Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT  (Read 19333 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2005, 05:48:14 PM »

We left before the whole thing was over. We wandered over near the Village (I knew that was a mistake before we got there but do they listen to me? Nooooo) We ended up at Caliente Cab Company. There were 3 of us. We each had one frozen margarita, a side of guacamole, salsa and chips and a medium size quesidila cut into 4 pieces. There were also two diet Cokes in the mix. That's ALL we had. The bill upon leaving was $75 plus tip. A bit excessive for my taste. Oh, well. I had a very nice time with my friends and as we walked uptown and away from the madness we had a very good talk about things going on. It was, all in all, a nice day. I'm glad to be home and need to go to bed since I have to go to work in the morning.

DRBen, we'll have to go back to the margarita place by me, and I think Rodzinski wants to come along this time.  Some nachos supreme are calling me back!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2005, 05:49:11 PM »

Goodnight Ben. When we are in New York we can't afford to eat. (The exchange rate for the Oz $ makes it all frightening and of course we are not used to tips - except for service above and beyond normal expectations)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2005, 05:56:16 PM »

Had a message from OZDerek. He's back to the hospital for more tests etc today. He says hello to all and hopes to post soon.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »

There goes another hour!
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2005, 07:26:58 PM »

Hours come, hours go...in the Grand Hotel.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2005, 07:28:59 PM »

Hours is not to reason why.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2005, 07:37:33 PM »

Was channel surfing.

(Not the one between England and France)

I came across It's A Mad Mad etc in a terrible scan and pan. Of course there was a commercial break but what was interesting is that AMC is premiering two "lost" John Wayne films. Island in The Sky and The High and the Mighty. July 16th and 17th.

I am sure they will be a bitch to watch, I just might wait for the DVD releases.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2005, 07:38:17 PM »

BTW

What do the French call The English Channel?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2005, 07:50:06 PM »

BTW

"Waterloo"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2005, 08:00:21 PM »

Yes, those John Wayne movies will both be released on DVD, and I'm really looking forward to getting THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY.

I don't want to even think what this early Cinemascope (probably 2.55:1) movie would look like in AMC's pan and scan abomination.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2005, 08:02:07 PM »

I myself enjoyed three episodes of I, CLAUDIUS on DVD tonight. Always so much fun to watch these grand stories.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2005, 08:02:47 PM »

We had no pride celebration here today, so I watched QUEER AS FOLK tonight on Showtime HD to compensate.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2005, 08:03:28 PM »

SWW at least your out-of-stepdaughter  wants you at the family celebrations.   ;D

LOL I expect children to behave without their game-boys, but all that activity must have been too much for them.  I bet all the other children were running free in the restaurant.  We went to McDonalds and the kids sat still.  I think the blame belongs with the parents, not McDonalds.

Sorry about the Peggy episode.  Have you begun looking for a new home for her?  Maybe the organization you foster her through can get serious about it now.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »

Guess it's time to call this day to a close. Looking forward to a day with NO scheduled activities tomorrow. I wish I could sleep until 10, but I KNOW that's not going to happen.

Anyway, "see" everyone tomorrow. Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2005, 08:19:34 PM »

High and the Mighty will be out two weeks after the AMC airing - best to wait, as they'll also probably show it with commercials.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2005, 08:54:03 PM »

Rats, I've been found out...sorry BK

But wait, I didn't have any chest squeezing...

Ahhhhh, don't go there, Ann!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2005, 08:58:51 PM »

BTW

"La Manche"
It looks like a sleeve.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2005, 09:06:01 PM »

Jane has been trying to post, but her Internet connection keeps screwing up.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2005, 09:13:49 PM »

We left before the whole thing was over. We wandered over near the Village (I knew that was a mistake before we got there but do they listen to me? Nooooo) We ended up at Caliente Cab Company. There were 3 of us. We each had one frozen margarita, a side of guacamole, salsa and chips and a medium size quesidila cut into 4 pieces. There were also two diet Cokes in the mix. That's ALL we had. The bill upon leaving was $75 plus tip. A bit excessive for my taste. Oh, well. I had a very nice time with my friends and as we walked uptown and away from the madness we had a very good talk about things going on. It was, all in all, a nice day. I'm glad to be home and need to go to bed since I have to go to work in the morning.

Nytol!

Oh, good Lord, Ben.  The last time I hate at the McDonald's near Times Square, I asked them to Supersize my meal, and I think that cost me almost $75.00 just for me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2005, 09:23:34 PM »

Good Evening!

I ended up heading over to Andy's where I fixed some stuff on his computer, and then we drove over to Reston Towne Center to catch a movie.  We decided to see the not-so-new-anymore "Star Wars" movie.  I liked it, did not love it by any means.  However, there were some pretty good sequences,  my favorite being the end where all the groundwork was laid for "Star Wars: A New Hope".  -And as DR elmore had mentioned, hearing the "Luke and Leia" theme was a very nice touch.

The acting - or lack thereof - in the movie bugged me to no end.  Only the villains seemed to be in the same movie, so to speak.  Everyone else just seemed to be playing themselves and speaking their lines.  And then there was all that CGI "acting".  Although it's been years since I've seen the "first" one, I distinctly remember a mock-yet-sincere Shakespearean approach to the acting.  Yes, they were having fun up there in this big adventure, but it always came back to the big picture, the battle between good and evil.  Yes, I know many years have passed since the "first" Star Wars came out, but a lot of the acting just seemed too contemporary, too relaxed to me.  Even some of the bit parts were painfully miscast, amazingly over- and under-acted to me.

Oh, and I miss Yoda being a puppet.  Talk about being CGI-ed to death!  I felt he looked less real in this movie than in the previous ones.

And I did find myself wishing for more real people, real sets, real lights, etc. as the movie went along.  Computers have definitely helped the craft of movies, I just wish they didn't make the movies so much nowadays.  Seems like more science than art.

...Just my two cents.

But it was nice to see a movie again in a theatre - the first time I had seen anything since "Team America" in Houston last fall.

After the movie, we walked over to the Rio Grande Cafe for a late dinner.  Very good Tex-Mex food, and a very cute if somewhat absent-minded waiter.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2005, 09:29:51 PM »

Oh, good Lord, Ben.  The last time I hate at the McDonald's near Times Square, I asked them to Supersize my meal, and I think that cost me almost $75.00 just for me.

Actually, if you want to talk Times Square mark-ups, look no further than the "World's Largest TGIFriday's".  A friend and I stopped in there for a quick bite to eat once.   And that was definitely the last and only time I'll ever go in there.  The appetizers started at $8.95, and none of the entrees could be had for less than $12.  *And then if you head uptown about three blocks to the other TGIFriday's, the prices there are more in line with the national chain average.  Location, Location, Location.

*The couple of times I've been in the Times Square McDonald's - it's right next to the Equity Building (audtions, etc.) -  I haven't really noticed any major upping of the prices.  Now the ones along the Turnpike are a totally different story.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2005, 09:31:16 PM »

DR Tomovoz - Thank you for the continued updates on DR ozderek.  Be sure to tell him we all look forward to his return to posting, but only after he gets his rest, of course.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2005, 09:32:44 PM »

DR Ben - Are you sure you got the right check/bill? Or are those some BIG margaritas?  Or were they running Pride Weekend "specials"?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2005, 09:36:25 PM »

Does anyone know if the DEEPDISCOUNTDVD special is still running? I think it was 20 % off with a special code (I think I wrote the code down on a piece of paper at work, along with a list of a few DVDs I wanted to pick up).

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2005, 09:40:47 PM »

Had a nice day of visiting with family today, but I am exhausted now and I didn't get a thing done today...or yesterday for that matter...other then getting my lawn mowed early this morning!

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »

Now it is time to hit the hay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2005, 10:09:43 PM »

I took a Jacuzzi - thought it might be good to put a lot of heat into Ye Olde Tired Bod.  Hope it was the right thing to do - certainly it felt good.

Throat is still sore, but the rest of me is feeling a bit better.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2005, 10:24:58 PM »

Time for me to hit the hay too.  I'm hoping to have a productive day tomorrow, and I just hope I remember that I'm playing the show tomorrow night.  I'm also interested in the rest of the interview with Tom Cruise on "The Today Show".  It would be nice to start my day off with a good laugh.

;)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2005, 10:27:08 PM »

Sounds like it's National Hay Day.
Hay Der, u wiv the stars in your eyes.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2005, 11:43:12 PM »

Does anyone know if the DEEPDISCOUNTDVD special is still running? I think it was 20 % off with a special code (I think I wrote the code down on a piece of paper at work, along with a list of a few DVDs I wanted to pick up).

I don't know if it is, but you can enter the code before finalizing the order, so if it doesn't work, you can cancel the order.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up