Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF  (Read 22591 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2005, 10:11:53 PM »

The Priority Mail envelope is a bit worse for wear, bent and creased, but it was still sealed and the CD case was NOT cracked or broken.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2005, 10:12:04 PM »

Just got home from Charlie and The Chocoalte Factory.  I loved it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2005, 10:14:20 PM »

Well, it's late here and I really need to sleep. I think I shall dream of oompa loompas and Johnny Depp

Cillaliz

« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2005, 10:14:44 PM »

Not necessarily in that order!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2005, 10:27:34 PM »

Great photos, DRJOSE....is that your door in the first photo just to the left of the staircase?

Yes, it is.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2005, 10:28:26 PM »

Oh... and I have to be up early myself.... I sort of forgot... Oops...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2005, 10:32:01 PM »

I am working on my AMAZON review so I can post it when I am allowed, BUT:

SPOILERS AHEAD - Do not READ IF YOU WANT TO HEAR THE CD FIRST:

DO NOT READ ANYMORE IF YOU WANT TO HEAR THE CD FIRST:

DO NOT READ ANYMORE IF YOU WANT TO HEAR THE CD FIRST:

New Guy In Town - Guy Haines:

Great packaging, great liner notes and photographs.  Song selection a bit more arcane than Haines His Way, the first Guy Haines CD.  

All of the songs are well done.  The orchestrations are first rate, and the musicians know their stuff.  The easy-going Haines style is matched perfectly by clever arrangements that are sweet but never cloying.

First two songs are pleasant enough.  "On Your Toes" has the type of lyric that Lorenz Hart was the master of - mix that with a Richard Rodgers tune and you have a toe-tapper that is bound to become a favorite.  Rodgers and Hart will make a brief appearance on another tune on the CD.  Next up "They Don't Give Medals (To Yesterday's Heroes)"  - this song was new to me, but because it was Bacharach and David, it was familiar at the same time.  A good kind of familiar, with that bouncing rhythm and those clever rhymes - so typical of the B/D hits of the late 1960's.

Next track is the first home run of the game.  Haines and Jessica Rush take dePaul and Mercer's "I'm Past My Prime" from LI'L ABNER and make it a delicious duet that has you imagining them in costume!  The lyrics and music are as fresh and perfect as the day they were written!

Next few songs I will cover in MORE detail for AMAZON.

Second home run:  "Love Look Away" from FLOWER DRUM SONG - BK proclaims this song perfection, and I must agree.  It has always been my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein "want" song - and it is a treat to hear it sung by a male singer.  Haines places the intro midway thru the song, instead of at the beginning where I am used to hearing it, but damn if it doesn't work!  More than one tear was shed during this tune.

BK is, I think, a bit too generous to the originator of the next song (one he wrote himself)  in the liner notes , but he acquits himself nicely with it.

Third home run:

"Millions of Men" - a Jones & Schmidt song that I only know from the WHAT IF? DVD.  Haines does it wonderfully and the piano by John Boswell is superb.  Although for now, for me, this song still belongs to Paul Haber, Haines is no slouch in his interpretation - this version will also be definitive.

Rest of the songs to be covered at AMAZON - but wanted to share my first reactions, which of course are MY OPINION ONLY.

It is a CD that has a great pedigree and that lives up to its lofty ambitions. Guy Haines is back with a new CD and Bruce Kimmel is back with a new label.  All's right with the world....at least the world as we know it.  

;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 11:32:03 PM by JRand54 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2005, 10:54:44 PM »

The Priority Mail envelope is a bit worse for wear, bent and creased, but it was still sealed and the CD case was NOT cracked or broken.

Mine arrived today too!  And your description is accurate for mine, as well.  I'm right now listening to the last track on "New Guy In Town" and I think that it's a wonderful CD.  It has a great mix of songs and I especially love "Cowboy Waltz."  The booklet and the artwork is top-notch and the pictures themselves are quite nice.  Guy's hands take a good picture. ;) Sadly, no hidden track.  Oh, well.  You can't have everything.  I'll listen to After the Ball tomorrow at work.  That CD also has some very nice pictures!

I must depart for the next hour.  The second season premiere of "Battlestar Galactica" is about to start and I totally forgot to tape (or even watch) it on Friday.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2005, 11:29:11 PM »

Just wrote a post and as I was posting it, Adelphia crashed.  Bravo.  It's back and I hope it stays back until the notes.  Happily, I saved the post just before the crash.

I'm back - what a LONG day this has been and I'm exhausted.  Show went great, and I must now write the notes.

Millions of Men is played by John Boswell, not Grant - John also plays Little Red Hat, Sail Away and something else I'm forgetting.  Glad Jrand and George enjoyed it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2005, 11:29:38 PM »

Also, I thin it's safe to say that we will achieve our new plateau by tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2005, 11:30:36 PM »

And time for me to find my corner of the.....bed!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2005, 11:33:30 PM »

Thanks MR BK - corrected my ID of the pianist on MILLIONS OF MEN - which is clearly credited in the booklet.

I can only plead too many verses of MAGIC TO DO tonight....my eyes are crossed....more than usual.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 11:33:56 PM by JRand54 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2005, 12:04:30 AM »

Also, I thin it's safe to say that we will achieve our new plateau by tomorrow.

Thanks for the update, Desi Arnaz! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up