Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RANDY VICAR AND THE FRUIT COMPOTE  (Read 15871 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE RANDY VICAR AND THE FRUIT COMPOTE
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 08:18:22 AM »

My first visit to Disneyland was the first year it opened.  I don't remember much, but I do remember the Snow White Mine Ride.  Well, not much of that, except for the Wicked Witch with the apple, scared the s... out of me.  (Fortunately, I was still in diapers, I believe, or the clean-up would have been worse than it was.)

Disneyland was pretty much an annual event for my family while I was growing up.  The last time I went was on Gay Nite, a special fundraising event, several years ago.  Yes, the place has changed over the years.

The Disneyland replication in Florida at Disney World, on the other hand, is a pale imitation of the original.  Disney World is better for what Disneyland doesn't contain.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2005, 08:18:30 AM »

Well, I managed to sleep most of yesterday afternoon, then, after a brief break to reacquaint myself with my lovely wife and two fantastic sons, I went back to bed and promptly slept for another 9 hours, which is most unusual for me.  So today I am feeling a bit better rested but I am stiff from lying around so much yesterday.  Oy.

Tomovoz:  Thanks for the IM.  Can't wait to hear it!!

George:  Thanks for you IM the other day, too.  I had completely forgotten about those CDs.  May they find their way into regional theater artistic directors' hands across the great Puget Sound region, LOL.

So today I will do nothing other than reconnect to my "real life" (ooh, a late-career Sergio Mendes reference).  I have a house to straighten (how it got crooked is beyond me), a floor to sand with 240 fine grit sandpaper, bills to pay, and Burt Bacharach CDs to re-shelve.

I have already posted here about my least favorite ride:  Mission: Space at Epcot.  That tragic death of the 4 year old a couple of weeks ago only confirms what I said here months ago--the ride is dangerous and more warnings need to be posted.  I have never been so ill in my life.  I was literally unable to move for almost 2 hours after stumbling off of the ride.  Never again.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2005, 08:22:25 AM »

Page Two Dance: I propose a Sleeping Beauty Waltz.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 08:27:56 AM »

Least favorite ride, currently, is Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean.  Reason: The ride has been changed, Politically Corrected.  Originally, when the pirates were raping and looting the town, two pirates were chasing round and round after two statuesque women, and a third pirate was being chased by a plump woman.  Now, all three pirates are being chased by all three women.  PC ideology has ruined the joke.  Better not to tell it at all.  Phooey.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005, 08:30:48 AM »

Today is Helen Keller Day, in celebration of her birthday (June 27th, 1880).

It is also National HIV Testing Day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 08:35:05 AM »

TOD:  I used to love scary rides like roller coasters and tilt-a-whirls and the like, but at some point in the past twenty years or so, I started avoiding them like the plague.  I've somehow developed this overwhelming fear that if I got on one of these rides, they are going to break or fall apart or misoperate in some manner or other.  So despite having the proximity to about four different large amusment parks, I haven't been to any in a long time.

This summer, however, my friends vow to cure me of this fear and have made plans to take me to Great Adventure in NJ.  I think I'm up for the challange.  It would be nice to be able to go on boardwalk rides with my nephew and great neice when we go to the shore, instead of chickening out all the time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2005, 08:38:17 AM »

I just read where John Fiedler also died this weekend.  He was one of my favorite character actors.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2005, 09:01:28 AM »

Love to Ozderek.  you shall be in my thoughts and prayers

I have been  E $& T for a variety of annoying and miserable reasons, which continue to date however after ozderek's news I am ashamed to complain abut them.

Suffice it to say that I am still carless and unhappy about it, work is very busy  and I will be back when I can.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2005, 09:03:28 AM »

So many posts to catch up on, upon.

Good vibes and prayers to DR OZDEREK.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2005, 09:04:47 AM »

Hmmmm....DR MBARNUM, thanks to HHW, we ended up with two codes for deepdiscountdvd.

Supersale
and
dvdtalk

So you could actually place two orders if they are still in force, which I would think would be until the end of June...a few days from now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2005, 09:05:50 AM »

IT HAPPENED IN NAPLES is a funny film and Loren and Gable make a sweet couple.  But I will take HOUSEBOAT over it - with Loren, Grant, Martha Hyer, and three cute kids...and ROME!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »

THE BAT at Paramount's King's Island, which of course is no longer running.

They also have a couple of stand-up roller coasters - and I love THE BEAST - a great coaster with lots of hills, a dark tunnel, curves, and the biggest hill is LAST!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2005, 09:10:32 AM »

There's some interesting dish about Grant and Loren and the making of Houseboat on that Grant doc that's on the WB boxed set of Hepburn and which also ran on PBS a few weeks ago.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2005, 09:13:57 AM »

Thanks for the codes JRand54...I couldn't find my note here at work where I had written them down...I think now will be the time to get La Aventurerer (I think that was the title).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2005, 09:14:32 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

First and foremost, Vibes of All Kinds to DR ozderek.  My thoughts are prayers are with you.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2005, 09:23:25 AM »

I think the sale ended last Saturday, but I could be mistake about that. I got a notice early in the week from Deep Discount saying the sale had four more days to run, so I fear it might be over.

On the other hand, I may have misread the notice, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2005, 09:24:25 AM »

As for amusement park rides....

I go through phases... I'll go through a summer or two in a row where I don't go to a park, and then suddenly I find myself visting a park week after week - and then wishing I had bought a season pass.  Ah, well...

Paramount's Kings Dominion is the closest park to me.  It's about 20 minutes from Richmond, and about and hour and 15 from DC - depending on traffic.  They have some great coasters, including two wooden ones which still manage to "entertain".  Their steel coasters and rides aren't bad either.  My favorite is "The Volcano" which is one of those "blast coasters" - and it's one of those where you sit down in the seat with your feet dangling in the air - suspended gondolas.  -Is that the proper term?  In any case...  It's a great ride.

As a lot of theme parks have been doing lately, they keep updating some of their rides - well, more like refurbishing them. A couple of new coats of paint, a new theme, a new brand name character, and.... Voila!  A new ride!  -Sort of.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2005, 09:30:25 AM »

I do have to say my favorite ride hands-down is "The Tower of Terror" down at Disney-MGM Studios.  Such a great "pre-show" - especially if you happen to get one of the "bellhops" who really gets into character.  And each time I've been back, they've tweaked the ride, so it's always been different - even different during multiple rides on the same day.

The one time I went to Universal Orlando, I had a blast.  I like their "Hulk" coast the best.  However, just because one can ride all the coasters in the park in under and hour - Thanks to the Fast Pass - doesn't mean one should.  -It took me a better part of the evening and even the next morning to fully recover from all the "agitation".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2005, 09:31:31 AM »

I just read where John Fiedler also died this weekend.  He was one of my favorite character actors.

I read that, too, and I will miss him. One of those unmistakable character actors who elevated everything they came into contact with. I played Karl Lindner in a local production of A RAISIN IN THE SUNyears ago, so I've felt a connection to him ever since. (I did not play his juror in TWELVE ANGRY MEN, however. I was #4 - E.G. Marshall's role which is even larger in the play version than in the movie.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2005, 09:57:02 AM »

Now, as for dangerous rides...

There's an indoor coaster at King's Dominion called "The Outer Limits" - at least that's what it was called the last time I was there.  No real "Outer Limits" branding, it's more space-themed.  Again, it's a totally indoor coaster - like Disney's Space Mountain.  It's being in the dark that makes it seem more "dangerous" and faster than it really is since you can't see where the tracks are going.

When the ride first opened, there were lots of reports of the test dummies coming out of the ride headless!  Needless to say, they had to make some adjustments to the ride before opening to the public.  And when it finally opened to the public, the lines were as long as ever.  It still was a bit of a rough ride, but it was fun.  However, after the first season, they modified the design of the seat.  They removed the head cushions that were on the side of the seats.  Apparently, NOT hitting the sides of your head on the "cushions" was a lot safer than hitting them.

Hmmm...

As for "Mission: Space" - or any of those simulation rides ("Star Wars", "Body Wars", etc.)...  My experience has been that there are enough disclaimers and warnings for potential riders posted along the way.  And they provide ample opportunities to leave the line and the ride.  However, there's so much "peer pressure" from the people your with, the rest of the people in line - especially the little kids... And the people coming off the ride with huge smiles on their faces.  And sometimes looking at some of the people with uneasy faces can be an incentive, encouragement to get on the ride.

But, ultimately, you won't know just how the ride will affect you until you ride it.

As for the recent tragic event at Disneyworld...  I just always wonder at the wisdom and judgement of any parent - and Park - letting anyone under the age of 8, 10, 12... on any sort of ride like that.  -And I've always wondered just how many ages, sizes, heights, etc., they test for in the first place.

*And I've seen more than one instance where I've seen a parent drag a truly reluctant and scared child onto a ride... And then have to deal with the still scared and now sick child afterwards.

For myself, I can't do those types of rides anymore.  My tolerance for being purposely made dizzy and nauseous has dropped over the years.  Thrills - hills, loops, speed, etc, - I can take.  Feeling like I'm in an out of control, speeding vehicle, while watching the visual simulation of said "trip", I can't.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2005, 10:03:04 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Groggy, slept okay but not great, and find I have very little speaking voice today.  Throat still feel sore, congested, but other than that, I feel GREAT!

Most excellent vibes and xylophones to all who need them!

Paramount has improved 1000% since five years ago when they did Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Court Jester, etc.  Hopefully, they'll get around to doing new transfers of those.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2005, 10:38:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~ BEST EVER HEALTH VIBES FOR DR OZDEREK!!! ~~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2005, 11:01:38 AM »

Yes, good vibes to DR OzDerek.  My thoughts are with you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2005, 11:05:34 AM »

BK, I know you probably don't plan on getting that many orders from canada, but $7 US shipping is huge.  Especially since it only costs like $1 to mail a cd by US postal service.

Also, since you mentioned that non-US parties could not order yet, i did not even check, but did you end up using Fedex, UPS or just the regular USPS.  Shipping policies are strict here (for buying items vs getting gifts).  And I'm almost afraid to wonder if UPS/Fedex would end up charging huge tax/handling fees.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »

I think you are looking for Aventurera DR MBARNUM.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2005, 11:25:46 AM »

Is it just me, or does this here site seem slow to refresh today.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2005, 11:30:47 AM »

DR Rodzinski is en route as I type this.  His ever-lovin' Antonia will drop him off in front of my building.

He, I, and two co-workers are going out for dim sum!  He wondered, when I suggested this, if I felt I might need some protection from a crazy person.  

I told him we needed extra people so we could get a greater variety of dim sum since the dumplings come in quantities of three or four.  With only two, we wouldn't get to savor a wide variety.  With four, we're going to be in nirvana.

I hope he likes it.  He said he's never had dim sum!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2005, 11:31:07 AM »

Site has been fine for me today.

Jennifer: We're sending via AIR everywhere outside the US.  Having shipped MANY packages to Canada via AIR I can assure you that none of them cost one dollar.  As I said, even at the six dollar rate I lose money.  I must ship with tracking numbers, so that means either Fed Ex or UPS for the moment.  If it's USPS or UPS, we will list overseas items as "gifts" so as to avoid problems.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2005, 11:32:08 AM »

If I'm not clear, we'll probably ship overseas items via USPS as they ARE trackable that way.  And we will list those items as 'gifts' on the customs form.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2005, 11:34:39 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Just been spending the past bit of time taking care of e-mails, checking some things out on the net, etc.   Sort of productive, at least.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up