but it didn't cool me down much either.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »

Back from a wonderful dinner with Peyton and her mother. Peyton is  taller, grown up, and all her issues seem to have been sorted out - she's put on some weight and seems very happy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2021, 06:33:21 PM »

:)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »

Watching a fun, minor flick called Across the Bridge with Rod Steiger as a man on the run who tries to take on another man's identity. Turns out the other man was wanted, too.

That's funny.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »

'night

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »

Watched a classical song recital today on PBS. Sponsored by the Metropolitan Opera. Norwegian soprano Lise Davidsen.

Wow. She's the real deal.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 06:49:55 PM by singdaw »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2021, 06:50:21 PM »

Good night, friends.

John G.

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »

That's funny.

The movie was a hard-boiled crime story, despite the ironic twist.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »

Starting to watch Merrily We Go to Hell with Sylvia Sidney and Frederic March. Fun title, but I don't know how fun the movie will be.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2021, 07:10:28 PM »

One more ...
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up