Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN  (Read 33342 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2003, 07:32:30 PM »

I am wearing a black velvet skirt and a crushed velvet shirt with red and orange floral pattern.  It has pretty bell sleeves.  I have no idea why I'm dressed up.  I just felt like it today.

Swishy--Anastasia sounds soooo adorable.  Picturing a cute little girl dancing to YMCA was just cracking me up.  How long is it going to be though before Cousin Sarah gets her addicted to Thoroughly Modern Millie and Hairspray though!

François :P--On the Chicago DVD, they also have an option for French language.  Do you know if this translation is the same as the new stage version?

ça, c'est le jazz!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 07:34:52 PM by Maya »

Michael

« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2003, 07:38:06 PM »

I am wearing a black velvet skirt and a crushed velvet shirt with red and orange floral pattern.  It has pretty bell sleeves.  I have no idea why I'm dressed up.  I just felt like it today.

Swishy--Anastasia sounds soooo adorable.  Picturing a cute little girl dancing to YMCA was just cracking me up.  How long is it going to be though before Cousin Sarah gets her addicted to Thoroughly Modern Millie and Hairspray though!

Francois :P--On the Chicago DVD, they also have an option for French language.  Do you know if this translation is the same as the new stage version?

ça, c'est le jazz!

Maya the French dub in Quebec is different from the French dub used in France. The translator who did the work in Quebec will also be doing it France but it will be a different translation. Most of the DVD offered in Quebec are the English version with the alternate French track and the DVD artwork is slightly different. If a DvD release is Quebec does not have a Frencha alternate tarck then a special edition is made. But it is interesting to note that my Franciohone friends who are bilingual prefer to see the original English language version as opposed to a dubbed version.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 07:39:09 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2003, 07:48:35 PM »

MDS--thanks for the explanation!  I didn't understand all of the French track on the Chicago DVD by any means, but I didn't think it was bad from what I was able to pick up.  There IS always room for improvement though!

Can I just say that I am always very impressed by your knowledge?

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2003, 07:49:42 PM »

Thank you to the Karma Fairy!

I wonder if the Karma Fairy now works for the God of HHW!  :P

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2003, 07:49:44 PM »

Friday evening there was an unexpected phone call...from an improv troupe that's not employed my services since the mid-nineties!  I figured they must have been really desparate to have remembered my name.  They obviously have a long list of people they call, and, with short notice, everyone above me on that list had said no.

I told them they weren't offering enough money to pique my interest, and, surprisingly, they said "How much WOULD make it worth your while?"  So, I merrily cancelled plans to go to a dinner party in Harlem and hit the road for an unheard of town in New Jersey.

We pulled up to find a locked theatre.  But our contact was there, and he'd already called the police.  That's right: He was going to convince the police to unlock the theatre, which appeared to be part of a high school.  It seated about 1000 and had a lovely grand piano for me to play.  The audience, from the look of them, was far beyond high school: Nobody under 60.

I can't say we did a very good show, but being with the cast of four and the stage manager for those 8 hours wasn't trying or unpleasant.  I had a good enough time, and bid them a fond farewell: "We'll have to do this again... in 2009."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

François

« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2003, 07:57:07 PM »

DR Maya,

I have seen Chicago -- the film -- both in French and in English.
For the French version did keep the songs in English with the translation in subtitles which were the same for the English version.

The French lyrics are very clever but I doubt that they match the music and I'm quite convinced that the French stage version is totally different lyricwise.

For the dvds, as far as I know, most of the French dubbed films shown in Canada are the ones adapted here in France.

François

« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2003, 08:00:34 PM »

All That Jazz! should be translated as
"Et Tout l'tra la la!" in French!
Very colloquial!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #277 on: November 16, 2003, 08:01:41 PM »

Thanks, François!  All this talk of Chicago has made me want to watch it again.

Alas, I have to go and write my Whitman paper.  I've only procrastinated all day!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2003, 08:10:31 PM »

The very first recording of Gypsy that I ever had was Angela Lansbury’s recording.  I fell in love with her and with the score because of that, so it will always have a special place in my heart.  I have all the other recordings except for Bernadette’s...yet.  Even if she's wrong for the part, I still want to have the CD.

Did you have the UK release or the US remixed version?

The only differences were  a different take of Some people and tap dancing added to All I Need Is a Girl

I have the US version.  RCA Victor 60571-2-RG.  I just listened to "All I Need Is the Girl" and it has tap dancing on it...assuming that the UK version had NO tap dancing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 08:15:35 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2003, 08:15:35 PM »

I want to thank everyone for their graciousness today, and for sharing karma and being good-natured in my push toward breaking the 500-post barrier to see what was "beyond."

It's very roomy up here.  So y'all start posting, get your fourth and fifth stars, and I'll start decorating for the party.

HHW I’m in awe of you.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #280 on: November 16, 2003, 08:18:33 PM »

Unless I missed it, we have not had any report from either Ann or Jed regarding their trip to Seattle last night to see She Loves Me.  Do you think, perhaps, they ran off together?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #281 on: November 16, 2003, 08:22:29 PM »

Thanks alot, Ron God!  I was feeling so smug about becoming a Sr. Member, and then you had to go and become a deity.  Now, it seems like a long journey before I can ever reach Nirvana.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Andrea

« Reply #282 on: November 16, 2003, 08:32:36 PM »

Are you sure you talking about the entertainment book? Would you mind telling me which places you've had trouble with?

We've had trouble at a few of the sushi places, double pizza, donni and subways (depends on location) Subway's is one thing, but at the other, they always try to give you something for less, even if it's at the specific location.

Andrea

« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2003, 08:39:32 PM »

umm... noel....
Wide screen!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2003, 08:41:50 PM »

The Lansbury GYPSY LP was out of print here for many years, and I finally got the bright idea to order it from Dress Circle thinking maybe since it was a London cast album, it would be available there. It was, and I paid a steep price for it + shipping. It turned out to be the American remix version!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2003, 08:43:51 PM »

The public transport strike I told you all about a couple of weeks ago is officially going forward.

Starting tomorrow my life, and those of about 2 million other people, are going to REALLY REALLY suck. :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2003, 08:45:40 PM »

Did anyone else see the episode of COLD CASE tonight that concerned a gay bashing case in 1964. Beautifully told story with lots of truths about the way things were in the mid-1960s (I shed tears twice during the broadcast). Makes me realize how very lucky I am to be alive now.

Andrea

« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2003, 08:46:25 PM »

Let's see: If I had a million dollars I'd
a. buy a house
b. buy furniture for the house
c. buy a k-car
d. buy your love
e. build a tree fort in my yard
f. a fur coat (but not a real fur coat, that's cruel)
g. a green dress
h. a monkey (cause haven't I always wanted a monkey?)
i. and I'd buy some art.

Andrea

« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2003, 08:48:25 PM »

The public transport strike I told you all about a couple of weeks ago is officially going forward.

Starting tomorrow my life, and those of about 2 million other people, are going to REALLY REALLY suck. :(

They are going to mess up when I can make a hair appointment!

They must die!!!!!!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2003, 08:54:34 PM »

Note to DR Ron Pulliam: I have some catnip for Miss Vickie. Could you email your mailing address to me at DearReaderLaura@cs.com -- when we reloaded the computer I lost all the filed emails. In fact -- I lost everything! Everything? Everything!! (oh, a Moby Dick reference!)
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Emily

« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2003, 08:56:28 PM »

Let's see: If I had a million dollars I'd
[...]
i. and I'd buy some art.

a Picasso or a Garfunkle? :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Andrea

« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2003, 08:59:43 PM »

I find it amusing that Maya has more karma than bk.... the student surpassing the master?

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2003, 09:00:04 PM »

Knowing that there is still a couple of hours of good posting time left for those on the West Coast and beyond, I will leave it with you to break 300 posts and make bk a happy camper for sure!

See everyone around tomorrow, I hope.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2003, 09:02:09 PM »

Well well well.. I just had dessert and coffee with a HainesHisWay "celebrity" this evening... can anyone guess whose company I kept?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2003, 09:14:18 PM »

TCB  Sorry about the delay in review posting.  Jed and I had a wonderful time at She Loves Me.  The cast was made up primarily of professors and students of the professional acting school at University of Washington.  The show was very well cast, IMHO.  The acting was strong, and the singing was incredible.  Particularly pleasing to me was the fact that they did the entire show acoustically, with no mics.  The orchestra was placed on a platform above the stage and the audience had no trouble hearing the actors over it.  It was wonderful to see that the skills of projection and diction are not entirely lost in today's theatre world.  
One of my favorite parts of the show were the sets and costumes.  They were beautifuly coordinated with eath other. There were themes of pale pink for the shop and the customers.  Amalia and George had matching themes of blue in their costumes.  They were very tastefully done and worked beautifully.  DR Jed is always more critical than I, so I'll let him highlight any negative points he might have seen :)
Also, notice the sparkling new pic of Jed on his proflie...courtesy of me :)
I'm off to watching Finding Nemo with my dear friend Tiana

Emily

« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2003, 09:15:43 PM »

Craig, you DO like rubbing your glamourous life in, dontcha? :)

Kerry Butler? (first guess...)

Emily

« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2003, 09:17:53 PM »

but then again... does Ms. Butler count as a "HHW 'CELEBRITY'"?

why is the celebrity is quotation marks.... hmmm... is it code... is it a hint... is it fatigued/sugar-induced punctuation marks...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 09:18:11 PM by Emily »

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2003, 09:20:07 PM »

Nope.. not Kerry.. that was dinner the other night.. no.. this is a HHW "Celebrity"

Emily

« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2003, 09:22:04 PM »

see my next guess would be DR Jason but in that case you would have said a HHW DR and not "celebrity" (although I am not denying Jason's star qualities :) )

Craig it is simply TOO late for guessing games!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2003, 09:24:33 PM »

It's never too late to have guessing games on FREE FOR ALL SUNDAY - especially when we are only at post 299! Go on Em - take 300!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up