Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: STRANGE ADVENTURES  (Read 28649 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:STRANGE ADVENTURES
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 05:45:12 AM »

BK - Shipping - Are you able to use the postage/label feature on usps.com?  Yes, you do have to type all the info in, but then it just prints out a label for you and you stick it on the packages.  You can even have the tracking portion printed with it.  However, it's usually the size of a half-sheet of 8.5x11 paper, so..  But, still.. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 05:45:42 AM »

I have been up since three.  Watched a movie.  Not quite as queasy now (ate a meat ball sub at seven last night - it was good, at a good restaurant, but maybe it's just not agreeing with me - I hate when things or people don't agree with me).  I may try to go back to bed soon, but I've got someone coming over at nine-thirty to pick up the Aron's reorder.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 05:46:22 AM »

DR Jose - have you done "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change"?  I've been wanting to ask you for a while, (even though it's ask bk day) what did you think of the arrangements?  I really like the score, I think it lays under the fingers well and it feels like it was written by a real pianist, not an arranger.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2005, 05:46:32 AM »

Hmm... Page Two!

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE!

And in honor of "So You Think You Can Dance?", I'm gonna have to say we have to pair up and do..

A LYRIC DANCE

-Whatever the heck that is.  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2005, 05:47:48 AM »

I think DRMBARNUM saw TEAM AMERICA at the actual Movie Thee-Yater and enjoyed it.  I haven't seen it, yet.

Good news about the Mini LP packaging.  AND I still say, MR BK, isn't there a program that will print labels when you do some type of data entry....and a two letter or number code added to the top or bottom left of the label would tell you which CD to put in the envelope:  NG = New Guy in Town, ST = STAGES, ATB = AFTER THE BALL, etc.

I've got our Kritzerland labels on rolls, so I have to hand print.  However, the code thing is a good idea, and I think I'll hand write what will go into each envelope right on the top of the label.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2005, 05:51:48 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

What was the title of the opening number that your friend remembered, and what was it's most memorable lyric?

The only thing I remembered prior to asking her the question, was part of the tune, and the following opening lyric:

Look at the people
Walk down the street
People you meet...

We both remembered finally that the song was called That's The Way The World Is Made.  What it had to do with Ring Lardner, I have no idea.  I don't think any of the songs had much to do with Mr. Lardner - all the spoken material was his.  For whatever reasons, the spirit of the revue worked, though, and seemed of a piece, and the audiences ate it up.   When I went to live in NY in 1969, I went to visit Ring Lardner, Jr. and I played him the songs.  He was very taken with them, and then said just what I've said - "They're really charming - don't know what they have to do with my father or his work, but they're good."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2005, 05:54:41 AM »

I have a question for BK - How were your sessions with Helen Reddy?  I've recently revisited "Center Stage" and still enjoy it immensley.  Also, how did it work for the CD single of "Surrender", was that a VS release and what input did you have on that single.  I won't even ask about the single's cover art!  :)

I really like Miss Reddy, and we made a good album.  I would have to say that she wasn't my favorite person to work with - I found her very strange.  She was always telling us of the previous night's sexual escapades with her very young Brazilian lover.  TOO MUCH INFORMATION, that's all I can tell you.  I told Petula Clark the story, and her reaction to it was priceless.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2005, 05:55:00 AM »

I guess I'll have to get by with my two hours of sleep.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2005, 05:56:07 AM »

DR Jose - have you done "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change"?  I've been wanting to ask you for a while, (even though it's ask bk day) what did you think of the arrangements?  I really like the score, I think it lays under the fingers well and it feels like it was written by a real pianist, not an arranger.  

Hey there!  Yes, I have done the show before, and, yes, the piano part is a true piano part.  *Although it did take me a few tries to find a good fingering for that one jazz lick in "Waiting".

When I did it, it was just me and a violinist.  Are you adding the optional bass?  *During the entr'acte, we went ahead and expanded the quasi-cadenza section, made it sort of like a challenge/Dueling Banjos sort of thing.  *Ooops... R&H please ignore that previous statement.  ;)

It's a fun show, and there are some funny songs, "A Stud and A Babe" had me laughing every night.  And then there are some surprisingly touching moments, "Shouldn't I Be Less In Love With You"... Great song.  I had a great cast, and the show is written in such a way to insure that each person gets their moment in the spotlight.  Just enjoy the ride down "The Highway of Love".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2005, 06:03:38 AM »

DR Jose, thanks for the comments.  We are adding the bass as we are in a medium size space, it will help make the sound fuller.  If we were in a smaller space it wouldn't need it.  I love my cast, they are the best ever, they've taken some pretty elementary staging (more about that LATER!) and made it their own.  We had a run-through for the designers the other night and it's in great shape and we open in 4 weeks or so, so that's really exciting!!!   One thing I've noticed with the score is that almost every number seems "ripped off" from other Broadway show song in terms of style and sometimes composer.  Eventually I'll start writting those thoughts down, but it's been fun discovering those things!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2005, 06:04:05 AM »

DR Matthew - What are you doing up so early?

*Remember, anything before 10:00am is early for me.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2005, 06:09:52 AM »

OK - Time to head out to meet up with DR elmore...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2005, 06:10:01 AM »

In today's notes, our esteemed BK wrote:

Cynthia understudied Glenn Close on Broadway in The Crucifer of Blood, which I believe our very own Pogue did here in Los Angeles, California, USA.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing this.  Ms. Close is a very small woman, and Mr. Pogue is not a very small man.  How did he ever fit in the costume?

Still, it's good to know he is so versatile!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matthew

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2005, 06:12:38 AM »

The DP leaves for the bakery at 4:45, this morning I just didn't go back to sleep.  I'm lovin' the early mornings, it's really quiet, except for Ella!  It sorta keeps me on his schedule, sleep-wise - it's a good thing.

Matthew

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2005, 06:14:10 AM »

I really like Miss Reddy, and we made a good album.  I would have to say that she wasn't my favorite person to work with - I found her very strange.  She was always telling us of the previous night's sexual escapades with her very young Brazilian lover.  TOO MUCH INFORMATION, that's all I can tell you.  I told Petula Clark the story, and her reaction to it was priceless.

Yes, I've heard that about Miss Reddy, a man in every port.  That would explain the cover art for the "Surrender" single!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2005, 06:14:56 AM »

And what WAS Miss Petula Clark's priceless reaction to Miss Helen Reddy's disclosures?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2005, 06:41:12 AM »

Greetings all.

My question for "Ask BK Day" is:  How am I going to find the time to catch up on all the posts I missed over the past 4 or 5 days??  Have I missed anything exciting?

Congrats DR Matthew on your ascension to the heavens.

For BB6 fans:
I despise that entire team.  You know which one I mean.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2005, 06:57:55 AM »

DR MBarnum mentioned yesterday;I remember an episode of Twilight Zone with Robert Redford, but I don’t recall the title. Is that you mentioned the one in which he performed a messenger from the heaven who took an old woman to the heaven?

Yes, DR Hisaka, that is the one. I think he was disguised as a police officer.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2005, 07:00:05 AM »

I think DRMBARNUM saw TEAM AMERICA at the actual Movie Thee-Yater and enjoyed it.  I haven't seen it, yet.

No, not me! I have not yet seen it.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2005, 07:02:26 AM »

My copy of ADAM-12 has shipped from Amazon.com!

Woohoo! I am glad that you bought it JRand!

I watched 3 episodes last night!

My all time favorite episode is on this set...the one where a widow lady's car is stolen, along with her children's Christmas gift (a tv) which was in the trunk.

And of course, watch for Dorothy Neumann to pop in as assorted old lady characters in various and sundried episodes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:03:25 AM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2005, 07:05:15 AM »

For BB6 fans:
I despise that entire team.  You know which one I mean.

You mean the Fiendsheep? :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2005, 07:16:55 AM »

DR Elmoore:  I find your ghost story fascinating.....  Spooky, but fascinating.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2005, 07:29:40 AM »

I am displeased with both BB6 teams, actually. Well, mostly I was surprised at Rachel's reactions....it just didn't seem like her.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2005, 07:59:34 AM »

DR MBarnum mentioned yesterday;I remember an episode of Twilight Zone with Robert Redford, but I don’t recall the title. Is that you mentioned the one in which he performed a messenger from the heaven who took an old woman to the heaven?

I'm not DR MBarnum, but I can answer. The episode you're referring to, where Redford played Mr. Death as a policeman, is entitled "Nothing in the Dark."

For some reason, I thought he was in another TZ episode, but I can't find it right now. Unbelievably, THE TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION has no actor index, a major flaw in the book's construction.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2005, 08:01:25 AM »

Ah, for the days of my youth. I used to be able to sleep until 10 or later, but now, if I sleep past 8, I find that a major miracle.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »

I, too, quite enjoyed DR Elmore's ghost stories. That makes city living SUCH an adventure!

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2005, 08:06:07 AM »

For a change, we have an overcast, relatively cool day (temp right now is 74). We had 2 1/2 inches of rain yesterday and maybe that helped cool things off, but the forecast suggests that heat is back on its way tomorrow wigh highs in the high 80s. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2005, 08:06:55 AM »

Yes, I got that Amazon form letter about NEW GUY IN TOWN. It's slated to be shipped September 6th, I think the note said.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2005, 08:07:59 AM »

I have lunch plans today, but I will be breaking open THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY for viewing this afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2005, 08:09:14 AM »

I have also agreed to go over tonight to help my friend Jeff move some cumbersome furniture around his new condo. I'l have to put watching RENO 911! and VERONICA MARS (to be DVRed tonight) on hold until I return.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up