Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE ADAM-12, SEE THE MAN  (Read 8493 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: ONE ADAM-12, SEE THE MAN
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »

it rings!     

That's good!   But is it a little lumpy?
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2021, 09:09:26 AM »

Cool is before the rumble onstage and in the 2021 version it is after the rumble in the 1961 version...Officer Krupke is before the rumble in the 1961 movie but it is after the rumble onstage and in the 2021 version.

Yes, they flip-flopped them for the 1961 film. But what Spielberg did was place them both before the rumble.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »

FOUR!!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Laura

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »

My daughter isn't feeling well today, so Wae-Ling is going to see My Fair Lady with me.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »

it rings!     

That's good!   But is it a little lumpy?

Oh, Dolly, you know you can only say that when you're dressed for dinner with feathers in your hair.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »

I did a week's worth of dishes, which was made worse by trying to get the Springerle molds clean.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2021, 10:00:28 AM »

I see that more than 70 have died in Kentucky after the tornadoes. That's horrible.
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:38 AM »

DR Laura - have fun today, and best wishes of recovery for your daughter!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:55 AM »

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »

DR CHAS SMITH is right.......Officer Krupke is before the Rumble in the 2021 film.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2021, 10:30:23 AM »

Have fun DR LAURA......I hope this version has the Ball scene in it....and doesn't go from Eliza's conversion and exit to the "You Did It" at the start of Act Two.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2021, 10:31:11 AM »

DR CHAS SMITH quoted my incorrect post about OFFICER KRUPKE, but I have corrected it in the original post.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2021, 10:43:06 AM »

Have fun DR LAURA......I hope this version has the Ball scene in it....and doesn't go from Eliza's conversion and exit to the "You Did It" at the start of Act Two.

"The Embassy Waltz," heavily truncated, is still in the show.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:29:05 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Ginny
🎂🎁🥂💐

Thank you, DR Jane!

You are welcome.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2021, 11:49:21 AM »

My daughter isn't feeling well today, so Wae-Ling is going to see My Fair Lady with me.

Lucky Wae-Ling.  I hope Sandra feels better tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »

Back from breakfast and stuff.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2021, 11:58:42 AM »

In the fun on Facebook department - a few days ago this guy posted that there were 120 musicians on the original 1961 West Side Story film and much less than that on the new one, hence the new one was closer to Bernstein's original vision. I immediately went in and said that was not correct at all - that there was no way the original had 120 musicians, and there was equally no way the new one had many less than that. I pointed out that the new one was played by two different symphony orchestras, the NY and LA Philharmonic. Of course, he never admits he was wrong, he just stops posting. Then today, he links to a Variety article that says there were 120 musicians 1961 and mentioned how he was "dressed down" for saying so. He did admit he was wrong about the new one because he had to as the article also stated what I mentioned above.

The article was written by my good friend Jon Burlingame, so I e-mailed him and told him there was no way that number was right. He admitted that he'd already had a firestorm going about it - someone on the creative team said it was 120, aping a very incorrect statement someone else made. Well, after thirty minutes it was verified that I was, in fact, correct - the original had seventy-two musicians, which, by the way, was VERY large for that era. Neither Ben-Hur or any of those Rozsa scores had quite that many players. So, Jon fixed the article and I went back to the guy's post and said he might want to amend his post and then finally admit he was wrong. We shall see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »

I want to live again in the world without Covid and without repercussions from DJT and that the important things we have to disagree about is the order of the songs in WSS and how many musicians played in the scoring of the films......that is the world I want back.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2021, 12:07:09 PM »

Thanks DR ELMORE - as a former Zoltan Karpathy, that is good to know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »

The night I played him with an Elmer Fudd lisp was the night I got the biggest and most enthusiastic response....

"Decowations for wanguage fwom the Qween of Womania....."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2021, 12:09:27 PM »

The cast was also most engaged and Eliza enjoyed is mostly because I was a much better dancer than the other Zoltan Karpathy who had to miss a Saturday night performance.

There was a petition that I continue in the role, but I declined.

ChasSmith

« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »

Good story from BK. I look forward to any follow-up.

I think two things that make the 1961 score sound so uniquely "huge" are the quintupled (or whatever it was) pianos and xylophones, and the incredible recording of it. (You have to choose the 4.0 track on the Blu-ray to get the closest to it.)

Other such theater-to-film adaptations sound similarly huge to me -- I think Oklahoma! and The Music Man are a couple of examples. It's in the scoring and the recording. Hollywood had a "sound" unlike Broadway theater sound.

ChasSmith

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »

Not that you all didn't know that.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »

Thanks for your West Side Story comments, bk, and for the linked article, DR ChasSmith.

ChasSmith

« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »

That reminds me!

I "found" the full score to the West Side Story "Live to Projection" edition for used by symphony orchestras when playing one of those events where the film and dialogue are played to live music. Whatever they're called. You know what I mean. I've never been to one of those, and I find the concept gimmicky as all hell. But I digress.

So I'm browsing through it, and at the point where the current digital copies of the 1961 film have the faulty color change near the end of the Overture, the syncing cue for the conductor reads "Screen color change to GREEN" - followed a few bars later by "Screen color change to BLUE". Talk about perpetuation of a cinematic crime...

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »

If anything, today feels like it's going to be a lull. 

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »

I want to live again in the world without Covid and without repercussions from DJT and that the important things we have to disagree about is the order of the songs in WSS and how many musicians played in the scoring of the films......that is the world I want back.....

A-men!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »

I have another story somewhat similar to BK's.  (We are awash in stories today!)

I posted on a score-sharing site that I was looking for a good PDF of [REDACTED], unlike the couple of copies that had already been posted there. Reason being, those other copies were either (1) incomplete and jumbled, with some songs repeated and others missing entirely, or (2) flawed or corrupted because of a huge file size that was either not displaying well or was all-out crashing PDF readers. So did anyone happen to have one that they've checked over and know to be complete and working?

(In the meantime:  with the help of a couple of techy types who were able to advise, I was able to fix the problem using both of those copies, resulting in a perfect PDF score. But I let my question stand in order to see what anyone else might come up with. Because who knows, someone might even have something nicer than my own now-perfect copy.)

A couple of days later, one person responds, "Here it is!" and gives me a link to it. I download it, open it up, and it's the jumbled/incomplete copy. (Now, what had I said about someone having one that they'd - ahem - checked over first?) So I sent him a polite note back, thanking for the effort, but pointing out that his copy was exactly what I was talking about...and I included a quickly compiled list of errata.

Four days later:  crickets.    :D     Which is precisely what I had rather expected would be the response.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:34:42 PM by ChasSmith »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up