Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A BLACK FROCK COAT PLAYING A TUBA  (Read 20742 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:A BLACK FROCK COAT PLAYING A TUBA
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2005, 08:07:53 PM »

So, Rodzinski, you who know such musical obscurties as Larry Clinton and Bea Wain, surely you have some latent musical impulse. Was it ever harnessed into lessons of some sort of some musical discipline.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2005, 08:21:55 PM »

I took piano lessons only briefly. Then in 6th grade, started playing the cornet and later moved to the baritone. Haven't played those in years, though I finally got my horn from my mom's place.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2005, 08:24:37 PM »

By the way Jane, did you ever watch those LAWMAN episodes? If so did Peter Brown make you as weak in the knees as when you were a young(er) girl?

I only found one episode.  He was cute, but only Keith still makes me go weak in the knees :)

Michael

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2005, 08:25:42 PM »

Back from Montreal with pictures. Will catch up tomorrow on all the notes and wonderful posts. Until then.....
Never stop dreaming.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2005, 08:30:16 PM »

I don't know if it qualifies as a talent or a skill, but I have this thing where if I hear a song one good time--that is, I am paying attention to it--I will remember the melody. For instance, I could right now sing/hum a medley of every song that topped the charts from the years 1955-1988. I wouldn't know every lyric, but a good percentage. My memory of songs is just insane.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2005, 08:36:29 PM »

Vermont was nice. It earns its state nickname well (The Green Mountain State). Spent some time near Dartmouth in New Hampshire (The I-Don't-Know-What State). Helped my buddy move into his Buddhist Teaching Center, drove around, went to Yankee Candle Co, saw the STAR WARS movie, which I didn't really want to see, drove rental truck back into city, caught up on posts!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2005, 08:39:14 PM »

October weather, Danise. It has been generally pleasant. The potential for cold does exist though, but not too bad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2005, 08:55:25 PM »

Just took a nice drive to Amoeba to trade in some DVDs I don't want anymore.  I got quite a bit of credit, and bought several region 2 Alexander Korda DVDS, including Sanders of the River, Elephant Boy, and The Drum.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »

George you should put the piano someplace where you will play it again.

I wish I could, but there's no room outside of the extra bedroom.  Someday (a West Side Story and "Hunchback of Notre Dame" reference), when I get all of my stuff out of the extra bedroom...and get rid of it all...I'll have the room in the room. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2005, 09:21:18 PM »

WARNING:  STAR WARS DISCUSSION...CONTINUED!!

Star Wars III rant.  

<SNIP>

Rant over.

Of course, Danise, if Obi Wan did get the appropriate medical attention for him, Anakin wouldn't have become Darth Vader and episodes 4-6 wouldn't have happened...it says so in the script! (a "Singin' in the Rain" reference...I think)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2005, 09:22:50 PM »

Well, bathroom is now painted...it is blue...I am not sure if I like it or not, but Heck will freeze over before I paint it again...I HATE painting!

My bathroom is painted blue and I have a blue shower curtain.  I'd say the walls are just a little darker than sky blue and the curtain is a darkish blue, but not quite royal.  I do like it.  You'll probably grow to like it...if not love it. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2005, 09:28:29 PM »

Late night for me because tonight was tech rehearsal and you KNOW how those always go. Slow, torturous, nit-picky. But necessary.

Going to be heading for bed any minute now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2005, 09:31:27 PM »

RE: the STAR WARS climactic moment:

It didn't seem much in the way of an honorable Jedi to leave Annikin there to suffer, but it was a personal vendetta, I guess, and even the best people can make mistakes, use bad judgment, let emotions trump common sense and decency.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2005, 09:32:42 PM »

I'm back from the recital (obviously) and it was quite good.  Only one of the students plans to study performance of any kind but they all sounded very good.  The one guy cracked on the high notes and a few lyrics were forgotten, but overall, it was an enjoyable evening.

Tomorrow at work is our bi-weekly American Cancer Society Relay for Life bake sale.  I'm now going to peel some Hershey's dark chocolate kisses so that I can make some dark chocolate fudge.  I got the Hershey's dark chocolate kisses because I couldn't find any dark chocolate chips and I didn't want to buy a whole bunch of dark chocolate bars.  Wish me luck.  I've never made dark chocolate fudge before.  We'll see if it works. ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 09:33:19 PM by George »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2005, 09:42:42 PM »

I am going to suggest QUILTERS to our Program Committee AGAIN!  I don't know why they are not interested in this show.  We have so many strong women performers, and this show would be great for them.  Oh well.

Sounds like MR BK and Vinnie had a VERY productive day - the results will tell the tale, I am guessing.

Well - I studied my budget and order TWO cd's from Amazon today.  Yes, two of them.

The OBC of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and DORIS DAY The 60's Singles!  I am sure I will enjoy them both from comments I have heard about the former (here on HHW) and because the latter is, of course, MISS DORIS DAY - who can sing like no one else.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2005, 09:44:36 PM »

DR MBARNUM - you have enough shoes for a shoe shelf?  Mine are just thrown on the floor of the closet, and hopefully I can find a left and a right when I need them.

THE GENII LADY was hilarious, just as you said.  It was a cross between Abbott & Costello and The Three Stooges.  I do know that I enjoy Hindi singing much more than Egyptian singing, but that's okay.

Did Mr BK watch BLACK TIGHT KILLERS?

More OLIVER! tomorrow, and the next day and the next....whew!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2005, 09:46:22 PM »

I never did figure out the Trivia Question.  Hopefully there were lots of right answers.

And perhaps when that Sparkling Prize is sent out, the Sparkling Prizes for the Nudie Musical Trivia Contest will also be sent out.  Signed - Mr GreedyGuts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2005, 09:47:07 PM »

DR RODZINSKI - I have to say that I did not see Mr Nabors sing - but that doesn't mean he wasn't here, because I didn't see ANY of the coverage of the race this year.

MBarnum

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2005, 09:55:30 PM »

LOL! Not that many pairs of shoes...I think I have a black pair, a brown pair, and some sneakers, flip flops, and  sandals...I just got tired of them lying all over the place.

Glad you liked Geni Lady...ya, I was none to fond of the singing in that movie (didn't the songs sound like they were recorded in a tin can?!), although the singer himself was a very good actor and was fun to watch in this film...but I wouldn't judge all Egyptian singers by what you heard on that film! LOL!

Some of the popular modern Egyptian singers are great!

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2005, 09:57:46 PM »

I can't recall if BK had said he watched THE BLACK TIGHT KILLERS when we discussed those Japanese movies around these here parts a couple of months ago.

JRand, I will have some more DVD-r goodies for you soon, if you are up to it!

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2005, 09:58:39 PM »

Well , the long weekend is over and I guess I have to go to bed now, dang it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2005, 10:04:59 PM »

Yes, I've had Black Tight Killers since it came out a few years ago - wacky fun.

Jed

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2005, 10:46:45 PM »

Four days before opening night and out of the theater by 10:15... will wonders never cease!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2005, 11:07:10 PM »

Was someone waving a gun DR Jed?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2005, 11:22:20 PM »

The fudge is done!  It now just has to cool overnight and tomorrow it'll sell but good! ;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up