Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THICK OF SUMMER  (Read 19822 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE THICK OF SUMMER
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2005, 01:12:48 PM »

Oh, my lord. Why should a bartender care whether the drink he makes has liquor in it or not? Sounds kind of snooty to me.

I haven't had a Shirley Temple in years, but they are delicious.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2005, 01:15:45 PM »

I think not.

It's conspiracy, pure and simple.

Or discrimination. I'm thinking of writing a protest letter.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2005, 01:16:08 PM »

BK, I will explore British comedy films one day...I don't know why I have seen so few...certainly I have seen many British horror and sci-fi and even some crime dramas and mysteries.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2005, 01:17:54 PM »

DR Elmore3003, never fear, I did not even finish the first martini last night...it was sooooo strong that I couldn't even drink it all....just a few sips and I was beyond tipsy!

I ate dinner and drank coffee afterwards as I wanted to be clear as a bell while watching AUNTIE MAME...which I very much enjoyed, by the way!

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2005, 01:19:29 PM »

Michael Shayne, good luck with your play.

George, along with HOUSE I think TRIAL BY JURY is the best thing on TV.  I wish I knew where to write and request it not be cancelled.  I have never done that before.

Producer DIck Wolf was astounded when NBC canceled it thinking it had done more than enough to warrant a renewal. And its rerun numbers have been much better than the ratings for NUMBERS in reruns this summer. TNT was tinkering with the notion for producing more of them for their network, but the deal couldn't be worked out.

But, I'll tell you a secret. I think NBC will call it back next season as a replacement for one of their lame already announced shows that isn't going to draw flies. Mark my words.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2005, 01:21:13 PM »

I am back from picking my friends up at the airport. They happened to be out of London the day of the bombings, so they weren't in any danger as it turned out. Anyway, glad to have them back.

Now, in just a few hours, I'll be hearing "Welcome to the Sixties" and other wonderful HAIRSPRAY numbers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »

Ginny what do you think of THE FOREST LOVER?  I like the title.  While I never would have chosen THE PARROTS OF TELEGRAPH HILL for a discussion I’m sure glad someone else did.  I never imagined the book to be so exciting and engrossing.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2005, 01:34:19 PM »

Producer DIck Wolf was astounded when NBC canceled it thinking it had done more than enough to warrant a renewal. And its rerun numbers have been much better than the ratings for NUMBERS in reruns this summer. TNT was tinkering with the notion for producing more of them for their network, but the deal couldn't be worked out.

But, I'll tell you a secret. I think NBC will call it back next season as a replacement for one of their lame already announced shows that isn't going to draw flies. Mark my words.

I hope you are right!  I keep thinking it will be saved by someone, far worst show have.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2005, 01:35:55 PM »

Or discrimination. I'm thinking of writing a protest letter.
I wonder if it might Help?

I'd love to see them get Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell together for a new film.  Possible for "The Fly III"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2005, 01:38:46 PM »

DR MATTH - sometimes I find the Sparkling Trivia Question to be frustrating as well.  But don't give up.  There is a lead that will break it open - there always is - I haven't found it this week, but I am still looking.

Even when I am following a lead that goes nowhere - I usually learn something about a show or performer that I didn't know.

I can never figure out HOW to even start looking...short of just picking a play at random and going from there. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2005, 01:41:38 PM »

....Waiting for this gray guck to burn off so that the sunshine can shine through.

It doesn't look like Washington state is going to get any sunshine today. :P It's overcast and has been sprinkling a bit.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2005, 01:44:07 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Laundry, dishes, etc...

My nephew and niece, John and Alyssa, have been here all day.  Alyssa has been in one of her "shy" modes again, but at least she's not crying.  -My brother and his wife decided to take a little "vacation" this weekend.

And now I must get another load of laundry started...  Will the excitement never cease?

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2005, 01:44:30 PM »

Hot, hot, hot here - near 90 and humidity so terrible that you want to wilt. Nio relief in sight either.

But folks struggling with the hurricane in the Gulf and now coastal Florida and Alabama have a lot more to worry about so I'll stop complaining about a little warmth.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2005, 01:46:19 PM »

Before I jetted away to pick up my friends, I enjoyed a couple of more MONK - Season 2 episodes (high points in the series, I think) with Monk at the circus and in Mexico.

Then I watched the rest of the BEWITCHED - Season 1 disc 2 episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »

When I leave the computer in a few minutes, I'm going to get some of the DVR shows watched - primarily SYLVIA SCARLETT which I'm eager to see again after many decades.

George

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2005, 01:47:36 PM »

DR RLP - I am intrigued by the premise of that answer.  However, how can one disagree?

James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, and Robert Francis are just three more stars who were no longer offered parts after they died - coincidence?

They could do a remake of "Arnold." ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2005, 01:48:35 PM »

Good Afternoon!

And now I must get another load of laundry started...  Will the excitement never cease?

Yes, knowing what a busy day I had in store for me, I got laundry started much earlier than usual today. It is now all finished and folded though I haven't put it away yet.

I have to leave SOME fun for later!  :D

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »

I don't think the bartenders are making fun of the Shirley Temples because they are non-alchoholic.    I'll bet if you asked for a Diet Coke or some other drink they would not  blink twice.

Here at least Shirley Temples are thought of as for children.  But that doesn't mean that you guys should not ask for them.  If you like the taste, then who cares what anybody else thinks!

George

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2005, 01:53:31 PM »

British comedies that I like (and have actually seen):

The Mouse that Roared
Blithe Spirit (I've only seen the play)
Importance of Beng Earnest (again, play only)

Britsh TV comedies:

French and Saunders
The League of Gentlemen (NOT the League of Extraordinary Gents)
Murder Most Horrid (I LOVE this show...but no one seems to know about it)
Red Dwarf

George

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »

Off to my sister's.  We're getting together to celebrate her boyfriend Larry's birthday, which is tomorrow.  And I have to put up the new light fixture in the downstairs bathroom before everyone comes over.  Have a good day, all!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2005, 02:02:14 PM »

TOD:

All the good films have been mentioned already.  I'll add A Fish Called Wanda, though I'm not sure if it was British produced or not.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2005, 02:38:36 PM »

Oh... As for a British comedy...  "Cold Comfort Farm".

I still remember when this came out a few years ago, the box office in Richmond posted a sign "warning" theatregoers that the very thick English accents (of various types, regions) may be hard for Americans to understand at times.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2005, 02:43:46 PM »

Oh... As for a British comedy...  "Cold Comfort Farm".

Stella Gibbons' "Cold Comfort Farm" is one of my alltime favorite comic novels, and I can't believe I forgot John Schlesinger's wonderful film version!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2005, 03:00:53 PM »

I just got to thinking...I have seen THE FULL MONTY and BLITHE SPIRIT...and liked them both...so I have seen some British comedy films.

THE MOUSE THAT ROARED is one that I need to catch one of these days.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2005, 03:37:56 PM »

DR Rodzinski, I am in the middle of watching THE NASTY RABBIT, the DVD you sent to me...I am trying to find it in my heart to forgive you.

(Of course I did send you FROM HELL IT CAME, so maybe we are even.)

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »

DR Ginny - Thank you.

But more importantly, there's a Beer Nuts Factory Store? Do they sell broken and mis-matched peanut halves?

;)
Thank you for the morning laugh for breakfast DR Jose. I'm usually a bit shell shocked when I greet the day and Magnus' and Fosca's energy!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2005, 03:50:28 PM »

Back from rehearsal.  We had a really good run-through of Act One, and then we stopped, I gave notes, and we tightened and sharpened things while they were still fresh in Kevin's head.  Tomorrow we run Act Two and do the same, then Tuesday, one full run-through and work-through afterwards.

George

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2005, 04:43:05 PM »

My sister wasn't home when I went over there...they all went to the wedding of a friend of my niece.  When my sister got home, she said that I shouldn't have put up the light fixture in the bathroom yet because she hadn't finished painting the wall yet.  She didn't leave me a note!  Anyway, it's up and she'll just have to paint behind it...or I can take it down fairly easily.   Anyway, everyone's coming over to her house at five, so I thought I'd just pop in and catch up.  Now that I'm caught up, I'll be going again. ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2005, 04:47:22 PM »

I've just received a letter from DR François. He is Angouleme.  For once he actually has a television to watch. He was watching "Hey Mr Producer" on video.
I think he will be back at HHW a week from Thursday.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2005, 04:48:12 PM »

OzDerek just phoned.  He is back to the hospital this afternoon. More tests and the results from last week.  Stay tuned.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up