Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T MOCK ME  (Read 16934 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:DON'T MOCK ME
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2005, 09:27:14 AM »

DR Elmore3003:  I do believe you know the difference between such fodder as the Harry Potter books and the true classics like "The Iliad."

If not, so be it.  ;)

In a thousand years, perhaps Harry Potter will have stood the test of time.

For now, gimme a break.   ;D
I don't believe the Potter books are "fodder," although I think there's quite a lot of it in the publishing world.  And this site, starting with myself. ;D

Dickens, Washington Irving and Shakespeare haven't been around a thousand years, and before the Renaissance and the translation of the Iliad, it was Greek to a lot of readers.  I'm sure many in the 19th Century would have called Dickens, even Dumas and others, "fodder" for his serials, which aren't so far from the Harry Potter series in their intentions, and for their inability to stand in a class to Fielding and Richardson.  It's all a matter of taste, and if in another 150 years Harry Potter and the Oz books are still being read, I wouldn't be at all surprised.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:37:43 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2005, 09:29:21 AM »

Disaster films I'm fond of:

The Towering Inferno
Twister
Deep Impact
Airport
The War of the Worlds (the George Pal version)
The War of the Worlds (the Stephen Spielberg version)
Krakatoa, East of Java (a pretty neat film, despite its geographically inaccurate title).
The Day After Tomorrow (totally impressive special effects)
Independence Day (just BEcause it's entertaining and the effects are awesome).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:30:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2005, 09:34:11 AM »

It has nothing to do with breaks, don't be so superior.

Sorry to intrude upon your specialty!  

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:36:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2005, 09:35:09 AM »

Note to self:  Bring up cast iron pan.

:)
Note to Jose: Use it primarily for cooking.  Although it can make for a nifty defensive weapon, if you've been working out and can swing it properly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2005, 09:38:59 AM »

Sorry to intrude upon your specialty!  

That was good, it's nice to know the wit is still sharp.  And I deliberately changed the post.  Even if you are acting superior.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:40:14 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 09:44:11 AM »

"Disaster Movies"

The Exorcist II: The Herretic will also be the 1st and the "best"....
Oh, deary deary dear!  I remember E2 all too well.  I was working at the Alex Theater at the time (then in it's death throes before being shut down and then restored to it's current glory), and that was our "big" film.  About a week or so into the run, the studio gave us a new edit of the film, cutting it way back and making it even more nonsensical than it had been originally.  It was truly a disaster film, in every sense of the word.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 09:47:49 AM »

I have nothing against Harry Potter books.

I don't believe anyone should be chided or insulted for not having read them because they'd rather see the films first.

I think your point of view is a bit superior, too, but if criticizing me makes you happy, who am I to deny you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:58:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2005, 09:51:59 AM »

In reply to what the esteemed BK wrote in today's notes:

In the day of The High and the Mighty, did they even know how to build a metal detector?  Other than the sort that was used by scavengers on the beach, of course.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2005, 10:00:18 AM »

The Towering Inferno caused a tiff between my mother and myself.  While in college, I'd seen the film just a few days earlier, before returning home for Christmas.  I'd enjoyed myself, and thought it well done and well written, given the sort of film that it was.  It was certainly superior to the books on which it had been based (yes, two separate books, both summer trash).

Well, Mom listened to my verbal review of the film.  I thought she was listening, that is.  Later, at a Christmas party hosted by former neighbors of ours, I overheard her telling her friends that I had thought the film wasn't very good at all.

It's one of the few times I ever contradicted her in public, restating my positive review.  She was not pleased with me, and probably would have sent me to my room if we hadn't been too far from home for me to walk.   :-\

Interestingly, she never misquoted me again...that I know of.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2005, 10:08:25 AM »

We're getting a run of thunder here in Rehoboth.  Der B is, coincidentally, watching a show on mediums and seances.  He's appreciating the additional soundtrack.

Oh, and his idea of a disaster film is George Lucas' THX 1138.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2005, 10:08:56 AM »

Just finished reading the latest Harry Potter a few hours ago.  I'm sad that I'm through, less than 24 hours after I bought it- and I was trying to make it last!  I will refrain from making any comments until others here have had the chance to read it.

I haven't quite finished catching up on the last few days of posts but I saw that there have been some comments on the movies and wanted to add my two cents to the mix.  I am a fan of all the movies and while of course I feel it's best to see them after having read the books, I think they are fine to stand alone even if you haven't read the books.  One and two are great, the casting is fabulous and I appreciate the fact that they very closely follow the plot of the books.  However I feel they miss capturing some of the magical and compelling quality that keep you turning the pages of the book.  Movie three follows the plot more loosely, and puts things out of order- however I feel that it goes the farthest toward capturing the spirit of the book.  It's my favorite of the three- my only complaint is that they could have used about 5-10 more minutes in the Shrieking Shack for explanations.  This is where it was most helpful to have read the book.  I spent about fifteen minutes after the movie answering all of Rodzinski's questions about what the heck had just happened.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2005, 10:09:58 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.   Just had a one-hour catch up conversation with Miss Juliana A. Hansen, who sends her love.  She's in St. Louis doing Footloose.

I never understand why sniping is necessary on this site.  This ain't eBay, baby, so there's no reason for it.  Everyone feels what they feel - as you know, we try very hard to keep this site friendly and cheerful, and while little tiffs are natural now and then, they just make this site something it isn't.  That said, I do like the use of smileys to denote tone.

Good disaster movie choices.  I believe there are not one but two Poseidon Adventure remakes being filmed right now - one for TV, and one for the big screen by Wolfgang Peterson.  There was some weird thing with split rights.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2005, 10:12:46 AM »

Is James Barrie's Peter Pan taught in any school curriculums?  Or is it just a part of some drama department's repetoire?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2005, 10:17:42 AM »

I have nothing against Harry Potter books.

I don't believe anyone should be chided or insulted for not having read them because they'd rather see the films first.

I think your point of view is a bit superior, too, but if criticizing me makes you happy, who am I to deny you.

Your comments about the books being fodder would imply a low opinion of them, but I don't recall chiding anyone who'd rather see the flms than read the books.  

I deliberately altered my original post because I had realized that I was most certainly acting superior, didn't want to offend you, and went back to change it.  While I was doing that, you posted your comment about me.  It was funny, and I deserved it.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2005, 10:18:20 AM »

It was fifty years ago today that Disneyland opened in Anaheim.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2005, 10:22:30 AM »

Good disaster movie choices.  I believe there are not one but two Poseidon Adventure remakes being filmed right now - one for TV, and one for the big screen by Wolfgang Peterson.  There was some weird thing with split rights.
Something tells me Peterson won't be returning to Gallico's original book for inspiration; it's not written in his style.  If there is a television remake, I hope they at least read Gallico's tome; there was some interesting stuff there that didn't make it into the first film (such as a second group of survivors being rescued from the other end of the ship, whose tale remained untold).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 10:35:13 AM by S. Woody White »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2005, 10:27:39 AM »

(such as a second group of survivors being rescued from the other end of the ship, whose tale remained untold).

DRSWW, thank you for confirming my memories of the book.  I had read it when it was first published, and I now have next to no memories of either film or novel.  I had even forgotten it was by Paul Gallico!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »

I haven't read any Harry Potter books, and probably won't.  And it is a loss to no one.

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY is on that commercial-filled station AMC tonight, and I will probably watch it (as horrible as it will be to see that way) - just because I too loved the movie when I was a kid - and I don't get advance copies of DVD's as do important big CD producer-singer-movie director-writer types.  Although of course, I am glad they do so we can read about them before buying them (OR NOT!).

Break a leg on the run-thru for Mr Kevin and MR BK....and healing legs to DR TCB.

Lovely photo DRCILLALIZ.

Why am I hungry for chicken?  Why do I want to go to NYC?  Why is Tuscaloosa calling me?  

And of course that is where elephant ivory hunters go because the....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2005, 10:37:42 AM »

If AMC is showing The High and the Mighty pan-and-scan, do NOT watch it - it would be a travesty.

I woke up quite nauseous this morning, but am feeling fine right about now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2005, 10:38:27 AM »

Don't mock me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2005, 10:39:03 AM »

I think I shall now read the story of The Randy Vicar and the Hornpipe.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »

Favorite disaster films:

Titanic - 1953
Airport
When Worlds Collide
Beginning of the End (an ecological disaster!)

Disastrous films:
Illusions with Heather Locklear
Airport '75 & "The Concorde"

My favorite made--for-TV disaster film is SMASH-UP ON INTERSTATE 5!

A really great multi car wreck that was shown at the beginning - and then we flashed back to all the occupants earlier in the day - and then at the end we saw the crash again and learned the fates of the characters!  And what a tv star line up:

Buddy Ebsen
Vera Miles
Harriet Nelson
Robert Conrad
David Groh
Tommy Lee Jones
Sue Lyon
Terry Moore
Donna Mills
George O'Hanlon
David Nelson

Music by Bill Conti  
Directed by John Moxey

Filmed at La Crescenta (Hi, Frances!) on I-210.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2005, 10:44:35 AM »

BUT it is better than NOTHING!  Couldn't I just watch it until it hurts, and then stop?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »

I do believe I saw a Dino LP at a thrift shop in San Jose, fyi.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2005, 10:56:28 AM »

I do believe I saw a Dino LP at a thrift shop in San Jose, fyi.

There would be NO mistaking one!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2005, 10:56:59 AM »

Off to auditions.  Not sure which part I want, but I will take any in MY THREE ANGELS!  A very funny and charming show.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2005, 11:12:30 AM »

I have never been much of a fan of disaster movies. I'm sure I saw THE HIGH & THE MIGHTY on TV once but remember little about it.  I've always loved the haunting Tiomkin theme whistled by the great Muzzy Marcellano.

I hated the Poseidon Adventure ever since I saw it in the theatre and heard the first ridiculous opening speech out of Gene Hackman's mouth.  Most like Towering Inferno, The Swarm,  Earthquake, Meteor I've only seen in bits and pieces on TV.  

I suppose my favourites would be things like SAN FRANCISCO and HURRICANE from long ago   Or after-the-disaster stories like FIVE CAME BACK and ABANDON SHIP and LIFEBOAT.  NIGHT TO REMEMBER is pretty good.  but my fav is probably AIRPLANE.

The most disastrous disaster movie for me is the god-awful, bloated, fatuous, flatulent, inervating, nauseating wretched piece of flotsam, Cameron's TITANIC.   King of the World, my ass!

By the by, BK, great rant this morning about most of today's kids  being unable to appreciate anything beyond their own generation and the necessity to view things in historical context.

Actually, when I was teaching a couple of weeks ago in Kentucky, I had a day where I showed them clips from old black and white movies.  The kids in the class gave me reason to hope, as they were quite intrigued when I showed them bits from things like THIEF OF BAGHDAD, PENNY SERENADE, BEAU GESTE (I was doing "openings" one day).  They particularly kept asking to see the rest of BEAU GESTE.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »

Cilaliz your parents have a beautiful back yard.  Thanks for sharing.

TCB good hip vibes!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2005, 11:30:10 AM »

But tell us, CP, what you really think of Titanic!

;D :o ;D :o ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up