Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE NOTES  (Read 5793 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2022, 09:07:54 AM »

DR Ron,

Jane

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2022, 09:12:32 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Yesterday was the beginning of the mold abatement in our family room.  ServePro guys were here all morning and that room is now off limits until next week.  I am not amused.

Not fun at all.  Vibes they finish the work on time.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2022, 09:13:50 AM »

Last night I received a message on Facebook from the director of The Miracle Worker.

It was sent at 6:19 p.m. and let me know that the newspaper photographer had not shown up yet and that some cast members very very upset.

I pondered a response to this strange missive that I read a few minutes after it was sent.  Before I finished typing, I received a message timed at 6:29 p.m. that read:  "He made it!"

Later in the evening I forwarded a copy of my original email from Monday that clearly said that the photographer would be arriving at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday evening.  I noted that perhaps some of "the cast" were upset prematurely.

I have received NO RESPONSE.

::)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2022, 09:27:11 AM »

~~~CONTINUED REMEDIATION VIBES~~~ for DR Ginny and DH Richard!!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2022, 09:30:21 AM »

I had not heard of this upcoming film:

The TÁR soundtrack is a concept album with music from and inspired by the motion picture including works by Mahler, Elgar, Guðnadóttir and more.
The film, set in the international world of classical music, centers on the fictional character Lydia Tár (Cate Blanchett), widely considered one of the greatest living composers/conductors and first-ever female chief conductor of a major German orchestra.

The Variety review was a rave.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2022, 09:31:12 AM »

OK, I have an ASK BK question, although it's not Wednesday. And DR ChasSmith or DR elmore3003, feel free to chime in.

Say you are an actor, for example, Beth Malone. And say you want to perform a song, say "The Life I Never Led," from Sister Act, at a benefit concert that will have a full band.

Do you, the actor, get permission and a set of parts for the band from the composer directly? Or do you, the actor, have to pay to have an orchestrator create a set of band parts for you and your use at such events? Or is that the responsibility of the concert producer?

And does the band work from the books of the full show? For a full concert of disparate songs, it seems like that would be a logistical nightmare. Or do they just have separate parts for each individual song in the concert?

I'm just curious.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2022, 09:51:45 AM »

From WaPo’s book column:

Since you’re reading this newsletter, you probably have piles of books around. About 10 years ago, when Annette Dauphin Simon was a bookseller in Neptune Beach, Fla., she began to realize those stacked titles were speaking to her in little poems, e.g. “The Splendid and the Vile” / “What’s Not to Love”
Next week, Simon will publish a photobook called “Spine Poems: An Eclectic Collection of Found Verse for Book Lovers.” Each two-page spread features a cleverly ordered stack of titles and brief commentary.

Midnight’s Children

Forever Young

Vampires Never Get Old

“Spine Poems” makes a fun gift for any book hoarder, and it’ll surely inspire you to start mixing up your stacks. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »

OK, I have an ASK BK question, although it's not Wednesday. And DR ChasSmith or DR elmore3003, feel free to chime in.

Say you are an actor, for example, Beth Malone. And say you want to perform a song, say "The Life I Never Led," from Sister Act, at a benefit concert that will have a full band.

Do you, the actor, get permission and a set of parts for the band from the composer directly? Or do you, the actor, have to pay to have an orchestrator create a set of band parts for you and your use at such events? Or is that the responsibility of the concert producer?

And does the band work from the books of the full show? For a full concert of disparate songs, it seems like that would be a logistical nightmare. Or do they just have separate parts for each individual song in the concert?

I'm just curious.

You mean it’s not like Singin’ in the Rain, where Lena (Cathy Seldon) tells the conductor what she’s going to sing and in what key, and they just play it perfectly?
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »

HA!     ;D

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »

I just LOVE the idea of spine poetry!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2022, 10:10:00 AM »

Last night I received a message on Facebook from the director of The Miracle Worker.

It was sent at 6:19 p.m. and let me know that the newspaper photographer had not shown up yet and that some cast members very very upset.

I pondered a response to this strange missive that I read a few minutes after it was sent.  Before I finished typing, I received a message timed at 6:29 p.m. that read:  "He made it!"

Later in the evening I forwarded a copy of my original email from Monday that clearly said that the photographer would be arriving at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday evening.  I noted that perhaps some of "the cast" were upset prematurely.

Oh, my. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2022, 10:12:07 AM »

From WaPo’s book column:

Since you’re reading this newsletter, you probably have piles of books around. About 10 years ago, when Annette Dauphin Simon was a bookseller in Neptune Beach, Fla., she began to realize those stacked titles were speaking to her in little poems, e.g. “The Splendid and the Vile” / “What’s Not to Love”
Next week, Simon will publish a photobook called “Spine Poems: An Eclectic Collection of Found Verse for Book Lovers.” Each two-page spread features a cleverly ordered stack of titles and brief commentary.

Midnight’s Children

Forever Young

Vampires Never Get Old

“Spine Poems” makes a fun gift for any book hoarder, and it’ll surely inspire you to start mixing up your stacks.

That sounds really cool!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »

I was just advised in an email from Samsung that my personal information may have been inadvertently obtained by a third party.

They kindly point out that I can obtain one free credit report per year to find out if a new line of credit may have been fraudulently opened in my name.

And otherwise, zilch.

It used to be the gold standard that in these situations, free credit monitoring for a year was offered since the breach was their fault.

i guess those days have passed.

Phooey.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »

I knew you would appreciate that DR CHAS SMITH.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2022, 10:50:34 AM »

Very nice day weather wise here.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2022, 10:50:47 AM »

DR ELMORE I am so glad you had a good morning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2022, 10:51:22 AM »

DR singdaw it's sad but DR ELMORE cannot help with the orchestrations - Stella has shredded his paper.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2022, 10:51:43 AM »

Shocking DR singdaw.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »

From John:

So, did DR Laura arrange the Wordle word of the day?

After finding out what the word was from Keith,

:))

Jane

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2022, 11:22:15 AM »

DR John was that strawberry ice cream? 

Jane

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »

DR TCB have you been able to book the recommended x-ray? 

Sending mega vibes!

John G.

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2022, 11:59:05 AM »

I had a scoop of cherries jubilee and a scoop of lemon.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2022, 11:59:32 AM »

I may have to have more.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2022, 12:03:15 PM »

What, the toilet paper is no longer good enough for her?

She is non-discriminating about the paper she destroys. This morning when I went into the bathroom, the toilet paper was lightly shredded. The damage to the score paper was less than I feared.

However, she and Annabelle are doing their utter damnedest today to work my last nerve. I've had deliveries from Amazon, Chewy, and Petsmart today, and between lugging the cartons up from one, I've had to deal with two cats whose curiosity and desire to help me have left me a sweaty mess. I worry about tripping over them or dropping something heavy like 24 cans of cat food or 29 lbs of litter on one of them. No matter where I go, Stella follows me and plops down on the floor next to me. After three or four times in minutes I no longer say sweetly, Stella, baby, you gotta move. Instead I yell something like, Godammit, Stella, move your effen ass outa here!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:12 PM »

Total jerks, DR JRand72!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2022, 12:10:49 PM »

DR singdaw, if the organization/band does not a set of parts for the song, chances are they will either pay an orchestrator to score it, or - in a lot of cases - a singer will call me to inquire if I ever scored the song and could they borrow my scpre and parts. Never, ever do they they call me and ask me to orchestrate it for them.

I would guess, if the performance is in LA or New York, that the group or singer may have some connection to reach the composer and ask for the materials. For example, David Shire gave Liz Callaway hius concert orchestration for "The Story Goes On."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »

So, Vixmom, was Debbie Harry in good voice?

She was! Two great shows back to back
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2022, 12:42:17 PM »

I suspected you would have something fancier than strawberry. 

John G.

« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2022, 12:45:33 PM »

I suspected you would have something fancier than strawberry. 

I like strawberry. I love lemon.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2022, 12:46:35 PM »

Right next w, I am having a scoop of dreamsicle over coffee Heath Bar b
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up