Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PUSH  (Read 2402 times)

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
Re: THE PUSH
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2021, 09:13:49 PM »

I'm sure none of that is news to any of you. You've probably alll had equally bad service.

Most of the time I have been pleased with T-Mobile.  Bryan likes it.  Craig switched to Verizon when we lived in Ashland because we didn't have a good T-Mobile tower, which wasn't a big deal to us back then as we had two land-line numbers.  Recently he talked about returning to T-Mobile.  I don't know if he has done so.

As for AT&T, again in Ashland, over my warnings and protests Keith switched his cell phone to them while I refused to do so.  As soon as he could he switched to T-Mobile, at which time I switched from our local carrier to T-Mobile. 

I've had T-mobile a little over a year as a separate business line and I've been  liking  it much more than Verizon wireless.
I find customer service in Verizon wireless just really bad, but that may be that I have a grandfathered contract which they may want me to stop having.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2021, 09:17:19 PM »

I'm sure none of that is news to any of you. You've probably alll had equally bad service.

Better service vibes.  These experiences sound awful.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2021, 09:22:07 PM »

~~~Phone-Service-Be-Better Vibes for Jeanne!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2021, 09:22:20 PM »

Hi, Fred.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2021, 09:23:50 PM »

I am currently reading the recently published "Cloud Cuckoo Land" by Anthony Doerr.  Has anyone read it?

I downloaded it, and I also got the Advanced Reader's Copy.  I don't know when I'll get to it, though.

How do you get an advanced copy?  I would think you would need to read the book early and review it.

Our library selectors regularly get advanced reader's copies from publishers...with no obligation to do anything with them. 

George

« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2021, 09:24:48 PM »

The selectors rarely, if ever, read pre-pub books themselves when they're deciding on whether to purchase or not.  They read literary reviews (Kirkus, Publisher's Weekly, Library Journal, etc.) because those are much, Much, MUCH (that's three MUCHES) shorter than reading the entire book just to make a purchasing decision. 

George

« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2021, 09:25:24 PM »

Anyway, these A.R.C.s are put on a cart in our lobby for anyone to take, read, keep, give away, or whatever.  They can't be added to our catalog as circulating copies, and they can't legally be sold at all, so they're just given away. 

George

« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »

It's pretty cool to see a book that's not going to be published for several months, and be able to read it before pretty much anyone else, :)

George

« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2021, 09:25:50 PM »

I ate a couple of leftover donuts (microwaved for 7 or 8 seconds) earlier this morning, and now I'm feeling the need for a wee bit more indulgence in the form of, say, a Sausage & Egg McMuffin. I don't think I've had one of those in a year and a half.

I'm hoping when the McRib comes back, it's not a letdown.  There was a version of the McRib that was really great, but it was temporary. 

My sister used to love these.  She doesn't eat land animals anymore, but she does still miss them.

I think it was Jimmy Fallon who said Macdonald's was asked "What do you intend to do about the McRib if there's a pork shortage as in this other news story?"  And the McSpokesman said "Those two stories are completely unrelated." :)

:))

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2021, 09:36:11 PM »

Get out your handkerchiefs. Supernova is in the same league as Still Alice and Away from Her. I found the chemistry between Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci compelling. The story is heartbreaking.

And it ends with a moving performance of Elgar's Salut d'Amour by Firth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVJ4gTFCh4
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2021, 09:36:23 PM »

Good night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2021, 10:23:08 PM »

As one goes through these Rubbra symphonies they get better and better - there are eleven. They haven't received many recordings, I must say. There's a complete cycle on Chandos with Richard Hickox conducting that's good. I prefer the symphonies on Lyrita, performance and sound-wise, but they only did four or five of 'em. I don't have a stereo recording of the fifth so I may have to seek out that single Chandos disc. I do have a wonderful mono recording of it with Barbirolli conducting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2021, 10:24:44 PM »

Rubbra is a bit more like Walton than Vaughan Williams or he's more like the Vaughan Williams of the sixth and eighth symphony. But several of these symphonies are really beautiful, especially four, six, seven, and eight.

George

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2021, 11:34:12 PM »

Today at my mom's, we played two games of Phase 10.

George

« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2021, 11:34:26 PM »

Lost both...again. ::)

George

« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2021, 11:34:49 PM »

No big deal.

George

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2021, 11:35:16 PM »

There's always next week.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2021, 11:42:41 PM »

A bunch of us are meeting at the country cemetery again this evening. It's been a somewhat hectic day and I'm looking forward to relaxing over a drink there.

What better place to have spirits, than in a cemetery?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2021, 11:47:17 PM »

I am currently reading the recently published "Cloud Cuckoo Land" by Anthony Doerr.  Has anyone read it?

I downloaded it, and I also got the Advanced Reader's Copy.  I don't know when I'll get to it, though.

Why download it if you also got an Advanced Reader’s Copy?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2021, 11:48:56 PM »

Wow!  Over168 posts!  It’s just like Christmas Day!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2021, 11:50:28 PM »

And this

Hey, it’s the old man at the sea.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2021, 11:51:45 PM »

Why download it if you also got an Advanced Reader’s Copy?

Because why not have both?  The download is the officially published version, but the Advanced Reader's Copy might not be exactly the same, so I got the ARC, and when it was officially released, I got the download through my library's OverDrive, so it didn't cost me anything, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up