Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POWER OF JUNE  (Read 11521 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: THE POWER OF JUNE
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2023, 05:44:00 AM »

THREE.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2023, 05:47:46 AM »

Whee.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2023, 05:47:58 AM »

Wee
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2023, 05:48:13 AM »

We
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2023, 05:48:19 AM »

Oui
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2023, 05:48:30 AM »

All the way home
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2023, 05:49:42 AM »

Things I miss doing:

Going into a record store and thumbing through all the new and used soundtracks to find a treasure.

Going into a video store and perusing new and old releases.

Yes, my fingers do the "going" nowadays at discogs.com or amazon.com or whatever other service site I may find myself being directed toward...but none of it matches the pleasure of browsing and looking at what other people are finding fascinating.

Agree. I found some of the oddest items in my collection that way. Local cast recordings of original musicals.

I am pretty sure I regaled everyone with this story, but I have never had a better shopping experience than one I had in London in 1983.  When I was a journalism instructor at Defense Information School, I was sent to a high-security Air Force base in Luton, north of London, to teach a three-day basics course in news and feature writing for volunteers who worked in the high-security area of the site.  Base journalists weren't allowed to go into those areas, so they needed someone within those sites who could write stories about unclassified things that impacted those security personnel.  That way, they could read about themselves in the base newspaper.

I wrangled two extra days for a trip to London where I hoped I'd find some great movie soundtracks (in 1983, there weren't a lot of options of finding some incredible re-releases that were hitting the specialty markets...not in Indianapolis, anyway).

I spent an entire day scouring London for record stores and found very little to satisfy my wants.  Tired and discouraged, I was only interested in getting back to my hotel.  To do that, I had to figure where I was in relation to the tube station at Trafalgar Square.

I stopped on a corner and consulted my street map.  I had to find where I was and then find where I should go for the station.

As I looked around, my eyes saw a window stenciled with "58 Dean Street...We Specialize in film soundtracks and theatrical recordings" or some similar wording.

I was practically numb as I walked over, went inside and beheld rows and rows of bins filled with records.

I pigged out. Bought 35 LPs..some of which I would never have believed I could get.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:34:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2023, 05:52:40 AM »

And I now bid you all adieu...until later in the day.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2023, 05:53:36 AM »

One might even say a parse is part and parcel of your life!

Just so long as there is a subject/verb/object juxtaposition.

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2023, 05:58:47 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2023, 05:59:41 AM »

I remember diagramming, and I remember that I liked it. Of course I couldn't do it now if my life depended on it. So I hope it doesn't.

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2023, 06:00:39 AM »

That record store in London sounds like something out of one those dreams you have that you practically cry when you wake up to the realization that it was, in fact, only a dream.

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2023, 06:03:24 AM »

Well, it doesn't feel like a Friday to ME. Not after Tuesday and Wednesday feeling like Monday and Tuesday. No, sir. Just the opposite for me. Today now feels like a Wednesday, and the thought that tomorrow is, in fact, Friday just feels completely wrong.

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2023, 06:04:12 AM »

So maybe it's finally happened.

They've messed with the days so much that it really IS different days in different parts of the country.

Yep, I think that's what's happened.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2023, 06:11:34 AM »

Wut?
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2023, 06:11:46 AM »

As the kids are saying these days.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2023, 06:11:54 AM »

I think.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2023, 06:11:59 AM »

My union pension arrived this morning in my bak account. I just paid my bills and there is no more money in my account.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2023, 06:13:37 AM »

The book for Encores! production of Once Upon a Mattress is getting a "woke" revisal script. WTF? Why bother to do it?

I was looking forward to this since Joshie and I are restoring the score.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2023, 06:16:09 AM »

That's exciting news, DR elmore3003!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2023, 06:17:03 AM »

I think Winifred is a better fit for Sutton than Marian was.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2023, 06:34:01 AM »

I'm already sick of "woke" revisions to existing works, and I fear we have only entered the era of that.

If you don't like or approve of something old, just don't do it. Get new material. Write your own. And if it sells, fine. If it doesn't, you took the same risk as every other artist in history.

ChasSmith

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2023, 06:34:29 AM »

But that being said, I am VERY happy to hear that the Clayton-Moore team will be back at it! 

ChasSmith

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2023, 06:37:49 AM »

Sadly, I will probably not bother to spend any bucks going to the Lincoln Center revisal of Camelot, something I would otherwise have jumped at in a heartbeat. I've read so many descriptions and reviews of Sorkin's changes to the book that I don't believe I could sit through it without audibly gagging. In spite of the gorgeous (mostly) original score being played by that orchestra. I'll just have to settle for checking out the cast recording. And maybe this one will get a telecast, who knows.

ChasSmith

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2023, 06:40:46 AM »

Why do I feel like we all ate our fill of pizza yesterday?   :D

ChasSmith

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2023, 06:41:40 AM »

Thus far, I have eaten (1) banana and (1) slice of toast with orange marmalade, and I'm on my second cup of joe.

Edit:  I nixed the capitalization of joe, believing that to be correct since one is not referring to anyone with that proper-noun name.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 06:44:52 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2023, 06:47:21 AM »

I must leave at noon for a rehearsal, then again at 6:30 in the p.m. for a brief concert. Well, my part is brief, I'm only accompanying two songs. It'll be relaxing and enjoyable to just sit there for the rest.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2023, 06:48:49 AM »

Here I sit in the very nice waiting room of my allergy clinic. Surprise! Surprise!  My appt. Was for 10:40. And not 10.  Will be waiting about an hour.  This s is what I get for not paying close attention to my appt. calendar.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2023, 06:50:23 AM »

That record store in London sounds like something out of one those dreams you have that you practically cry when you wake up to the realization that it was, in fact, only a dream.

Happily, it was real!  Still have all those LPs!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2023, 06:53:22 AM »

I remember diagramming, and I remember that I liked it. Of course I couldn't do it now if my life depended on it. So I hope it doesn't.

Doesn’t.  I remember parsing very complex sentences on exams.  The only exams I ever enjoyed other than spelling quizzes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up