Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAKE PADS  (Read 20602 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BRAKE PADS
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 07:08:20 AM »

Last night DR Dan (the Man) wrote:  "Speaking of Tony Awards--I know I've mentioned this many times here but I'll mention it again:  I own Alexis Smith's Tony Award for Follies.  I bought it on eBay.  It's missing its base.  Until I think of a nice way to display it, I'll keep it in a velvet pouch in my sock drawer."

If you've mentioned it, I have either forgotten or didn't see the post because this was a most pleasant surprise to me. But, if it's missing its base (where the recipient's name is supposedly engraved), how can you be sure it's hers? Is her name on the back, too, or is there a reference number that autheticates it?

Like DR JRand, I'd love to see a picture of it too.

As for the base, I know Barbara Cook's Tony (which was awarded before they started installing them on bases) has been mounted on a base for her, so I'm sure it could be remounted. If you know the name of the award company that manufactures the awards (it might be listed in a Tony program I have), I'm sure you could pay to have it put back on a base.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 07:15:28 AM »

Jose, I am so jealous that you went to Musical Monday at Splash last night.  I love Musical Mondays and have been trying to get Rodzinski to come with me to check it out.  Let us know if you want company the next time you go.

How 'bout an HHW gathering on Monday, October 3?  Danise will already be in town, I think, and my flight is due in at 12:30pm.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 07:19:43 AM »

Oh, my. An HHW gathering at a "special interest establishment" Jose, what have you started  ;)

Actually, it could be a lot of fun, and Jose and Jason could run interference for any "indecent proposals" offered to Rodzinski  ;) ;) There's no nudge smiley so I can't continue.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 07:27:19 AM »

Off to work now...bye
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 07:36:27 AM »

Last night DR Dan (the Man) wrote:  "Speaking of Tony Awards--I know I've mentioned this many times here but I'll mention it again:  I own Alexis Smith's Tony Award for Follies.  I bought it on eBay.  It's missing its base.  Until I think of a nice way to display it, I'll keep it in a velvet pouch in my sock drawer."

If you've mentioned it, I have either forgotten or didn't see the post because this was a most pleasant surprise to me. But, if it's missing its base (where the recipient's name is supposedly engraved), how can you be sure it's hers? Is her name on the back, too, or is there a reference number that autheticates it?

Like DR JRand, I'd love to see a picture of it too.

As for the base, I know Barbara Cook's Tony (which was awarded before they started installing them on bases) has been mounted on a base for her, so I'm sure it could be remounted. If you know the name of the award company that manufactures the awards (it might be listed in a Tony program I have), I'm sure you could pay to have it put back on a base.

Ms. Smith's name, along with the award category and the name of the show, is beautifully engraved on the back of the medallion.  A friend who has worked as a professional engraver has looked at it and said that it is the work of a master engraver.  The medallion has been verified as being silver.  Plus,  the idea that anyone would go to such lenghts to counterfit such an item seems far fetched.  So I'm pretty confident that it is the real thing.

Early on, I made a phone call to the American Theatre Wing office seeking a way to get some definate authentication.  I left my name and number, but they never returned my call.  I decided not to pursue it with them because I became afraid that they might choose to get possessive over it.

I'll take a pic of it tonight when I get home.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2005, 07:41:29 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

MBarnum: Of course I'll see you at the Courts show, and of course you can purchase your Guy Haines CD at that time.  The recently-mentioned Colleen Gray will be there, too.  And whilst you're on Holt in the center of Los Angeles, you will be right around the corner (literally) from Sherbourne Drive, the street that Benjamin Kritzer grew up on.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2005, 07:42:30 AM »

DR MBarnum, please extend my best wishes to Ms. Marcia Mae Jones. She was a very talented child actress who had the unfortunate luck to be born into an era overrun with child stars. In another era, she might have become a big star herself.

To me, she showed her total versatility as a good girl in HEIDI and a bitch in THE LITTLE PRINCESS.

Did she stay in the business or retire early and do something else with her life?

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2005, 07:48:43 AM »

Well, if I have some time to kill before or after breakfast with Carolyn then perhaps I will take a drive down Sherbourne.

I will even snap some photos!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2005, 07:49:44 AM »

DR Michael Shayne, was the Oscar as heavy as you expected it to be? One of the things that people often say about them is that they're heavier than expected.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 07:50:35 AM »

And it looks like Ms. Colleen Gray will not be in attendance due to her health  :'(

I was looking forward to  meeting her.

George "Commando Cody" Wallace was originally scheduled also, but he passed away this week.

And Kim Richards is no longer scheduled  :-\

But you never know who might show up unannounced!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2005, 07:54:08 AM »

Wallace has not been looking good at the last couple of shows, and seemed particularly out of it at the last one.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 07:58:47 AM »

Bad ANNIE:

Annie: Queen Latifah
Daddy Warbucks: Ben Stiller
Miss Hannigan: Katie Holmes
Rooster: (as always) Mickey Rooney
Lily: Angela Lansbury
FDR: Neil Patrick Harris
Grace: Glynis Johns

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:24 AM »

Supposed to get over 100 today, and there are constant warnings on TV about the dangerous ozone levels outside today. BIG banner headline about the danger of the stagnant air today, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 08:03:46 AM »

DR D (t-M), I will look in the Tony Playbill and see if there is any information about the trophy company.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a GREAT treasure. One wonders how things like this fall into the hands of non-family members.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2005, 08:03:52 AM »

Some lovely Annie casts.

Just looked over the Ray Courts list - an interesting group, but not one of the stronger shows.  Someone nobody's mentioned is the person I'd like to see the most - Shirley Eaton, the divoon Goldfinger girl (and star of many Brit films).  Also, there are several interesting folks who will only be there on Sunday, like pretty Lynn Holly Johnson.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2005, 08:05:12 AM »

Since I'm anticipating the second season of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW to arrive tomorrow, I don't want to get into any lengthy DVDs today, so I'll probably watch some STAR TREK episodes to fill out today's viewing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2005, 08:12:02 AM »

Today is National Coffee Milkshake Day!

(Obviously more of historical interest these days than anything else, what with lattes and frappacinos being the current rage.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 08:12:04 AM »

Just made those calls to our guests who had played Unseemly Trivia on Sunday to tell them the Unseemly answers.  Someone had guessed Columbo, but when we googled got a character bio on tvacres.com that said Thomas Mitchell had played the character on Broadway.  Unfortunately, we didn't check further on the ibdb.  But it was just one of dozens of guesses, so we were ruling legendary characters out at the slightest provocation.  The silliest one was the idea someone raised that maybe Carol Burnett had made Norma Desmond even more legendary than she was in the movie. :)

BTW, the way DR Robert Armin's name came up on google was when I had made my first stab in the dark and entered the combination of "inspector clouseau" and tryout as my google search.   There was DR Robert Armin's name in the very first little squib, only curiously without the DR in front of it.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 08:13:36 AM »

Oh, my. An HHW gathering at a "special interest establishment" Jose, what have you started  ;)

Actually, it could be a lot of fun, and Jose and Jason could run interference for any "indecent proposals" offered to Rodzinski  ;) ;) There's no nudge smiley so I can't continue.
I'm sure that Rodzinski will be happy to have your support.

And in my experience Splash is usually a little less "special interest" on Mondays than on other nights.

Jason

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2005, 08:15:58 AM »

I've never been to Splash on Musical Mondays or any other night of the week. I've been to Posh - that's not so bad. Jose and I would be happy to keep the hounds at bay for DR Rodzinski.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »

Glad to read that you're some better, DR Jason. Continued good wishes for a quick recovery.

Seems like winter is the proper time for a cold/flu, not summer. The hot weather must make it twice as miserable.

Feel better.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2005, 08:25:13 AM »

Just boxed up another amazon order - they've been coming in pretty regularly, which is a good sign, I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2005, 08:25:51 AM »

I was just hurrying and getting ready to leave for my LACC meeting, when I realized it's at ten, not nine.  Senility isn't pretty.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2005, 08:30:54 AM »

BK, what is the address on Sherbourne that I should look for?

FJL

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2005, 08:32:24 AM »

Regarding ANNIE casts, I had done a research paper in college for a class on The Great Depression, and the professor inexplicably (and happily) allowed me to do my paper on the musical ANNIE.  (I also managed to convince my professor in a graduate-level Urban Economics class to let me do my term paper on Urban Economic Themes in SWEENEY TODD, EVITA and ANNIE, so I got to recycle my ANNIE research, but that's the kind of education I got!)  

In my ANNIE research, I had run across a picture of an absolutely legit mock-up poster showing that at one point, in a presumably more campy version, Bernadette Peters was actually being talked about to play Little Orphan Annie in the musical version.        

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2005, 08:32:42 AM »

Shirley Eaton might be interesting to meet, and Lucianna Paluzzi (sp) also.

And of course there are usually a few dozen celebs that show up that aren't on the official list...so who knows who might be there...Gregg Palmer often does that...I am hoping he does it this time, cause I would like to meet him!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2005, 08:40:08 AM »

ANNIE: The "Your Son Will Come Out Tomorrow" Edition

Annie: Ellen DeGeneres
FDR: Harvey Fierstein (a walk-on role, but a good one)
Grace Farrell: Lea DeLauria
Lily St. Regis: Rosie O'Donnell
Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks: Gary Beach (Victor Garber said "No, not again")
Rooster Hannigan: Tommy Tune (Tim Curry said "No, not again")
and Miss Hannigan: the ubiquitous Nathan Lane.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2005, 08:46:37 AM »

The address is 1772.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2005, 08:57:33 AM »

I guess Jose didn't see my question of yesterday.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2005, 08:58:20 AM »

So I come back to my office from a deadly dull meeting, and what should I find upon my desk but a lovely package from Kritzerland.  I am going to have to have words with our mail room--the package is postmarked 7/16, shipped first class and has USPS Delivery Confirmation, but it's been sitting in our mail room for a week!  Heads will roll, I vow.

Anyway, I now have New Guy In Town, After The Ball and Jeepers Creepers to keep me aurally occupied for the next few days.  I will upload to myPod at once.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up