Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEDISH FISH  (Read 20960 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SWEDISH FISH
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2005, 11:33:22 PM »

Hmmm.... Site seems a bit slow to load right now... Or is it the internet connection here acting up again... Or is all this talk of deep-fried, chocolate-coated goodness?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2005, 11:34:12 PM »

Probably a bit of each. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2005, 11:36:54 PM »

Ebert and Roeper both really like "Cinderella Man" and Russell Crow's performance.  It's based on a true story.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2005, 11:41:18 PM »

Let's all do the FRIED PICKLE DANCE!!!!

-For those of you who prefer "chips":

-And for those of you who prefer wedges"

See!  They're dancing!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2005, 11:42:12 PM »

And now for something completely different...

The Second Page Two Dance:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:44:24 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2005, 11:43:21 PM »

And, surprisingly, I rarely ever have to take Pepto-Bismol, Tums, Pepcid, etc.  In fact, the only times when my stomach gets upset is when I'm taking some medication that doesn't sit too well with me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2005, 11:44:00 PM »

OK...  I believe my work here is done.

For now.

Goodnight.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2005, 11:47:09 PM »

Goodnight.  I'm going to go to sleep, too.  Until the morning. 8) (this is me sleeping)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 12:22:45 AM »

I ran the marathon in 5 hours, 27 minutes, 47 seconds. I'll catch up tomorrow and tell you more then (including a food highlight for Jose). Please excuse me while I go collapse from exhaustion.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 01:29:59 AM »

My Evelyn (is about to be at its best in my tiny garden) and my fingernail.

Jed

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 03:03:19 AM »

I don't believe I've ever heard of fried pickles.  Sounds intriguing.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Michael

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2005, 03:13:47 AM »

What list from DR Jose!!!

On the rare occasion I pig put on snack food I like the chocolate covered oreos and a side of milk to go with it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2005, 03:14:55 AM »

What is the new ending of Pippin that composer Schwartz likes?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2005, 03:25:55 AM »

Ah, FECUNDITY!

-Ah, reminds me of that marriage vows from Maltby & Shire's Closer Than Ever that uses the word "fecund".   I think it was the first - and only - time I've heard that word used in a song.
So, you're saying the song "Another Wedding Song" is a fecund ditty?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2005, 03:35:01 AM »

OH!!!

How could I forget...

Fried Pickles!!!

I prefer wedges/spears as opposed to slices/chips.  Some places do a cornmeal type breading - sort of like fried chicken - other places use a batter coating.  I like 'em either way.  And with ranch dressing on the side for dipping!
You mean, like this?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2005, 03:42:23 AM »

Welcome Back, DR Hisaka!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2005, 03:48:34 AM »

I'm too much of a savory person for all this chocolate (although the Dark Chocolate M&Ms are tasty).

I'm more likely to heat up my pot of oil and deep fry something.  A couple of days ago, I did that with tater tots, for myself and der B.  Served 'em with a couple of dipping sauces, wasabi and chipotle, and they vanished lickety split.

Then, yesterday, I cut some corn tortillas and made fresh chips, with a little sprinkling of salt.  Doesn't work with flour tortillas, but I've had some luck finding the corn tortillas lately.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 04:04:33 AM »

And yes, DR Rodzinsky, venison.  Der B's son-in-law likes to murder deer every fall, but feels guilty if the carcass isn't used.  Net result, we get venison in our freezer.

I ended up making stroganoff, using ground venison.

Start out by cooking up (in a wide skillet) some bacon that's been cut into 1/2 inch strips.  Add to the pan a couple of thinly sliced onions and some minced garlic, and stir every few minutes while the onions soften.  Mushrooms, thickly sliced, maybe a half pound, get added next, along with salt, pepper and a few red pepper flakes, and cook until the mushers lose some of their liquid.  Then add a pound of ground venison.

All right, you could do this with ground beef, but I like the flavor of venison better, and the bacon makes up for the leanness of the deer meat, along with adding flavors of it's own.

Cook until the venison has browned, stirring and breaking it into smaller chunks.  Then add a couple of tablespoons of flour, and cook for another couple of minutes.  Add a can of beef broth (yep, three different meat flavors going on here), stir, and simmer over low heat while you get the noodles going.

Seperate pan, boil some water and cook up some wide egg noodles.  Drain the noodles, add some butter into the pan along with some poppy seeds (optional).

Back to the stroganoff.  Stir into the mixture some chopped parsley (works better than dill, I think) and finally, off the heat, just enough sour cream to make it all creamy.  Put some of the noodles into a deep soup bowl, ladle the stroganoff over the noodles, and enjoy!

Ben

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2005, 05:07:15 AM »

Welcome back, Hisaka. So nice to see you and your beautiful roses again.

I forgot that when BK is on the east coast we have lots of notes. 47 by 8am!

Back later.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2005, 05:11:11 AM »

Benifer!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2005, 05:49:13 AM »

I'm a'sittin' here
A'wishin'
I had Pippin
In my iPod.

Every so often, I'll give into my sweet tooth and buy myself a bag of Swedish Fish.  I'm also fond of Red Hot Dollars (which aren't hot), gummy bears,  or malted balls.  But I don't think there's anything odd or weird about any of them.

At Easter time, I like marshmallow Peeps, but I like them when they are stale after sitting out of their packaging in the Easter basket for a few days.

Speaking of marshmallows, I happened to catch a segment of an old Marth Stewart show yesterday in which she made a bizarre variation of Rice Krispie marshmallow treats.  Along with starting out with a marshmallow base that included something like a pound of melted butter, she used six cups each of Rice Krispies, Cap'N'Crunch and Fruit Loops.  She then managed to jam this massive amount of mixture into a 9" x 9" x 2" pan, which, once set, was sliced into these huge 3" x 3" squares.  I couldn't imagine taking more than a few bites of these things before getting sick of them.  They are the fruitcake of marshmallow treats.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2005, 06:40:21 AM »

Good morning, all!  DRHisaka, welcome back.  I hope everything is going for you.

DRJoey, the marathon news is great.  I'm sure you're very pleased.  How did  your fundraising turn out?

I slept late; after DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, I turned to Showtime and watched the 2-hr QUEER AS FOLK, episodes 1 & 2, did the hot tub thing, and went to bed.  I canceled my date with Tams-Witmark this morning and slept in; I've got some GOLDEN APPLE work here to do on the violin books, so I can stay busy at home.

I may listen to another Julian Slade musical today, THE DUENNA, based on Sheridan's ballad opera and source for a Prokofieve not-too-comic comic opera; the show which featured Patricia Rotledge in 1954 never had a cast recording, but it did get a complete BBC-radio broadcast and I have excerpts from that.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2005, 06:41:58 AM »

Today is National Taffy Day!

(Appropriate, on a day we're discussing confections!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2005, 06:43:50 AM »

This is also World Turtle Day!

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2005, 06:47:33 AM »

I have never heard of fried pickles either! But they actually sound very good!

The only strange snack that I can think of is fried chicken gizzards...I get a craving for them every now and then.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2005, 06:48:16 AM »

DR Hisaka,
It is wonderful to see you back! I hope things are well with you...and Evelyn is beautiful!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2005, 06:48:23 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I already shaved, so after a shower I shall be on my way to the Irish Rep to visit the After the Ball rehearsal briefly, then on my way to do Kerry Butler's duet.

Lovely strange snack foods.

Hoo and ray, Hisaka is back!

FECUNDITY, baby, FECUNDITY!

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2005, 06:51:41 AM »

Wow, it is so strange to see BK on the board this early in the morning!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2005, 06:53:42 AM »

While you're out and about, dear BK, take some notes on what snacks you see in store windows or on the streets!

Ben

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2005, 07:05:41 AM »

MBarnum, my thoughts too. I saw BK and thought, What's he doing up so early!!! Then I remembered!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up