Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CONTROVERSIAL  (Read 2524 times)

ChasSmith

Re: CONTROVERSIAL
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »

One of my favorites of all is Ken Russell's The Devils. I saw it in its first run in Hollywood, and for some reason, I want to say it was at the Vogue. I have to look that up on a future trip down the rabbit hole. But I then saw it another couple of times over the next few years. I'm not sure about those venues either, but I know one of them was the Nuart.

The insane thing about this movie is that I (all of us, actually, in those days) took it for granted, as far as having access to theatrical showings of it. It never had a really wide release, but it was available, even if in a somewhat trimmed form. It wasn't until a few decades later that one day I realized I hadn't seen or heard of it in all that time, and that it had basically been withheld from circulation. There was only a bootleg DVD available from the UK (a TV capture) which I happily snatched up. Finally, several years after that, BFI was permitted to issue it in a proper DVD release (but not on Blu-ray!), and of course I have that. I also saw it theatrically at Lincoln Center around 2010 when they hosted a Ken Russell festival, which was attended by both Russell and its star Vanessa Redgrave -- truly an unforgettable evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - six hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »

Already showered and all ready to go.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2021, 08:46:15 AM »

I've been working on my A&T material while I listened to John McGlinn's Kiss Me, Kate, which is one of my favorite recordings. Even the cut numbers are fantastic. Is there any song sadder than "We Shall Never Be Younger?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »

I love that recording.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2021, 08:48:26 AM »

Amd then the bad news. The second half of 2021 property taxes are due by July 24, so I need to pull $840 out of my ass by then. I'm ready to say, let the damned bank take the land and get it out of my hair. WTF?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:50:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2021, 08:50:25 AM »

One of my favorites of all is Ken Russell's The Devils. I saw it in its first run in Hollywood, and for some reason, I want to say it was at the Vogue. I have to look that up on a future trip down the rabbit hole. But I then saw it another couple of times over the next few years. I'm not sure about those venues either, but I know one of them was the Nuart.

The insane thing about this movie is that I (all of us, actually, in those days) took it for granted, as far as having access to theatrical showings of it. It never had a really wide release, but it was available, even if in a somewhat trimmed form. It wasn't until a few decades later that one day I realized I hadn't seen or heard of it in all that time, and that it had basically been withheld from circulation. There was only a bootleg DVD available from the UK (a TV capture) which I happily snatched up. Finally, several years after that, BFI was permitted to issue it in a proper DVD release (but not on Blu-ray!), and of course I have that. I also saw it theatrically at Lincoln Center around 2010 when they hosted a Ken Russell festival, which was attended by both Russell and its star Vanessa Redgrave -- truly an unforgettable evening.

I love this film. I wish Warner Brothers would release the complete film.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2021, 08:58:39 AM »

Like a complete idiot I failed to ask Redgrave to sign it, but this is Mr. Russell's mark.

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »

I love this film. I wish Warner Brothers would release the complete film.

You and many, many others!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2021, 09:02:03 AM »

When do you hit the road, DR John G.?

I leave Monday morning. I have a lot to do before then. So, of course, I'm going out tonight.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »

Like a complete idiot I failed to ask Redgrave to sign it, but this is Mr. Russell's mark.

Nice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »

I'll probably be thinking of other favorite controversial subjects all day.

Something else that just came to mind are the famous "Censored 11" cartoons, or whatever the number was. I have them in probably their most presentable versions on someone's home-grown DVD. Haven't watched those in years.

John G.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2021, 09:05:06 AM »

I've been working on my A&T material while I listened to John McGlinn's Kiss Me, Kate, which is one of my favorite recordings. Even the cut numbers are fantastic. Is there any song sadder than "We Shall Never Be Younger?"

Father Time goes gaily tripping along ...
We shall never be younger
Soon the springs will tire of singing their song

It doesn't necessarily belong in Kiss Me, Kate. But it should never have been a "trunk" song.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2021, 09:07:14 AM »

I love the controversial stuff. I was at The Last Temptation of Christ probably a week or so into its run at the Plitt Century City, and I well remember the lines around the building. I thought the film was lovely, and I have the Criterion release here but I have completely failed to watch it. So I've only seen that the one time. That will be rectified soon.

I gave Salo its one obligatory viewing on the Criterion laserdisc back in the day, and even though that pretty well put me off ever seeing it again, I did go ahead and buy the Blu-ray... so go figure.

I found Last Temptation a rewarding experience on DVD. But I will never buy Salo. I'd like to forget some of those images, especially the deranged can-can at the end.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2021, 09:07:18 AM »

I love the films of John Waters, even if there are moments in the earlier ones that require a strong stomach. But I spent a few happy evenings seeing those at the Nuart back in the day.

John G.

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »

The house across the street is getting a new roof. And they are working hard and fast before the day's rain begins.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2021, 09:08:13 AM »

The banging and hammering, however, are not rhythmic.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »

I love the films of John Waters, even if there are moments in the earlier ones that require a strong stomach. But I spent a few happy evenings seeing those at the Nuart back in the day.

I was quite disgusted at Pink Flamingos and Multiple Maniacs. But I love Female Trouble (how un-PC the line is, "Yes, you are retarded, young lady! Now get back in your attic!" And how Tennessee Williams.)
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »

When do you hit the road, DR John G.?

I leave Monday morning. I have a lot to do before then. So, of course, I'm going out tonight.

LOL

SAFE AND EASY TRAVELS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »

Father Time goes gaily tripping along ...
We shall never be younger
Soon the springs will tire of singing their song

It doesn't necessarily belong in Kiss Me, Kate. But it should never have been a "trunk" song.

Patricia Morrison claimed it was cut because every time it was sung everyone in the rehearsal wept.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »

There used to be a revival house at West 95th and Broadway. Every time they showed a Pasolini or John Waters movie in the 1980s, I would call in sick at the Drama Book Shop, sleep late, and go to the movies.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »

I was quite disgusted at Pink Flamingos and Multiple Maniacs. But I love Female Trouble (how un-PC the line is, "Yes, you are retarded, young lady! Now get back in your attic!" And how Tennessee Williams.)

I loved all the Waters movies. Who wants to die for their art?

The film I never want to see again is Caligula.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »

Was Valley of the Dolls controversial in its day?
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2021, 11:09:06 AM »

DR vixmom, there is no answering machine in your assemblyman's office or is he not returning your phone calls? He must have an address. Drive to his office and firebomb it.

Line was busy signal all day on Friday
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »

Learned a new phrase this morning: geriatric millennia. Refers to those born in the early 1980s. They’re so old.

:D

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2021, 11:11:50 AM »

DR Vixmom is there a photo of you and Andy? 

I don’t remember.  I know I had a picture of him at one time I have no idea if I still have it in a box somewhere

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2021, 11:12:14 AM »

To the mother of DR Vixmon,

Thank you

John G.

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »

Happy birthday to Vixmom's mom.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »

Read a Georges Simenon novel earlier this week called A Man's Head. Turns out I have a film version from 1933 in a Criterion Eclipse collection. The film has the French title, La Tete d'un Homme, and it's fun. Not terribly faithful, but fun. And the actor playing Maigret is wonderful. His name is Henry Baur, and he played Jean Valjean in the film of Les Miserables I watched recently.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »

Let's move on ...
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up