Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCALES AND HOLY GRAILS OF AUGUST  (Read 5368 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: THE SCALES AND HOLY GRAILS OF AUGUST
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2022, 08:23:23 AM »

Interesting, DR Ron Pulliam.

My interpretation of what BK meant by "found footage" is that the movie is structured artificially to be based on camera footage that has been "found," but is actually created for the movie in the screenplay.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2022, 08:23:31 AM »

TWO.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2022, 08:57:03 AM »

DR John I enjoyed your story about Pat Carroll.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:00:46 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »

I also enjoyed Bruce's memory of working with her.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2022, 09:08:35 AM »

DR Gerge, I remain confused about your apartment. DFo you have no AC in that space at all?

None.  My place is a 3-story townhouse-type.  There really isn't a place to put an AC unit.  I took out the doors, so there isn't a room that can be closed off and kept cold.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2022, 09:24:31 AM »

Laundry is finished. As I came up from the basement this last time, I found the hall outside my apartment filled with emergency workers who werre brought in to help my neighbor, who wasn't answering his door. He was away for months - he's got to be 85 if he's day - and he's more homebound than I.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »

The humidity must be over 100%. It is grueling out there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2022, 09:25:40 AM »

DR Gerge, I remain confused about your apartment. DFo you have no AC in that space at all?

None.  My place is a 3-story townhouse-type.  There really isn't a place to put an AC unit.  I took out the doors, so there isn't a room that can be closed off and kept cold.

There are all these cooling units I see advertised on TV and Amazon. Might one of them be helpful?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2022, 09:27:04 AM »

DR elmore3003, this made me think of you.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »

It is a gorgeous day here today. I'm still on vacation today; went for a really long walk and then finished up the vacuuming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2022, 09:37:57 AM »

omg, that's wonderful.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2022, 10:10:31 AM »

I also enjoyed Bruce's memory of working with her.

I did, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2022, 10:15:13 AM »

ChasSmith, tomorrow I think I am getting a copy of the JCS Playbill.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2022, 10:43:28 AM »

I thought adopting Thatch would keep Annabelle off my scores. Now, when I try to write, I habve three - count 'em 3 - cats on the score.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2022, 10:47:23 AM »

Around 1982, while I was working with the cabaret act "Just Good Friends," we perfrmed in Central PArk at the rally at the end of the Gay Pride parade. Pat Carroll was one of the speakers. She ands I spent a lovely couple of hours chatting on a nice June afternoon in Central Park.. I liked her very much.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 10:57:31 AM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2022, 11:13:40 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2022, 11:13:55 AM »

Guess I'll do stuff after the Zoom.

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2022, 11:32:35 AM »

ChasSmith, tomorrow I think I am getting a copy of the JCS Playbill.

Thank you, sir!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2022, 11:42:57 AM »

Interesting, DR Ron Pulliam.

My interpretation of what BK meant by "found footage" is that the movie is structured artificially to be based on camera footage that has been "found," but is actually created for the movie in the screenplay.

Yes, I gathered that, but I find there are few films I am aware of that are like that.

EXCEPT....

That wonderful reconstuction of "Something's Got to Give", the Marilyn Monroe-Dean Martin film that was being directed by George Cukor for Fox at the time "Cleopatra" was sucking up all the studio's resources.

It was, of course, scrapped, and was later recast with Doris Day and James Garner and Polly Bergen as "Move Over, Darling".

But some enterprising soul at Fox took all the found footage  (i.e. discarded but not destroyed) and pieced together a short version of "Somethings Got to Give" and included it on a DVD about Marilyn.  (Don't remember which DVD it was on).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 04:27:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44:01 AM »

Golly!  While I was typing my last, we had a gully-washer of a rain and now it is bright and sunny again.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2022, 11:46:37 AM »

There are all these cooling units I see advertised on TV and Amazon. Might one of them be helpful?

I've seen things like that, too.  They might help.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:06 AM »

:))

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:56 AM »

And they do make them without having to vent them out windows.  I had two such units in my Oakland condo.

Larry, the West Coast, especially Oregon and Washington state, has a lot of homes, including condos and apartments, that were never given central A/C because the weather was generally never hot enough to warrant them. 

But...the times are changing rapidly.

I didn't need A/C in my Oakland condo for the first couple of years, but one summer got terribly hot, so I indulged in window unit.  I lived there for 25 years and I went through a window unit, a portable that had to be vented and then two portables that did not have to be vented.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2022, 11:55:13 AM »

I'm heading over to the theeder early today to make sure all the props are on the prop table.....and maybe clean up the pit in anticipation of the music players strolling in.....maybe today....maybe tomorrow....

The music director has been asked numerous times for names of said musicians and arrival day, but she says "soon" and wanders away.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2022, 11:55:33 AM »

Ooh! Ooh!

"The Marilyn Monroe Special Anniversary Collection consists of five Marilyn Monroe films plus the documentary The Final Days. "

"In The Final Days, producer-director Patty Ivins chronicles Monroe's final, aborted feature film, Something's Got to Give, which was ultimately shut down after the star was dismissed from the production. Beyond Monroe's fragile emotional and physical health, this well-crafted profile examines the financial crisis facing her studio as well as the mounting frustration of meticulous director George Cukor and his cast, including costar Dean Martin, as Monroe's absences drove the shoot over budget. The documentary concludes with a 40-minute reconstruction of footage completed for the feature, which would subsequently be reshot as a vehicle for Doris Day and James Garner, Move Over, Darling."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:57:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2022, 11:55:35 AM »

I know of ONE person who will not be in attendance this evening....but everyone else should be there.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2022, 12:03:47 PM »

It is a gorgeous day here today. I'm still on vacation today; went for a really long walk and then finished up the vacuuming.

To have a perfect day when you don't have to work, lovely.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2022, 12:07:41 PM »

I was relieved not to be sick when I woke up this morning.  I was able to keep my important appointment this morning for my six month shot, that was postposed a week for our trip.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2022, 12:39:12 PM »

I'm heading over to the theeder early today to make sure all the props are on the prop table.....and maybe clean up the pit in anticipation of the music players strolling in.....maybe today....maybe tomorrow....

The music director has been asked numerous times for names of said musicians and arrival day, but she says "soon" and wanders away.

How large is your band, Jack?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »

I just finished putting away the laundry. My neighbor Ann stopped by to visit and leave me their mailbox key since they wil be away for ten days. I asked her to pick up a couple of onions for me and she dropped them off. I will make chili tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up