Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FEELING MY OATS  (Read 19422 times)

Danise

Re:FEELING MY OATS
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2005, 03:39:01 PM »

Glad that your home safe, DR Ginny.  Sorry that you couldn't leave your room for that one day but at least your better.

Thank you, DR TomovOz for the updates.   I'm thinking very good thoughts and hoping they come true.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2005, 03:41:08 PM »

Page 5 dance--well at least the music for a dance!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 03:43:30 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »

Had another message from Derek this morning - He would be arriving at the hospital about now for another day of IV/Steroid treatments. I hope to be able to give an update in about 8 hours.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2005, 03:46:08 PM »

Vibes that the treatment goes very, very, very well.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2005, 03:46:46 PM »

I sent that model's photo to my mom...and asked if it reminded her of anyone.

She was stunned.  Said it looked like my dad and where did I get it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56:07 PM »

I meant vixmom, of course.  But isn't it time for the vixter to join our merry troupe?

I am afraid that The Vixter may be a little  too adult for this  group!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2005, 03:58:04 PM »

Holy Cats!  I'm way freaked out.

I just got an e-mailing from Abercrombie & Fitch, and this model is a dead ringer for my father when he was a young man:

Ron -- I wish I had met your Dad when he was a young man.  Come to think of it, I think I did!
“One thing’s universal,

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2005, 04:22:37 PM »

Good evening, fellow dear readers.

I am tired. That about wraps it up.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »

Ron -- I wish I had met your Dad when he was a young man.  Come to think of it, I think I did!

Well...you'd have been about -5 or -6.

He was 25 when I was born in 1948.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 04:41:38 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Stuart - I'm still LOLing!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »

Well, maybe someone just needs to post another household query so that DRs Ron and myself can start posting opinions and possible solutions.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2005, 04:48:43 PM »

I haven't had one single e-mail today, nor have we had one CD order today.  Skammen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2005, 04:48:48 PM »

Well...  When I was getting out my car a few minutes ago, they broke in with a Severe Weather Alert for part of Maryland, and Loudon County in Virginia.   Well...  I can definitely say that Fairfax County in Virginia seems to be getting some Severe Weather right now too!  Lightning, thunder, torrential rains, high winds....

-Well, at least we're getting some rain.  It's been about three weeks since we've had any major rainfall.  And we need it too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 04:49:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2005, 04:49:58 PM »

I've finally gotten around to starting to transfer a bunch of LPs I've gotten recently - making nice CDs, usually two albums on one CD.  Right now I'm doing The Adventurers by Jobim.  Really nice music.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »

Next up, one of the key jazz cover versions of a musical from my childhood - the Morris Nanton Trio doing Flower Drum Song on Warner Bros. Records.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »

DR Ginny - I'm also a Studs Terkel fan and admirer.  -And, yes, he's still alive.  "Working" was my first exposure to him, but I've also read some of his other books.  However, it took me a few years before I realized he had done one with people in show business.  Of course, I bought it a year or two ago, but have yet to read it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2005, 04:52:15 PM »

Well, maybe someone just needs to post another household query so that DRs Ron and myself can start posting opinions and possible solutions.

;D

Personally, I'm going to set up a PayPal account and have folks pay in advance before advice is dispensed.  That way, all my personal testing, grief and strain will have paid off in the "sharing."

:D

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2005, 04:56:10 PM »

DR Danise mentioned Mr. Ball - assuming she meant Michael Ball - I've been wondering recently if it is a coincidence that Mr Ball is in NYC doing a stint with the NYC Opera just about the time when ALW is rehearsing "The Woman In White" to prepare for the opening in November.  Michael Ball did take over Michael Crawford's part to RAVE reviews in London, and since he didn't get to do the Bway production of "Chitty", wouldn't it be nice for him to be back on Broadway with an ALW show since he made his Bway debut in "Aspects of Love" and hasn't been back since?  It's all just a strange coincidence to me.....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2005, 04:56:29 PM »

Oh....

Thanks to all the DRs who clued me into as to where and what the Inwood section of Manhattan is.  My friend who's about to move out of her place also got back to me too with more info.  I would be at the end of the A line.  Hmm...  Not sure I want to be that far north.  Also, since it is at the end of the line, it's about a 30 minute trip to midtown on the subway.  Hmmm...  We'll see.  At least it's an option.

*However, if any other NYCers or NYC-bounders are interested, I can pass the info on to you.  My friend is a real estate agent, and she's just trying to find potential people to move into her place before it becomes officially listed - and, thus, additional broker and listing fees come into play.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »

DR's Jose and Tomovoz and other Studs Terkel fans - he's very much alive and was quite witty Sunday afternoon at a panel of Chicago authors.  His newest book, to be released in September is titled And They All Sang:  Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey, conversations with singers - classical, opera, jazz, gospel, blues, folk, and rock.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »

Thanks for that info DR Ginny. Also thanks DR Jose - I didn't know about the show biz book either.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2005, 05:20:13 PM »

Well...you'd have been about -5 or -6.

He was 25 when I was born in 1948.

Okay, Ron, you win; but it was a nice fantasy!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2005, 05:21:02 PM »

DR Tomovoz -

The Spectator: Talk About Movies and Plays with the People Who Make Them
by Studs Terkel; Introduction by Garry Wills

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
In earlier oral histories such as Working, The Good War, and Hard Times, Studs Terkel showed a virtuoso talent for absorbing the small talk of regular Joes and Janes and turning it into a literary cross-hatch--Robert Browning and Herodotus, Margaret Mead and Steinbeck. It turns out all this was prologue. In The Spectator, Terkel reveals that if he loved the waitresses and hockey players of earlier books, it wasn't in "the way, nor to the same degree, as those in the world of the lively arts." You can tell, reading this book. The Terkel touch is all here, but in 50-plus interviews with the likes of Buster Keaton and Marlon Brando, James Cagney, Simone Signoret, Jacques Tati, and (weirdly) Arnold Schwarzenegger, it's Studs's range that astonishes. He has textured memories of remote stage productions of Arthur Miller's plays--which you might expect. But when he remembers Kanchenjungha with the Indian filmmaker Satyajit Ray, Ray laughs out loud: "Where did you see that?" There are lovely little fender benders, too: in a basement apartment in Paris in 1963, Simone Signoret extravagantly praises Françoise Rosay and Agnes de Mille, characters we know from earlier chapters--de Mille especially. A choreographer who brought ballet to Broadway musicals, she explains that African rhythms and English clog dancing married to beget tap; with a shift from up to down beat, she says, "syncopation and jazz were born." Reading The Spectator, you marvel once again at Terkel's facility with people of all kinds--and his deep familiarity with the American century. --Lyall Bush--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
[/size]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:22:44 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2005, 05:22:48 PM »

Thank you Jose.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2005, 05:33:35 PM »

I wish there were an easier way of transfering these LPs to CD - I have to do all the track IDs manually, a pain in the butt cheeks.  You can't have it do it on "auto" because sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't.

Danise

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2005, 05:35:40 PM »

DR Danise mentioned Mr. Ball - assuming she meant Michael Ball - I've been wondering recently if it is a coincidence that Mr Ball is in NYC doing a stint with the NYC Opera just about the time when ALW is rehearsing "The Woman In White" to prepare for the opening in November.  Michael Ball did take over Michael Crawford's part to RAVE reviews in London, and since he didn't get to do the Bway production of "Chitty", wouldn't it be nice for him to be back on Broadway with an ALW show since he made his Bway debut in "Aspects of Love" and hasn't been back since?  It's all just a strange coincidence to me.....

I've also heard that Michael Crawford is doing a few concerts about that time but I have no real info.  Another strange coincidence.....
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2005, 05:36:55 PM »

I think the new Terkel book should have a companion CD, don't you?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »

Hmm...

It really is a sad state of affairs when the best thing on TV is "Dancing With the Stars"... At least I can catch up on last week's episode at 8:00, before the new one at 9:00...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2005, 05:45:53 PM »

Hey, I just noticed on my Futurama calendar that today is Bernard Herrmann's birthday.  If he were still alive (he died December 24, 1975), he'd be 94 years old.  Just had to share. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2005, 05:46:05 PM »

Hmm...

It really is a sad state of affairs when the best thing on TV is "Dancing With the Stars"... At least I can catch up on last week's episode at 8:00, before the new one at 9:00...

:-\

Not necessarily...CSI airs back-to-back episodes on Spike TV each weeknight from 7-9 p.m.

Of course, you have to like that sort of thing, and you have to get Spike TV on your cable setup.  I definitely do.
 ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:50:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up