Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: STUFFED TO THE GILLS  (Read 18814 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:STUFFED TO THE GILLS
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 08:08:51 AM »

No offense to Suzanne Somers, but I just don't think she's had a career that would make for a memorable evening of reminiscences no matter how cleverly staged or written it was.

Elaine Stritch, like her or not, had a career in the business that was worthy of an evening. Chita Rivera's upcoming one woman show should also provide a memorable occasion if it's put together with insight and theatricality.

I just don't think Suzanne Somers has had the sort of career that would lend itself to a one woman show.

However, I didn't see it and am just offering an opinion based on reviews I've read and my own (limited) knowledge of her career.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2005, 08:16:33 AM »

And if you don't like THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, there are second season DVD sets of THE BRADY BUNCH and ENTERPRISE coming out next week and also the third season of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, so comedy of ALL types available next week. (No, I don't think ENTERPRISE is a comedy, though it certainly has its lighter moments.)

Jason

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 08:21:46 AM »

George: There's only one tour of FULL MONTY going around that I know of, so you'll see Tommy. He's the understudy for Malcolm, Ethan and Keno the Stripper. He'll also be in the ensemble.

Stuart: No, he's doing DAMES AT SEA - the show after WAIT UNTIL DARK, which I believe he said opens Friday. Tommy'll be playing Lucky in DAMES. Go see him and report back to me. :) He's got a great voice and he's very funny, so...he'd be worth the trip. And he's really cute. :P

Jose: I don't know if you'll check this before we meet tonight: You're confirmed for Suzanne Somers on Friday night. We'll be sitting together so we can giggle together. Hehe...

Onstage screwups...hmmm. I have so many (what does that say about me??). There was the time in SWEENEY TODD that I was doing "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir," which is a really difficult song and happens to be the first thing Toby, my character, does onstage. It's early in the first act and I had just gotten to the really fast part of the number when I started noticing people getting up and leaving the theatre - several of them. It was the Sunday matinee, so the sun would come streaming into the theatre every time they opened the doors and I kept thinking, "nobody's even dead yet! Why are they leaving?!?" and I totally went up on the song. Forgot the lyrics completely and just fumbled my way through til I hit a musical landmark and got back on track. Very scary and terribly embarassing. And it was the closing performance.

Cut to closing night of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS: I was playing Prince Dauntless and had gotten to the Act One Finale, "I'm In Love With a Girl Named Fred."  It's a crazy list song much like the Twelve Days of Christmas, only the chorus depends on what my character says so they can sing it back. Well, I got up to around the 10th way I was in love with the girl named 'Fred and I forgot why I loved her! Totally went up on the lyrics and the chorus, who weren't the brightest and best when it came to musical theatre and hadn't taken the time to actually learn the song, didn't know what to sing because I couldn't remember my words! Lesson for the chorus: NEVER TAKE YOUR CUE OFF ANOTHER SINGER!!

Cut to OKLAHOMA!: I'm playing Jud and Curly and I are in the smokehouse a-fightin'. He ticks me off and I fire my gun to skeer 'im. He's supposed to skeer me back by picking out a knot-hole in the wall and firing at it. The bang of his gun is what makes Aunt Eller and Ali Hakim and various party guests come out to see what's going on. Well...our Curly wasn't very bright and he hadn't taken the time or shown the interest to learn how to load his own gun with the blanks. Our stage manager was out one night due to an injury, so it was up to us to load our own guns. We got to the scene and my gun went off just fine...we get to the point where he's supposed to shoot and...he skips three paragraphs of dialogue and waits for Aunt Eller to interrupt him! Well, there was no gunshot, so she had no idea she was supposed to come out 'cause he didn't warn anyone that the gun wouldn't be going off because he didn't know how to load it. He just let us look like fools instead.

Also in OKLAHOMA, I think on the same night, after Aunt Eller and Ali Hakim come out to stop us from killing each other, I'm supposed to ask Ali about "The Mighty Wonder," a weapon that I want to buy to kill Curly. I completely skipped the whole exposition of that plot device and didn't know it until the guy playing Ali came after me in the dressing room with panic in his eyes. "You forgot the Mighty Wonder!! YOU FORGOT THE MIGHTY WONDER!!!" So we added that whole chunk of dialogue into the scene in the second act where I actually BUY the Mighty Wonder. It was awkward, but I guess it worked.

And I won't even go into the issues we had with Aunt Eller and the auction scene. It was like a grab bag up there every night - you never knew what you were gonna get with her.

And then there was the time I puked in front of my entire elementary school during the 5th grade Christmas concert...

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2005, 08:29:14 AM »

Bah! I just got word on the four show season the local community college is doing fall 2005/ winter 2006, and there is nothing I'm interested in:

Agatha Christie's A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
INHERIT THE WIND

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2005, 08:38:54 AM »

Excellent stories all.  I have a few.  I've seen a few.  

Headers:  Opening night of the revival of She Loves Me, Diane Fratantoni (sp?), Amalia, came out for her curtain call and went right off the stage - she was helped up and took her bow.

In my show, Stages, Linden Waddell was doing her big second act opening number, The Girl That Men Go Mad For.  It was VERY dark (just a spot on her), the stage floor was completely black, and there was no glow tape on the edge of it.  I was sitting in the back of the house and I could see she'd moved too far downstage.  She made her cross to stage left and went right off the stage - the audience gasped, but I tell you that girl was up on her feet, climbed back up on the stage, found her light, without missing a lyric or a beat!

As for me -

My oft told Forget-Me-Not Lane story - it's a memory play, so frequently, John McMartin's character would have to sit and watch us young'uns reenact scenes from his youth.  Bud Cort and I are doing our final Act Two scene, where we're twenty-one and haven't seen each other since we were sixteen.  His character has grown up, changed, while mine hasn't.  It's very awkward.  At one point, Bud has a line, "I'm into Debussy now."  After which, McMartin shakes his head and says, "Poor prig" commenting on his younger self's pompousness.  Then Bud has more lines, as do I.  So, Bud gets to his Debussy line, and speaks it.  Silence.  Silence.  Our eyes both sort of veer over to McMartin, who has NODDED OFF.  Bud doesn't know what to do, and I certainly can't bail him out.  He sits there for the longest time and then, haltingly says, "Debussy....   He was quite a guy," really loud.  McMartin's head snaps to and he finally says "Poor prig" and on we went.

There was another night in the same show where we had a really vociferous LAUGHER in a front row.  Only this guy would always laugh just before the laugh line.  Every single time.  In my first big scene of the play, I've got all the laughs.  And, just as I get to each of them, but before I actually say them, this guy guffaws as loudly as you've ever heard anyone guffaw.  Other audience members start giggling because of the guffawing, and Bud and I are looking at each other, barely able to keep a straight face, and I'm sitting there delivering laugh lines that aren't getting the laughs because the buy is guffawing prior to them and no one is hearing the jokes.  Bud and I finally lost it, and were just howling - trying to howl in character, of course.  We got it together and got through the rest of the scene, and then laughed for twenty minutes backstage.

Finally, there was the time I was in a college theater class.  We were all doing our Shakespeare speeches.  As always, I was overtired, had learned mine very late, and wasn't all that prepared.  I got up, struck a pose, and said, "Let ME play the fool."  After which, I could not remember one other word.  I started again.  Same thing.  Again.  Same thing.  I finally gave up the ghost and said, "Let ME play the fool.  Play the fool ME.  What kind of fool am I?  Foolish me.  Tra la la," and I skipped off the stage.

I put that incident in Stages.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2005, 08:57:32 AM »

My lovely neighbors had some bush people with a buzz saw doing stuff at eight o'clock this morning, which, naturally, woke me up.  Very annoying.  They were through at eight-ten, but I was up and that was that.  I do not like those neighbors (the bush people couldn't do their ten minutes at nine?) and I do not like bush people with buzz saws.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2005, 09:03:10 AM »

And he's really cute. :P

What more do I need?  (A BABY reference)

We'll see if we can get down there.....   ;)

Jason

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2005, 09:08:45 AM »

For my high school graduation gift, my piano teacher surprised me with tickets to see Bob Goulet, Entertainer, in the national tour of CAMELOT. She had gone all out for these tickets - Center Mezz, Second Row, center seats - but the fool lady three seats down from us ruined the whole experience. She was totally snookered and when Lancelot came out singing "C'est Moi," she started singing along and mimicking his staging, sword thrusts and all. That went on for a while and then I guess she passed out 'cause she shut up until the finale, which she sang, as well.

During that same performance, Mr. Goulet, who was playing Arthur, of course, got tickled by something Mortimer did and turned his back to the audience and laughed for a good three minutes. He actually grabbed onto the tapestry drop hanging upstage and just stood there laughing with his back turned to us. Now, I know you get tickled and break up sometimes - it happens to all of us - but if you're going to do it, share it with the audience and let them laugh with you. Don't turn your back!! I lost some respect for Bob that day.

My high school choir show was the big event of the year at our school. We rented a theatre and rehearsed off-campus for three full days for tech. The show was taped and broadcast on Cable Access for months and months and the show was a HUGE fundraiser for the choral department. Don't worry - we didn't do legit shows - we did variety shows with those tracked choral arrangements, so I don't think broadcast rights were an issue. Anyway, I was big on my PHANTOM OF THE OPERA kick back in '94 and I convinced our director to do a whole section of numbers from the show. We had 300 people design and construct their own costumes and masks for "Masquerade" and we also did "The Phantom of the Opera" and I did "All I Ask of You" with one of the girls from Show Choir. The guy who was playing the Phantom came down to sing the title song, wearing the tux and the cape and the mask, which was held onto his head with an elastic string. He had long hair, which he had pulled into a ponytail, and when Christine went to remove his mask ("I am the mask you wear..."), the elastic got stuck on his ponytail and the mask snapped back and smacked Brad (the Phantom) in the face as he sang "It's me they hear (snap!)." Of course, that's the night they were taping and every time it was on Channel 2, we all watched to see Brad's mask pop him in the nose. Secretly I was watching to see how good my Masquerade mask looked in the lights. I spent 3 weeks sewing sequins on that mask - 4,000 of them. And nobody knew...?? Ah, the innocence of high school.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2005, 09:13:19 AM »

I think I've recounted this tale in this forum before.

When I was a college sophomore, our drama department produced "MacBird", a political satire based on "the Scottish play" set during the administration of Lyndon Johnson.

My part was The Wayne of Morse.  Wayne Morse was a senator from Oregon (started his political life as a Republican and converted to Democrat -- was very pro-Viet Nam during the Johnson administration) and the directions had him making huge entrances to the strains of the William Tell Overture.  The character always carried around a huge lance.

Our props mistress provided me with a fantastic lance (wood and papier mache) from the git-go, but the sound guy just couldn't bring himself to providing me with my cue music during "rehearsals" even one week from production date.

One evening, we were told we were having an early tech rehearsal and we'd get all our cues and sounds, etc.

Just at my entrance, I waited for my cue.  Nothing.  Silence.  The director yelled out, "Where's the Wayne of Morse?"

I replied, "He's in the wings waiting for the promised musical cue!"

The sound guy yelled, "It's still not ready!  Provide it yourself."

So, I summoned my strongest "all-the-way-to-the-back-of-the-house" voice and sang out the "dah-de-dump, ti-duh-dump.....dah-de-dump, ti-duh-dump" and began my onstage charge.

Thing is, something was on the floor that oughtn't to have been there.  I tripped.  But my lance made its entrance...boldly thrusting toward the fly area and then crashing to the floor where the point of it bent...pronouncedly.

There was dead silence.  Then someone whispered, "He tripped."  And bedlam ensued.  Gales of laughter swirled around the theater for what seemed like 10 minutes.

I was mortified.

I got through the so-called "tech" without further incident, and my music was provided from then on.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 09:18:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2005, 09:24:35 AM »

I finally finished my final journal entries from my trip to Paris/London.  You can check it out at

http://www.livejournal.com/users/maestromatthew/

Be sure to scroll down and read from the bottom up so you read in chronological order.  

-----

TOD - cut to 6th grade, I had to sing The Little Drummer Boy in the church Christmas show.  I had a drum and everything.  Someone started to laugh (which was typical) and I totally lost it, and started laughing as well.  It was not pleasent as I look back on it.

Cut to a few years ago in church.  I had to fill some time after communion as our song didn't quite make the length of the line that Sunday, and I began sing something that I had been singing with my second graders for at least 3 years.  I don't claim to be able to memorize anything, I have the hardest time.  But I took a stab at this song, so I started:  "It happened on a journey to Galliee one day....." - total blank... I noodled on the keyboard some more and started over "It happened on a journey to Galliee one day....." nothing, couldn't remember a thing.  So I noodled some more and tried a third time "It happened on a journey to Galliee one day....." - I finally gave up.   When the pastor began his final words he looked over at me and said "and maybe next week, we'll find out what happened on the way to Galliliee.".  It was a red-faced moment!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2005, 09:30:30 AM »

I've already told my going up stories here before (none involving me personally, I was just the piano player :)).

But there was a touring company of West Side Story here a few years ago and at the denoument, the gun didn't fire.  Tried again.  Didn't fire.  At which point, he threw the gun at Tony (no joke).  You guessed it--the sound of a firing gun.  Tony lay mortally wounded while an audience of about 1000 tried very hard not to laugh.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2005, 09:56:13 AM »

I went out to lunch and when I returned it seems a Mr. Guy Haines dropped by to deliver two CDs! I missed my chance to see the legend. I am told that his head has a large bandage which severly restricts the amount of face which can be seen. Oh, well. I missed Guy but I do have New Guy in Town and After the Ball.

Thanks Guy!

Ben

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2005, 09:57:37 AM »

Sad note for you Star Trek fans. James Doohan has died.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_en_tv/obit_doohan

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2005, 10:15:16 AM »

Hi, elmore!  Thanks for not mentioning my nose-dive into the orchestra pit at the end of the opening number in our You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown dress rehearsal.

Oh, that reminds me (I can't believe that I forgot it)...I was playing Charlie Brown in a production of the revised version of ...Charlie Brown and in the act one finale, "The Book Report," I frequently went up on my words during this. :-\ They finally had to give us clipboards with giant pencils so that I could write my lyrics on that because I just couldn't get them into my head for the first weekend.  Thankfully, the second, and last, weekend was fine.  And the clipboards and pencils (with bunnies on them) were so cute, they decided to keep them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:19:49 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2005, 11:20:43 AM »

Whassamatter?

Everyone turn shy all of a sudden?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 11:24:02 AM »

Random thoughts oh last night's "Big Brother 6" (and my feelings about some of the players since watching last night):

I loathe Eric.

I despise April.

I abhor Rachel.

And I especially detest Beau.

April is a troublemake.  Yes, she had to warn Michael not to be overfriendly towards her.  Yes, he kissed her on the neck and she told him to cut it out.  He did.  But April continues to lie to Eric to stir him up against Michael.  April lied about him continuing to bother her.  She sure ain't all THAT, I can tell you!

Rachel is a snitch...and an eavesdropper.  Beau is a pathetic little tattler, too.  Rachel had no idea what she was hearing, but assumed the worst and passed it along.  Any decent person would have kept it to herself.  Beau was confided in and immediately betrayed the confidence. (His partner, Ivette, is fiery, and totally out of her gourd, IMO).

Eric is a mini-Nazi who has let being head of household feed his egomania.  Loved the confrontation in the yard last night...and Michael's standing up to Eric's inane ranting.

Sorry Michael will be leaving tonight, too.  He makes things interesting.

Kaysar is a wimp.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:30:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2005, 11:31:37 AM »

Other BB6 watchers should weigh in at any time.  Please feel free to disagree.

:D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2005, 11:47:58 AM »

Other BB6 watchers should weigh in at any time.  Please feel free to disagree.

:D

I would, but I agree.  ;)

Though, I have to admit that what transpired last night in the yard seemed to be the most exciting thing to happen on any BB, including the one where that crazy guy "pulled" the knife on that trailer trash girl.....

This does seem to be a den of vipers.  And loads of people swearing to get "revenge" on those who voted out their teammates.  Pul-eeeeze!  Get over yourselves!

Jason

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2005, 12:01:15 PM »

And now that it's 3:05, I'm off to lunch. FINALLY!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »

DR Stuart:  It's "high" drama, despite the fact that it's a summer show.

What irritates me more than anything is all the little "chickie pops" calling Eric "Cappy".

I LOVED what Michael said to him in the yard last night...I thought it was HIlarious!

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »

Re: BB6.

I don't find Michael in any way appealing, any longer. When Eric and Kaysar told him to try to control himself and stop "sexually harassing" the girls, he should have just said, "Woops, my bad. I will try to get hold of myself." Instead he placed the blame on the messengers and the "victims"...everyone but himself. And last night he was totally playing the jerk, I thought. He acts more like a 3 year old, then an adult.

Kaysar is in a very tricky spot. He has a secret partner that is turning into a big liability for him. Kaysar is trying (maybe too hard) to smooth things out between those in the house who are upset. He needs to distance himself totally from Michael, but it is not easy thing to do that to someone you are supposed to be a team with...but if he doesn't then he is going to be a marked man...although he may be already. I don't think he had any idea that Michael was so emotionally immature. And I don't think Kaysar is a wimp at all. He has self control and maturity far beyond his years. He also has sexy eyebrows and that 5 o'clock shadow that drives me wild...er, oh, I am digressing...

I thought Ivette was way off base in her remarks to Kaysar. I like Ivette, but she does have a temper and flies off the handle, particularly when she drinks, it would appear.

And boy did Kaysar get offended when Ivette suggest that he had no respect for women! I have no idea where she came up with that, and as far as I can tell it was uncalled for.

Eric does go a bit far on the bossing people around, and I image some are going to get tired of that. I don't mind him so far.

Janelle is a BIG trouble maker. She is playing a pretty good game, however...even if she is totally evil.

Everyone in the house needs to stop the drama and start remembering that they are playing a game.

Right now my favorite is Howie...'cause he just cracks me up! What a goof! And he planted quite a kiss on Beau!!

Them's my thoughts. All in all, a pretty fun episode!

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2005, 12:26:13 PM »

PS: Kaysar has been trying his darndest to keep Michael out of trouble, but to no avail!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2005, 01:05:44 PM »

Is this how it's going to be all day?

We haven't even hit 60 posts by Noon?  No page 3 -- and it's after 1 p.m.????

We were at page 3 at 8 a.m. yesterday.

What am I?  BK all of a sudden?

I need to get a grip on myself.

Whoa!  There I am.  

Owwww...!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 01:06:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2005, 01:06:49 PM »

I have not been watching BIG BROTHER, but I have been reading the summaries that are provided the day after each broadcast.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2005, 01:08:28 PM »

RENO 911! had a very off night last night. I didn't get around to it until lunchtime today, but I think this was probably the lamest show they've had this season. Very disappointed in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2005, 01:10:10 PM »

I finally finished up BENT today. I started it last week, and then put it away since I wasn't in the mood for its somber story. I was pleased that it remained almost totally faithful to the play apart from the tune for "Streets of Berlin" and some tinkering with some early scenes.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2005, 01:12:58 PM »

I put in SHARK TALE to give me a complete change of pace when I go back downstairs to watch more DVDs.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2005, 01:15:02 PM »

On the DVR front, I still have the Greenstreet-Lorre THE VERDICT to watch as well as 21 GRAMS.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »

Ah, DR Matthew, at last we see an avatar for you. Thanks for letting us see whom we're talking to.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2005, 01:20:21 PM »

Yes, I saw the announcement of James Doohan's passing when I logged onto AOL just a bit ago. When I pull out my STAR TREK TV episodes to watch one occasionally, I always have enjoyed his contributions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up