Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GIRDING MY LOINS  (Read 23040 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:GIRDING MY LOINS
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2005, 08:21:19 PM »

There I was sitting comfortably watching THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW when it dawned on me I hadn't done my laundry (Sunday is always laundry day here). So, up I sprang out of the chair to get that started. I was folding during QUEER AS FOLK.

I really couldn't believe it had slipped my mind all day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2005, 08:25:48 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the play reading...

WOW!

That was some serious sh*t!!

And I mean that in a good way.  A very good play.

And it was a reading of a play by the book writer for the musical I'm working on, Joshua Scher.  The play is called Marvel.  It focuses on two people: a man and a woman.  The man is in a Spiderman outfit.  The woman is a cop.  And they're sitting on top of the Brooklyn Bridge.

...That's all I want to say about it right now, except that it was funny, thought-provoking and moving.  Sometimes all at once.

What a great way to spend my first evening in Williamstown.

:)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 08:27:19 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2005, 08:26:11 PM »

Poster art and Page 5 dance . . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »

I see from the forecast that our temperatures are going to be creeping back up over the next week and by the time I leave for my trip, it's going to be near-90 again. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2005, 08:32:34 PM »

That BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY ad whets my appetite for the Astaire-Rogers movies coming out in two weeks. BARJLEYS is part of the package (though not their best outing).

I guess I like SWING TIME the most followed by TOP HAT. But most of them have one or two numbers that are sterling.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2005, 08:32:34 PM »

As DR Rodzinksi mentioned, there was a virtual treasure trove of books and copies of music sitting in his building's foyer.  The folder of xeroxes was/is quite varied.  Here's just  sampling: "The Sadder But Wiser Girl" from The Music Man; the audition side for "If I Can't Love Her" from Beauty & The Beast; a song from Hallelujah, Baby! (it was cut from the production I recently played); a couple of Frank Loesser movie songs; "In A Simple Way I Love You" from I'm Getting My Act Together...; and "In His Eyes" from Jekyll & Hyde to name just a few.

I also snagged two Anne Rice books - including "The Vampire Lestat" (which could come in handy as research for a possible future project ;)); and a book on acting in period plays (Shakespeare, Restoration dramas, etc.).  Quite the varied selection of books.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2005, 08:33:51 PM »

Yes, I've sometimes found treasures rooting through others' castoffs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2005, 08:34:44 PM »

OH!

And after a drink at Monkey Bar, we went down the street for some Indian food.  And then I treated DRs Rodzinksi and TPunk to ice cream and gelato at Yummilicious around the corner.  -Well, technically, the Indian restaurant treated all of us to ice cream...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2005, 08:35:36 PM »

And we've gotten past the all-time low, so that's also one thing not to have to worry about.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2005, 08:36:56 PM »

I had cereal for dessert tonght. Ice cream sounds better, but I had my portion on Friday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2005, 08:37:18 PM »

As for movie posters...

I'm actually trying to think of any decent movie posters from "my generation".  Any poster "artwork" that does come to mind seems to be a still from the movie, or the lead actor and/or actress head on or in profile.

Hmmm...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2005, 08:46:13 PM »

I just read that with this weekend's grosses, THE WAR OF THE WORLDS has become Tom Cruise's highest grossing movie ever (figures not adjusted for inflation).

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2005, 08:47:39 PM »

And I meant to add that I still haven't seen it. The theater down the street has finally gotten BATMAN BEGINS so I may be taking that in at some point early this week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2005, 08:53:26 PM »

I had cereal for dessert tonght. Ice cream sounds better, but I had my portion on Friday.

Well...  And this is coming from the child of a dietitian... So, take it for it's worth...

Anything you eat past 7:00 or 8:00 in the evening is basically just calories.  Unless you happen to stay up until the wee hours of the morning, all that food will simply be digesting while you sleep.  Yes, there are still vitamins and minerals involved, but it's basically calories.  *Unlike food you eat during the day which serves more as fuel - you burn it off while you're awake (walking, running, doing chores, etc.).

I sometimes like a bowl of cereal for dessert myself.  However, check that label on the cereal box!  Sometimes a standard serving of cereal can actually have more calories than an actual portion of ice cream.

Additionally, eating anything that "dense" a food before bed can sometimes cause one not to sleep so well since your body is working harder to break it all down than it would if it were something "simpler"- like ice cream.  Or Jell-o.  Or pudding.  *Which is why they serve ice cream, Jell-o, pudding, etc., as the evening snack at hospitals.  It's just enough food to tide one over until the morning, and since they're "simpler" and "less dense", they have less a chance of interrupting one's sleep.

*And one of the easiest ways to lose a few pounds is to simply not eat past 7:00 in the evening.  However, that is usually very hard to do - or not do - especially in the "theatuh" due to the crazy nature of the schedule.  By not eating past 7:00, you force your body to start using your stored energy -a.k.a. fat - while you sleep.  Otherwise, it's just using the calories from the ice cream, cookies, cereal, slice of pizza, etc., you just ate to fuel you until you wake up in the morning.

So...

Have the ice cream!

*Besides, ice cream is truly only good for about three or four days after opening the carton...  -At least that's my reasoning.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2005, 08:56:19 PM »

Well, the ice cream is Healthy Choice, so . . . .

:D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2005, 09:05:39 PM »

Rodzinski, I actually managed to get out to a day game at Dodger Stadium last week to see the Reds beat the Dodgers...always an enjoyable occasion.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2005, 09:10:21 PM »

Well, time for me to call it a night. I'll leave it to late night East Coasters and West Coasters to go from here.

Good night.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2005, 09:13:25 PM »

Well, the ice cream is Healthy Choice, so . . . .

:D

Like I said....

Have the Ice Cream!!

Essen gut!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2005, 09:18:22 PM »

...OH!... And the campus of Williams College is simply beautiful.  And it basically comprises the "downtown" of Williamstown, MA.

Spring Street is the main street here - post office, restaurants, shops, etc.  And it's only a five minute walk from my dorm.  And, surprisingly, there's supposedly decent Thai and Indian restaurants.

And it's raining here tonight.  There was quite a downpour during the play reading earlier, and it's still drizzling and misty outside right now.  But it's a nice drizzle and mist.  And it's very cool too.  Should be a good night for sleeping.

*And best of all, I don't have rehearsal until 3:00 tomorrow afternoon!  However, I'll most likely be at a piano for a few hours in the morning getting more notes under my fingers and melodies in my head.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2005, 09:49:39 PM »

Shayne: Yes, it was my idea - it took me a day or two to figure it out.  Larry did the orchestration.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2005, 09:51:48 PM »

Hmm...

Just saw this on Playbill.com...

How I Got to Broadway: The Untold Story of the Battles, Wins & Losses On Stage & Off of Mark Schoenfeld

Is this something I really want to see?

And who's going to produce it?  And take another possible loss?

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2005, 10:14:49 PM »

I just got back home. I left myself logged on here and my internet on, but I wasn't really here. Sorry 'bout that.

Just checked that email Elmore. Will have to discuss, but that sounds cool.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »

Out at Don't Tell Mama's, it was quite a fun night. After playing coy, TPunk got up and sang "Crazy". And the accompanist was like, "You wanna do 'Crazy'?" Like maybe he thought it was out of her league, but she knocked it out of the park, and he saluted her, and we were all proud of her.

There were a couple other talented folks singing. One lady did "50 Percent" which was nice because I needed to erase the memory of Suzanne Somers' from a week ago. And there was one drunk girl who was singing along too loud to other people's songs, I mean literally stepping all over one waitress's singing of "Adelaide's Lament."

The Scarlett Street fellas gave us a ride all the way home, and that was cool since we live at the top of Manhattan.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2005, 10:25:03 PM »

Rodzinski, I actually managed to get out to a day game at Dodger Stadium last week to see the Reds beat the Dodgers...always an enjoyable occasion.

Someday, perhaps the Pirates and Reds will compete at the top of the division like in days of yore.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2005, 10:28:25 PM »

After a slow start, 6 pages is within reach, oh yes, a 6th page is within reach.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2005, 10:38:47 PM »

But it will have to be achieved by someone other than me. For it is late here on the East Coast of the USA.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2005, 10:53:08 PM »

But it will have to be achieved by someone other than me. For it is late here on the East Coast of the USA.

Do I sense a challenge?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2005, 10:55:59 PM »

Ah... Listening to some Bach - The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1.  Andras Schiff... Great recordings.

-Although, sometimes the clarity of his voicings in the fugues is actually a little clear... My mind will start picking up on all the details... And just start to overload with a sense of awe, more or less.

However, it's still some quite beautiful playing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2005, 10:59:23 PM »

Thanks to the kindness of DR George I am listening to Janis Siegel. Her rendition of "Sorry-Grateful" is terrific.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 11:04:40 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2005, 11:00:06 PM »

I actually went ahead an unpacked my luggage.  I figure since I'm here for three weeks, I might as well get comfortable.

I think the only "bad thing" about the living arrangements here, is that for every six dorm rooms, there is one bathroom.  Each bathroom has one stall and one(!) shower.  I asked around earlier, and, apparently, it's first come-first showered.  We'll see how things operate come morning.

-Oh, and the floors are co-ed - at least right now they are, so... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up