Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES  (Read 20327 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2005, 10:00:28 AM »

Pacific Northwesterners-
Just read a fascinating article in this magazine we get called "Ready Made". Great mag, by the way. But the article was about the McMenamin brothers, who have made it their life's goal to restore old theatres around Portland, such as the Bagdad. They also took a place called the Franklin School and turned it into a neat hotel. They sound like pretty cool guys. They apparently own 52 lovingly restored establishments in Oregon and Washington.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2005, 10:00:51 AM »

George I found your photos of the lawn fun-my goodness that was high.  ;D

Trigger is a cutie and a Blue Heeler, also known as an Australian Cattle Dog.  For more info: http://www.cattledog.com/

That's it!  Thank's for the info, Jane! :D

And yes Trigger is sooooooooo cute!!  But FORTUNATELY, "cute" doesn't make me want a dog.  I guess I'm just not that maternal...unless it's that I just think about what they might look like when they're grown up (no longer "cute") and any medical problems that they might have and what it would take to train them, which I've never done before...all of that adds up to me thinking "Trigger is sooooooooo cute, but I'm glad he's not mine!" ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2005, 10:01:42 AM »

But I digress. I like to mix condiments with foods they wouldn't usually go with. Like chips with frosting. Strawberries with salsa (delicious!). Pizza with chocolate. I am a fantastic cook.

I like ranch dressing on pepperoni pizza and when I was in high school, I used to put tartar sauce on pizza.  Now that was good! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2005, 10:10:02 AM »

MBarnum-
Don't know if you watched Godzilla and Angorus kick the tar out of Ghidrah and Gigan today on Sci-Fi, but it was a royal beatdown.

LOL! That one I have not seen since I was a kid in the 70s!

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »

Pacific Northwesterners-
Just read a fascinating article in this magazine we get called "Ready Made". Great mag, by the way. But the article was about the McMenamin brothers, who have made it their life's goal to restore old theatres around Portland, such as the Bagdad. They also took a place called the Franklin School and turned it into a neat hotel. They sound like pretty cool guys. They apparently own 52 lovingly restored establishments in Oregon and Washington.

I have been to the Franklin School and it is cool! And it is a hotel/lounge/restaurant/movie theater...and a few of the school rooms are kept as they were in the olden days! Lots of vintage school photos and photos of old Portland all over the place...it was a big school!

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2005, 10:14:27 AM »

Uh, oh, Jeff Morrow and Colleen Gray are fleeing the Apaches on the Encore Western Channel! LOL!

I love these 1950s B westerns!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2005, 10:16:03 AM »

Elsewhere...

It was seventy-five years ago, in 1930, that Ellen Church became the first flight attendant, aka stewardess, caring for eleven passengers aboard a United Airlines tri-motor Boeing 80A as they few from San Francisco to Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Ms. Church, a registered nurse, is credited with coming up with the idea of having flight attendants aboard airliners, and led a remarkable life.

I've been able to find no reason for why the eleven passengers were flying from San Francisco to Cheyenne, however.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2005, 10:18:55 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm....actually just LAST Sunday, I did suggest a topic:  What was your favorite picture of your Mother?

And I, personally came up with three thrilling (okay, dumb) topics last Sunday:

Favorite Zane Grey book.

Least favorite dental procedure.

Best-looking Nazi.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2005, 10:29:41 AM »

DR SWW -  I think Mrs. Trumbill would make a great Grand Moff Tarkin.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »

Wasn't Marathon Man about Nazi dental procedures?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2005, 10:30:42 AM »

I watched the SCI FI movie this morning....whew!  What a combination...alien invaders who were in reality Cosmic Cockroaches, and a kickball fight involving Godzilla and two other BIG monsters.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2005, 10:34:10 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Well, I guess I'm back to normal.  I got out of bed at 12:30(pm).

;)

And, alas, I did not got to Lancaster today.  Although, with the weird weather pattern we're in right now, I have a feeling I wouldn't be enjoying the time up there as much as I would - with or without Andy's sister.  ;)

Unfortunately, the other event I was hoping to attend today was cancelled due to the very possible inclement weather:  John Michael's soccer game.  :(  At least his team won the game they played yesterday.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2005, 10:36:44 AM »

Great topics too.

Oddly, Fox Movie Channel showed three old FLY movies yesterday, THE FLY, RETURN OF THE FLY and CURSE OF THE FLY. Tonight they show THE FLY II with Eric Stoltz. But at no point will they show Pogue's THE FLY. Is that not a Fox picture?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »

Der Brucer has proposed that he and I attend a book reading and signing today, at Browseabout Books, the best of the local bookstores.  Not that there's much competition on that front.   :-\

The book being featured is Identify Yourself: The 50 Most Common Birding Identification Challenges, by Bill Thompson III, a local writer.

He does come up with different things to do, der Brucer does.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2005, 10:38:54 AM »

I watched the SCI FI movie this morning....whew!  What a combination...alien invaders who were in reality Cosmic Cockroaches, and a kickball fight involving Godzilla and two other BIG monsters.

Did Ghidrah not get shamed in that final battle? He hied himself home with his heads between his legs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2005, 10:43:47 AM »

Condiments:

Mayo:  Duke's - I happily discovered this stuff while in Richmond.  A true Southern "delicacy" if you will.  Great mayo!  And it contains no sugar - it's only "sweetened" with cider vinegar.  It's also not as processed as other brands, and not full of preservatives - it has a "normal" shelf life of a few months, rather than a few years.  I was a "salad dressing" fan for a while, but that changed once I discovered Duke's.  *Duke's is also the perfect mayo for making homemade pimiento cheese!

Ketchup - Heinz 57.  I remember as a kid being already able to discern the difference between Heinz and everything else (Del Monte, Hunts, etc.) due to my family's semi-frequent visits to fast-food establishments.  Catsup just never did it for me.

Mustard - Yellow, Brown, Dijon, Horseradish(!), Grainy...  I like it all.  I came across a "white" mustard once made especially for pretzels - hard or soft.  I must find it again sometime - sooooo good.

Hot sauces - I like Tabasco, but I usually prefer Frank's, Crystal, etc.  Sometimes the fermented quality of Tabasco doesn't sit well with me.  The aforementioned Sriracha "Rooster Sauce" is also a constant condiment companion, along with many of those other Asian chile/garlic/vinegar concoctions (sambal oleck, etc.).
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2005, 10:46:56 AM »

As for ketchup, I generally spike it with some hot sauce.  Tabasco used to be my condiment of choice there, but Sriracha works better, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:47:35 AM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2005, 10:47:11 AM »

DR Sandra - If you can find a bottle of Tamari - the real Japanese soy sauce - try a splash or two on top of some vanilla ice cream.  The San-J corporation makes a very good one - and it's made in Virginia.  It's a little more pricey than Kikkoman, but it's sooooo much better.  When I played for their "welcome" reception at the Governor's Mansion in Richmond a couple of years ago, they served vanilla ice cream topped with tamari for dessert.  A truly pleasant culinary surprise.

*San-J also has a fine line of other assorted condiments, all worth the time to seek out - and the money to spend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »

Growing up in a Filipino household, vinegar - usually spiked with cloves of garlic, and patis - fish sauce - were always on the table.  In addition to soy sauce.  There's always an old salad dressing bottle in the fridge that my mom has filled with vinegar, garlic cloves and sometimes some chile peppers.  Very good on grilled meats, especially pork.

As for the patis... Truly stinky stuff, but when used sparingly and properly, it's a nice salt substitute.  It's the Filipino version of the Thai and Vietnamese nuoc nam.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2005, 10:52:49 AM »

Did Ghidrah not get shamed in that final battle? He hied himself home with his heads between his legs.

So true, DRRODZINSKI....however he first did a fine job at some Tokyo leveling.  Although Gigon had to make do with flattening the apartment of a couple of Barbie dolls.  ;D

DRMATTH - thanks, I knew SOME of the fighter story but not much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2005, 10:54:54 AM »

Hmmm... Just leafing through the Washington Post calendar section....  The Great Rum Punch Challenge is this Saturday...  I guess I could go between shows.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2005, 10:56:07 AM »

THE FLY by CEP is a Brooksfilms production with Fox ties....so who knows why they skipped it?

I really like all three of the originals as well....CURSE OF THE FLY is pretty scary!

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »

Here is a Sunday topic:

What are your 3 top favorite movies studios. The studios that made the films you are most fond of, that give you that warm, comfy feeling.

Mine are:

UNIVERSAL (later known as UNIVERSAL-INTERNATIONAL). This studio made many of my favorite horror, sci-fi, westerns, and dramas...and had a wonderful stable of players in the 30s, 40s, and 50s people like Allison Hayes, William Reynolds, Rex Reason, Anne Gwynne, Evelyn Ankers, Keith Andes, Donald Cook, Lori Nelson, Gregg Palmer, Race Gentry, Audie Murphy, Mamie Van Doren, Rock Hudson and on and on.

A.I.P. (American International Pictures). In the 1950s they were responsible for ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, REFORM SCHOOL GIRL, EARTH VS. THE SPIDER, GHOST OF DRAGSTRIP HOLLOW, THE UNDEAD, GUNSLINGER, SORORITY GIRL, VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT and many more of my favorites. And of course they employed both Allison Hayes and June Kenney!

ALLIED ARTISTS. Allison and June seemed to divide there time between Allied Artists and AIP in the late 50s and this studio brought forth such classics as HOT CAR GIRL, THE DISEMBODIED, FROM HELL IT CAME, THE OKLAHOMAN, TEENAGE DOLL, The Bomba films, The Bowery Boys films, etc.

Runners up would be Columbia Pictures, United Artists, and Toho Studios.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2005, 11:02:32 AM »

Time for some peanut butter and jam and a Hong Kong movie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2005, 11:03:25 AM »

And the Washington Post Magazine has a couple of articles this week that truly had me laughing out loud...  So... If you happen to need some more reading material....

Question Celebrity
With Hank Stuever

Sunday, May 15, 2005; Page W05

I think we all understand the sycophantic need to defer to (and praise, and perhaps ultimately worship) a creative genius, especially if he signs the paychecks. But I still can't figure out how all the many hundreds of people who work for George Lucas managed to let him make three heartbreakingly mediocre "Star Wars" prequels, without once suggesting to him that his ideas, screenplays and direction over the past decade have been a stunning embarrassment. It seems none of these lackeys -- producers, art staff, mouse clickers, key grips, lunch ladies -- ever suggested to the Flanneled One that Jar Jar Binks was a bad idea, or that people didn't want to see Darth Vader played by a child actor. Does anyone ever tell Lucas "no"?...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001262.html
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2005, 11:05:47 AM »

RKO, you almost can't go wrong watching one of their 30s movies.

WB, great stars, real momentum in their pictures

AIP, like a grab bag full o' goodies

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2005, 11:06:24 AM »

And then there was this:

The Babble Belt
Filibusters, faith and the Washington tradition of faking it
By Gene Weingarten

which is why I rise today to speak on behalf of the filibuster, a noble parliamentary device that has come under grievous assault in recent weeks for being a supposed tool of those who would do battle against God Himself; that, by threatening to filibuster, the secular-humanist minority in the U.S. Senate is supposedly blocking the appointment of judges of faith, and that faith is good and wholesome -- as American as apple pie and Mom -- which may be true but is a contention that belies the critics' central argument, since it is a hallmark of the beleaguered American mom that she often has to talk until she is blue in the face, which is precisely what filibustering is; moreover, once one condones the discrimination against the blue of face, one may just as well condone discrimination against the brown of face, the yellow of face and so forth, which is not only un-American but a slippery slope of bias leading inevitably to discrimination against people with big, hairy moles on their faces, like my grandma, and I, for one, resent it;...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001266.html
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »

And this...

Pulled Up by Her Rooting
The other mothers wouldn't mind a little cheering from the bleachers. Would they?
By Jeanne Marie Laskas

Sunday, May 15, 2005; Page W43

The letter is from "a concerned parent," and it has just arrived via the pink backpack my daughter takes to kindergarten each day. It has been called to the league's attention that certain parents have been chanting derogatory phrases about other teams in the league, it begins.

Oh, dear. This can't be good...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001261.html
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2005, 11:10:17 AM »

Here is a Sunday topic:

What are your 3 top favorite movies studios. The studios that made the films you are most fond of, that give you that warm, comfy feeling.

M.G.M -- without a doubt, basically because of their musicals.

Disney (Buena Vista) -- for that comfy feeling

Universal -- just cuz.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 11:12:06 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2005, 11:12:31 AM »

Then there was this tribute to footwear...

May Your Feet Grow Wings
A man, a shoe, an obsession
By John Kelly

Sunday, May 15, 2005; Page W18

I sing of shoes and the man, of boot and loafer and lace-up, of sneaker and flip-flop.

But of all of these shoes, I sing of one shoe in particular: stout of sole and firm of heel, the upper shot with tiny holes and edged in serrated leather, anointed on its toe with a curious medallion and marked over the instep by a sign, a sign as recognizable as the Z of Zorro or the ankh of the sun god Ra.1 See it? The symbol? From where you're standing it looks like a lazy W, but from where I'm standing -- looking down at the well-polished shoes on my feet -- it resembles a bird in flight about to flap its powerful wings and soar higher still.

I sing of the wingtip.

Be sure to read the "foot" notes.  ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001270.html
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up