Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE DONE  (Read 24450 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE DONE
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2005, 10:25:15 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2005, 10:28:52 AM »

My parents' books - Dad was a member of Book-of-the-Month Club and I distinctly remember him reading the novels of Mary Renault and Robert Ruark.  He also came home from work one day with several boxes of books that a coworker had given us from his (the coworker's) late wife's library.  That's where my 4-volume complete works of Shakespeare and my one-volume complete Mark Twain came from.

My mom read (and still reads) many magazines and I have one vivid memory of her cooking with one hand while reading a paperback copy of Steinbeck's Travels with Charley with the other.  She also kept a copy of The Group where she thought I wouldn't be able to find it  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2005, 10:30:39 AM »

I think I finally finished typing for the ATB stuff.  Whew!

Is amazon completely down or what?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2005, 10:34:39 AM »

We also had several Uncle Wiggly books.

I remember several books from my grandparents...One was Etidorhpa a really turn-of-the century really weird fantasy about a man journeying under the earth, full of Mason lore and with wonderful illustrations.  Etidorhpa was Aphrodite spelt backwards of course.  I have never read this book, though I now have it in my collection.  My other granparents had a version of the 11th Edition Enclyclopedia Britainnica (which had articles written by many famous writers and scholars), which I now own and a copy of the play Dinner At Eight with stills from the film, both of which are now in my possession.  I also have an early program from GONE WITH THE WIND (maybe the '39?) which that was in their house when my Grandmother finally passed away and some other early theatre programmes of shows that passed through Cincinnati.

elmore, I too was a big Turok, Son of Stone fan.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2005, 10:39:55 AM »

As I got older, around 5th grade, I remember riding my bike down to the Central Point City Library and checking out bios of Jack Benny and Judy Garland. It was at this time that I began reading about movies and the people who made them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2005, 10:42:17 AM »

Ah, Thank You, DR Stuart.... "Encyclopedia Brown"!!!

And I also remember being disappointed and bit bewildered by the version in the Sunday comics.  A whole "mystery" presented and solved in 6 to 8 panels.  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2005, 10:45:48 AM »

In the mid-1950's, my sister took me to the downtown Detroit J. L. Hudson store to meet Kay Thompson and have her autograph my copy of Eloise.

I read a lot of pre-teen stories about women with careers - a student nurse named Cherry something, a tour guide at the UN (Phyllis Whitney's The Highest Dream), and a novel about a young woman working as a librarian in Chicago.  Can't remember the title of that one, but she was invited to a Halloween party where guests were to dress up as literary characters.  She went as some cat and carried a pocket comb, which she ran her thumb across to make a purring sound.  Why can I remember that detail, but not the title of the book?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »

When I was in fourth grade, we actually had "Library Class".  Besides learning about the Dewey Decimal System, we also learned about the Newberry and Caldecott awards.  There was a time when I would always make sure to find out who the winners and runner-ups were.  Some company would even come out with bookmarks with the listings on them - and I would use them as a shopping list.

Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

I had a Funk & Wagnall's encyclopedia set fro 1974 in my bedroom. I read them rarely, but can still remember a lot of the guide words from the sides of the books:

A-AMERI
FINNI-GANGR
HORTI-ISOTO
RUSSI-SOMAL
TELEP- UNITE
UNITE-WATER

and so forth...

DR Rodzinski - In the first library where I worked professionally, they had a "rule" to put the call number labels exactly one inch from the bottom of the spine.  Often, it covered up these useful guide words, or the "A," Ca-Cz," etc. on the spines of the reference books.  I put a stop to that fixation real fast.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2005, 10:54:23 AM »

I read a lot of pre-teen stories about women with careers - a student nurse named Cherry something

Coke?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »

Hey Ben! How is Anthony doing so far on the road?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »

I read a lot of pre-teen stories about women with careers - a student nurse named Cherry something,

Was it this?  There wsas a whole series from the time she bagan as a student nurse to her being chief nurse... she was an army nurse at some point.... I read these too@!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2005, 10:58:38 AM »

Hey Ben! How is Anthony doing so far on the road?

And how are you doing with Anthony on the road?

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2005, 10:59:34 AM »

And how could I forget A Secret Garden and A Little Princess ?! Read and reread those many times....

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2005, 11:00:18 AM »

Coke?

LOL - not quite, DR Stuart!

DR vixmom found the right answer for me - thank you!  You didn't happen to read the one about the librarian in Chicago, did you?

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2005, 11:00:24 AM »

And Five Children and IT

and the Narnia Series

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2005, 11:04:05 AM »

A query from/for a friend....

Was the video Lincoln Center production "The House of Blue Leaves" ever available for public sale?  I remember it on PBS, Bravo, Ovation, etc...  -Or was it cable originally?  In any case...  I also seem to remember it being in the initial batch of releases from the Broadway Archive series, but I just checked their site, and it's no longer listed - if it was there in the first place.

Anyone?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »

And Five Children and IT

and the Narnia Series

IT - ?!?!?  The Stephen King book?  As a children's book?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2005, 11:09:13 AM »

Here is an interesting tidbit.  AMAZING RACE winner Joyce used to be on Star Trek: Next Generation:

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2005, 11:10:35 AM »

LOL - not quite, DR Stuart!

DR vixmom found the right answer for me - thank you!  You didn't happen to read the one about the librarian in Chicago, did you?

No that doesn't ring a bell

Do you remember one about an evil doll?

It takes place in England in a Manor house on the moors.  It was in two parts, the firsty part being these two teenage sisters before WWII and one of them falls off a cliff and is paralyzed, the other stays to care for her... they raise a girl who is I think the either the orphaned daughter of a third sister, or a much younger third sister... this girl is a wonderful ballerina and runs off to join the ballet

years pass , WWII is over and the orphaned daughter of the ballerina is sent to be raised by these two sisters

The doll is always present when ever something terrible happens (which is does often in this book)

one thing that stood out in my memory (and it has to be 35 years at least since I read this) was the sisters talking about how graceful the ballerina was and how she danced, and the girl saying she  only knew a mother who was crippled and hoppled beause the Nazis had burned the soles of her feet off

Any idea of what this book was called?  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2005, 11:11:04 AM »

Amazon.com seems to be back up and running.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2005, 11:15:52 AM »

IT - ?!?!?  The Stephen King book?  As a children's book?!?!?

No, no silly Jose, "Five Children and It"
you can read it here http://www.classicreader.com/booktoc.php/sid.3/bookid.136/

but here is a sample

Grown-up people find it very difficult to believe really wonderful things, unless they have what they call proof. But children will believe almost anything, and grown-ups know this. That is why they tell you that the earth is round like an orange, when you can see perfectly well that it is flat and lumpy; and why they say that the earth goes round the sun, when you can see for yourself any day that the sun gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night like a good sun as it is, and the earth knows its place, and lies as still as a mouse. Yet I daresay you believe all that about the earth and the sun, and if so you will find it quite easy to believe that before Anthea and Cyril and the others had been a week in the country they had found a fairy.

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2005, 11:27:45 AM »

When I was in fourth grade, we actually had "Library Class".  Besides learning about the Dewey Decimal System, we also learned about the Newberry and Caldecott awards.  There was a time when I would always make sure to find out who the winners and runner-ups were.  Some company would even come out with bookmarks with the listings on them - and I would use them as a shopping list.

Oh, DR Jose, I love it when you "talk library."

François de Paris

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »

Andrews' news!

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?p=julie%2Bandrews&sm=Yahoo%21%2BSearch&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&c=news_photos

Also -- and excuse me if someone has already posted about that! -- DRG Records has released the original (French) soundtrack to Young Girls Of Rochefort with bonus tracks!
Just saw the cd but don't own it!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 11:51:46 AM by François de Paris »

George

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2005, 11:55:09 AM »

Was the video Lincoln Center production "The House of Blue Leaves" ever available for public sale?  I remember it on PBS, Bravo, Ovation, etc...  -Or was it cable originally?  In any case...  I also seem to remember it being in the initial batch of releases from the Broadway Archive series, but I just checked their site, and it's no longer listed - if it was there in the first place.

Anyone?

I remember watching (and possibly taping) that production.  It was the first time that I have ever heard of Christine Baranski or John Mahoney. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2005, 11:55:49 AM »

But I don't know if it was ever released commercially. :-\

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2005, 11:59:29 AM »

Ah yes, Five Children and It. And its two sequels, The Phoenix and the Carpet and The Story of the Amulet. Everyone go out and read these books right now.

When my brother and I were little, my mom took us to see the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I was fine with it, but Mom was really scared. She still won't read the book even though she knows it has a happy ending. I remember checking the book out from the school library when I was in seventh grade and hiding it from my mom because I knew she wouldn't want me reading it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2005, 12:03:26 PM »

Anyone?

DRJose, I've never seen that production for sale as a commercial video.  I love the play, but I wasn't crazy about the production.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2005, 12:07:06 PM »

Hey, it's a VERY scary movie. All those children just disappear!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2005, 12:09:08 PM »

Hey, it's a VERY scary movie. All those children just disappear!

We have been over this. It was a competition to see which one of the kids could be trusted to take over the factory. None of them were hurt and they were all given truckloads of chocolate. I should be so lucky.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up