Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT  (Read 19339 times)

Michael

Re:FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2005, 03:46:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: DIVISI!

I have never heard Divisi. An accapella group of eleven women at the University of Oregeon.

or

When writing divisi you can stack compound events by enclosing them in parentheses. Also, divisi which occur at the end of the measure must have the proper durations or the Scot program will mis-interpret the measure duration length.
(I have no idea what this was was about)
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2005, 03:47:08 AM »

An interesting song list indeed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2005, 03:50:58 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE

Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 05:34:35 AM »

Well, I will say that the NyQuil worked for an hour, and that I've been tossing and turning, not necessarily in that order, since two.  I don't know what the deal is with these heartburn pains, but I wish them to stop NOW.  As I said yesterday, it's like there's a little man in there that is just SQUEEZING thing and it's really BUGGING me now.  Throat is still a bit sore, but nose is okay.  

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 06:11:32 AM »

BK, that squeezing thing does not sound good.  Maybe you should have it checked out!

I have also been up for a very long time, hence the time of my other posts.  But I watched part of Trading Spaces and then went back to sleep.  I just went outside and it is already very hot.  Must water the flowers outside and then get dressed to go to an unveiling. :(

Michael

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2005, 06:35:11 AM »

For those that don't plan to buy the DVD of Tabitha . You can go here to see the update Tabatha page from www.brucekimmel.com with captures from the episode.

http://www.brucekimmel.com/tabitha.html.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 06:35:49 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2005, 06:59:41 AM »

Well we have survived (barely) the opening of the Bacharach show.

Last night was a hit and miss affair, made very tense by the sound woman's inability to get the sound system to work.  I'll let one of the other attendees go into detail, but it was not pretty.   :(   In the good news department, the lyric glitches of the first night were nowhere to be found.

I am off to my early morning gig, then I shall come home and nap for hours if not days.

TomofOz--nope, haven't heard that one.  Looks like another for our "rare gems" moment (take that, Jackie De Shannon).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2005, 07:11:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: DIVISI!
I do not know this word.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2005, 07:32:04 AM »

I have been errant and truant.  There is much to catch up with here at HHW.  But first...

I will be missing older grandlad Alex's birthday party today.  I will be working at the cash register, helping all the starving tourists bag and pay for their food.  The out-of-stepdaughter will not be happy about this at all, because she believes that my place is at her family celebration, not at work.  She believes I should walk up to my bosses and tell them that I will be at the party, and not at work.  She believes that I should determine my schedule, and not they.

I believe that my out-of-stepdaughter has wet goose down for brains.  I don't enjoy her celebrations, as the food is lousy, the children loud, and the adults totally ignore me, mainly because I have never been properly introduced to them and o-o-s either can't be bothered or doesn't know how.

It's not like everyone can't figure out that her dad and I are a couple.  SHEESH!

So, today I shall be happily at work, and not at the partay.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2005, 07:39:19 AM »

My choice to have breakfast in would be London, and especially Breakfast at Wimbledon since that's going on there presently and for the next week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2005, 07:42:37 AM »

Got my usual Sunday morning errands accomplished: ATM at the bank and then grocery shopping. I have alundry to do later this morning, and, of course, some DVDs to watch.

I was disappointed that I didn't get any DVDs in the mail yesterday, so I will "try" to manage with what I have here.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2005, 07:44:37 AM »

On my way to the bank/grocery store today, it was a pleasure to have Walter Willison's lovely voice filling the air with his selection from UNSUNG SONDHEIM.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2005, 07:48:06 AM »

I've been reading about upcoming DVD boxed sets from Warners for a long time, and I know there are upcoming boxes of Astaire/Rogers, THE THIN MAN, Miss Marple, Garbo, but nowhere have I seen any indication that Warners is going to release any Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy movies, so this Wednesday, I'll be recording quite a few of them onto DVD-Rs to add to the collection. I don't watch their films very often, but sometimes I am in the mood for ROSE MARIE or NAUGHTY MARIETTA or SWEETHEARTS. Looks like they're going to be able to squeeze most of their films into the day's run except MAYTIME and BITTER SWEET.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2005, 07:48:33 AM »

McDonald's is evil.

McDonald's gives children the idea that a restaurant is a place to play, with food as a secondary consideration.  

Not that food is a primary consideration at McDonald's, but that's a different issue.

The problem is, kids are now so conditioned by McDonalds (and Chuck E. Cheese and other such places) to think of restaurants as playgrounds, that they have no idea how to properly behave when the situation calls for proper behavior.  And restaurants too often do everything to make the situation worse!

Thursday, the same day that I was clobbered by allergies, we met o-o-s at a buffet restaurant in Annapolis, bringing William and Alex with us.  Alex and William were told the rules of behavior.  They were to sit at the table properly.  They could eat anything they wanted, but if they put the food on their plates they had to eat what they had taken.

Then disaster struck.  The restaurant had a member of their staff dressed up as a bumblebee, handing out balloons.  There was a beanbag toss game.  There was a raffle for t-shirts.  In short, what should have been a more adult dining situation, but family-friendly, had been kid-ified.

So much for getting the lads to behave.  They saw this, and all of Grampa's instructions flew away.  And o-o-s wasn't any help.  "You can't expect them to sit still without their GameBoys!"  Well, yes, we CAN expect them to sit still without their GameBoys.  I knew how to behave in restaurants when I was growing up, because my parents taught me proper behavior.  Der Brucer was raised the same way, and he thought the lessons had been taught to his daughter.  

Well, cut to the chase, dinner was miserable, a constant tug-of-war over proper and misbehavior.  

I blame McDonalds for being such a pervasive easy way out.  And I blame parents for buying that lie.

Bleh.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2005, 07:48:43 AM »

"Alone, . . . ."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2005, 07:59:16 AM »

No one is alone...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2005, 08:06:40 AM »

DR TomovOz:  Thanks so much for your inquiry.  The "Tooth Fairy" was brutal, but I put up a fight and won.  The pain is gone (along with the tooth).  It's "implant" time in the near future, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2005, 08:09:28 AM »

No one is alone...

"Phone rings, door chimes, in comes company. . . . "

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2005, 08:12:34 AM »

I have to say that MR. AND MRS. SMITH wouldn't have interested me under any circumstances (I've already seen PRIZZI's HONOR and liked it), and that same movie title (different story naturally) as filmed by Mr. Hitchcock isn't one of my favorites by him either.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2005, 08:17:09 AM »

Peggy is in trouble.

Friday, der B was grandladsitting one more time, the final day of camp week where he was transporting the lads to their respective lessons.  ("But you can't expect them to sit still in the car without their GameBoys!"  So why did Grampa have no problem at all, playing CDs to music they wanted and letting them read books?)  I, on the other hand, was at work.

Upon returning home, I made sure the doggies had a chance to do their outdoor business.  It would be so much easier if we could trust Peggy not to climb over the fence, but she loves to climb and then roam the neighborhood.  After a bit, I left the others outside while Peggy and I went back in.

Der Brucer finally returned home, but instead of coming directly inside he stopped to look at the construction on the McGulag being built next door.  I thought all the ruckus from the dogs was that they wanted to come inside, so I opened the kitchen door...

And Peggy ran out around my legs.  She took half a second to see der B standing there, outside the fence, and climbed over before we could stop her.  Then, realizing she was out again, she ran up the driveway and up the street.

Der B ran after her, and I ran through the house to follow.  By the time I got to the street, she had run downhill, so I followed on foot, leash in hand.  

I finally caught up to her, by cutting through some of the neighborhood back yards, two blocks over.  She had found a very nice couple, full time residents, who in turn had managed to get a leash on her.  I thanked them, switched leashes, and led Peggy back to our house.

Well, it seems that in those seconds between Peggy hitting the street and my getting her leash and following, she had run the OTHER way first.  There, she had a brief encounter with a little dog and her mistress.  Peggy had run right up to the little dog.  Mistress had panicked, scaring Peggy away (along with her little dog and the little kids that were there, as well).

By the time I returned with Peggy, she was threatening der B.  Our dog had attacked her!  Our dog had tried to kill her dog!  Her kids were all traumatized, and wouldn't be able to play outside for the rest of their vacation!

All of this, in just a very few seconds.

Peggy is not a vicious dog.  Please note how easily the other couple, who had never met her before, were able to get a leash on her.  (On top of which, they had spotted her nametag with our phone number, and had called us right away.  If Peggy was vicious, how would they be able to read the phone number on her collar?)

The vacationer is now threatening to at least report Peggy to the SPCA.  Technically, Peggy isn't our dog but belongs to the SPCA to begin with; we're just fostering her.  Still, a threat is a threat.

Another bleh.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2005, 08:18:14 AM »

Too much to do, too little time.  Bye.

Danise

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2005, 08:35:11 AM »

DR SWW, I am so sorry to read that about Peggy.  What a drama queen that woman was!  She just needs to take a chill pill.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »

To answer your question about Bonnie, DR Jose.  She had  exactly 7997 miles on her when I first bought her.  She was a lease but a 2004.  

I saved ten thousand because of that.  As the guy said, "This is as near to brand new that you can get without paying the full price."

I know what you mean about not liking to drive, DR Matt.  That's one of the reasons I take the bus to work--even with a vechicle I don't have to worry about breaking down every time I take it out.   I'm more confident with Bonnie but I still would rather have someone else do the driving.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2005, 09:06:37 AM »

DR SWW - shocking story about the "lady" and her kids - but it all goes back to your earlier post about the "times" they are a-changing.  People are most content to think only about themselves and how selfish they can be.  If we thought the 1960's was the beginning of the "me" generation - we were wrong.

Nowadays - a CHICAGO reference.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2005, 09:09:44 AM »

Congratulations to  DRGEORGE on his successful run - and thanks for the TABATHA review.  Thanks to DR MS for the TABATHA captures on the website!

I think I will check out DRdivarobbie's songlist that the entire world is talking about - well two people here mentioned it, and that's good enough for me.

Today is my family reunion - which, to borrow a phrase - is a lot like being pecked to death by ducks.  There is also a Board Meeting (just like the ones DRLAURA attends) - which is a lot like being the duck.  

Lights are set - hopefully the actors will be off book tomorrow, and the tech crew will be as interested in hitting their cues as they are in EACH OTHER - and MIDNIGHT will take another step forward toward OPENING NIGHT!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2005, 09:11:03 AM »

“Breakfast somewhere in Hawaii” is my wish.
NOT ONLY in Hawaii, BUT…
A brown roasted Kona coffe’s smell wakes me up and a fan is rounding quietly above… and if I look at the porch, Elvis Presley is sitting on there and begins to sing “Blue Hawaii” with ukulele. That’s enough. I don’t need any breakfast. :-* ;)

Danise

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2005, 09:11:10 AM »

It's not like everyone can't figure out that her dad and I are a couple.  SHEESH!

A couple of what?   I'm confused.    ??? ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2005, 09:11:13 AM »

Rome...the eternal city.  I would get up before dawn, have some eggs florentine on the balcony and watch the sunrise over Imperial Rome, imagining the same scene all those centuries ago when the Caesar's would do the same.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2005, 09:11:35 AM »

Quack Quack.  I will be back after the double ordeals.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2005, 09:13:43 AM »

KIRTZERLAND.COM IS WONDERFUL!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up