Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IRONY DEPARTMENT  (Read 23824 times)

Ben

Re:THE IRONY DEPARTMENT
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 07:06:59 AM »

Hisaka said:

I thought hurricane is always named a girl's one.

That used to be the policy but it changed in 1979.

Here is a link from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Association) about hurrican names:

http://www.fema.gov/kids/hunames.htm

And here is a little more information from the Information Please Web site:

Because hurricanes often occur at the same time, officials assign short, distinctive names to the storms to avoid confusion among weather stations, coastal bases, and ships at sea. Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms have been named from lists created by the National Hurricane Center and now maintained and updated by the World Meteorological Organization. The lists featured only women's names until 1979, when men's and women's names were alternated. Six lists are used in rotation. Thus, the 2004 list will be used again in 2010. A storm is given a name once its winds reach an intensity of 40 mph. In addition to the Atlantic list of names, there are ten other lists corresponding to other storm-prone regions of the world.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 07:09:04 AM by Ben »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 07:25:13 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Cillaliz.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 07:29:07 AM »

DR MattH:  I don't recall if you were the one who told me this, but somewhere, someone told me that the seasons of QAF that followed the initial (and most British) season weren't quite as good.  We are now halfway through season 2, and while I concur with the above assessment, they are still as captivating.  And for some reason (at least up until now) I seem to get teary-eyed every time Justin is on the screen.  

And who knew Robert Gant was hiding that body when he was on "Popular"?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2005, 07:43:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: SPITTOON!
'Tis better to spittoon than to recieve.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2005, 07:45:15 AM »

Der Brucer just replied: "Spittoon: a lisping cartoon character?"

Only problem is, that doesn't eliminate very many of them.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2005, 07:45:59 AM »

For Maltby and Shire, it has to be "Starting Here, Starting Now," though I think the score of BABY doesn't have a weak number and always enjoyed singing "And What If We Had Loved Like That?" with my Arlene when we did the show.

I also loved singing "He Loves Me Not" from CLOSER THAN EVER, a marvelous trio.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2005, 07:49:24 AM »

Honesly, DR Stuart, it wasn't I who said that. I actually prefer the QUEER AS FOLK episodes that don't ape the British original incarnation. They take the characters to very interesting places which I quite enjoyed.

I LOVED Chris Potter as Michael's doctor/lover in the first season and was so sad to see him go, but Robert Gant is a more than worthy substitute, and he grows into a very interesting and fascinating character in subsequent seasons. He is going through a terrible trauma this season, by the way.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2005, 07:53:26 AM »

ForColeman-Leigh, it has to be the title song of LITTLE ME. What a marvelous duet in the original show!

I've never seen LITTLE ME done on stage, so I'd love to experience it. I think I'd like the original version, however. There aren't too many actors versatile enough to do what Sid Caesar did, though, so I may not EVER see this one done on a stage.

(And for those who saw the Martin Short-Faith Prince version, what did you think? Also, did anyone see the short running James Coco-Victor Garber version?)

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2005, 07:53:58 AM »

And a very Happy Birthday indeed to  DR Cillaliz!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2005, 07:54:57 AM »

SPITTOON--Oliver Stone film about a soldier in Viet Nam who is obsessed with chaw.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2005, 08:02:52 AM »

My season 3 DVDs of MONK came in the mail today, but I'm still enjoying Season 2, so these will have to wait for awhile.

(And, of course, I'm loving the new season of original episodes on USA now).

Ben

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2005, 08:07:18 AM »

According to Playbill, Miss Lansbury's fall at the Sondheim Tribute was more serious than orginally thought:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93978.html

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2005, 08:08:39 AM »

Happy Birthday, Cillaliz.  Where in Iowa are you?  DS Betsy got one of her many degrees from the U of I, and my late Uncle was Dean of the Teacher's College in Cedar Falls for many, many years.  I still have my favorite Aunt (probably not for much longer, sad to say) and lots of cousins in Iowa.

Elmore:  Max's listserv isn't a site, it's a "mailing list" you can subscribe to.  I don't have the instructions here, but I think Craig Brockman does, if he's still around.  The orchestration thread got started with regard to that ridiculous press release saying the new Sweet Charity had replaced the "dated" Ralph Burns orchestrations.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005, 08:14:44 AM »

It's hard to choose Maltby and Shire songs.  As much as I like "Baby", it's hard to swallow since I had a not-so-memorable time in the pit for that show.  It left scars!  I like the songs from "Starting Here, Starting Now" and find a lot of "Closer Than Ever" rather tedious.  I do like "Life Story" even if it is too long.  And I might be the only person that actually enjoys "Big"!

Here is the Playbill.com article on the "Sunset Blvd." movie
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93968.html

it says nothing about Hugh.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 08:16:02 AM »

Bringing everyone up to date on my E&Tness:

Well, I thought Sunday would be a great day to catch up on everything...but it wasn't to be.  Der Brucer got a phone call: "Grampa, can you come and help me with my Erector Set?"  It was Alex, the older lad.  A minute or so later, another call: "Grampa, can you come watch me swim?"  William, the younger lad, of course.

So, instead of my catching up on everything (including the laundry) we headed to the Eastern Shore and helped build and swim.  And we ate fresh corn on the cob, and potato salad and pasta salad and steaks that were rather tough but at least it was der B's daughter who paid for them so it saved on our wallets this time.  And we got home rather late.

Yesterday, I got to work fairly early, my shift ending at three-thirty.  After work, I was going through the store, picking up items I'd need for dinner, when der B suddenly appeared beside me.  "We've got doggy pictures to take!"  So we headed over to the pound, for pics of a highly affectionate white bulldog, and then to a home more to the south, for pics of an equally affectionate retriever.  Good news: der B posted the pics on the web after we got home, and this morning we got word that the dogs are already being rescued!  So that trip was worth it.

When we got home, there was a phone message waiting for me: could I come in to work today (Tuesday), as well?  (I'd been scheduled for a day off.)  Sure!  So I'll be back at work tonight, and then turn right around and sleep, and then work again tomorrow morning.  In the meantime, I had dinner to fix, and der B had work to do on the computer...so I didn't get online at all yesteday.

This leaves me with some of today to catch up...but since I don't get off work until 11 tonight, some of my time is going into making a decent lunch for us before I head out.

And that's why I've been E&T.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2005, 08:17:14 AM »

My season 3 DVDs of MONK came in the mail today...
Somehow, I confused this with Debra Monk.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2005, 08:19:46 AM »

According to Playbill, Miss Lansbury's fall at the Sondheim Tribute was more serious than orginally thought:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93978.html
"...as a result of having tripped and fell..."

Which, of course, should be "...as a result of having tripped and fallen..."

::)

JMK

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:01 AM »

"...as a result of having tripped and fell..."

Which, of course, should be "...as a result of having tripped and fallen..."

::)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 08:24:44 AM »

Today is St. Veronica's Day, the patron(ess) of laundresses.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2005, 08:27:44 AM »

Here is a LINK to the registration site for Castlrec.  DR Elmore, it's pretty much a process of signing up with your e-mail address.  A small warning--somedays your mailbox will contain up to 50 messages from the listserv.  And the discussions can be a little on the dry side, but the majority of the people who "post" are pretty knowledgeable and stay on topic.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2005, 08:42:13 AM »

Spittoon:  What "Lida Rose" would be if Winthrop sang it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »

It's gonna be hot in Oakland today.  Hotter still in surrounding, inland, areas.

The weatherman (or was it just a deejay?) says we're getting our heat from Arizona!  That's thanks to some system that moves in dragging heat from western states (east of California, natcherly)  toward the west coast.

The fog -- that blessed natural air conditioning -- has been pushed well off coast.  It's supposed to make its return Thursday evening.

Ah.....heck.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:45:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005, 08:49:22 AM »

Congratulations to Steve Gurey for winning the Sparkling Prize...and to my fellow triva quiz solvers.  Nothing like engaging the little grey cells in a trivia contest, eh!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

I forgot about the TOD:

Maltby & Shire:
The Story Goes On
And What if We Had Loved Like That?
Stop Time
Just Across the River
Crossword Puzzle
I Hear Bells
(There's a duet...or at least 2 songs that are sung contrapuntally from CLOSER THAN EVER, but I can't recall the names)

Coleman/Leigh songs:
The Best is Yet to Come
Witchcraft
I've Got Your Number
On the Other Side of the Tracks
Little Me
Poor Little Hollywood Star

« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:56:51 AM by Stuart »

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005, 08:53:58 AM »

I think the Hugh Jackman stuff was supposed to be a joke. He should have been cast as Joe, of course, if this movie comes off. He's a better singer than Ewan McGregor.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 08:54:28 AM »

BK:  I have seen "The Canterville Ghost" several times as I have it on VHS.

The movie was definitely filmed as a "comedy", but it is very (VERY) loosely based on Wilde's story.  It was a showcase for Charles Laughton and uber-wunderkinder Margaret O'Brien.

I think a darker take on the tale might be fascinating.

Is this URL the same show you saw, or are two versions in the works?

http://www.cantervilleghost.com/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:58:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »

I'm quite enjoying the rest of the HELLO DOLLY cast disc with the Mary Martin and Pearl Bailey and Ethel Merman contributions.

Funny how tinny the original Carol Channing version sounds to me. Maybe I'm just used to watching/listening to the overblown Hollywood versions.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005, 08:57:34 AM »

I saw CANTERVILLE once on TCM some years ago, but it didn't leave a great impression on me (not like ON BORROWED TIME, for example).

A quick check of Leonard Maltin's book says it has had two movie remakes since the Laughton version.

JMK

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2005, 09:07:19 AM »

I seem to remember Patrick Stewart doing a tv remake of Canterville some years ago.

May I just say, in listening to Light in the Piazza, that life is not fair?  Some people are born with a gene pool that cannot be matched.  Maybe I should have gone and fought a war instead of going into music.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2005, 09:09:02 AM »

How stupid of me to forget--there's a Bock/Harnick Canterville Ghost.  I have the LP.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 09:09:29 AM by JMK »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up