Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MR. BERNSTEIN DOES MR. STRAVINSKY  (Read 3097 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MR. BERNSTEIN DOES MR. STRAVINSKY
« on: May 27, 2021, 12:03:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes did Mr. Stravinsky, and now it is time for you to post until the Stravinsky cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MR. BERNSTEIN DOES MR. STRAVINSKY
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 12:04:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: SANGUINE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 12:21:07 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I was never a specific Clint Eastwood fan.  I think the only movie of his (as an actor) that I've watched all the way through was Paint Your Wagon. ::) I haven't even seen Pink Cadillac, and Bernadette Peters is in that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 12:22:35 AM »

And as a director, I have seen Jersey Boys.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 12:22:51 AM »

That's pretty much it.

George

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 12:27:17 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed.

Have a good day, all!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 03:58:23 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 03:59:11 AM »

I slept rather well kast night, so why am I so sleepy now?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 04:21:43 AM »

Last night we watched the 1978 PBS broadcast of the Opera Theatre of St Louis production of Benjamin Britten's comic opera Albert Herring. I've seen three live productions - University of Cincinnati CCM, Manhattan School of Music, and a lower East Side production - and three or four videos including Sir Peter Hall's Glyndebourne production, and I'm moving this St Louis production to the top of the list with the Cincinnati production of performances. It's really well done. The comedy is about the events preparing for May Day 1900 in a small English town, Loxford, reigned over by Lady Billows, a Wagnerian harpy with her nose in everyone's business, and her housekeeper Florence Pike. The committee of town leaders - Mayor, vicar, police chief, and school teacher Miss Wordsworth = have failed to find a pretty young virgin to crown as May Queen, the town's symbol for purity, innocence, and grace. As Florence Pike observes, "Country virgins, if there be such, think too little and see too much."

So, they decide to crown Albert Herring, the greengrocer's son and repressed mama's boy, as May King, and all hell erupts, especially after his friend Sid, with his girlfriend Nancy, laces his lemonade with rum at the May Day festivities.

The weakest performance performance for me was the ditzy coloratura school teacher; the singer is young and pretty and sings well, but she's not a very good actress. The Mayor, Vicar, and Police sergeant are wonderful. The Sid and Nancy are attractive and quite wonderful as two unabashed young lovers sneaking around after dark behind their parents, and James Hoback as Albert is really terrific. The jury is still out on Pauline Tinsley, who just died a week ago at the age of 93, as Lady Billows. She has the notes and the poise, but she's not Edith Evans' Lady Bracknell, which seems the prototype.

The production does a wonderful job of filling out visuals during the scene change interludes in Acts One and Two, and my only other complaint is the erratic sound mix of the chamber orchestra.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:28:31 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 04:31:00 AM »

I must pay some bills today and accomplish a bit of work. I also need to call my friend Michael Gildin, who conducted the Fiddler on the Roof that DR Laura saw,  and see if I can hire him to help me weed out a lot of unnecessary materials from the apartment.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 04:49:11 AM »

Good morning, friends.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 04:59:22 AM »

Thanks for that comprehensive report, DR elmore3003. I love Albert Herring. That coincidentally is the new production by Minnesota Opera, available online for free now through June 5 at mnopera.org

Unfortunately, I found the sound levels quite low. It's an environmental staging. I haven't finished it yet. My sense is that it's not at the level of some of the performances you describe.

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 05:22:36 AM »

Congrats to MR BK on his monumental millstone.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 05:24:13 AM »

I guess I don't understand the purchase of meals through the mail....I understand the concept, but I don't see how ALL of them could be good.

I of course eat some frozen meals now and then....especially the Marie Callender "bowls" - but I am sure they are full of calories and carbs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 05:25:35 AM »

One more rehearsal and then off until Monday.

Last night, the local newspaper took some photos.  It doesn't seem to be on their site....yet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 05:26:19 AM »

Albert Herring - thanks for the info DR ELMORE and thanks to DR singdaw for the link.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 05:27:19 AM »

Clint Eastwood

Actor:
The Beguiled
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Director:
Play Misty For Me
Any Which Way But Loose

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 05:30:34 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 05:48:29 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 06:00:09 AM »

Last night I watched Mystery of the Wax Museum and the first 30 minutes of the first commentary. At that point I was nodding off because I started too late, so I shall finish that commentary and listen to the other one tonight.

What an incredible style! The once or twice I'd ever seen it, I simply wasn't appreciating it like you can now with this restoration. My eyes were glued to every shot, and all of DR Elmore's observations are spot on.

My Doctor X is supposed to be delivered today, and I'm sure I won't be able to resist watching that one straight through tonight as well.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 06:08:30 AM »

Indeed, congratulations are to be extended to bk on his lofty new perch in the HHW firmament.

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 06:09:27 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore, for the Albert Herring write-up, and DR singdaw for the additional link.

I wish I had a recording of our production at school. I played the piano in the chamber orchestra, and from what I'm remembering, that pit orchestra should have sounded damned good. But I don't imagine for one minute that the production would even have approached that of, say, the UC-CCM one DR Elmore refers to.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 06:16:05 AM »

Thanks for that comprehensive report, DR elmore3003. I love Albert Herring. That coincidentally is the new production by Minnesota Opera, available online for free now through June 5 at mnopera.org

Unfortunately, I found the sound levels quite low. It's an environmental staging. I haven't finished it yet. My sense is that it's not at the level of some of the performances you describe.

Thanks for the link, DR singdaw, but I hated what I saw. We're no longer in 1900, Florence Pike is the housekeeper, not the maid. Her tragedy is that her position at Lady Billows' estate makes her believe she's above the middle class people she must associate with and not the aristocracy where she feels she belongs. Lady Billows looks far too young and sophisticated to be such a prig about virtue. The kids look great, as does Albert, but Sid looks too old with that beard. And where is the orchestra?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 06:17:13 AM »

Last night I watched Mystery of the Wax Museum and the first 30 minutes of the first commentary. At that point I was nodding off because I started too late, so I shall finish that commentary and listen to the other one tonight.

What an incredible style! The once or twice I'd ever seen it, I simply wasn't appreciating it like you can now with this restoration. My eyes were glued to every shot, and all of DR Elmore's observations are spot on.

My Doctor X is supposed to be delivered today, and I'm sure I won't be able to resist watching that one straight through tonight as well.

That final greenish set for the museum's workroom is amazing.

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 06:17:52 AM »

I have that Dirty Harry box set and enjoyed watching those, in their varying degrees of goodness and badness, back when I got that set, however long ago that was. At that time, I had never seen any but the first film, and in my ignorance I was actually surprised to find Tyne Daly there. I've only seen those others just that one time, so I'm ready to go again.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »

If anyone is interested in that 1978 PBS broadcast of Albert Herring, here's a link to the DVD. The picture quality is very good. You need to log on and search for it among the various other DVDs and CDs of the opera, where it's listed as 1978 Hoback, Tinsley, Gerber, Pruett, Christin; Moriarty. (No Subtitles). I see that Mineapolis Opera production is here on both CD and DVD.
https://premiereoperaintl.com/dvd6000albertherring.aspx
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:27:22 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2021, 06:25:01 AM »

If anyone is interested in that 1978 PBS broadcast of Albert Herring, here's a link to the DVD. The picture quality is very good.

Yes, I was going to ask. Thank you!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 06:29:04 AM »

If anyone is interested in that 1978 PBS broadcast of Albert Herring, here's a link to the DVD. The picture quality is very good.

When I saw that the link did not go directly to the DVD, I added more info to my original post.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »

When I saw that the link did not go directly to the DVD, I added more info to my original post.

Right, got it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2021, 06:33:08 AM »

DR Elmore, do you have your Access-a-Ride today? I remembered you moved it to later in the week.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up