Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES BY OSMOSIS  (Read 24019 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:NOTES BY OSMOSIS
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2005, 09:02:08 AM »

My warmest congratulations to Michael Shayne for being selected for the Sparkling Prize, and to the other successful investigators who, I sincerely hope, did not agonize as much as I, going down the various dead ends (did anyone think Death of a Salesman, Fredric March (Years Ago), Spencer Tracy (The Actress) and Arthur Kennedy (Peyton Place) would get them where they wanted to go? Damn that Grace Metalious for not having had a play running in the same season...or any play, for that matter)?

I don't know if it was the pain meds that hindered...or helped...me out...but I'm certain I won't be as tenacious in future.  Oy!  What a headache!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 09:35:51 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »

PAGE #3 -- it's MINE, ALL MINE!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2005, 09:13:58 AM »

As for flowers...

Roses are indeed very nice.  All colors, all, types, all sizes.  And sometimes a single rose can truly say much more than a bouquet of them.

A friend of mine in Richmond works for the Department of Motor Vehicles, and he's the guy in charge of some of the landscaping and beautification of the roadways - or at least the grassy medians.  He has really done some nice work which I see frequently during my drives.  I'd have to say my favorite "displays" are the stretches of wildflowers - so colorful, and so "gentle".

And the big tulip gardens that dot the landscape around the Mall in downtown are quite spectacular when in full bloom and color.
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2005, 09:15:20 AM »

Nothing is cheerier than a pot filled with white petunias.

I beg to differ.

Nothing like a nice bowl of gillies.

;)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2005, 09:24:28 AM »

Favorite Flower:  Iris.  (Purple ones, not white.)  Favorite Flowering Plant:  Fuchsia, of which I am now the proud owner of two.  I have always dreamt of having fuschia hanging outside my home, and for the first time ever, the Dear Partner and I bought two pots this past weekend at the Rochester Public Market (MUCH larger and MUCH more impressive than I ever would have imagined....don't know why it took us nearly 3 years -- more, in John's case, as he grew up in Rochester -- to go there).

DR Elmoore, our garden was obviously planted by a plant lover.....there are more things out there that we dont have a clew about.  However, one of the things that was identified for us is a mature Jack-in-the-Pulpit (aka Bishop in the pulpit or, in our house, Rabbi in the pulpit.).  Larger foliage creates the roof of his congregation, while a solitary "stamen" (it's not a stamen, but another, more "erect" piece of foliage) stands underneath the awning of leaves.  It is quite lovely, though the Jack/Bishop/Rabbi does eventually whither.  We'd be glad to show you the next time you are in town while it is in bloom.

We also have allium, poppies, roses (Oy!  still don't know how to tend them!), day lilies, star lilies, columbine, peonies (various shapes & colors), globe thistle, lamb's ear, anemones, black eyed susans, etc. etc.

Oh yes!  And daffodils, tulips and irises!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2005, 09:32:52 AM »

On my modest balcony, I have some pink geraniums, a white "star lilac", a creamy "Angel's Trumpet", some grape hyacinths, yellow Dutch iris, some blood-red tulips, and a pinkish-blue geranium.

Oh, yes...and a cheerful pot of white petunias.

Of course, everything is seasonal and not at bloom at the same time (drat it!).

« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 09:34:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2005, 09:33:27 AM »

I hear a HHW rendtion of "Make Our Garden Grow" in the distance.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2005, 09:34:51 AM »

I hope it's a huge chorus singing a cappella....I LOVE that song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2005, 09:38:08 AM »

I was in bed before 10 p.m. and it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed at 7:30 am. today.

I'd normally blame allergies, but I have a major lethargy thing going on right now and my throat is sorish.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2005, 09:40:18 AM »

Has anyone here ever heard of trailing arbutus?

Does anyone have any?

I used to run into it all the time while I was a lad...it was apparently indigenous to the area of South Carolina in which I lived.

But I don't hear much about trailing arbutus any more.

I do hope it is not extinct.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2005, 09:45:20 AM »

And how is it possible that I'm the first person to reference THIS famous "Petunia"?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »

My warmest congratulations to Michael Shayne for being selected for the Sparkling Prize, and to the other successful investigators who, I sincerely hope, did not agonize as much as I, going down the various dead ends (did anyone think Death of a Salesman, Fredric March (Years Ago), Spencer Tracy (The Actress) and Arthur Kennedy (Peyton Place) would get them where they wanted to go? Damn that Grace Metalious for not having had a play running in the same season...or any play, for that matter)?

I don't know if it was the pain meds that hindered...or helped...me out...but I'm certain I won't be as tenacious in future.  Oy!  What a headache!

My primary dead end involved Uta Hagen and The Country Wife.  Grace Kelly was uncurteous enough to have her Broadway appearance close months before hand.  Fortunately, Uta eventually led me to the correct path.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2005, 10:00:51 AM »

The calla lilies are in bloom again.  Such a strange flower--suitable to any occasion.  I carried them on my wedding day, and now I place them here in memory of something that has died.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2005, 10:05:44 AM »

I just made up a riddle:

Who had respect for acting and came in many delicious flavors?
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2005, 10:07:56 AM »

Uta Hagen-Daaz!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2005, 10:11:42 AM »

For those of you in New York the sale at Footlight progresses. It's still 75% off all vinyl records. Added to the mix is cassettes and CDs. All cassettes are $1.00 (per tape) and all CDs are 20% off, excluding new releases (which includes things like Spelling Bee and All Shook Up, Piazza, etc). The store is slowly coming apart. It's like moving out of the house where you grew up.

Dan-the-Man, were you here in NYC this past weekend to see Spamalot? If so, what did you think?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2005, 10:14:12 AM »

Or would it be Uta Häagen-Dazs?

-spelling counts, doesn't it?
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2005, 10:17:55 AM »

Or would it be Uta Häagen-Dazs?

-spelling counts, doesn't it?

Any speling is axceptible.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2005, 10:18:15 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  After the horrid coughing jag that kept me awake until 1:30, I finally fell asleep and slept through the night, which was heavenly.  I have the uaual morning congestion, but feel I'm on the mend at last.  

Does no one here know a good class action lawsuit lawyer who'd like to take on eBay?  I mean, that company is RIPE for the pickings.  Yesterday, I received a notice on an auction I'd bid on and lost.  It was a second chance offer.  I wrote back and said, yes, I'd like to get the item.  Now, I knew it was a scam letter because it happened once before.  But, I like to bait the crooks.  I then forwarded the letter to spoof@ebay.com, who sent me their usual form letter saying they'd look into it.  I then wrote the actual seller and asked him to confirm that the second chance offer was, in fact, bogus.  I then got a second second chance offer from someone else.  I told HIM I was interested.  I forwarded it to eBay.  I then heard from the actual seller who did indeed confirm that they were bogus.  I then got an e-mail from eBay, their standard "yes, that was a fake" e-mail.  Not even addressing the problems.  Now, MY problem with this is this: They have two fraudulent second chance offers which were sent from WORKING e-mail addresses.  They should have a team in place that could go along with these people, so that they could track down where these things were coming from and who was involved.  But, they do nothing but, as James Thurber wrote, File and Forget.  I'm telling you, if any of you know a good pro bono lawyer who'd like to make a name for themselves, eBay is ready to be nailed to the wall.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »

Any speling is axceptible.

Where's my prize?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2005, 10:45:33 AM »

I beg to differ.

Nothing like a nice bowl of gillies.

;)
Or a plate of sardines.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2005, 10:46:04 AM »

Yesterday, DR Jane posted...Jane, dear, you may not need a Kleenex box as much as you think.   Very few people are allergic to artificial flowers.

;D

You never know with me.  ;D

Whatye drops did you use during your allergic reaction?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2005, 10:50:07 AM »

My primary dead end involved Uta Hagen and The Country Wife.  Grace Kelly was uncurteous enough to have her Broadway appearance close months before hand.  Fortunately, Uta eventually led me to the correct path.

I went there, briefly....still, I wanted Grace Metalious more than ANYthing to have had a play on Broadway in the same season as Death of A Salesman.

:D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2005, 10:50:14 AM »

What eye drops did you use during your allergic reaction?
Visine-A, specially formulated for eye allergy relief.

Which sounds strange, but that's how they've written it on the bottle.  It sounds like it's for people who are allergic to eyes.   :-\

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2005, 10:51:03 AM »

Dan-the-Man, were you here in NYC this past weekend to see Spamalot? If so, what did you think?

I had a terrific time at Spamalot.  Even with being overly familiar with Monty Python and with the cast recording, I laughed my buttcheeks off.  I really did not expect for the show to be that funny (the OCR does not give away half that it could.)  Of the performers, I immediately fell in love with David Hyde Pierce, Sara Ramirez and Alan Tidyk.  The only sour note for me was the scandalous prices for the t-shirts and various souvineers--outrageous!  But otherwise,  I have to say that I haven't had that much fun at a show since Hairspray.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see another show.  After strolling around a bit, my companions were dying of heat stroke and, since I didn't spot anything at TKTS other than Sweet Charity (which no one was interested in), we left for home.  I will have to get up myself later this summer to take in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Piazza.  Perhaps I could meet up with you and DRs Elmore and Rodz then?
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2005, 10:52:37 AM »

A package has arrived.  It includes the OCRs for Light in the Piazza and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  Tough decision, which to hear first, the Light or the light-fingered!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2005, 10:53:23 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK BAKALOR!  Have a beautiful day.

George did you see the original Cruise interview on Oprah?  I didn’t.

Elmore have a good trip.  I will miss you. :(

Jed, FEEL GOOD VIBES!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2005, 10:54:45 AM »

Thanks SWW.  I haven't used Visine in years and never the allergy formula.  I really need something to stop my eyes from itching all the time.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2005, 11:00:02 AM »

Just got our first substantial store order - Dress Circle in the UK - light on the Guy Haines, but huge for ATB - and all non-returnable.  Very good news.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2005, 11:04:45 AM »

I just need to make it known that the DP (Dear Partner, in HHW lingo) and I do not subscribe to Showtime, or any of the other "premium channels" on our cable system.  Digital cable is just fine for us.

HOWEVER....

Friends lent us the boxed set of Season 1 of Queer as Folk, oh.....several months ago.  We finally got around to watching it this weekend.

Not since Brideshead Revisited have I been so engrossed in something.  (Though Brideshead had, unquestionably, more quality, it had fewer buffed pecs.)

Simply put:  My goodness!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up