News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TLC  (Read 23506 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TLC
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:03:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, they were filled with TLC and ennui, not necessarily in that order, you've fought vainly the old ennui and also the young ennui, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're spreading TLC (Twenty Large Cowdroppings) and then they'll be home.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 12:04:43 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TLC
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRANSMOGRIFY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:11:32 AM »

TLC is one of my favourite Jimmie Rodgers songs (1960).
Transmogrify - Ah! the magic of Harry Potter.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 12:16:59 AM »

Recording session(s): "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts club Band" or "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

The recording of "The Stephen Schwartz Album" would have been magic too.

Of course I realise that all these were done in a number of sessions but "magic" is about.

The recording of the original cast of "Follies" would have been a good place to be IF I had the influence to get them to record the whole show.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 12:22:53 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:32:07 AM »

I'd be right there with you, Tomovoz at the Follies recording...and hopefully adding influence!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 12:33:24 AM »

I'd also love to have been at the recordings of:

Gypsy (actually, it'd be pretty cool to have been at ALL of the different recordings)
Nine (the original complete cast recording)

And how about at Thomas Edison's very first recording session!  THAT would've been an event! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 12:34:52 AM »

And the recording session(s) to The Manhattan Transfer's very first (self-titled) album!  And "Extensions," which was Cheryl Bentyne's first recording with the group.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 12:40:17 AM »

I'd probably like to have been around for the Elvis Sun sessions.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 12:51:21 AM »

I'd like to have been at the Gypsy and Follies sessions, just for fun.  But I would LOVE to have been at the Bill Evans Conversations with Myself sessions.  That would have been something.  

Other sessions I would love to have attended: The To Kill a Mockingbird Elmer Bernstein sessions - just to see the reaction of everyone hearing that music for the first time wedded to the images.

The Richard Harris/Jimmy Webb sessions for A Tramp Shining.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 01:46:13 AM »

I shall be going to see Mr Jimmy Webb Sept 7th. (With DR OzDerek and DP Colin).
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 02:06:10 AM »

Good morning, DRTomovoz!  4:30 is too early for anyone to be up, but my body is shouting "Finish the damned show!" so here I am.  I've got the longest musical number in the history of mankind, and it's taking forever to score.  I'm also thinking about some of the underscoring and thinking I should go back and rewrite a bit.  The curse of neuroses.

TOD:  
I've always wondered why in the 1956 CANDIDE OBC recording, the Old Lady and Cunegonde sing in the Governor's Serenade "My Love"  since isn't published as such in the original vocal score and original libretto.   Maybe I'd learn the answer at the session?

Also, the recording of the cast album for Julie Andrews' CINDERELLA, for Russell Bennett, Rodgers & Hammerstein, at that amazing cast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 02:29:30 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore. At Cinderella session you good find out if the glass flipper sits.
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 03:46:42 AM »

Hmm..I don't think I've ever been alone on the board in all the four days I've been posting here.  

Well, for me today, TLC stands for the Tax Legislative Counsel, since I'm off to a full-day seminar called "Closely Held and Flow-Through Entities Conference" - but I will be going in a cab courtesy of the Taxi & Limousine Commission (also TLC).

Closely held sounds more sexy than it is, but there should be interesting people there.  I'm going to hear all the new rules about TRANSMOGRIFYING one's little business into a vast empire, too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:52:01 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 03:50:11 AM »

Today's also the birthday of one of my best friends, and I let him know in advance that he'll be getting the "After the Ball" CD as one of his presents.  He was seriously very pleased.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 03:54:26 AM »

A very quick good morning to all!  

Hi to Jane  :o  What are YOU doing up?!

Hi to FJL, hope you enjoy your class.

Have a GREAT day!

Can't stay, gotta run for the bus!

:D :) :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 03:59:10 AM »

Danise,  I agree, what am I doing up! :o  

I'm going to see if I can go back to sleep now.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 04:13:22 AM »

At the moment, waiting until we have new kitchen and stereo cabinets, our CD’s have been packed away.  I don’t even know where Keith put them.  I should find out so I can transfer a few into my car.  Bruce, I’m sorry to say, until I have a new CD player I won’t be purchasing any CD’s.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 04:35:32 AM »

Sitting here with a large iced coffee as we are supposed to have a record hot day. At 6:30 when I left the apartment it was already 80 degrees and with approximately 75 to 80% humidity it will feel like 100-105.

I'm listening to Elaine Page on BBC Radio 2 (her weekly show) and she's playing selections from Carousel. Being in the studio for either that show or Oklahoma would have been sweet. There are many other shows I would like to have seen. Even though I've seen the Pennybaker film I would have loved to have been present at the Company recording, especially the Elaine Stritch sequence.

More later.

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 04:37:50 AM »

Good morning DR's Michael and Ben.  Have a safe day.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »

Same to you Dear Friend (a She Loves Me reference)

Michael

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 04:42:02 AM »

Why thank you Tom.

TOD

Not as easy as it sounds.

But maybe one of sessions where  Guy Haine recorded a song and where I could have catch a glimpse what he looks like.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 04:52:47 AM »

There are many other shows I would like to have seen. Even though I've seen the Pennybaker film I would have loved to have been present at the Company recording, especially the Elaine Stritch sequence.

You would have met my goddaughter's mother Dona there; she was in the Vocal Minority.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 04:53:30 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 05:27:05 AM »

Belated Good Wishes to you, DR ELMORE!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 05:28:41 AM »

A big summery typhoon was supposed to hit Tokyo last late night. But it avoided me and has gone away losing its power.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 05:29:09 AM »

Belated congratulations on your new role, DR JED!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 05:36:26 AM »

I missed the impromptu Music Man jam last night, but I'll take the opportunity to add...

She made brazen overtures to a man who never had a friend in this town till she came here
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2005, 05:37:37 AM »

A big summery typhoon was supposed to hit Tokyo last late night. But it avoided me and has gone away losing its power.

It obviously knew better than to mess with you, DR Hisaka. :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2005, 05:43:29 AM »

TOD:  I immediately thought of being at one of the Beatles' sessions.  Were they all in the studio together for Sgt Pepper?  That would be my first choice.  And the White Album would be interesting to see the stress and strife happening amid the laying of tracks.

It's just occurred to me that I don't have a single Beatles song on myPod.  I'll have to rectify that this week.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2005, 05:55:42 AM »

FOLLIES would be have been nice to see.  So would MUSIC MAN.

From the documentary I've seen, COMPANY was fascinating but a little intense.

Actually, the sessions for JEEPERS CREEPERS would have been fum.

Or even fun.
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 05:58:41 AM »

BALLLLLLZAC!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up