Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 32934 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2005, 10:41:02 AM »

It seems that in this Harry Potter book, there is a lot of back story stuff and things that really needed to be fleshed out that the author just touched on earlier in the series.  I find it interesting while others may find it boring

I found it quite interesting as well... I have developed a theory about Snape.. and now I'll have to wait another year or so to see if I'm right!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2005, 10:55:32 AM »

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books yet, but I have them all.  Should I read from the beginning (even though I've seen all the films), or should I read any out of sequence?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »

Go figure, I'm developing a sinus headache.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2005, 10:57:35 AM »

Yes, I have one banana.

I have one banana today.

I had two

I ate one

And now there is but one

Not more than just one left today.

Yes, I have one banana.

I have one banana today.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2005, 10:58:09 AM »

DR Ron, they are an easy read.  IMHO (that's internet lingo for...well, you know) just start at the very beginning.  I think it's important to do that because they are all connected.  But DO plan on reading them, they are fun, easy, and enjoyable.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »

Ciao-ders.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2005, 10:58:56 AM »

DR Ron, they are an easy read.  IMHO (that's internet lingo for...well, you know) just start at the very beginning.  I think it's important to do that because they are all connected.  But DO plan on reading them, they are fun, easy, and enjoyable.  

Thanks for the reccy, mate!

G'Day!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2005, 11:06:31 AM »

I would think from beginning to end would be the way to go, DR RLP.  

I have never read any of them, probably never will.  But it would seem that a series of books builds on each previous volume - even if they stand alone.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2005, 11:07:23 AM »

Since beginning PIPPIN, I have been reading a lot about Charles the Great aka Charlemagne....very interesting history there.  And he certainly lived up to his name.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jason

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2005, 11:09:26 AM »

I've heard that the very beginning is a very good place to start.

I've not read the Harry Potter books, either. I just don't have the interest, really. Is that wrong?

This 3:00 lunch business is for the birds. I'm starving!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2005, 11:09:51 AM »

Speaking od Scoundrels... I purchased a set of very good orchestra seatsfor my parents  (at a knockdown internet price) for the Wednesday matiness July 27 and then was very worried that they were being sold so cheaply because the "A" team was all planning vacations....but my folks said that the show was spectacular and there were no substitutions..  

My friend Joe Cassidy is standing by for Norbert Leo Butz, and friends tell me he's wonderful in it!  No ifs ands or butz.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »

I've just finished the work on THE GOILDEN APPLE; I have to prepare an errata sheet to send Mr Tunick, who's conducting the performance, and the Exit Music parts to copy out.  I returned home to find on my machine a message about working on  the Stephen Cole-Claibe Richardson GROSSINGER'S and news about the project for The Chicago Humanities Festival.  It's nice to know the work is still coming in.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2005, 11:21:13 AM »

I saw Gregory Jbara's understudy when I saw SCOUNDRELS in previews. He was very good. All the rest of the cast was in.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2005, 11:22:41 AM »

I found it quite interesting as well... I have developed a theory about Snape.. and now I'll have to wait another year or so to see if I'm right!

AT LEAST another year! ;) I'm guessing more, though.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2005, 11:44:39 AM »

Do, Re, Mi, Jason...Do, Re, Mi!   :-*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:45:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2005, 11:48:19 AM »

Ciao-ders.

I am liking this.  Very much.

I've been thinking that each of us needs our own little "buzzword."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2005, 11:51:38 AM »

RE: TOD. Influential movies and books and theatre.

Movies:  The Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies started me down a film and literary path that led me where I am today.

A little film I saw when I was twelve was THE LIGHT THAT FAILED.  It taught me that it was right for the hero to die in the end.

GUNGA DIN & THE MARK OF ZORRO stoked my appetite for adventure movies.

I remember my brother and I, when were we about eleven and twelve respectively, watching THE SEARCHERS over and over when it played about nine times over the summer.  We were aficianados long before all the auteurs jumped on the band wagon years 15-20 years later.

BOOKS: SHE by H. Rider Haggard. I first read it when I was twelve.  It's my favourite book.  I read it about every five years.  It stirs very deep waters. I have about thirty variant editions of this one book.

I've already mentioned what TARZAN started...in this case, a life-long book-collecting habit now represented by a library of about six thousand books.

In my forties, I discovered the dark historical novels of Henry Treece.  He's become one of my literary gods, right up there with Rider Haggard.

THEATRE:  I remember going to see HOSTILE WITNESS in the theatre with Ray Milland when I was sixteen or so.  This was a big deal.  Somewhere around the same time, I had heard MAN OF LA MANCHA on the radio and took it upon myself to go see it.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE:  Seeing terrific actors speak my lines on my first films, SIGN OF FOUR & HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, was thrilling.  Seeing a large billboard of PSYCHO III on the Sunset Strip with my name emblazoned on it made me run out, get a camera, and take pictures of it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:53:38 AM by Charles Pogue »

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books yet, but I have them all.  Should I read from the beginning (even though I've seen all the films), or should I read any out of sequence?

Definitely read them in order.  Concepts, words, people  and spells that become relevant in later books get introduced in earlier ones.

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »

Go figure, I'm developing a sinus headache.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~FEEL BETTER VIBES~~~~~~~~[/move]

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2005, 11:58:32 AM »

Thanks for the reccy, mate!

G'Day!

Have you been hanging out with Ozderek and Tomovoz?

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2005, 12:02:44 PM »

I've not read the Harry Potter books, either. I just don't have the interest, really. Is that wrong?

MUGGLE!!!!

;D

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2005, 12:04:12 PM »

My friend Joe Cassidy is standing by for Norbert Leo Butz, and friends tell me he's wonderful in it!  No ifs ands or butz.

Well maybe we'd better go kick Norbett in the shins and get Joe on stage!  (seems in keeping with the theme)

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »

I've just finished the work on THE GOILDEN APPLE; I have to prepare an errata sheet to send Mr Tunick, who's conducting the performance, and the Exit Music parts to copy out.  I returned home to find on my machine a message about working on  the Stephen Cole-Claibe Richardson GROSSINGER'S and news about the project for The Chicago Humanities Festival.  It's nice to know the work is still coming in.

Well when only the best will do....

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2005, 12:06:12 PM »

AT LEAST another year! ;) I'm guessing more, though.

I know... they may want the movies to catch up a bit.....

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2005, 12:09:34 PM »

This frenzy brought to you courtesy of Vixmom

provider of inane babble for home and office

Jed

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2005, 12:09:58 PM »

With no Charley's Aunt rehearsal on Thursday, Ann and I will be making a trip up to Seattle to see the pre-Broadway production of Princesses, starring the WSMA, Brent Barrett.

In the more immediate future, we're thrilled to have Boston Legal coming back to the ABC lineup tonight.  Funny, funny show, IMHO.  First network offering to interest us in the slightest since May's season finales.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2005, 12:13:46 PM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again... I am addicted to Ritz Chips.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2005, 12:15:25 PM »

TOD

Well, as I have mentioned many times in the past, my Mother started taking my sister and me to see the big spring musical each year at Tacoma Little Theatre when we first moved to town in the spring of 1955 (Song of Norway, that year).  That experience, along with my own acting debut in Hans Christian Anderson the same year, turned me towards a lifetime in the theater.  That love affair was reinforced by seeing my first professionally-produced play The Crucible, and musical Once Upon a Mattress.

I know that a lot of people at this site might be offended by this comment, but seeing the Off-Broadway production of Boys in the Band had an extremely negative on me as an eighteen year old college student on the verge of coming out of the closet.  I was shocked and horrified by the cast of characters who all seemed to me, at the time; to be depressed, bitter, or emotionally unstable people.  I cam back from New York determined to do anything I could to avoid that lifestyle.  In fact, I became engaged to a woman soon after that trip.  Now, in all fairness, I have never read or seen that play or movie since the time in New York.  Perhaps now, I would view the characters differently, but it was one of the most horrible experiences of my young life.

I had the reverse reaction when I first saw the TV-film of That Certain Summer in 1972.   After a lifetime of stereotypical gay characters in films, here were two honest-to-goodness MEN (Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen) who were in love with each other.  There was probably just as much angst for the characters as for those in Band, but all I remember from the film was the honesty of those two performances.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2005, 12:17:18 PM »

With no Charley's Aunt rehearsal on Thursday, Ann and I will be making a trip up to Seattle to see the pre-Broadway production of Princesses, starring the WSMA, Brent Barrett.

Will you be hanging around stage doors in order to provide we less fortunate ones with pictures of said  WSMA?

Jed

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2005, 12:20:36 PM »

Will you be hanging around stage doors in order to provide we less fortunate ones with pictures of said  WSMA?

Never been either of our style, but I suppose stranger things have happened.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up