Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU KNOW THE MANTRA  (Read 29270 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:YOU KNOW THE MANTRA
« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2005, 09:59:23 PM »

Forget your waffles come on get happy!

You'd better shake all the streusel away!

Lord, waffles these mortals be!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2005, 10:02:33 PM »

Oooh 42nd Street ...

"Waffle off to Buffalo"

or

"Shuffle off to Waffleo"

(sorry!)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #272 on: August 19, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »

Page Ten Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2005, 10:03:54 PM »

DR OzDerek!  How you doin'?
-- Anaïs Nin

ozderek

« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2005, 10:05:17 PM »

TOTD:

CD Player:  
* Anthony and the Johnsons
* Hobson and Warlow
* Nine (OBC)
* Kristina Fran Duvemala (3cds)

DVD:
* Tron
* Finding Nemo

Tomovoz

« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2005, 10:07:14 PM »

I'm not surprised that yo're watching Nemo again Derek. Say hello to Dory.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

ozderek

« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2005, 10:07:54 PM »

DR OzDerek!  How you doin'?

Not too bad today thanks DTM.  Had a great night at SUNSET BLVD with DR Tomovoz (et. partner Colin) last night.  Looking forward to catching a concert version of RAGTIME in 2 weeks and then a fully staged produciton of PARADE after that.

BTW - did I ever tell anyone I hate show tunes?   ;D

ozderek

« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2005, 10:09:48 PM »

I'm not surprised that yo're watching Nemo again Derek. Say hello to Dory.

Hmm. Just as well I'll forget that in 30 sec .. umm what was I saying.  Oh yes, just as well, - oops it's gone again.

???

Tomovoz

« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2005, 10:12:15 PM »

No doubt listening to Kristina so often is helping you with your Svedish OzDerek.  No wonder you shop at Ikea.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2005, 10:20:18 PM »

Since I'll be missing from these here parts for the next week or so...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR TCB  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JRAND  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JOSE  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  AND HAPPY HEALTHY VIBES TO ALL  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

See ya's in a week!
-- Anaïs Nin

ozderek

« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »

No doubt listening to Kristina so often is helping you with your Svedish OzDerek.  No wonder you shop at Ikea.

Yes. And when my dvd set of THE MUPPETS arrives I'll be able to understand exactly what Mr Swedish Chef has to say.  

Oh and for the record (and if anyone is remotely intersted in what is happening in musical theatre in Australia) ....

DIRTY DANCING: LIVE ON STAGE has broken box office records.  During the Sydney season a total of 20 tickets were not sold.  So far in Melbourne, only 1 performance has had 12 vacant seats.  Apart from that the HOUSE FULL sign is up every show.  (controversy .. it was not nominated for any of the Helpmann << similar to Tonys >> awards!!!!!!!!!!!!)

dreary old THE LION KING is playing to full houses as well.  I saw it in Sydney and was not at all moved or involved in any of the character's plights.  Absolutely no focus on the emotions of characters.  Just a lot of visual flair.  Same here in Melbourne.  

Rumour has it we will get AVENUE Q next year (a co-production between Melbourne Theare Co and The Frost Organisation) and looks like WICKED will open in Sydney mid 2006.  Possible talk of MARY POPPINS here but most likely not till 2007.  And SPAMALOT looks like a strong contender for a spot in the 2006 calendar.

** sigh **

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2005, 10:24:22 PM »

That really makes me smile. Last summer, when we came to NYC, one of my friends chose to go to cAROLINE OR CHANGE instead of AVENUE Q. Of course, we all came raving back to the room about AVENUE Q, and he felt obligated to talk about what a masterpiece CAROLINE was, much more so than any puppet show could possibly be. One listen to the cast recording of CAROLINE convinced me I made the right decision.

I would think CAROLINE would be a difficult show to mount and a difficult show to sell to the public.

CAROLINE OR CHANGE?  Isn't that the one with Malcolm Getz as the gay guy who was the illustrator who became straight in the second season so that he coud date Caroline (because nobody liked Eric Lutz) and .................

Oh, I guess that was CAROLINE IN THE CITY
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

François de Paris

« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2005, 10:29:27 PM »

Is it alright if I say John Barry?

Barry well, td, barry well!

ozderek

« Reply #283 on: August 19, 2005, 10:32:19 PM »

Well, I'm going to throw this old body on the sofa and recline.

Big hugs to all present and absent.

:)

Tomovoz

« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2005, 10:33:33 PM »

Recline and fall - more show tunes OzDerek.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »

Hi and bye DROZDEREK!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2005, 10:36:43 PM »

Yes, I will be chomping at the bit to find out about RED GARTERS!  What a fun movie!

Betty Garrett - just don't get her message.  She irritates me - maybe on a recording, it would be different.  I guess she can blame the blacklist, but I would imagine there weren't a LOT of producers lined up to feature her in anything in particular.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2005, 10:37:17 PM »

Saturday!!!

François de Paris

« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2005, 10:46:20 PM »

JRand, tell us if you like Betty Garrett please!

François de Paris

« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2005, 10:52:26 PM »

Yes, I will be chomping at the bit to find out about RED GARTERS!  What a fun movie!

Betty Garrett - just don't get her message.  She irritates me - maybe on a recording, it would be different.  I guess she can blame the blacklist, but I would imagine there weren't a LOT of producers lined up to feature her in anything in particular.

I think anyone would have a right to blame a blacklist -- btw, the reported words were not hers! -- whether they're talented or not!
Anyone!

Know the story about Jerome Robbins???

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2005, 10:57:04 PM »

Since I'll be missing from these here parts for the next week or so...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR TCB  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JRAND  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JOSE  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  AND HAPPY HEALTHY VIBES TO ALL  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

See ya's in a week!

Thank you D(TM), you are the first to send your greetings (unless you count Tomovoz, but I wasn't allowed to open the package from him).  We will expect a full report, Dan, when you return.

Derek, I am sorry I missed chatting with you tonight!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2005, 11:15:03 PM »

FJL: I believe we've had our easy quiz for the month.  However, the quiz players never cease to amaze me, but treachery lies ahead.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2005, 11:16:39 PM »

George, run do not walk to eBay or amazon, and pick up Rachmaninov's Second Symphony.  Tell them Bruce-O sent you - you'll be glad you did.  The third movement is one of the most glorious pieces of music you will ever hear.   It's been swiped by Mr. Carmen, by Don Sebesky, and by Mr. Manilow.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I'll get it, but I'm actually going to request it from the library where I work.  Much cheaper that way. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #293 on: August 19, 2005, 11:25:19 PM »

If someone could just kill me now, I'd be grateful. While I was talking out boy problems with my roommate (her problems with a boy, specifically), I missed a phone call from the Greek who apparently is at a "special interest" bar in Manhattan. At said bar, the Greek heard the theme song to the Golden Girls and just "had to call me."

JUST HAD TO CALL ME BECAUSE THEY HEARD A SONG THAT REMINDED THEM OF ME?? Who does that?!?! No one has ever done that to/for me before. What does it mean? Why am I overanalyzing? I'm so confused and it's the little stuff like this that makes me even moreso. If I were a braver man, I'd approach the subject with the Greek, but I'd like to be the one to be chased for once, which is exactly what my roommate and I hashed out for nearly two hours about HER weird relationship. Am I crazy for thinking that the Greek is somewhat interested and/or thinking about me? I know that I've never just called up a "friend" because I heard a song that reminded me of them.

God, give me the strength to accept the things that I cannot change. There's more to that mantra (or womantra), but I can't remember it.

Jason

« Reply #294 on: August 19, 2005, 11:25:51 PM »

Despite all my emotional turmoil, I'm loving the Muppets. I'm nearly through Disc Two!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #295 on: August 19, 2005, 11:29:40 PM »

Okay, by request (I think), here is Gaston and Belle from the Japanese cast recording.  (I hope it's not too big)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #296 on: August 19, 2005, 11:40:11 PM »

Perhaps "The Greek" was just thanking you being a friend DR Jason.  Perhaps a "drink" is what he needs for the courage. Perhaps the suggestion that you accompany him to said special interest bar may be fruitful.
There is that Oscar nominated song from 1959 "Strange Are The Ways Of Love". Of course it lost out to "High Hopes". We can read mesages in everything in times of heightened emotion!
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #297 on: August 19, 2005, 11:53:15 PM »

Who can explain it? Who can tell you why? Maybe the Greek was just calling to "thank me for being a friend" as the song goes...I don't know. All I know is, I think about the Greek when I wake up and I think about the Greek when I go to bed and I think about the Greek pretty much every moment in between and it's driving me mad.

I was invited to join the Greek and friend at the "special interest" establishment tonight, but I declined so as to allow the Greek and friend to catch up and spend some quality time together. I would have felt weird tagging along.

Tomovoz

« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2005, 11:58:16 PM »

It's nearly a 300 posts day.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2005, 11:58:40 PM »

We could make it.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up