Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31503 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FINE WHINES
« on: November 08, 2003, 12:25:32 AM »

I shall whine even further if you haven't read the whiny notes.  I am very interested to see your choices, dear readers, and I'll be reading them from the work environment.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 12:16:40 AM by bk »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 12:32:55 AM »

I am up much later than I should be.  I had an out of body experience this evening, Dear Readers.  I visited a watering hole in the city of West Hollywood, and had an out of body experience.  It was as if I were in a movie, only I was watching it, and being in it, all at the same time.  I hope I recover.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 12:38:57 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 12:36:02 AM »

I shall accept being first post today--my first time to make the first post under the new format--as a sign.  A sign from what or whom, I am not sure, but I shall accept it, nonetheless, as a sign.

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), I adore the word "nonetheless."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 12:37:22 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 01:18:16 AM »

No fair, Jay.  You bring up an out-of-body experience and then don't elaborate?  Nonetheless, I'm fascinated, and as soon as you are sure you've recovered, do fill us in.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:45:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 01:20:43 AM »

Favorite films by:

Polanski -- Tess/Rosemary's Baby
Hitchcock -- Vertigo/North By Northwest
Chaplin -- The Great Dictator
von Sternberg -- I've never seen a von Sternberg film that I know of.
Sturges -- Sullivan's Travels
Keaton -- I've not knowingly seen a film he's directed.
Capra -- It's A Wonderful Life

<Modified to add Capra, to mollify my conscience on waffling on a couple of titles, and to remove my faulty reference to von Stroheim)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 08:15:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 01:26:59 AM »

I totally forgot to post to this here forum that I watched "Finding Nemo" on Thursday evening and it was fabulous.  My favorite sequence was with the turtles in the EAC!  But the film is a masterpiece, I tell you, a masterpiece!  The only FLAW with the DVD presentation is that the film was recorded in DTS but they chose to hold it back from the DVD release...and it would have made ALL the difference between this being merely a great DVD release and being the DEFINITIVE DVD release...which is yet to come, damn them, damn them all, damn them all to BK's hell!

Ellen DeGeneres' Dorie was wonderful and amazing and enchanting.  It is both a classic animated characterization and classic DeGeneres all in one performance.  Brooks was amazing, too, I thought.  I don't generally care for Albert Brooks' characters, although I recognize and admire his intelligence and creativity.  There is always a "flop sweat" edge to him that was beautifully captured in "Broadcast News", but which seems to be present in all his performancees (for me).  But here, as Marlin, he was terrific.

WOW!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:06:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 01:31:29 AM »

My movie, çe soir, was going to be the DTS DVD of "Dune" (TV mini-series).  But my Artisan DVD threw a big surprise at me.  It held two "Disc Twos" and one "Disc Three"  -- not a "Disc One" in sight.  Damn them, damn them all, damn them all to BK's hell!

So, I opened my unwatched DVD for "The Color Purple" and was determined to watch just a little bit of it.  Well that didn't work.  I cannot watch just part of this film.  It's one of the most extraordinary films I've ever seen and I never tire of it (although I tire dreadfully of Miss Millie and the cracker sheriff, yes, indeedy, I do -- I'm so tired of idiotic white folks being correctly stereotyped in this kind of film!  ;D)

At any rate, this lyrical masterwork moved me again and again and I still have a lump in my throat some 30 minutes after the film ended.  How it didn't win a passel of Oscars, including Best Actress and Supporting Actress, is one of the horror stories to be told about the Academy Awards.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:34:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 01:33:07 AM »

Now BK made a mention in one of his posts yesterday that no one is really ever alone on this here site, but I'm here to tell you that I am the only person CURRENTLY online and browsing this here site right here and now, just as I was for a brief spell last evening until Donna dropped in.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 01:43:08 AM »

I notice we had a big Friday with some relatively generous postings from Down Under and France, Europe!

Tom from Oz and François l'incorrigible made a huge impact here Friday evening and kept the numbers going up, up, up (which, by the way, is the title of my one song for a musical version of "King Kong" -- of which the less said the better).

I had another great chat with MattH via telephone yesterday.  He's one of the few people I've communicated with who has heard of Jim Whaley, Atlanta-based film critic/commentator who had a syndicated PBS show called "Cinema Showcase."  Jim was my best friend for 35 years.  He died of a massive coronary in August 1992.  Happily, talking with Matt on the phone is quite a bit like talking with Jim...time flies and we still don't discuss everything we'd like to.  

« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:48:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 01:45:03 AM »

Lord have mercy, I can see the eyes rolling into the backs of some heads right now as folks keep scrolling down and seeing all these consecutive posts from me.

Well, it serves you right for being in bed (if that's where you are) and not online after BK has posted his new column!

Plus, I have only a little ways to go before I get my fourth star and that is truly my goal before I go to bed.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 01:52:50 AM »

I have a dilemma.  Well, it's not a "true" dilemma.  It's one of them catch 22's that you read so much about.

I've wanted a window card for "Wicked" since seeing the show.  Window cards are those 14 X 22-inch posters you see "in windows", dontchaknow.

Surprise!  Surprise!  The official "Wicked" website has a store, and in this store, they're selling window cards for $15.95.  

Hurrah!  I thought!  Eureka! I exclaimed.  Whoopee, I exulted.

And then I tried to order one, but got cut off at the fershluganah pass because they don't take American Express and I don't have MasterCard or Visa.

Don't you hate that?  Anyway, I'm going to get a mailing address and send them a stinkin' money order for it.  

But damn them, damn them all, damn them all to BK's hell!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:53:54 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 01:56:02 AM »

Okay, I know you're all getting sick of this.  And perhaps someone -- oh, I can think of someone who'd do it -- might recommend making it impossible for anyone to post more than three consecutive posts just so you don't get so sick of seeing "another" post from me (or someone else) following the last over and over.

But only two more.

I promise.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 01:57:27 AM »

I've been on this board for 33 minutes and am still the only browser here.

But that's okay...'cause this is my 250th post.

One more to go!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 01:58:44 AM »

Shazaam!  This should be the one!

But whether it gives me the extra star or not, I'm holding to my promise.

I'm going to bed...and won't post until more cows have posted.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:59:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 04:32:16 AM »

DR Ron - hope you get your window card!  Yes a money order is a pain, but at least you didn't have to fight someone on EBAY for it.

DR Kerry - you can change your quote on using the Edit Profile function.  It is on that page.

DR Jay - an out of body experience?  Oh my.  And a bar in West Hollywood is probably NOT a good place to be when that happens.

Last night on the Sundance Channel I saw a movie called Cry Laugh Happy (or sumpin like dat) and who was in it but Mr Tif Luckenbill.  I worked with Tif some years ago - stage managed a play he was in.  What a nice guy, and a good actor.  I wish I could remember the name of the play - it will come to me.  First act was in a restaurant - Second Act in a house at the beach.  Anyway, watch out for Tif!  He is going places!
Unfortunately this was one of those improvised movies that was like being stuck at a horrible party with the most boring and irritating people in the world - and if you think that was the point of the movie, NOPE - it should have been at least INTERESTING!

I am going to try to find a new Icon in honor of my SR Member status.

And today is Dame Edna day!!!  :o

What a lot of talented and innovative directors Mr BK has chosen.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.  And my choices for some of them change from viewing to viewing...but:

Chaplin: Limelight   ;D
Polanski: Dance of the Vampires (film)
Hitchcock: so many, but North by Northwest
Sturges: Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Keaton: Seven Chances (I think he directed himself in it, I hope that is the name of it, he advertises for a wife and ends up with several hundred women chasing him through town)
Von Stroheim: I have only seen one Foolish Wives

Stop whining!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2003, 04:36:19 AM »

Charles Chaplin  So many choices, but if I had to chose one it would have to be City Lights especially for the final shot of the film. Brilliant! One picture is worth a thousand words in this silent film. But then again there is Modern Times, The Great Dictator, The Gold Rush, The Circus and his shorts like The Kid, The Immigrant, The Tramp etc etc etc

Buster Keaton Unfortunatly i have not seen a lot of his films over the years because he really was a genius. I would have to chose: The General I do remember a short he made in Canada onr his last film he ever made in which he was the star called The Railroader made by The National Film Board of Canada in which he travels from one end of Canada to other on a small train cart and his adventures within. Very funny and memorable if you have the opportunity to see it.

Alfred Hitchock: Over the years I discovered that I have watched less and less of his films. The reason I find is the "artificiality" of his films. Hitchcock like to work within the studio most of the time as opposed to shoot on location. The obvious us of rear projection and studio sets have become more evident to me. Even in It Takes a Thief which was shot partly in Monaco the use of rear projection in many of the outdoor scenes is too much of a distraction. That said, I would have to say that I enjoy The Birds the most and as an experiment in filmmaking I would have to say Rope

Frank Capra I always have a soft place in my heart for Lost HorizonThere are so many other fine films as well I would have to chose one more it would be Arsenic and Old Lace.

Josef von Sternberg I know he directed The Blue Angel, but I have never been able to watch the movie as the prints I have seen of it are awful and it really is a primative early sound film. But looking at his film list I believe the only other film I have ever seen was Shanghai Express. I saw a documentary called The Epic That Never Was which was about his film I, Claudius with Charles Laughton that was abandoned/Never completed film. Watch was seen was interesting, but perhaps so for Charles Laughton's performance.

Preston Sturges So many great films as a director and as a writer. So I will try to pick a favorite from each. As a director I would have to say The Miracle of Morgan's Creek and Hail the Conquering Hero

Roman Polanski The only one still making movies.  Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, Fearless Vampire Killers or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck, Macbeth (Not for Shakespeare purest) and I know he was in it but not sure if he directed it a French television production of Waiting For Godot (one of the greatest plays of the 20th century)

Francois can you check on this for us?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 08:02:59 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2003, 04:36:54 AM »

DR Kerry, the Edit Profile function is not working currently. You can view another person's profile but you can't edit your own. It has to do with the move to the new server. I think it's been posted on the tech board and they are working on it.

I'm off to do the laundry. I will return and post about the noted director's films.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2003, 04:40:07 AM »

Here is your lovely Allison Hayes Picture of the Day.

Those Lips, Those Eyes!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2003, 04:41:05 AM »

Thanks Ben!  Didn't realize that!

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2003, 05:21:56 AM »

DR Emily mentioned last night that we had snow accumulation. You did? I didn't!  It was just sprinkling here. And of course nothing stayed on the ground.  My grass is WAY too full of leaves for snow. :)

DR RonP: Hmmmm, I can relate to your obsessive "Senior Member" hunt. I hope for your sake there is something more than the four stars :)

For BK or Craig or Mark or any DRs: Is the "new" button working for you? Ever since we switched over, it has taken me (probably 3 times) to the last page, and not the page I was at.  

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2003, 05:27:01 AM »

165 is oh so far from 250! :)

Oh it is way too early to be up on a Saturday.  But I want to watch last night's tape of Sex & The City or Miss Match. Then I will head out shopping, and to craft fairs.

DRs Emily and Andrea: have you ever been to a craft fair? I am totally addicted.  This weekend is the start of them (there is a great one at the Holiday Inn). There will be some every weekend for the next month! Woohoo.

Btw, do all cities have these crazy craft fairs in November? Or is Montreal particularly craft crazy?

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2003, 05:29:19 AM »

One more thing before I go.  I do think the board loads faster since the change. However, it could also be because there have not been as many pictures posted. Not sure.

And THANK YOU to Mark or Craig or BK or whoever put the date in the news column.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2003, 05:36:54 AM »

175 is far from 250 also. We need to emulate our brethren, Mr. JRand and Mr. Pulliam and post, post, post. Alas, we are all so addicted to self-gratification (not THAT kind you dirty-minded people  ;)) climbing the ladder to Senior Member after working so hard to become a Junior or Full Member. What happens when we reach Senior Member. We get a star, but do we get stock options, maybe? Although in this time and space continuum, stock options may not be the best reward.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2003, 05:37:38 AM »

DR Ron, no problem at all with consecutive posts when they're as literate and funny and interesting as yours were. Keep them coming!   ::)

Oh, those great filmmakers. I wish I had time to elaborate as dear DR MDS did about each one of them because I do think all of them are geniuses.

Roman Polanski -- CHINATOWN

Alfred Hitchcock -- REAR WINDOW (but PSYCHO and THE BIRDS are VERY close behind)

Charles Chaplin -- CITY LIGHTS (I think it's the greatest movie ever made. Critic James Agee thought so as well.)

Eric von Sternberg -- BLONDE VENUS (inspired to have Marlene Dietrich coming out of a gorilla suit in the number "Hot Voodoo." A close second would be THE SCARLET EMPRESS.)

Preston Sturges -- UNFAITHFULLY YOURS

Buster Keaton -- SHERLOCK, JR. (but so many masterpieces to choose from)

OK, gang, I'm sorry to leave you and be E&T for the rest of the day. If I get a chance, I'll check back in on my friend's computer this afternoon, but time may not permit. I'll be back Sunday afternoon in time for celebration, I trust.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2003, 05:38:22 AM »

My laundry will be dry around 9:45am so I will head back to fold and fluff.

It is absolutely fall in NYC. The weather all weekend will be in the 40 degree range. Break out the gloves and earmuffs. It will be a good way to prepare for December in England.

Ben

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2003, 05:46:10 AM »

I don't know enough of von Sternberg to comment, but of the directors mentioned that I know here are my choices. Most of them have already been mentioned but it can't hurt to mention them again.

Polanski-Chinatown

Capra-Lost Horizon

Hitchcock-Rear Window or perhaps North by Northwest

Sturges-Miracle of Morgan's Creek

Chaplin-Limelight and I do love The Great Dictator also.

Ben

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2003, 05:54:49 AM »

Jennifer, in NYC we have Street Fairs in the summer. They started out as enjoyable summer distractions but now, 20 years later they have become traffic clogging silliness. They grew to such proportions in the late 80s that the city passed laws saying you can't have a street fair unless the proceeds benefit a nonprofit organization (because it seemed like there was a street fair on some street every summer Saturday or Sunday). Well, it didn't cut down on the number of street fairs, the promoters just went out and found nonprofits willing to put their name on a banner so the promoter could legally have a street fair. You rarely find anything of interest at these things. It's the same bad ethnic food, cheap socks, cheap bedding (sheets, pillows, comforters, etc.) loud house mix CDs, etc., etc., etc., (a King and I reference). They have lost their allure for me. They rarely have any kind of "craft" booth or much art other than kitschy things. Sorry, this is turning into a minor rant about street fairs in NYC. Didn't mean it to go that far. Suffice it to say, there are very few craft fairs on the streets of New York. There are Art Fairs in various armory buildings and the Greenwich Village Art Fair down near Washington Square Park and NYU in the spring and fall. Enough, enough he says. Go away and let someone else post.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2003, 05:55:17 AM »

Oops (spoo spelling backwards), I left off Frank Capra - IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2003, 05:55:45 AM »

I just realized I was contributing to the theme of the notes today, Whining. I don't feel so bad after all.

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2003, 06:00:09 AM »

Thank you guys for your help--- or your attempted help.

I'll be back later to answer the question of the day.

But for MDS, Hitchcock used rear projections purposely and even when on location made the location seem artificial.  I had read he did this to give you a sense of unease at all times-- as if something is not quite right (which, in turn, adds to the suspense).  It always worked for me.  Who am I, Kevin Brownlow, all of a sudden?

Ben, are you all folded and fluffy now?

Jay, you cannot let a comment like having an out of body experience just go like that.  Details, man, I want details!
I like boat races.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up