Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAKING VOLUMES  (Read 20166 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:SPEAKING VOLUMES
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2005, 04:45:45 PM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2005, 04:46:17 PM »

Page Six Dance...Swing it, baby!  Swing it!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2005, 04:57:38 PM »

Am I the only person who felt that Bill Haber's acceptance speech last night for Best Musical was meant to be a slap in the face to the American Theatre Wing for not giving SPAMALOT the same kind of sweep that THE PRODUCERS received?

"Let's not thank Eric Idle............... let's not thank John DuPrez.................. let's not thank Casey Nicholaw"  

True, he went on to say "Let's not thank Mike Nichols (who, of course, did win)", but that was only after the band started to play him off.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2005, 05:44:30 PM »

I shall be on my way to a meeting shortly, but it shouldn't be too long a meeting, then I simply must watch a DVD, as I'm getting way too far behind in my viewing.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2005, 05:49:22 PM »

I do believe Bells and West Side were the first stereo Columbia cast album, but there may have been another in there, too - when was Goldilocks?  Just checked - Bells indeed, 1956.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2005, 06:09:14 PM »

Perhaps someone can explain this to me:  Well, probably not because you are all intelligent beings....Does this group think that Ford employees and/or consumers  'choose' their sexual orientation based on  benefit packages ?  

"Gosh, I can't get health care coverage for my live-in boyfriend  so I guess I'm going to become a lesbian."

Geez Louise!!!
Oh, this group is very real.  They even have a website for this campaign.  But word is that they're suspending the boycott until December 1st of this year.  (I'm trying to figure out what the significance is for the restart date, but the only thing I can come up with has to do with Santa and all those elves, with maybe Mrs. Claus as a dominatrix.)

A good satire of the whole campaign has been written, of course.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2005, 06:12:27 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from dinner... We met at the Caryle.  Which used to be the Carlyle Grand.  Which was originally the Carlyle Grand Cafe.  -Each time they remodeled, the name got "smaller".  ;)  -But it will always be the Carlyle Grand Cafe to me.  And I realized tonight that I've probably been eating there for about 20 years!  -Thankfully, they've kept the Flourless Chocolate Waffle - although I do miss the in-house-made Macadamia Brittle Ice Cream.  But I do miss the Chocolate Hurricane Cake, and the Mile High Pie....

Where was I...??  Oh, yes... Food report...

Well, here's what I had, at least

Appetizer - Blue Crab and Corn Fritters - Basically a very creamy crab cake wrapped up in kataifi - shredded phyllo dough - served with a corn relish and remoulade.  Very tasty.

Entree - Their "Steak and Cake" special.  A Filet Mignon with a Crab Cake, served with Grilled Asparagus and Mashed Cauliflower.   -A very Atkins friendly entree in retrospect.  Very good, and the Filet was very tasty and perfectly cooked.

Dessert (of course!) - I let my dining companion have the Flourless Chocolate Waffle, while I tried their new Sticky Almond Toffee Cake - basically their vision of a Sticky Toffee Pudding.  I now have a great alternative to the Flourless Chocolate Cake!  A nice, warm, dense almond cake with toffee baked into it's "crust".  With vanilla ice cream on the side, and a small pitcher of warm caramel sauce to be poured over it all.  Very good, and not sickeningly sweet like these type of desserts tend to be.

*When making the dessert decision, our server said that if I didn't like the Toffee Cake that she would gladly bring me out another Flourless Chocolate Cake.... well... It was very tempting to say that I did not like it... But since my plate was basically licked clean by the time she came back to check on us...

In any case...

A very good dinner, and very good company.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2005, 06:16:51 PM »

DR Ginny, do you have any programs like this at your library? This the link to ours http://www.suffolk.lib.ny.us/youth/bb/index.html
for anyone who is interested.

Its a nice program and the kids get to keep the books and  the library also provides team T shirts and they all get trophies for particpiating.

DR vixmom - your teen program sounds like a lot of fun for the kids.  It's much more labor-intensive than the program our library does:

webster.daytonmetrolibrary.org/teens/content.cfm?id=280

We also have versions of this type of summer reading program for children, adults, and staff.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »

Hey, MBarnum!  I congratulate you on sticking it out through the entire Tony show--theatre neophyte that you are.  Now if I can get my Joe to watch the tape of it tonight.  Begging and pleading might help.  Hugh Jackman might help even more.  We shall see.
Just don't tell Joe that Hugh keeps his shirt on.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »

Oh, this group is very real.  They even have a website for this campaign.  But word is that they're suspending the boycott until December 1st of this year.  (I'm trying to figure out what the significance is for the restart date, but the only thing I can come up with has to do with Santa and all those elves, with maybe Mrs. Claus as a dominatrix.)

Could it be because December 1st is Bette Midler's birthday?? ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2005, 06:30:20 PM »

Bette Midler is Mrs. Claus?

Actually, that explains a LOT of things.   :o

Ben

« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2005, 06:37:48 PM »

I thought Bill Haber's acceptance speech (for Spamalot) was idiotic and it made him look like a buffoon. I am continually amazed by people who should know better. Why did they let him speak anyway. There were other people who could have said something and not come across as a pompous b***hole. But then, he probably thought he was being funny and that was enough for him.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 06:38:43 PM by Ben »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2005, 06:42:28 PM »

WHEW!!

I bought a bag of those new Jolly Rancher Pallettas - I mean Lollipops.  They've been formulated by "Thalia" - whoever she is.  In any case, it's part of their newish "Latin" line of flavors.  The the three flavors of lollipops are Tamarind, Lime and Mango...  with Chile!  Chili!  ???

In any case....

Whew!  They're quite tasty, and the spice is quite kick-y!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2005, 06:52:35 PM »

I thought Bill Haber's acceptance speech (for Spamalot) was idiotic and it made him look like a buffoon. I am continually amazed by people who should know better. Why did they let him speak anyway. There were other people who could have said something and not come across as a pompous b***hole. But then, he probably thought he was being funny and that was enough for him.

Now tell us what you really think, DR Ben?

;)

Actually... when he got cut off, I was annoyed that he got cut off, but I really didn't mind it.

*And I would have thought people would have known better after the Elaine Stritch debacle a few years ago.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2005, 06:55:45 PM »

And speaking of acceptance speeches...

What was the deal with Adriane Lenox?!?!?

She came across as very smug - "Oh, I knew I going to win," to me.

That or she was truly shocked to have won and just babbled up there and said HI to her family in the audience.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2005, 07:24:09 PM »

At least you didn't say it died in recent years.

And the song Razzle Dazzle relates to Cy Coleman how?

It doesn't. He sang it in honor of his close friend (and LAW & ORDER co-star) Jerry Orbach who introduced it and whose picture was also part of the montage of images of those who left us in the last year.

And, of course, Fred Ebb who co-wrote it. Ebb and Coleman did co-produce some of Shirley MacLaine's TV specials in the 1970s and won Emmys for "Gypsy in My Soul."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 07:27:28 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2005, 07:29:59 PM »

Friends who attended the Tonys said YES, it was a body double who took the spill.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2005, 07:35:36 PM »

My brother is coming up tomorrow night to see my home theater set-up and decide if he wants me to assist him in setting one up in his home. In thinking through DVDs I wanted to use to show off sound, I decided on the movie which I think has the best sound design of any of the DVDs I own - LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING. I've chosen the chapter of the Cave of the Dead which is window rattling. Of course, I'll show him some high definition stuff from the Discovery Channel HD or the HBO or Showtime HD channels.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2005, 07:37:11 PM »

Friends who attended the Tonys said YES, it was a body double who took the spill.

I figured it had to be. Producers of a multi-million dollar Broadway musical couldn't risk another injury to their star.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2005, 08:59:36 PM »

Hmm...

So, I was able to snag a deal on a hotel this weekend...

Now onto the tickets...  Which, since it's the week right after the Tonys, are gonna be hard to come by...

Then again, we could always just do a culinary "tour" of the Island of Manhattan.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2005, 09:14:23 PM »

I'll be attending the Hollywood Bowl Sondheim event - box seats, given to me because I provided a chart for one of the songs, to be sung by Emmy Rossum - and the best part is it's elmore's orchestration for Goodbye for Now, and he will be credited in the program.

George

« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2005, 09:18:05 PM »

Cool, BK!!  

Can you take pictures?? ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2005, 09:37:29 PM »

Am I the only person who felt that Bill Haber's acceptance speech last night for Best Musical was meant to be a slap in the face to the American Theatre Wing for not giving SPAMALOT the same kind of sweep that THE PRODUCERS received?

"Let's not thank Eric Idle............... let's not thank John DuPrez.................. let's not thank Casey Nicholaw"  

True, he went on to say "Let's not thank Mike Nichols (who, of course, did win)", but that was only after the band started to play him off.

Nope You Are Not.  That is exactly what I thought he was doing.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2005, 09:38:03 PM »

I'll be attending the Hollywood Bowl Sondheim event - box seats, given to me because I provided a chart for one of the songs, to be sung by Emmy Rossum - and the best part is it's elmore's orchestration for Goodbye for Now, and he will be credited in the program.

Good things happen to good people.  Be sure to pick up some programs off the floor to send to the hinterlands.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2005, 10:24:48 PM »

BK, when is the Sondheim event at the Bowl.  The Lovely Wife and I may have to get tickets for the nose-bleed section and pack a picnic lunch and a couple bottles of wine.

The Hollywood Bowl is still the best bargain in this town of few bargains.  Anywhere you sit in the place is great, whether you can see the folks onstage or not.  Just to sit out under the stars and listen to terrific music, partaking of your own food and libation is great.  I think you can still get tickets for like 3 bucks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2005, 11:27:50 PM »

Not sure of the date - must find out.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2005, 11:45:02 PM »

Not sure of the date - must find out.

Stephen Sondheim's 75th: The Concert
Special Performances-II SPE2-HB

Friday, July 8, 2005, 8:00 PM
Hollywood Bowl
2301 N. Highland Avenue
Hollywood, CA
(323) 850-2000

Artists:

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Paul Gemignani,  conductor
Jason Alexander
Carol Burnett
Len Cariou
Barbara Cook
Jason Danieley
Josh Groban
Angela Lansbury
Marin Mazzie
Audra McDonald
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters
Emmy Rossum
Vanessa Williams
Paul Lazarus, producer/director

Program:

From West Side Story to Follies, from Gypsy to Sweeney Todd, the inimitable Stephen Sondheim has been at the forefront of American musical theater. An all-star guest list including Jason Alexander, Nathan Lane, Angela Lansbury, Bernadette Peters, and others join the Los Angeles Philharmonic and longtime Sondheim collaborator Paul Gemignani to celebrate five decades of work from Broadway’s most prolific, innovative and thought-provoking composer-lyricist. A once-in-a-lifetime birthday concert.

Single Ticket Prices for This Event:

Seating Section - Price

Garden Box - Sold Out
Terrace Box - Sold Out
SuperSeats - Sold Out
Benches D E G2 J2 - Sold Out
Benches F K - $33.00
Benches M N - $21.00
Benches L P - $20.00
Benches Q R S T U - $14.00
Benches W - $7.00
Benches V, X - Sold Out

(Prices subject to change.)

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 11:45:53 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2005, 11:55:35 PM »

Thanks, Jose.  I'll have to go and get some tix tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »

You're welcome, Charles.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up